-1-

The Wolf

They were probably the same age, Minho thought to himself. For the first time he’s seen the boy was when he’s 8, and they were somewhat the same height. The second time he’s seen the boy was when he’s 15 and again, their growth seems to match.

 

Minho sees him less and less after that. The rumor grew out of proportion and hunters from across the country visits the town like bees to flowers. It’s good business for the pubs and inns. For Minho, well.... sometimes, yes. Though it’s not quite something he can be grateful about.

 

 

“How could you give him such dirty water?” Minho asked with a cold tone. The hunter seemed timid at his bombard of questions.

 

“He gave you most of your dinner and you can’t even spare a clean river water?”

 

As the hunter still out of words to say, Minho gave the hunting dog a quick painless injection.

 

“If you can’t care for him the way he cares for you, give him away. Depend on yourself for food. Human bragged about being superior but all you lot do is be a parasite for these loyal ones.” Minho wrote down the prescription and gave it to him along with the bill.

 

“Th—thank you, doc.” The hunter said.

 

Minho ignored him and patted the poor dog’s head while telling him to take care. The hunter left and Minho sighed. He missed the days where his job includes mostly vaccination and simple cat flu. Some of these adventuring hunters really be using their companion animals as if they’re weapons.

 

Minho went back to his lab and sat on the chair that is starting to wear at the center where his bottom would be. He checks the data and carefully packed liquid one more time.

 

“It’s done.” Minho mumbled, “I’ll go there tomorrow.”

 

XXX

 

Minho remembers the silver eyes. It’s hard to miss and forget, though others mention the silver fur more. Minho remembers the silver eyes perfectly because the first time they met, he looked at Minho with those icy cold eyes. Very sharp. Bright. Piercing.

 

Minho wondered if he’d run at Minho and claw his eyes out like the teachers said he would. Like everyone said he would. He didn’t.

 

Minho couldn’t see his eyes the second time, because he was running. Minho saw the short white hair fluttering as he ran away, though. White pearly skin. He’s really fast. Minho tried to draw him that night. Body of a child, somewhat his age. Silver eyes. Minho couldn’t draw his facial features so he kept it blank. It’s a bit scary. But Minho still thinks those eyes are really pretty.

 

XXX

 

The forest guards were sleeping when Minho came to pass. He sighed. Fixed his robe and his hat before approaching further. He cleared his throat thinking it would be enough to wake the man dozing off, a gun recklessly being used as a bolster. It wasn’t enough. Minho cleared his throat louder.

 

No response still. Minho rolled his eyes and went past.

 

This is why the forest is messed up. No one is taking the guard job seriously. The hunters knew about this and kept using bribe money to enter the forest as free as they enter their own house. This is also why Minho has been losing sleep for months long. After this, he’d be able to rest better. He tightens his hold to the suitcase beside him. Along the way, he dodged some very messily put bear traps. Some of them still use them apparently after years of it proving to be useless.

 

It would never help, Minho thought to himself. This one is way too strong for that. Smart too. Smarter than half of the hunters trying to hunt him. Minho arrived in front of the cave and took a deep breath. In front of it are again some bear traps... but also food. All kinds of meat and fish, also weird-looking stuff that is probably exotic food. A lot of people have given up on hunting him you see, and thought somehow they could tame him or get a blessing for their hunt. Blessing, because people think every living thing that is hard to explain must be a god or some sort. Hah. Should’ve spent the time to train their lousy archery instead of praying.

 

‘Small steps, sure but not too fast’, he reminds himself as he walked into the cave entrance. The barrage of stuff that is either poison or gifts for the beast stops at one clean line. Like there’s an invisible wall there. There’s a good reason for it and Minho knows it well. He made one step into the untouched ground and he stops. His chest tight and hands a bit clammy. Not even moments after, the footsteps can be heard.

 

 

Wow. He’s big. Minho heard the stories, has a very clear idea in my mind on how would he look like now.

 

But seeing the real thing... Minho gulped. Guess some people run away with piss in their pants for a reason.

 

He’s three times Minho’s height. Eyes white and piercing, even in this form. His legs long and slim but you know damn well those claws could maul your heads off your body (happened once to someone). He started to growl at the sight of Minho. And Minho was sure his first words would sound shaky and broken. But he went on anyway. For the good of many.

 

 

“Okay, so.” He started simply. Pretty sure he’s had so many ‘hi’ from hunters with different intentions so might as well get right into it.

 

“I’m a veterinarian!” Minho added. The beast took a sniff. Probably figuring out if Minho is good enough for dinner.

 

“And you, sir, have a ton of fleas.”

 

 

XXX

 

Minho’s parents said the beast is pure and holy. Magical. Full of aura or whatever term it is they use to call a mighty being. Minho never really believed any of those. Sure the wolf looks... special. Different. But a mighty being? He looked at the poop very poorly covered in the middle of the forest and sighed as he thought about it. It doesn’t look like a magical poop. It’s healthy though, so that’s good. Minho drew the poop with as much detail as he could before running back to the doctor.

 

He showed it to him and he said, “Ah yes it’s looking good.”

 

Minho knew he wanted to be a vet since a kid so he went to the vet wearing his best clothes and asked his mom to brush his hair as neatly as possible. With all the bravery a ten years old could gather, he asked to be the doctor’s apprentice. The doctor laughed but then realized Minho might become a very useful assistant.

 

Assistant meaning he can sweep the floor for the doctor. That goes on for a long while until the doctor finally gave up and started to teach him real stuff before sending Minho to a vet school.  During vet school, other students pestered him about the legendary beast of his town. Minho doesn’t understand the hype and curiosity. He always answered the same way,

 

“He’s just a really huge wolf.”

 

The doctor decided to travel for the rest of his life because he’s bored of the town (don’t ask about his destination, he doesn’t have a clear idea of such things). So he left Minho, three months after his graduation, to run the clinic. Minho almost followed but the doctor held his shoulders and said,

 

“I need you here to care for the beast. It can’t be anyone else.” He said in the most serious tone Minho has ever heard.

 

“You’re just tryna see brothels in other town do you?” Minho whispered.

 

“Shut up you lil .”

 

So the sign saying dr. Hoon gets changed into dr. Minho.

 

XXX

 

Minho raised his suitcase which caused the beast to bark in the most intimidating voice Minho has ever heard. The cave made it sound 10 times worse too. Crap. Minho put his suitcase back down. He bit his lip and tried to calm himself.

 

‘come on now, you’ve read hundreds of pages about him. you know him better than he knows himself!’ Minho reminds himself.

 

“You—You are very sick! And you need to trust me, I—“

 

The beast made a sudden quick surge at him and Minho fell back to the ground. His hands quickly went over his face as a form of shield to whatever’s about to come. But nothing comes. Except for breaths of wind. Wind?

 

Minho braced himself and looked up.

 

Nostrils—oh wow okay that is very close—

 

Nostrils that breathe out winds to his face, right.

 

“You,”

 

 

The very big, coarse, yet ethereal voice slither its way to Minho's ears out of nowhere.

 

“Smells very strange.”

 

It’s the beast... Right. Yes, Minho read about this. During their beast form, they could communicate with the people they choose. The words will come as a voice, but it will go straight to your mind, not from the beast’s mouth. Unlike a regular voice that travels as a wave. It’s like a... telepathy, almost.

 

“I... bathed myself with dayflower. I learned that it’s a flower that is familiar to your kind.” Minho said in a still trembling voice. The dayflower really spared him more seconds of life. Books are amazing indeed.

 

“Book? Hah.” The beast mocked him. “What book? Many hunters have come slathering themselves in strange smells, claiming some book taught them that  so I will spare their silly little heads.”

 

“Oh—uh—it’s a medical book.”

 

“What is medical?” the beast squinted his eyes just a bit. The wolf is more expressive than Minho thought. Or learned.

 

“It’s... it’s uh... medicine. Uh... when one is feeling bad—hunters! Have you ever seen hunters who were hurt but they’d come back after some times looking good again?”

 

The beast tilted its head.

 

“Yes?”

 

“They use medicine. It’s something that helps people get better after something hurts them.”

 

“Huh. Right.”

 

“Yes.” Minho gulped, recognizing a strange occurrence of chance laid upon him, “I—I am one of the people who does that! Help people get better! But in my case, I help animals, not humans.”

 

The beast went quiet at that. And Minho waited. Suddenly the beast chuckled.

 

“Try again with something original next time.”

 

“What?”

 

“Countless of hunters has tried to give me poisons, lying that they are something else. You are just the same.”

 

“No! Wait—“

 

The beast barked at Minho’s face and his ears rang.

 

“NO ONE TELLS ME TO WAIT!”

 

“Oh my God do not scream to my head!” Minho held both his ears.

 

The wolf squinted at him and ran back to the curves and darkness of the cave. Minho stood back up and sighed. This is tiring him already.

 

“You have fleas!! Do you know what they are?? It’s the small biting insects on your body! The ones making you itchy!” Minho yelled to the cave. No response.

 

“Your fleas! Are too many!! And it’s infecting the mammals around the forest! They’re getting sick too because of you! I’m here to cure you!”

 

After a few seconds, the wolf’s head suddenly popped out from the corner where his shadows disappear earlier.

 

“These are my friends.”

 

“Huh??”

 

“They are not fleas! I named them all!” the silver eyes glared in anger.

 

“Friend—what are you talking about, they’re literally biting and your blood!”

 

“A small price for their amazing company.”

 

“They bring parasites into your bloodstream!!”

 

“Why do you speak as if you know my friends better than I do?”

 

“Are you serious right now??”

 

“You stand on my doorway, calling my friends a flea, and you’re asking me if I’m serious?? I’m a worshipped being!”

 

“Who has a flea! Gosh, this is why I knew people who think you’re some kind of God needs to read more book.”

 

“LEAVE!” He roared. Minho covered his ears and groaned in pain. He’s had enough of this today.

 

XXX

 

“Why are we stalking him?” Young Minho asked.

 

“Because he’ll run if we don’t.” The doctor said, still wearing the very catchy binoculars on his face.

 

“No, I mean why is it important to check on him periodically?”

 

The doctor took off his binoculars and looked at me with disbelief, “He’s the wolf.”

 

“You said there are other kinds like him in other parts of the world. He’s not special.”

 

“Special doesn’t always mean you have to be the only one.” The doctor looked back in the direction of where the lone beast is drinking from a clear stream, “He’s special because he’s here. With us.”

 

Minho was about to argue some more but then a bright light shone out of nowhere and when it died down, Minho saw it. The human figure of the wolf. Silver hair. Pearly white skin. The sight of his caught Minho’s chest in a strong grip.

 

A face. Please, a face. Minho’s mind pleads without him realizing it.

 

But dr. Hoon made one reckless step and caused a dry twig to crack under his boots. The figure quickly shifted back to a wolf and ran faster than the wind. Minho might’ve hated the doctor a bit that day.

 

XXX

 

 

Minho knew before closing his eyes that night, that he’ll go back to that cave again the next day. Try other ways. He sighed in defeat.

 

The next day, Minho came bringing a huge board filled with pictures of fleas. Specifically ones he’s been getting from his clients, which he deduct to be all originating from the wolf. These fleas are also spreading thanks to the illegal hunters who enter the cave perimeter.

 

“This guy and this guy has been on the rise,” Minho pointed with a wooden stick.

 

“You know people don’t step over that line anymore for years. Because I usually scratch their face off.”

 

“Yes, and you don’t do it again these days, most probably thanks to the food offerings. You’re fulfilled.”

 

“Are you saying I have been tamed?”

 

“I’m saying that this,” Minho taps at the board “is a hazard to your body. And other animals.”

 

The wolf rolled his eyes and turned his body to curl and sleep.

 

“Do you know how many dogs went to my clinic this month alone, all in a poor condition because of your fleas?”

 

Minho could hear a fake snoring sound being made.

 

“Twenty. This is a small town, getting twenty very sick dogs is a big thing. And do you know how many I managed to save? Only thirteen.”

 

The fake snoring stopped. The beast pulled his head out from the roll his body made and looked at Minho.

 

“Doesn’t that just mean you’re a bad doctor?”

 

Minho left the board there and went home feeling more than annoyed. He didn’t know the wolf shifted to his human form and walked towards the board he very meticulously made moments after he left. The wolf read all of it and started to think about a lot of things.

 

 

Minho got busy. Couldn’t find the time to visit the wolf and make points again. There’s a sudden upsurge of digestive infection. Basically means so many cats with diarrhea. Minho swore if he could talk to animals, the first thing he does would be to tell these damn cats to stop drinking weird like toilet water when their owner gives them a perfectly clean and tasty clear water.

 

That rainy day, right when he’s going to flip the open sign to closed, icy silver eyes looked right back at him through a shroud of shadows outside his glass-paned door. Minho fell back and hit a cabinet. The door he was about to lock slowly opened. The sound of rain pouring came in before the figure did.

 

An inpatient puppy started to howl as the figure came in. He closed the door behind him before raising his palm towards Mogu, the howling pup. Mogu stopped immediately. The black shroud... is a cape apparently. Black, rough fabric. Minho gulped and tried to stand straight again.

 

It’s him, Minho told himself.

 

The hand then retracted itself to open the hood covering the figure’s face.

 

Ah. Right. His hair is still silver, Minho thought to himself. The icy eyes, despite being smaller and is intact to a more familiar less-threatening figure... somehow made Minho more nervous. A face, finally after years. A full lips and nose with a round tip. He has a full cheek and it contradicts his wolf facial skeletal figure. A face. So this is the face. His face.

 

“It’s you,” Minho mumbled, to himself mostly. But the man heard and he asked,

 

“Who?”

 

Oh. That’s a completely different voice. Minho almost thought he’s going to have that dragon-in-games type of voice in this form too.

 

“The wolf,” Minho said. the man’s eyes widen in shock.

 

“How did you know?”

 

“I’ve seen you.”

 

“How?”

 

How is Minho supposed to explain that he stalked the man for years before he went to vet school and became a vet?

 

“I used to hang out in the forest a lot. Seen you a couple of times. Years ago.” Minho shrugged.

 

The wolf eyed him with a suspicious look, “Weirdo.” He said.

 

He’s the shapeshifting giant werewolf but Minho is the weird one? Sure.

 

“Should’ve been a dramatic moment of reveal but you ruined it,” the wol—man said with a sigh, as he rubbed his muddy barefoot to the rug.

 

“What are you doing here?” Minho asked instead.

 

The wolf ignored him and went to Mogu. He squatted in front of Mogu’s cage and started baby-talking the dog.

 

“I was looking for you! Eh? You did? Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Minho just watched, confused and in awe at the same time. The man kept talking to Mogu, humming and nodding as Mogu excitedly bark here and there. After quite a while, the man finally finished the conversation and left Mogu who’s still staring at him while wiggling his bent tail.

 

“I accept your proposition.” The wolf finally said. Minho blinked a few times before asking the silliest ‘what’ the wolf has ever seen.

 

“You said I’m ill. And that I have to get one of your medican potions.”

 

“......... Medical?”

 

“Whichever.”

 

“Why, what—why are you suddenly here? And agreeing to it?”

 

“I’ve talked to the forestlings. And they share your worries. They seemed to think these fri—fleas are indeed unfriendly to us.” He nodded.

 

“Forestlings?” Minho repeated.

 

“Animals.”

 

“Of course.”

 

“They also mentioned a certain man who has been helping them. Visiting and catching them rather forcefully,” the man squinted his eyes at Minho, before calming his eyebrows again. “But seemed to be curing them after all. So!”

 

Minho never looked away so fast before in his life. Not even when there are women whose skirts are blown up by the wind. The man suddenly ripped off his cape, revealing all bare skin underneath to Minho.

 

“Do it now.” The man put both his hands on his hips, currently too vulgar for the state he’s in.

 

“Y—y—your clothes! Wear it again!” Minho panicked.

 

“What, why?”

 

“You don’t have to strip!”

 

“But the forestlings said you touched them all over..”

 

“Yes! But—just, wear it. Wear it. I need to get some things ready!”

 

Minho haphazardly collects all his forms and papers. It all felt surreal still. He kept looking up from the form before he asked, making sure he’s not crazy. No, he’s not. There’s no man alive who would be able to have that silver eyes. Also humanly impossible and no dye would be able to create that hair color. The silver eyes, it’s... exactly how Minho remembered it.

 

 

Name: ................

 

 

“Do you have a name?”

 

“What are you talking about, of course I do. Seungyoon.”

 

Name: Seungyoon

Cat / Dog / Rabbit / others (wolf)

Date of Birth: ...........

 

“Do you know your birthday?”

 

“What is that?”

 

“The day you were born.”

 

“No. It was winter, though.”

 

“Do you know how old you are?”

 

“No.”

 

“How many winters have you live through?”

 

“How would I know.”

 

Minho sighed. Okay, that’s fine. Can check from his teeth. After a few more questions that bear little to no fruit, Seungyoon started to question back why are those necessary. Minho gave up and asked him to stand on the weight scale. Minho took notes of everything he could see. Mentally making notes on things his study prove to be useful and some that seemed to be inaccurate.

 

“When arhe yhou ghoing tho chure mhe?” Seungyoon asked with a thermometer still in his mouth.

 

“What?” Minho asked as he pulled it out, noting the body temperature.

 

“When are you going to cure me??” he repeated, impatience clear.

 

“In a second.” Minho quickly made notes. Seungyoon peeked but doesn’t understand what’s written. Seungyoon can read, it’s just that Minho’s writing is incomprehensible. Minho checked his mouth with much difficulty as the wolf insisted it’s a weird thing to have the doctor shine a light at his mouth and teeth. Minho checked all his extremities and joints.

 

Finally, Minho started to check Seungyoon’s head. He immediately found a flea and winced.

 

“Yep. Okay. This is an incredible amount of flea as I suspected.”

 

Seungyoon looked at him with sparkly eyes.

 

“In a bad way,” Minho added.

 

“Right.” His face visibly went down.

 

Minho took the formula he made, still safely kept in the suitcase. He tried to explain to Seungyoon how the medicine will work but Seungyoon looked so utterly uninterested so he cut it short.

 

“Basically! This will kill them all in two days. You ready?” Minho asked, the small bottle of medicine in his hand. Seungyoon shrugged. Minho poured the prescribed small amount straight to Seungyoon’s scalp and sighed.

 

“There. All done.” Minho said.

 

Seungyoon on the other hand looked very unimpressed.

 

“That’s it??” He asked.

 

“Yeah. I made this medicine as simple as possible but I assure you the outcome will be amazing.”

 

 

And amazing it is. Two days later Minho visits the cave to find wolf-figured Seungyoon sulking while looking at a corner. Minho approached and saw a heap full of dead fleas gathered together. Wow. Disgusting.

 

“They’re really all dead.” The now huge wolf whined.

 

“Yes. And it’s good. You’re going to feel better instantly, your muscles will work better. Your skin will feel fresh, your fur will grow great, and most importantly you won’t get any blood parasites from them.”

 

“I don’t understand.” The wolf huffed.

 

“It’s great things.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Also I’ve been going around the perimeter and giving the medicine to everyone with the flea. Now the forest will be flea-free.” Minho nodded, completely satisfied with himself.

 

“You should burn those.” Minho pointed at the dead big fleas.

 

“No! I will bury them properly.” Seungyoon sniffled.

 

“Alright then,” Minho mumbled.

 

And he was right. Minho returned a few days after for a quick check. The wolf looks healthier already, he seemed to be gaining quite well. He also mentioned feeling fresh and not itchy at all.

 

“I forgot how it feels not to be itchy,” the wolf said.

 

“Great, that sounds horrible.”

 

After looking at his job well done, Minho bid farewell. He told the wolf to take care and he’s probably mistaken but the wolf sounded just a tad bit sad the doctor waved goodbye.

 

 

 

 

 

“I DON’T FEEL SO WELL.”

 

“OH MY LORD—“ Minho dropped all of his books and it murdered his toes. He was dying on the floor as the wol—no, human again this time ranted about feeling pain on his stomach as he stood on Minho’s window at an ungodly hour. After gathering his souls that were scattered on the floor, Minho reluctantly opened the front door and let him in.

 

“Are you again?” Minho asked.

 

“I’m wearing a cape.”

 

“Nothing underneath?”

 

“Well of course!”

 

Minho sighed and listened to his complaints which ended up with Minho scolding the man because—

 

“You know that fruit makes your stomach hurt. Everytime. So why do you keep eating it??”

 

“But—“

 

“No. Stop, eating it.”

 

“But it’s—“

 

“STOP eating it. You got a hundred other options to choose from!”

 

Seungyoon whined like a child as Minho made his medicine. The medicine is to be drunk this time and the wolf reacted as Minho fed him poison.

 

“What—“ he gagged “IN THE WORLD IS THIS?? ARE YOU KILLING ME?”

 

Minho rolled his eyes. Opened up a packet of dog snack and handed it to Seungyoon. He calmed down right after.

 

That’s how life went for quite a while. The wolf would visit him from time to time, wearing his beloved cape until one day Minho got enough view of his bare and lent him a bag full of clothes. Seungyoon would come with the smallest complaint of health, such as a small scrap from a tree branch. Sometimes he has no problems at all, he’s just there for the dog snacks. Minho told him he’s gotta pay one of these days.

 

“But I’m a divine being.” Was his only response before stealing another packet of snack.

 

One day it was Minho who got sick. He spent the day sleeping and he woke up to a table full of fruits and other stuff from the forest. Seungyoon said, “the deer’s mom told me it’s good for you!” as he pointed at the grass. Yeah how about no, but thanks though.

 

Minho started to call him a friend in his mind before he realized he did. I mean what else would he call it? The man would come almost everyday, they’d talk and play games together because Seungyoon insisted. He saw some kids playing hide and seek in the forest and asked Minho to do it with him. So they both tried to hide and search in the rather small clinic and its second floor where Minho’s living space is. Minho thought to himself that this is ridiculous. But he’s having fun so he shrugged it off.

 

One day Seungyoon brought Mogu with him and told Minho that Mogu wanted to play too. Minho was first of all amazed that Mogu completely understood the rules Seungyoon explained with his human language. Mogu sat on the corner of the room, acting as the seeker right away. Minho and Seungoon scattered around the room, thinking of places to hide. Seungyoon ran to Minho’s closet and closed the doors.

 

Minho was out of ideas, under the bed and under the table is off-limits because Mogu is short and he’d see Minho right away. Mogu barked on the first floor, meaning he’s gonna start searching. Minho suddenly felt a pull on his arms and he found himself shoved into the closet. Seungyoon is right in front of him, putting a finger in front of his mouth. He let out the smallest ‘ssh’.

 

It’s an enclosed space. It’s really bad timing, but Minho took it to have a reality check. This... being in front of him, looking at him with icy silver eyes that seemed like it could pierce through his mind, was once an entity that made Minho believed in something that maths couldn’t solve. Because he’s unreal. He’s gotta be unreal. There are many magical creatures in this world but not like this. Not like Seungyoon.

 

Minho even knows his name now. Seungyoon. He remembers the first time he saw Seungyoon. Silver eyes.

 

 

The most beautiful thing he’s ever seen.

 

 

Minho could’ve sworn Seungyoon was inching closer the split second before Mogu loudly barked at the closet. Finding their scent, it seemed. Seungyoon opened the door and surprised Mogu with a jump. The duo then roll around the floor, Seungyoon laughing and Mogu making cute little chirping sounds.

 

Minho thought hanging out with a magical creature for too long messed up his brain.

 

 

 

The hunter caused a crowd. Carried the massive white thing, some blood dripping down from it with pride.

 

“I killed the beast!!” he shouts out.

 

The crowd gasped and started to roar in shock. A leading townsman ran up to him and asked if it’s really the wolf’s tooth. The hunter said it is.

 

“The beast is not immortal nor he is undefeatable! You lot shall remember my name! I freed you from its claw!!”

 

Minho was pretty sure the crowd wasn’t happy. The wolf never bothered them, not once. Some even started to worship the wolf as the town guardian. It’s the outsiders who think they have the right to disturb and kill the wolf, playing hero. The wolf is only holding his territory, the cave. He never attacked for no reason. The people he killed before were all trying to hurt him in one way or another. He never kills out of hate. Out of want.

 

He’s not human. And that’s why he’s not evil. He cannot be evil.

 

 

Minho was trembling and out of breath when he arrived at the cave. He screamed Seungyoon’s name so hard. Tears were threatening to fall.

 

“What’s with you screaming so early in the morning?”

 

 

Minho ran at him. Hugged his legs and finally, finally took a deep breath again. He’s alive. Completely fine.

 

“I thought.. he killed you...” Minho gasped through his words.

 

It felt warm and there’s a bright light that Minho couldn’t look at directly before the fur he felt all over his embrace turned into skin. And arms that hugged him back.

 

“Who?” Seungyoon asked.

 

“A hunter. He was carrying a huge tooth with him, he said—said it was yours.”

 

“Ahh... that. My tooth falls off.” Seungyoon simply said. Minho let go of his hug and looked at Seungyoon in worry.

 

“How??”

 

“What do you mean how,” Seungyoon chuckled, “You told me it’s normal! That’s my only canine tooth that hasn’t fall yet, remember?”

 

Ah. Right. Minho took data of that, he’s got Seungyoon’s complete medical report including his teething. How could he forget?

 

“Right. Oh... right.” Minho seemed out of it. Seungyoon just smiled and pulled him into another hug.

 

“I’m alright,” Seungyoon said.

 

Minho returned to town and told everyone the wolf is alright. Admitted Minho has been in contact with him because of the recent flea thing and the townspeople were amazed. They asked why didn’t Minho tell everyone about it, he could be famous. Minho asked the townspeople to keep the issue a secret from outsiders and with it decided that working in silence from the townsfolk wouldn’t help anyone. He started to tell them everything. About the wolf keeping the forest safe for years. Dangerous creatures from other regions are all held back from invading the very productive forest and the town simply because the wolf is there. He protects the town. In his own, silent way.

 

Just like the doctor said, “He’s special because he’s here. With us.”

 

“He didn’t even mean to do it. He only knows that the forest is his home and he protects everyone in it. He never hunts animals excessively too, only the old ones. So please, I hope... everyone can hand in hand protect the forest. The wolf with it, and all the animals. They’re a part of this town afterall.”

 

 

“You were so cool,” Seungyoon later that night as he laid on Minho’s bed. Minho rolled his eyes and continued writing down Seungyoon’s medical form. The teething happened and he needs to jot it down.

 

“You look cooler than those high-rank soldiers who visit the town sometimes. Everyone was listening to you!” Seungyoon rolled to lay on his stomach, looking at Minho with the ever-annoying smirk.

 

“Shut up.” Minho sighed.

 

Seungyoon left the bed and hugged Minho’s sitting figure from behind. He nuzzled his hair to Minho’s neck and it made the man shriek.

 

“What are you doing?” Minho slightly giggles from the tickle.

 

“You hugged me first today! Why don’t you like it when I do it?”

 

“Your hair is ticklish! And before, I was—“ Minho cleared his throat, “Panicking.”

 

Seungyoon hummed. He suddenly let go of the hug and Minho tried to ignore the small regret he has acting like he didn’t want it.

 

But Seungyoon simply stood on his side, cupped Minho’s face with both hands, and leaned down. Minho is pretty sure he felt his heart stop. It’s a soft touch on his forehead and Minho felt weird that the softness of his lips overwhelmed him so much. He melted inside. Seungyoon pulled back and let his face go. Minho felt warmth in his whole face.

 

“It’s how friends say they care for each other. I read it in your book.” Seungyoon said.

 

 

Seungyoon has been reading books Minho has about his kind. Social interactions, hierarchy systems. Minho let him borrow whatever he wants after Seungyoon told him the reason why Seungyoon is in that cave alone, all these years. His mother went for a hunt and never came back. Before she left she told Seungyoon to protect the cave. Protect it no matter what, she said. So Seungyoon stayed. He realized years later about what probably happened to his mother. Seungyoon knew nothing about himself other than the things he found out by pure instinct. Such as what to eat, how to hunt, how to shift and turn back. With the book, he looked happier. Knowing better who he is and how his folks go.

 

Seungyoon was right about the forehead kiss, by the way. It is how friends interact in his kind. Showing affection.

 

“Kiss me back!” Seungyoon demanded, squatted down by Minho’s chair, and pushed his face towards Minho.

 

 

He’s so silly. Cute too, Minho had to admit. Minho sighed and complied. Acting like his heart wasn’t doing somersaults inside.

 

 

Minho liked working alone in the clinic. It’s a good place for him. He feels at peace, in his element. But when Seungyoon asked if he can work with Minho, it wasn’t hard to say yes. Seungyoon had a list of things he jots down in his head to appeal his work ethics to Minho, and he was baffled when Minho said yes without thinking much.

 

The townspeople seemed to notice things. They kept making second glances. But none of them asked, and Minho is fine with them figuring things out on their own. Seungyoon is a great help calming stressed-out animals too, so it all fits.

 

Seungyoon had a hard time with the first deaths in the clinic. It’s inevitable but he didn’t know that at first. One night after Seungyoon asked Minho to sleep in his bed because he was still feeling sad over a little puppy who passed merely days after he was born, Seungyoon told him;

 

“You’re really strong. Stronger than me.”

 

“How so?”

 

“You don’t cry at death. Even when it hurts you.”

 

“I still cry.”

 

Seungyoon turned to lay on his side so he can look at Minho’s face.

 

“You do?”

 

“Yes. Sometimes.”

 

“Alone?”

 

Minho looked back at him and smiled just slightly, “Alone.”

 

Seungyoon hugged him to sleep that night, leaving his own bed Minho has set up for him. And even though Minho’s beating heart still couldn’t take the hug in a calm state, he also feels so much comfort. So much of it that Minho eventually got the best sleep for what feels like years.

 

Minho went to the town’s mayor’s son's wedding. It’s a beautiful day. Coming home from it, Seungyoon had so many questions about weddings.

 

“There’s that too, right? In my kind?” He asked.

 

“There is. Well, sort of.”

 

“Yes! The promise is kind of the same, to be together forever and after. Care for each other. Protect each other.”

 

“Yeah. That’s pretty much the concept.” Minho nodded.

 

Seungyoon stared at him for a good minute. Minho looked back and asked what’s on his face.

 

“Are we married?” Seungyoon asked. Minho almost choked out his coffee.

 

“N—no. We’re not.”

 

“I think we’re supposed to be married. We protect each other. We’re always together. And we care about each other. Right?”

 

Minho just laughed his nervousness out loud, “It’s not that easy! Marriage is... between people who have loved each other for a while. And—and they want to spend the rest of their lives together feeling that love.”

 

“You don’t love me?” Seungyoon asked instead. Minho cleared his throat.

 

“Do you even know what love is?” Minho asked.

 

“What do you think it is?”

 

“That’s a big question.”

 

“Try to answer.”

 

Minho felt his hands clammy and his heart going up to his throat.

 

“It’s... wanting them to be happy. And healthy. And be safe, be warm. It’s wanting to be with them all the time.” Minho said. just spitting what feels right instead of thinking it out too much. Because he can’t think right now. Not with the silver eyes looking straight at him. Seungyoon hummed.

 

“And... wanting to hold them close. Forever.”

 

 

“Then I guess I do love you.” Seungyoon smiled.

 

 

XXX

 

Seungyoon saw the boy first, unlike what the boy liked to believe. Way before the boy looked at the wolf in the eyes. An interesting fella, Seungyoon used to call him. Maybe it’s the way he’s talking to the animals. The way he’d keep his distance and always wait for the animals to come first. Or maybe it’s his smell that Seungyoon just happens to like. The smell of freshly baked bread he’d have stored in his back pocket. The smell of paint and canvas he’d bring to the forest. He smells funny. In the best away.

 

When they meet again after years, it wasn’t the dayflower that calmed Seungyoon down. It was Minho’s scent. The wolf recognized his scent.

 

He was excited. But he’s also wary. The boy disappeared for years, the wolf couldn’t even trace his smell in town. He was worried the boy might’ve been dead. Even the strange man wearing a weird thing on his eyes whom the boy used to tail everywhere disappear too. When he suddenly appears, looking so different but exactly the same... Seungyoon didn’t know what to do. Less smell of paint, more smell of animals—so many animals. He acted a bit different too, but Seungyoon couldn’t bring himself to ignore the excitement in his chest that the boy is back.

 

And he keeps coming back.

 

XXX

 

And now, the wolf is feeling something strange in his chest. And his stomach. Like he’s full of air and it kept wooshing his insides. Especially when he told the boy about his feelings. Reciprocation is not something a wolf should yearn for. They just love. They feel it and give it. But perhaps hanging out with humans made him want other things.

 

Like to be loved back. To have affirmation. And it does make Seungyoon feel like he’s floating when Minho said,

 

“Well... I love you too.”

 

Seungyoon smiled wide, unable to contain. Minho was a bit struggling it seemed, with the way his face reddens like an apple. But Seungyoon doesn’t mind. The night felt less cold that day and it’s a happy thought to know that perhaps the night would never be cold again.