Chapter 3

YOU ARE MY HEART: Edited Ver.

When Hwasa and Whee-In reached their home and got out of their car, Whee-In quicken her pace toward Hwasa and hugged her tightly from behind. Hwasa was surprised, but at the same time she was happy.

“What's wrong?” Hwasa questioned sweetly.

Whee-In shook her head against Hwasa’s back before she spoke.

“Nothing, just let me hug you for a little while.”

Hwasa complied without hesitation and placed her hands atop of Whee-In’s, which was wrapped around her waist. After a few moment, Whee-In let Hwasa go, took a deep breath, and wiped away the tears from her eyes.

“Let’s go pack some things for Yong-Sun unnie and Byul-Yi unnie.” Whee-In spoke in a soft voice.

Hwasa nodded with a smile as she grabbed Whee-In's hand. They walked into the dorm with their hands held tightly together. Whee-In went to prepared the food, while Hwasa went to pack the clothes. Hwasa packed about a week worth for both Moonbyul and Solar. She noticed a box of mint chocolate on the shelf in the corner of the room. She recalled that Solar always ate it when she was feeling down. She checked inside of the box to made sure there were still some left, before packing it along with Solar’s clothes. She went and packed some essentials as well; such as towels, toothbrush, shampoo, etc.

Whee-In, on the other hand, was making some sandwiches. Once everything was ready, they quickly made their way back to the hospital. On the drive back, Whee-In’s stomach growled. Hwasa opened a sandwich for her and fed her while she drove. They happily enjoyed the sandwich together.

When they got back to room 333, they saw Solar massaging Moonbyul's arms and legs. She was smiling and talking to Moonbyul, who was still laying motionless on the bed. Hwasa and Whee-In could tell that Solar was trying to be strong. She was forcing herself to smile in front of Moonbyul. They, however, noticed the apparent sadness lingers in her eyes.

Hwasa’s eyes became teary and Whee-In wiped it away for her. They didn't want to cry in front of Solar, they couldn’t. Solar was trying her hardest to stay happy for Moonbyul. They were hesitant to enter, but knew they had to be there. They wanted to be there. They brushed aside their hesitation and knocked on the door. They knocked a few times but Solar didn't hear them, so they let themselves in.

“Unnie?” Hwasa spoke with a smile as she quicken her pace toward Solar. “We brought you some clothes and food. Why don't you rest a little. I'll help you take care of Byul-Yi unnie.”

“It’s okay—” Solar spoke softly. “I want to take care of her myself.”

Why don’t you get change at least?” Whee-In jumped in to disperse the silence. “We’ll look after Byul-Yi unnie in the meantime, okay?” She smiled.

“Thank you, both of you.” A sad smile shown on her face.

Whee-In took out a change of clothes, shampoo, and a towel before handing them over to Solar. It was a private hospital, so there was a shower inside the bathroom. Solar dragged herself inside. While Solar was washing up, Hwasa and Whee-In unpacked the clothes and placed them inside the drawers. They also set the sandwiches on the table. They looked at each other and sighed in unison. They went over to Moonbyul to checked on her. Her head was wrapped up as if it was a large cocoon. She laid on her bed motionless, but her breathing was calm and she looked peaceful.

“Unnie ah,” Hwasa couldn’t help but teared up, causing Whee-In to cry as well. “You shouldn't be like this. Yong-Sun unnie needs you. We need you—so hurry up and get better, okay?”

“Unnie ah, get better soon,” Whee-In began. “Yong-Sun unnie is pretending to be strong and happy in front of you. She’s really not, because—because you're not there smiling with her. You’re not around to tell her jokes and brighten up her day. Her sunlight have dim without your smile, you know that? I probably don’t need to tell you that. I know you care for her the most after all. So get better soon, okay?”

Whee-In held herself back from tearing up uncontrollably. She went over to Hwasa and calmed her down when she heard the shower stopped. Hwasa wasn't able to stop herself from crying so she ran out of the room. Solar came out of the restroom and glanced around, she looked at Whee-In and questioned.

“Where’s Hye-Jin?”

“Ah, she’s—she paused for a moment. “She went to buy some drinks—yeah—drinks—How are you feeling unnie?”

“I'm okay, thank you—”

We already unpacked your clothes and put them away. There’s also sandwiches I made on the table, you should eat some to keep up your strength. If you fall ill, how will you take care of Byul-Yi unnie?”

“Thank you—I—I will later.” Solar answered nonchalantly.

“I'll go check if Hwasa got the drinks. You should rest a bit.”

After Whee-In left, Solar went back to Moonbyul’s bedside and began massaging her again.

“The doctor said you should move around more so your muscles doesn't stiffen up. Since you don't want to today then I'll help you. But you have to do it yourself tomorrow, okay?" She smiled sadly. “Hwasa and Whee-In came and brought some foods and clothes for us.”

Solar reached for a sandwich and showed it to Moonbyul.

Remember that day when you wanted to eat my sandwich? I had no choice but fed it to you. Your smile was so beautiful when you were eating it.” Solar paused for a while before continuing. “If you don't get up I'm going to eat it all alone.”

She took a bite of it and sniffled. She wiped her tears away and said with a smile.

“It’s really good. I think you would like it too.”

Hwasa and Whee-In came back with some beverages. They placed it down on the table with the sandwiches.

“Thank you again for everything,” Solar tried to smile.

You don’t have to thank us,” they replied in unison.

“We’re like a family. We’ll always be there for you when you need us,” Hwasa continued.

“You two will always have us, no matter what,” Whee-In finished.

“Thank you,” Solar's smiled and hugged them both. “It’s getting late. You should head back. I’ll be fine here. She is accompanying me after all. I’ll be fine with her by my side.”

Whee-In and Hwasa looked at each other hesitantly, but Solar rushed them out the door.

“Then make sure you’re taking care of yourself, okay?" Hwasa looked at Solar and she nodded in replied.

“Give us a call if there’s anything you need, okay?" Whee-In added. “Anything at all, alright?”

“I will. Don’t worry. You two have a goodnight.” Solar's smiled again.

“We'll come again tomorrow then. Goodnight unnie.”

Goodnight.”

Solar bid them farewell and closed the door. On her way back to the bedside, she tripped over the bag that Whee-In and Hwasa brought her clothes in. The bag emitted a weird noise. Isn’t it supposed to be empty? She thought it was weird so she opened it to check the content. There was a box of mint chocolate. She smiled sadly as she took it out of the bag and opened it. She turned the lid over and read the inscription.

[To my beautiful Yong-Kong,

This is my 241st box of mint chocolate to you. You shouldn't get angry so easily, I'm running out of thing to write in these boxes. Maybe I should recycle the previous ones lol. What do you think of that idea? Never mind, you would probably just kill me. Well, as long as it makes you happy and brighten up your day. As long as it makes you smile, I'll dig through my head to write you a new message everyday. Today, you got angry because I didn't say that your food was good, but you know, I Love You. Yong-Sun ah, don’t ever change <3.

As always, from your mean Byul-Kong]

Tears fell from Solar’s face onto the words written behind the lid. She quickly wiped it away, and sat back down on the chair next to the bed.

“You know you still haven’t told me my food tasted good. You kept laughing it off and changing the subject whenever I brought it up. Such a jerk you are—” Solar smiled wryly. “Remember the first box of chocolate you gave me? It was the sweetest thing I’d ever receive. It might also be why I’ve become obsessed with it. We started dating two weeks before Valentine. You were getting more and more nervous as it approached. You kept avoiding me so I started to get angry at you. I kept asking you questions, but you didn't answer them and that made me angrier. Do you remember?”

[22 months ago]

Solar hasn’t seen Moonbyul all day. She felt as if Moonbyul had been avoiding her the last two days. No, I know she’s been avoiding me. What is she up to? Solar felt angrier the more she thought about it. She frantically searched through the house but Moonbyul was nowhere to be seen. She stopped searching and stormed into the kitchen.

She angrily pulled out a box of ice cream from the freezer and proceeded to devoured it. With each scooped she would recite, “stupid Byul-Kong, jerk, dumb Byul-Kong, I hate you, avoiding me, stupid, stupid, stupid.”

To described her as scooping the ice cream was mildly putting it. It was closer to stabbing and very deadly at that. As though she was acting in a murder mystery, but a very tasty and not bloodied one. She was doing a good job nonetheless, she at least got the aura and the facial expression down. When she heard the door opened and saw Moonbyul. She pretended that it was just a ghost.

“I’m home,” Moonbyul announced.

“Welcome home, unnie! What you got there? Oo~” Hwasa came out and greeted Moonbyul cheerfully. She glanced toward the kitchen before she whispered. "Someone had been looking for you, very angrily I might add. She’s in the kitchen, you should go see her.”

Moonbyul laughed nervously. “I don’t know if I should,” she replied softly.

“Just go,” Hwasa pushed her into the living room which was connected to the kitchen.

“H-hey I’m home,” she said fearfully.

Solar responded by angrily looking away.

“I-I’ll head to bed then.”

When Moonbyul turned around to head to her room, Solar slammed her spoon onto the table. It startled Moonbyul and made her froze in place.

“Am I that scary?”

Solar screamed and stomped towards Moonbyul. Their faces were only a couple of inches apart.

“It hasn’t even been two weeks and you’re already avoiding me,” she continued. “If you don’t like me then tell me.”

“It’s not that—”

“Then what!?” Solar fumed. The weird smell made her stop as she began to find it source. “What’s that smell?” She sniffed Moonbyul. “Perfume? I don't recognize it. Were you out with someone? A woman? I haven’t seen you all day. And now I smell another woman’s perfume on you? I see. You fell for someone new already? Fine then. I don't care anymore!”

“It’s not like that, let me—”

“I don't want to hear it!”

Solar tried to storm off but Moonbyul pulled her back and kissed her passionately. She tried to push Moonbyul away but it was all for naught. She eventually calmed down and Moonbyul loosen her gripped. When Moonbyul parted their lips, she pushed her away.

“Rascal! Why’d you do that for!?” Solar teared up.

Moonbyul pulled Solar closer and hugged her tightly. Solar tried to fight her off again but again she failed.

“The only one I love is you,” Moonbyul whispered softly.

Prove it!” Solar exclaimed.

“Close your eyes for a bit.”

“No!”

“Please?” Moonbyul pleaded.

After Solar closed her eyes, Moonbyul grabbed the items she brought home and got down on one knee.

“You can open your eyes now.”

When Solar opened them, Moonbyul presented her with a box of chocolate and a bouquet of flowers.

“Happy Valentine, my love.” Moonbyul said with a smile.

“It’s not Valentine yet!” Solar protested.

“W-well it’s not—but—”

“No! Unacceptable!”

Just then the clock announced loudly that a new day had begun.

“HAPPY VALENTINE!!!” Whee-In and Hwasa screamed from their rooms.

“Well it’s Valentine now. Happy Valentine beautiful.” Moonbyul lifted up her gifts.

“No, you already did that. It doesn't count!”

“But it took me forever to plan the way I presented it.” Moonbyul pondered for a moment. “If I get down on both knees, does it count then?”

Solar accepted the gifts before Moonbyul needed to get down on both knees.

Accepting this doesn't mean I’ve forgiven you.”

“Help me up?” Moonbyul asked cutely, a devilish smile spread across her face.

“Don’t want to.”

Solar turned away and pretended not to care. Moonbyul got up and playfully let out a sound as if she was hurt. Solar quickly turned around, put down the gifts, and checked on Moonbyul.

“Are you okay?” Solar questioned anxiously as she scanned Moonbyul.

“Ah—ow—my knee, it hurts—”

Solar carefully rubbed Moonbyul's knee.

“Does it feel better now?” Solar asked in a gentle voice.

“Ah, ah, it—it still hurts—”

While Solar was rubbing Moonbyul's knee, Whee-In and Hwasa poked their head into the living room. They both giggled softly and held up their thumbs.

Good job.”

They whispered without sound. Moonbyul winked and smiled quietly. Solar noticed and decided to play along.

“Does it still hurt?” Solar questioned with an angelic smile.

Oh yes, it hurts a lot!” Moonbyul said cutely.

Solar laughed for a couple second before she yelled, “Rascal!” and proceeded to kick Moonbyul's shin. “I can't believe that I believed you!” She screamed and stormed off.

Moonbyul pulled her back and hugged her. “It proved that you care about me. That makes me really happy.” They hugged for a while before they spent more time on the couch.

[Present time]

“That night, you explained why you had another woman’s perfume on you. You were only trying to find one that I’d like.” She smiled sullenly.You ended up buying me some mint chocolate instead. It’s from the specialty store, isn’t it?” She took a deep breath.You made it even more special though. More than any box of chocolate anyone else can give. When I open it for the first time. I was so happy it made me cry, remember that? You gently wiped the tears on my eyes. You told me that I'll be the only one you'll ever love, no matter what may come our way. You told me my smile was the most beautiful one of all. You wished I would never have to feel sad. I'll never forget what you wrote in the back of that lid.”

[To my very special lady,

Today is the anniversary of our two weeks since we began dating. It’s also a very special day. It's Valentine! I know, I made you sad. I know, you felt like I was avoiding you the last couple days, I'm sorry. Forgive me? Your Byul-Kong Sorry. Your Byul-Kong just wanted to surprise you. You’re Byul-Kong special lady. But every time you questioned Byul-Kong, Byul-Kong felt like Byul-Kong couldn't keep a secret. That’s why Byul-Kong had to lessen our interaction, but Byul-Kong misses you a lot >o<. Byul-Kong love you a lot Yong-Sun ah! You are my heart and without you I could never survive. Would you let me be your heart forever and ever?

Forever yours, Love Byul-Kong <3]

“Then we fed the chocolate to each other. It was the sweetest thing I’d ever tasted in my life. I answered ‘of course, you are my heart as well, forever and always’. Since then, I wanted you to get me more because it’s exciting to see what message you’d write next. It was also because the mint chocolate you gave me, filled my heart with the sweetness of your love. I love you Byul-Yi.” Solar took Moonbyul’s hand and gently placed it on her cheek. “You are my Heart and I’ll wait for you. It doesn't matter how long I have to wait. I’ll wait for you, even if it take forever.”

Solar placed a chocolate in , as she recalled the sweetness of the love in her heart.