Say You Like Me

Songs 4 You

 

Two months. Mina and Nayeon have been going out for two months. To Mina's friends' surprise, Mina hasn't asked Nayeon to be her girlfriend yet. Not only that, Mina still hasn't told her friends why she wanted to date Nayeon.

Today is one of those days where Jeongyeon, Momo, and Jihyo are bothering Mina, asking her questions about Nayeon.

“Come on. It's been two months but you still haven't told us!”, Momo exclaimed

“Fine.”, Mina said as she rolled her eyes.

 

–––

 

Math class. It’s the class that Mina shared with Nayeon when they were sophomores. It was a year ago. Truth be told, Mina hates that damn subject. Why the are they asked to find the x? How will she use this stuff in real life? Is this really useful? Finding the x? She doesn’t understand . Not just that. This is her only class where she’s not classmates with her friends.

Mina’s just trying to answer a goddamn math question, not really caring if she gets it right or wrong when her seatmate spoke. “You got it wrong.”

Mina was about to tell her seatmate to mind her own business but when she saw who it was, she was left speechless. Nayeon Im. The only cheerleader from their year. The most popular sophomore. 

“Here, let me help you.”, Nayeon said which made Mina snap out of her own thoughts. 

Nayeon helped her in answering the math question and Mina thought Nayeon could teach better than their teacher. 

Nayeon laughed, “I don’t think I fit being a teacher though.”

Mina widened her eyes, did she just say her thoughts out loud? God, she’s embarrassing herself. “Oh, uh. Yeah. Um… Thanks for teaching me by the way.”, Mina said while scratching her nape which by the way was never itchy.

Nayeon smiled, “No problem. Let me know if you need help next time.”

That smile. Mina will never forget Nayeon’s smile.

 

–––

 

“That’s it? She helped you with Math and it made you want to date her?”, Jihyo asked.

“I’m not done talking! Don’t interrupt me.”, Mina said.

Jeongyeon laughed, “Let her talk. I want to know the story.”

Mina rolled her eyes, she knows she’d get a lot of teasing but she doesn’t mind. She’s dating Nayeon now anyway.

 

–––

 

Math class is Mina’s last class every Friday. Her friends end their class earlier than her which results in Mina going home alone. She doesn’t mind, really, she’s getting used to it.

It was raining hard when Mina’s class ended. She opened her backpack to get an umbrella but she realized that she didn’t bring one. She’s standing at the school’s entrance, thinking about making a run because the rain doesn’t look like it will stop soon. She’s about to make a run when someone tapped her shoulder.

“We can share my umbrella if you don’t have one.”

Mina didn’t expect anyone to share their umbrella with her, especially Nayeon. She nodded because she doesn’t have any other option. “I’ll hold the umbrella for you.”, Mina said as she held Nayeon’s umbrella.

“I’m heading to the bus stop at the east side, how about you?”, Nayeon asked.

Oh, no. Mina takes the bus on the west side. But she doesn’t want to burden Nayeon. “Oh, um. I’m heading to the convenience store near that bus stop.” God, she wishes that there’s still an umbrella at the convenience store.

Nayeon nodded and they walked towards the convenience store. When they got to the convenience store, it started pouring harder.

“I’ll go check if there’s an umbrella.”, Mina said while walking towards the aisle where umbrellas are sold. Unfortunately, there’s no umbrella left.

“I don’t think an umbrella will help considering how hard the rain is now. Maybe we should stay here until the rain dies down.”

Nayeon has a point so they took a seat inside the convenience store. “Do you want anything to eat?”, Mina asked.

“A cup of instant ramen is perfect for rainy days.”

Mina nodded, “I’ll get you one.”

Mina ordered two cups of instant ramen. She hopes this is enough to show Nayeon that she’s thankful for sharing the umbrella with her. If Nayeon didn’t walk Mina to the convenience store, she would be inside the bus heading home right now. But here they are, stuck at the convenience store.

“Here. Take this as a thank you for sharing your umbrella with me.”, Mina said while handing Nayeon the cup of instant ramen.

Nayeon smiled, “Thank you.”

They were silently eating their instant ramen when Nayeon heard Mina humming to the song playing on the radio. “Can I hear you sing?”

Mina was surprised by the sudden question, “Uh… I don’t sing. Sorry.”

“Oh. You have a cute voice though.” Nayeon actually heard Mina sing once but she won’t be mentioning that.

“I do?”

Nayeon nodded, “You do.”

 

–––

 

“That’s why you sang for her!”, Momo exclaimed. “Because she said you have a cute voice.”

Mina nodded, “Yeah, I told you that.”

“Okay, not gonna lie, if that happened to me, I’d date her too.”, Jeongyeon said.

Mina glared at Jeongyeon which made the latter laugh. “Relax, Mina. I’m not going to.”

“But hey I’m surprised that you still haven’t asked her to be your girlfriend yet.”, Jihyo said

Momo nodded, “I honestly thought you’d ask her to be your girlfriend after your first date.”

“Oh, shut up. I am planning on asking her tonight.”

Mina’s actually been planning on how to officially ask Nayeon to be her girlfriend for weeks now. She’s just waiting for the right time. But she realized that there is no ‘right time’. To Mina, every moment with Nayeon feels right. She just doesn’t have enough courage to ask. Saying ‘it’s not the right time’ is just an excuse not to do it.
 

–––

 

“You’re quiet today.”, Nayeon said while looking at Mina who’s driving. “Are you okay?”

Mina nodded, “Yeah. Just a little worried, I guess?”

Nayeon raised her eyebrow, “Worried? About what?”

Asking you to be my girlfriend? , Mina thought but she's not going to say that. “Uh... Math?”

“Oh, right, you had an exam. I told you I can help you.”

Mina shrugged, “You were busy, I didn’t want to bother you.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes, “You know you’re never a bother.”

Mina grinned, “Whipped.”

Mina’s currently driving to the place where they had their first date. They go here often, especially on days where one of them needs to take a breather. The two went silent again and the song from the radio’s taking over. Mina decided to sing along.

Promise not to make a promise I can't keep

I'll never do that to you so please, don't do it to me

I'd never promise just to break a promise, that ain't me

I'd never ever break a pinky promise

Pinky promise
Nayeon looked at Mina, she knows the latter sings whenever she doesn’t know what to say. She’s used to it. She smiled and sang along.

Promise not to make a promise I can't keep

I'll never do that to you so please, don't do it to me

I'd never promise just to break a promise, that ain't me

I'd never ever break a pinky promise

Pinky promise

It became their thing, randomly singing songs to one another when they’re alone. Nayeon loves it, hearing Mina sing. Mina’s voice is pure and sweet as if it’s from heaven. Maybe Mina is an angel, Nayeon thought. To Mina, Nayeon’s voice is like a drug, it’s addicting and she can’t get over it; she loves hearing Nayeon’s voice.

“We’re here.”, Mina said as she parked her car.

Nayeon smiled, “I really love it here. I still remember the first time you took me here.”

They both sat on the bench, the same one they used during their first date. It became their place. They spend their time by telling each other stories about everything. They would even tease each other and bicker from time to time. It’s relaxing, they love doing this. It makes their hearts feel at ease. 

“I’ll go get my guitar.”, Mina said as she stood up.

Mina hopes Nayeon doesn’t expect that she’ll finally ask her to be her girlfriend because they do this all the time, Mina getting her guitar so they can sing songs to one another. 

Mina started strumming the guitar while walking towards Nayeon, it reminds her of their first date together. She smiles while remembering it. Mina started singing which made Nayeon look at her.

She's the girl that no one ever knows

And I say hi but she's too shy to say hello

She's just waiting for that one to take her hand and shake her up

I bet I could

Mina sat beside Nayeon, singing while looking at the latter’s eyes. Mina sings for Nayeon all the time but Nayeon still feels butterflies in her stomach whenever she hears Mina sing. God, she’s so whipped.

I wish my heart was always on her mind

'Cause she's on mine like all day, all the time

Forget me not, forget me now

I've come too far to turn around, I'm here tonight

'Cause I'm never going down, I'm never giving up

I'm never gonna leave so put your hands up

If you like me then say you like me

I'm never going down, I'm never giving up

I'm never gonna leave so put your hands up

If you like me then say you like me

Mina looks at Nayeon lovingly and Nayeon can’t help but blush. She feels like her heart will escape from her chest because it’s beating faster and louder.

It's time to fall into my arms

'Cause I've been waiting for too long

You're an angel, grab your halo

And let's fly tonight

'Cause I'm never going down, I'm never giving up

I'm never gonna leave so put your hands up

If you like me then say you like me

'Cause I'm never going down, I'm never giving up

I'm never gonna leave so put your hands up

If you like me then say you like me

I'm never going down, I'm never giving up

I'm never gonna leave so put your hands up

If you like me then say you like me

Whoa, oh, oh, oh

Whoa, oh, oh, oh

Just say you like me

Mina grinned at the sight of a blushing Nayeon. “You’re red as a tomato.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes, “Shut up. And you know that I like you.”

Mina laughed, “I know. But I want to ask you something…”

Nayeon looked at Mina, she didn't know why but she suddenly became nervous.

Mina took Nayeon’s hands. “Nayeon, will you be my girlfriend?”

Nayeon smiled, “I thought you’d never ask.”

Mina chucked, “Is that your way of saying yes?”

Nayeon held Mina’s cheeks, “This is my way of saying yes.”

Mina froze when Nayeon moved her face close to hers. She remembers the first time Nayeon did this. But now, it’s different. It’s different because Nayeon’s lips met hers. It’s different because they finally kissed. Mina can’t help but smile.  “By the way, you never told me the reason why you agreed to date me.”

“That’s a story for another day.”, Nayeon said before closing the gap between their lips.

Mina feels like she’s on top of the world. She still can’t believe it. Her crush, Nayeon, agreed to date her but not only that, she’s now her girlfriend. If you told sophomore Mina that the popular cheerleader in her Math class will end up being her girlfriend, she’d probably tell you to off and that it will never happen. But look at her now, sharing innocent kisses with the said popular cheerleader. And if you told Nayeon that she’d end up being the girlfriend of that guitarist in her Math class, she’d probably be embarrassed because she has a huge crush on her since freshman year but she’ll never admit that. 

Right time. Any time with the right person will feel like it’s the right time.

 

–––

 

It’s lunchtime and Mina’s spending it with her girlfriend. She still can’t believe that Nayeon’s her girlfriend. They were sitting together at the cafeteria, just the two of them. Until Nayeon’s friends came.

“Hey, Mina. Can we have lunch here too?”, Tzuyu asked.

Mina nodded, “Sure. Of course.”

Nayeon facepalmed when Mina agreed. Nayeon did her best to keep her friends away from Mina because she knows that her friends will end up embarrassing her. 

“How long have you two been together? Like officially?”, Chaeyoung asked.

“Just a week.”, Mina answered.

Sana smirked, “Did you know that Nayeon’s been crushing on you since freshman year?”

Mina widened her eyes, this is the first time she’s hearing this. She looked at Nayeon before looking back at Sana, “No. Nayeon never mentioned it.”

Dahyun clasped her hands, “Perfect. Because we’re here to tell you!”

Nayeon groaned, “Can’t you idiots shut up?”

Mina grinned, “Babe, I want to know the story.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes, “Now, you just want to tease me for knowing that I liked you first.”

 

–––


 

Freshman year. It was during the welcome party when Nayeon first saw Mina. Mina and her band were up on stage, setting up their equipment. Mina did the mic test by singing a song that Nayeon didn’t know at that time.

And even if the winding turns your roads

Even if your heart leaves you alone

Even if the breaking hits your bones

And even if the rain comes pouring down

Even when your scream loses its sound

Even if your wings don't leave the ground

And I'll be here, all for you

Nayeon didn’t even notice that she was staring at the girl singing. She didn’t notice it until her friends started teasing her. It was that day. She had a tiny crush on Mina that day. 

The day after that, Nayeon found out through Sana that Mina has a girlfriend. Nayeon didn’t mind, it was just a tiny crush after all. 

But the universe had other plans. They just had to take the same Math class together. Nayeon did her best to hide her tiny crush on Mina. But she can’t help it, she sometimes catches herself staring at the latter which earns a bunch of teasing from her friends. 

“I heard Mina and her girlfriend broke up.”, Sana said, making Nayeon look at her immediately.

Chaeyoung laughed, “Nayeon, I’m pretty sure you almost broke your neck by looking at Sana so quick.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes, “How did you even know, Sana?”

“I heard from Rosé. Turns out Mina’s girlfriend, I mean ex-girlfriend, was actually after Momo.”, Sana answered.

Nayeon raised her eyebrows, “Who’s Momo?”

Tzuyu shook her head, “If you paid attention to the whole band instead of just Mina, you’d know their names.”

“Momo’s the drummer.”, Dahyun added.

Nayeon nodded. “Oh.”


 

–––

 

“Wait. What song was that?”, Mina asked

“On My Love. It’s my favorite because it’s the first song I heard you sing.”, Nayeon answered. 

“Can you sing it for us?”, Sana asked, anticipating for Mina to sing.

Mina scratched her nape, “Well… Uh…”

Thank God Mina’s friends suddenly showed up. Maybe they will save her from not singing the song.

“Hey. What are you girls up to?”, Momo asked while sitting down beside them.

Sana smiled, “Oh, we were just asking Mina to sing the song On My Love.”

Jihyo widened her eyes, “Why?”

“It’s Nayeon’s favorite.”, Chaeyoung answered.

“Why? That’s weird because Mina wrote it for her ex.”, Jeongyeon said, which caused others to widen their eyes. “Oh. I guess you girls didn’t know?”

Mina facepalmed before she looked at Nayeon, “Uhh…”

“Oops. I just remembered we have to be somewhere.”, Sana said while dragging her friends along.

“Oh. We’ll go with you.”, Jeongyeon said, which made her friends leave with her.

“I honestly didn’t know it was your favorite song.”, Mina said while looking at Nayeon

Nayeon forced a smile, “It’s okay, I didn’t know you wrote it for you know.”

Mina sighed. She felt bad because her girlfriend’s favorite song is the song she wrote for her ex. “Hey. Can you go to the parking lot with me? I left something in my car.”

Nayeon nodded. God, Nayeon hoped she never mentioned that it was her favorite song because it made things a little awkward.

Mina opened the car door and told Nayeon to enter. Nayeon doesn’t know what’s going on but she follows. Mina then sat on the other side of the car after getting her guitar. “This isn’t finished yet but…” Mina started playing the guitar and she looked at Nayeon lovingly.

I can't deny what I feel today

But you feel like home and baby that's okay

Can't deny what I feel when I'm with you

I can't deny that you're beautiful

Mina playfully rolled her eyes when she said the word beautiful. She knows Nayeon will never stop mentioning that she called her beautiful. Nayeon, on the other hand, giggled when she saw Mina roll her eyes.

'Cause you're all I need and baby that's for sure

Can't deny what I feel when I'm with you

I finally found someone I can share my soul

And I'm so lucky that it's you

'Cause you are my one love

You are my only

And everything I do

From now on is for you

You are my one chance

You are my last dance

And everything I do

From now on is for you

“I’m not finished writing it yet but I hope you like it? I wrote it for you.”, Mina said, hoping Nayeon liked the unfinished song.

Nayeon smiled, “I love it. I love you.” Nayeon’s heart fluttered hearing Mina sing a song for her. The fluttering intensified when she found out that it’s a song Mina wrote. For her. So she leaned in and so did Mina. Their lips met halfway, Nayeon can feel her heart pounding as she kisses Mina. 

Nayeon broke the kiss which made Mina pout, “So, I have a new favorite song.”

Mina grinned, “It’s not finished yet but I’m glad it’s your new favorite.”

Mina and Nayeon were interrupted by someone who tapped on the car’s window. “Your windows aren’t tinted, Mina. We can see you two eating each other’s faces.”

Mina glared at her friend, Jeongyeon. “ off.”, Mina said as she raised her middle finger.

Nayeon laughed, “By the way, one of my friends likes one of your friends.”

Mina raised her eyebrow, “Who?”

“Sana. Guess who she likes.”

“Oh God. Don’t tell me Sana likes that over there.”, Mina said as she pointed at Jeongyeon.

“Hey, Jeongyeon isn’t that bad.”

Mina cringed, “I beg to disagree. Also, Drummer girl is crushing on Dahyun.”

Nayeon widened her eyes, “Really? Well, good luck to Momo.”

“I actually don't think Momo will be able to confess. I think she forgets how to speak whenever she's near Dahyun.”

Nayeon chuckled, “Let’s go? Lunch time’s almost over.”

They walked hand in hand, and Mina still finds it amusing how people are still shocked while looking at them. Well, she can’t really blame them because Nayeon Im rejected everyone who asked her out. Except her. Now that she found out that Nayeon has a crush on her since freshman year, she can’t help but smile.

“You’re suddenly smiling.”, Nayeon said

“I think I just realized something.”

Nayeon raised her eyebrow, “What is it?”

Mina grinned, “Am I the reason why you rejected everyone who asked you out? I mean because you liked me since freshman year.”

Nayeon scoffed, “How annoying.” Nayeon let go of Mina’s hand before walking ahead.

Mina laughed at Nayeon’s response, “What? I’m just asking.”

Nayeon glared at her girlfriend, “This is why I didn’t want you to know. You’ll just tease me more because I liked you first.”

“I should hold a sign saying ‘Nayeon liked me first’. I have bragging rights now.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes, she knows her girlfriend is purposely doing it, “God, Mina, you’re so annoying.”

Most of the time, Nayeon is the one teasing Mina but looks like the tables have turned. Now that Mina knew Nayeon liked her first, she will never shut up about it. Who wouldn't brag about having the most popular person in your year crush on you since the first time they saw you? Mina for sure won’t miss every opportunity to girlfriend.

 



 

Songs:

Pinky Promise - Ant Clemons

Say You Like Me - We The Kings

On My Love - We The Kings

Jenny's Song - We The Kings