Chapter 1/1

Good Fortune

    Junhui lands in Anshan, the home of his boyfriend, Xu Minghao.  Images of the past come to his mind: when they were in school together and flirting without realizing it; how Minghao would giggle and hold Junhui from what their friends did.

 

However, Junhui needed to go back home to ShenZhen to take care of his family there with his degree.  This is the day that he wants to make it special for the younger boy.

 

It was New Year that had them meet in the first place.  It was only coincidence that they would be attending the same university.  It was only fate that had them separate for years.

 

Junhui arrived at Minghao’s house.   The house is littered with decorations to celebrate the calendar New Year.  He saw Minghao’s special designs on every decoration.  He smiled as he saw the wishes for good fortune on the lanterns he handcrafted.

 

Knocking on the door, he was greeted by the boy in a thick sweater that had its collar up to Minghao’s chin.

 

“Jun?”  He widened his eyes, not believing that his boyfriend is just a doorstep away from him.

 

“Surprise~”  Junhui put out his arms with a big smile.


 

Minghao didn’t fight the urge.  He automatically went in for a hug, stuffing his face into the skinny boy's chest. He smiled widely as he felt little kisses on his head. "Junhui, I'm so glad you're here." He said as he pulled back to look up at the older. "What are you doing here though? You never told me you were coming over." He held Junhui's hands as he backed up into the house.

 

"If I told you, it wouldn't have been a surprise." Junhui laughed as he cupped the younger male’s cheek.

 

Minghao had anticipation in his eyes as their faces weren't too far away from each other. He closed his eyes as they got closer. Junhui softly put their lips together, a feeling that neither of them have felt in three years.

 

"Be comfortable, Junhui." He waved at Junhui's shoes. "My parents are having dinner tonight with our relatives, nothing formal." He said.

 

Junhui nodded, watching the make retreat upstairs with giggles. Junhui chuckles and takes his shoes off. He takes his jacket off and wraps it on his arm in case Minghao needs it later. He made his way upstairs and bowed to the family on the roof.

 

"Over here," Minghao waved his hand.

 

Junhui walked to Minghao and sat down on the chair next to the boy. "What are we doing up here?" He asked as he nonchalantly put the jacket around the skinnier male.

 

"My uncle will be shooting fireworks. I wanted to watch them up here." Minghao explained.

 

Junhui watched the parents leave the rooftop through the stairs. He turned back to Minghao and put his arm around the boy, starting them on another kissing journey.

 

Minghao laughed and relaxed in Junhui's hold. "How has ShenZhen been?" Minghao asked. "Is your mom still doing okay?" He asked.

 

"Things are looking bright, Minghao." Junhui said seriously.

 

Minghao poked him. "What's with the serious tone, Dr. Wen?" He asked.

 

Junhui sighed and put his head on Minghao's shoulder. "I missed being next to you," He admitted, "I love being with my family. But it feels like my family is also here." He muttered as he felt his hair being played with by the younger.

 

"Naturally, you spent three years living in my house." Minghao chuckled as he felt the child snuggle closer. "I missed you too.." He confessed. "But I'm glad we both have the internet." He said in relief.

 

Junhui hummed and remembered the lanterns outside. "Your lanterns are beautiful." He commented. "You're using your art degree well I see." He said as he played with Minghao's left hand.

 

He rubbed circles on the fingers and their knuckles, smirking a little bit as he looked at the bare ring finger. "You like them? My grandma and I made them." Minghao said. "I hope this year brings us good fortune. For all of us. For you and me." He whispered the last sentence.

 

Junhui nodded and looked at the open sky. "Dinner is after the fireworks?" He asked.

 

"Look at you already talking about food." Minghao laughed. "Yes, dinner is after midnight." He confirmed.

 

Junhui loved hearing the younger male's high-pitched laughs. "Food's important, you know." He said with a laugh.

 

"Mhm, it is." Minghao teased with a poke.

 

They sat together like that, catching up on each other. Even though they have spoken over text and calls, there was so much that they wanted to hear about each other. Minghao subtly treated this moment as if it were his last time he would see Junhui.

 

With the older being a doctor, it's hard for Junhui to make time to talk to Minghao. An in-person meeting would be the rarest thing for Minghao.

 

"Thirty seconds!" They hear the people on the porch shout to them on the roof.

 

Minghao becomes excited. He's always loved fireworks. The display of art is incomparable. Junhui saw the excitement in the boy's eyes. He nodded and breathed in and out.

 

The ten second countdown started, and that's when Junhui held Minghao's hand. "Hao, I need to ask you something." He said.

 

"Not now, Juni! It's the countdown!" He poked Junhui.

 

Junhui ignored the teasing and stopped the boy from saying three. "Will you marry me, Minghao?" He asked.

 

Minghao looked into Junhui's eyes with shock in his expression. Fireworks shoot beside them, filling the sky with colorful art and excitement. Minghao's heart was no different from the sky. His heart beated faster as Junhui's smile was so sweet and his eyes were so sparkly.

 

"Jun.." He whispered. "Y-yes, yes, of course!" His mind finally made him say his thoughts. "Yes, Junhui!" He repeated, throwing his arms around Junhui's neck and pulling him in for a kiss.

 

Junhui kissed back as another round or fireworks went off and cheers from below followed after. "Junhui, let's go down and tell them the news." He held the older's hand and ran across the roof excitedly.

 

For a moment, it felt like all of Junhui's energy went to the younger boy. The usually calm, cool, and collected Minghao is a giddy, hyper, and cheerful young boy.

They walk into the kitchen. Minghao's father pulled up an extra chair for Junhui to sit down next to the other male.

 

Junhui snapped his finger. "I forgot one thing," He opened his jacket that the younger still had on.

 

The family watches as Junhui takes out a ring box. Junhui's eyes sparkled, in Minghao's eyes. The light from the chandelier made a beautiful shine in Junhui's eyes and a glimmer of sparkles on his lips. His eyes then trail down to the jade ring he has on display.

 

He blushes and picks the ring out of the box. "I would love to be your husband, Junhui." He said in his calm voice.

 

Junhui smiled, the energy returning to him as his eyes disappear in his sweet smile. Once the ring is on Minghao's finger, Junhui leans in to kiss the boy's lips.

 

The family clapped and cheered, his uncle running outside to shoot one more firework with the excitement he has. "My boy is finally growing up," Minghao's mother put a hand on Minghao's head.

 

"Spread your art across ShenZhen, Son." His father encouraged.

 

"I'll make sure to come back, you're not rid of me yet." He pointed at each member teasingly.


 

Junhui laughed and picked up some noodles to feed Minghao. "I know it's only ten minutes into the new year, but so far, I've been having good fortune." He commented.

 

"Me too.." Minghao giggled before taking the clump of spicy noodles.

 


 



Happy New Year to our precious JunHao~
Even if this year didn't go exactly the best, we still learned more about each other and ourselves.
Let's do our best in this next year too!
<3


祝大家新年快乐!