Step Two: Allow for battle of dominance. Observe and take notes.

How to Sail a Ship: Yeri's Guide to High School Stardom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

QOTD: ‘If you’re a queen bee, then I’m their ing a.’ -Irene

 

            Of all the places to spend her time after classes were finished for the day, Yeri didn’t think that the gym would be even the fiftieth place candidate. Usually on rainy days, she was busy booking it to a cafe for that perfect music video-esque shot, blurred background and steam from the mug and all. But not today. Today, Yeri was being a badass investigative loyal friend to Saeron by attending tryouts for volleyball and cheer.

            Now, normally tryouts happen in different places. At least, that’s what Yeri had thought. It worked out for her though, because the cheer team was forced inside due to the slippery conditions on their normal practice grounds, and in turn, Yeri didn’t have to split her body to watch over Seulrene Saeron was able to stay in one place to see which sport she wanted to tryout for.

            Irene and Joy were stretching in one corner of the gym, next to the bleachers, and Seulgi was bouncing a ball off her forearms to warm up. There was a tense atmosphere that Yeri knew had to have been felt by every living entity inside the gym, spacious as it was, and the plebs waited with bated breath for something to happen.

            Who knew Kim ing Saeron would be the catalyst.

            “So what sport are you here to try out for?”

            Saeron smiled widely at the random cheerleader who had walked up to her and shrugged. “I’m deciding between cheer and volleyball, so I’m mainly just here to watch. Maybe I’ll join whichever team gets better support, just since ya know. Gotta play a sport that gets reactions from the school.”

            Yeri knew they were absolutely ed when both Irene and Seulgi’s heads snapped up to Saeron’s direction at the mention of which team was better supported by the school. The fire lit up in their eyes as they marched towards Saeron, so in-sync that it was almost intimidating (Yeri sighed romantically at how much of a power couple they seemed like), and shot each other a glare upon meeting up. That’s when Yeri shook slapped herself out of her reverie (not literally, of course, because that would damage her beautiful face) and leaned forward from her seated position in the bleachers to watch the interaction. No going down to save Saeron, who was staring at her pleading. Yeri was playing spectator today.

            “Hi!” Irene’s voice was sweet and inviting despite the daggers she was hurling at Seulgi with her eyes. “You said you wanted to join cheer?”

            Seulgi cleared . “Actually, she mentioned volleyball.”

            “I knew your eyes were bad, but it seems like your hearing needs to be checked too, Kang Seulgi.”

            “Oh please. The entire school knows that I can hear a volleyball whistling through the air even from two kilometers away. If anything, you’re the one who’s so deaf that you can’t hear all the people talking about how fake you are.”

            Saeron’s eyes got wide. “Um, actually—”

            “I’m fake?” Irene scoffed. “That’s some audacity you have there, because the last time some guy asked you out you turned him down because ‘you weren’t looking for a relationship,’” she said, air quoting the last part.

            Seulgi narrowed her eyes. “Bae Irene.” Her voice was threatening.

            “What? Afraid I’ll spill something that’ll ruin your perfect image?”

            “Don’t forget that I know all about the ugly green monster that lives inside of you, Irene.”

            This time Irene narrowed her eyes. “You speak as if you know everything about me.”

            “You speak as if you even cared about my image in the first place.”

            Yeri was surprised to see Irene falter a bit, but the surprise didn’t last long, quickly turning into annoyance when Saeron awkwardly waved her arms to pacify the situation. Jesus, what did she think she was? An octopus?

            “Hey, hey! Um...I’m really here to see both. I haven’t decided yet. I’ll see which team gets more tryouts and general support from the bleachers.”

            Yeri wanted to slap her best friend but settled on facepalming instead. Way to make them fight again.

            “Of course!” Seulgi gave Saeron a charming grin that made Yeri’s heart skip a beat. “Volleyball is just the sport for you. We are much more inclusive and accommodating for beginners, and the school funds all of our travels whenever we have competitions. The seats always sell out when we play at home.”

            “Well…” Irene butted in. “The cheer team also gets full funding, and we even get funds for international competitions, including the one we attend every year in China. Sometimes, people will come to games for our halftime performances and leave, so I can ensure you that we receive even more support than volleyball does.”

            “But don’t forget that cheer never wins those international competitions, so it’s only a matter of time before their funding gets cut. Volleyball is a seven time back-to-back champion for the high school leagues.”

            “The school doesn’t even expect volleyball to go international. They’ve been pushing cheer ever since we got two recruitments from internationally-acclaimed professional teams.”

            “And we’ve had three Olympic recruits, one of whom came back to speak to us. The admin loved it.”

            “Our coach has higher pay than the volleyball coach. Says a lot about which team the school values more.”

            “Our coach has only been here for a year, so that’s only natural. But her starting pay is higher than what the cheer coach’s starting pay was when she first started.”

            “Inflation must be accounted for.”

            “The school uses employment contracts. Inflation is irrelevant because the pay raises for our coach has been higher in this past year at three percent compared to the cheer coach’s pay raise at two percent.”

            “Please,” Saeron pleaded. Her desperation went unnoticed.

            “That doesn’t prove anything about the school’s support. Your coach was training to be an Olympic athlete, so her price is naturally higher, but your former coach is a different story.”

            “Ah yes, I forget. My former coach who didn’t get the same pay as your coach because she made a slave contract with the school back when unions weren’t a thing.”

            “For your information, the teachers still don’t have a union.”

            “But everyone is much more conscious about these things nowadays than ten years ago.”

            “You just have nothing to argue about my point on how—”

            “No!” Saeron shouted suddenly. “I’m not trying out today. I’m just going to watch. I won’t join either team.”

            “Are you sure…?” the two asked in sync. Saeron nodded so hard that her fringe flipped over the crown of her head.

            “I’ll just watch and maybe join next year. I might join basketball, who knows.”

            Yeri peered at her friend. Finally, she was using her brain.

            “Well, cheer is always open if you want to join this semester.”

            “Volleyball sometimes takes mid-semester walk-ons.”

            “We once had someone—”

            “Yeah, of course.” Saeron bit her lip and glanced at Yeri, who had an eyebrow raised at her. “Um, I guess I’ll just head to the bleachers then.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter