But love is blind and lovers cannot see

Moonstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Donghae had gotten much quieter as he walked him back to his home. He'd entered his number into his phone under the contact name “Cupid”, and Hyukjae wished more than anything that he'd been able to give him his name. He was just one of countless cupids out there, but he was the only one that was in Lee Donghae's contact list.

 

“Do you not have any more questions for me? Your curiosity is sated?”

 

“Mm?” he turned to look at him, some hair falling in his eyes that he brushed back behind his ear, “Oh, I was just thinking,”

 

“I too enjoy thinking,”

 

The mortal sent him a peculiar look, but didn't comment further.

 

“Would you like to go somewhere with me? Time doesn't exist in the same plane as this one there, so you will be home before your bedtime,” he vowed.

 

“You know my bedtime?”

 

Hyukjae took Lee Donghae's hand and held up his other, motioning to snap, “Would you like to do it this time?”

 

“Do what?” he blinked at him, then seemed to catch on and snapped his thumb and ring finger together.

 

&&&

 

“Ah...where...are we?” he asked, still holding his hand.

 

His cupid made no move to let go, explaining, “The same place I brought you to the first time.”

 

“It's not as...bright as I remember,”

 

“Yes, I thought it was too harsh on your eyes so I rearranged things a little,”

 

“That's an understatement, it was like a blinding variety show set before,” he took in their surroundings better. It was actually sort of cozy and quaint, like a western style semi-classic interior. Warm brick on one wall and muted blue panelling on the others. A soft rug beneath their feet. Low moody lighting. “It's...pretty,”

 

His cupid smiled, “I have something to give you,” he held his hand out, fingers curled to his palm.

 

“What is it?” Donghae reached out to receive it.

 

Still holding his other hand, his cupid opened his hand and held the other as well, “A choice,”

 

“What kind of choice?” he asked, blushing hard.

 

“If you'd like, I can find you your match. Off the record. Freelance,” he added charmingly in English.

 

Cute. When he made jokes, sometimes Donghae could forget he wasn't human. But, he remembered. “My match?”

 

“Yes,” his cupid smiled at him, close lipped.

 

“There's a mortal that's my match?”

 

“Technically there are a multitude of match possibilities among mortals, but yes,”

 

Donghae considered it for a moment. “You said it was a choice. So...if I choose not to...I won't meet them?”

 

“You still may, in natural course, or if there is a new cupid assigned to you with updated parameters. Some do not meet, but they are less frequent cases,”

 

“So if I choose to meet them through you, what then?”

 

“Then you will fall in love, with a good match.”

 

“That's all there is to it? But...does that mean you'll have no more reason to meet me?”

 

“Well, yes. That would be the usual course. And...” his cupid lowered his eyes, a sadness in them Donghae had not seen before.

 

“And?”

 

“And you will forget me,”

 

&&&

 

Lee Donghae had asked him to give him time to consider his offer. Truly, Hyukjae was surprised. He'd thought that this might make him happy, and he found that was what he wanted to do. Make Lee Donghae happy.

 

But rather, the very fact that he didn't accept and seemed hesitant made Hyukjae feel strangely happy.

 

Maybe he was but a c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter