Hyung

Paper Airplane

I really hate the fact that I had to enter the competition for piano, but I like teaching the piano with him. But I couldn’t change my stubborn mind. I didn’t do the practice and homework well. I only remember the chords just because of my brain. He scolded me sometimes, but I found it cute and not afraid at all. He may look scary if you know him first but as you got to know him more and more, he is just childish and talkative cute guy.

 

“I told you to practice this song”

 

He talked like he sulked. The instructor sulked his student. It’s cute.

 

“I didn’t get the time. You know about my mom”

 

I whined back like a kid.

 

“I don’t wanna get scold by your mom. She’s scary”

 

I nodded with smile as I agreed his words.

 

“Let’s play this one”

 

He said as he stood beside me with the piano note on hand.

 

As I got to know him more and more, I realized how much a person with scary look when he doesn’t smile and the cute kid when he smiles can be really cute and friendly. He treated me really nice like a big brother. I started to call him “Hyung”. He also mentioned himself as Hyung when he talked. He is 4 years older than me. But he doesn’t look old at all.

 

One day, he came into my house with the not very happy face. Yes, he obviously sad. He didn’t talk as much as he used to. I was reading his face and wanted to know what happened to him.

 

“I fought with my dad today”

 

He started as I tried to listen him with smile on my face. I am good listener. I showed very welcome face so that he could vent at me. But as he kept talking, he looked so emotional and upset as I can almost see the tears in his eyes but it didn’t came out.

 

I was sad as well. I didn’t know how to comfort to someone. Should I hug him? Or hold his hand? or should I comfort him with words? My mind was so frozen as I just kept staring at him like a puppy who want to comfort his master.

 

“Are you okay, Hyung?”

 

I asked hesitantly.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to talk to you about my problems”

 

He calmed himself down a little bit. I think he realized that he was too emotional in front of me. Like a person who has strong personality as him can be emotional as well. I was just peeking at him while playing piano to check if he is okay or not. He didn’t.

 

“I gonna bring water for you”

 

I said as I quickly ran out from the room to give him space for himself. After I came back to the room, he already calmed down himself as he was so ready to teach me piano again. He welcomed me with smile.

 

I was confused as I gave him water.

 

“Thank you”

 

He drank the water which I gave.

 

“Did you practice the song I told you to do? Let’s see”

 

He smiled as he stood beside me as I started to play piano. By the moment, I could feel he has soft heart. And he is the normal human being who can be sad or happy and have emotion.

 

This was my first time I saw him sad. As time went by, he became the Hyung I can lean on in addition to Changsub Hyung. As an only son who was controlled by the parent, I attached to him pretty much. He is really a nice Hyung for me.

 

He scolded me a lot. More specifically, it’s nagging. He nagged a lot. And we joked a lot. Sometimes, we jokingly stared at each other eyes. I was always the first one who avoid first. Because I felt weird staring into a guy’s eyes. He smiled till his eyes closed when that happened. He smirked like you can’t stare at my eyes. But we never said that out loud.