1.4: the nightingale sings into the night, but its song lives on through the day.

Parts of Infinity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Irene loved her girlfriend’s voice, the gentle way it glided over her entire being and warmed all the gaping holes loneliness had created within her over the years. Seulgi sang in the shower and often hummed tunes when she cooked for them after Irene came back from a day of volunteering. Irene liked to close her eyes and listen when Seulgi sang, because it assured her that Seulgi was happy, and more importantly, Seulgi was happy around her.

            The suggestion had originally come to Irene through Krystal, who looked up to Irene as an older figure involved with the community and respected her for being the only one to keep the infamous Seulbaenim wrapped around her finger. Every year, the department took a day off to celebrate their opening anniversary and held various events, including a talent show. What a coincidence it had been, that Krystal had heard Seulgi humming once as she made coffee.

            “Baby, are you gonna join me for the anniversary events?” Irene glanced up from folding the laundry to see Seulgi sit down next to her. The taller girl also started folding. “I don’t wanna go alone.”

            Irene caressed her girlfriend’s cheek, finger lingering on the scar near her eye. “I’ll double-check my calendar to see that it’s cleared tomorrow.”

            “Okay.” Seulgi pushed some of the clothes out of the way and scooted closer to wrap her arms around Irene, digging her face into the crook of Irene’s neck and inhaling her scent. “You smell nice.”

            “It’s the new fabric softener, I think.” Irene tried to look at the detective. “I need to fold the laundry, baby.”

            “Go ahead.”

            “You’re restricting my arms.”

            Seulgi shifted her position to hug Irene’s torso instead, face still hidden. “There you go.”

            “You’re awfully cuddly today.”

            The younger girl smiled against Irene’s skin. “I just missed you.”

            “We woke up in the same bed, baby.”

            “I know,” Seulgi replied. “But I always miss you at work. Maybe you should get a job at my department so I can see you all the time.”

            “We wouldn’t be able to handle the teasing, Seulgi.”

            “They wouldn’t tease us as much if they got used to seeing us.”

            “Now, now. Don’t go around making logic arguments on me. I might actually be convinced.”

            Seulgi looked up, chin on Irene’s shoulder. “That’s what I’m trying to do.” She gave a cheeky grin that reminded Irene of Joy.

            “If you aren’t going to help me fold the laundry, go back to work.” Irene pulled herself free of Seulgi’s grasp and kissed her cheek. “You told me that you still have to do the paperwork for that serial killer.”

            “Ugh, I hate paperwork. Catching the bad guys is the best part, the paperwork after is the worst.”

            Irene chuckled. “If you finish it by today and submit it, I’ll make your favourite sujebi.”

            Seulgi rushed off to her study.

-------

            “Irene.”

            The older girl removed herself from Seulgi’s side to meet her eyes. “Mm?”

            Seulgi frowned. “Why do p

Please log in to read the full chapter