Romantic

Dancing With Your Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Who else are we missing?” Chaeyeon exclaimed over the roaring bus engine behind them. Yena looked like a student on a field trip with her attire, denim overalls over a white plain tee, and a white bucket hat. Next to Yena was Yuri, who was wearing a striped tee with denim boy shorts. 
 

“Sak…” Just as Eunbi mentions her, the girl is rushing over with her small duffle bag.

 

“Hi guys, sorry I came close to the time.”

 

Eunbi was speechless at Sakura’s outfit. The Sakura from the cafeteria shared the fashion she’s always had since they knew each other. Comfortable and somewhat athletic. Lazy wear as fashionistas would label it. Sakura was content with oversized hoodies and sweats. 

 

Yet she was blooming today, like an actual cherry blossom. She wore a corduroy cropped jacket over a simple white halter top tucked in her plaid slacks. She also had her hair down so Eunbi finally realized how long it had gotten since they last saw each other.

 

She didn’t notice how long she’d been staring until Yujin lightly elbowed her.

 

“Fancy her, unnie?”

 

Eunbi was shocked at the sudden question but most importantly she was shocked because a freshman felt comfortable enough to . Who does this kid think she is!

 

“She wishes.”

 

“I bet she does.”

 

Eunbi groaned in her head but physically ignored the younger girl who had a smug grin on her face. Sakura noticed and stared at Eunbi who was blushing red like a tomato. Eunbi is thankful as Chaeyeon made her leader-like statement and ushered everyone to enter the bus one by one. Yujin pulls her to the end of the line and she has no time to react. She stares at the girl with the monstrous power and height who effortlessly drags her around. She’s getting closer and closer to Sakura and her heart is also racing faster.

 

Sakura doesn’t spare her a glance, but that doesn’t last because Yujin almost shoves Eunbi in front of her to be positioned behind Sakura. The last four to enter are Sakura, Eunbi, Yujin, and Wonyoung consecutively. The last row is empty and Eunbi mentally curses her luck (and Yujin). She makes sure to shoot her a glare before taking her seat. Yujin sways around, pushing Eunbi towards Sakura. She doesn’t expect it.

 

“Um,” Sakura blinks rapidly, wondering if she felt that right. Did Eunbi just bump into me?

 

“Sorry, Kkura. Yujin, will you cut it out.” Eunbi sternly says.

 

Yujin stares at her with her lips slightly parted, amused that Eunbi called her out like that.

 

“Oh, the bus was just…”


“The driver isn’t even in his seat yet.” Eunbi gritted through her teeth. She didn’t dare spare a look at Sakura. The latter was just absorbed in her games on her phone. She glanced at the battery icon which was almost completely full. I’ll survive, she thinks.

 

Yujin lets out a shameless giggle, “Well you knew then.”


 

... 


The bus sets off not long after. Eunbi sees Chaeyeon staring at her from the front of the bus. 

 

She instinctively mouths in her direction, “Sorry.”

 

 Chaeyeon waves it off and smiles. She points at her phone, suggesting Eunbi do the same. 

 

FeatherChae: “Just try to find out what she likes for me? ^-^ It’s going to be a long ride.”

 

She mentally groans to herself and her eyes slyly pan over to Sakura who’s not even giving a care for the world at that moment. She types a simple response saying that she will. Chaeyeon turns back around and sparks a chat with Chaewon. Eunbi doesn’t actually plan to ask Sakura. She already knows the girl like the back of her hand. She considered her family. Perhaps, Sakura’s tastes can’t be that far off from three years ago, right?

 

Sakura continues to play her game. Eunbi pulls out her own phone to keep herself awake. She browses Netflix, but as she finally decides on a movie, the video fails to load. No Internet connection detected. She glances at Sakura’s phone and notices the four bars at the top. Of course, she’s on a data plan. Eunbi shuts off her phone in dismay and looks around, seeing the pairs doing different things. She overhears talk about the seafood in Sokcho, some about the romantic views of the sea. Unknowingly her mind wanders and before she can realize her sleepy state, her head juts forward and to the side.

 

(Sakura feels Eunbi’s head on her shoulder not long after. She doesn’t flinch. This position feels like home to her.)

 

She doesn’t move either. She continues to play her game but barely survives because she got distracted for a split second.

 

Round failed.

 

Sakura sighs and the corner of her lip presses into her cheek, making a small crease of irritation. She notices the time and it’s only been twenty minutes. There was about an hour and a half left and she guaranteed Eunbi could sleep that long.

 

She feels Eunbi shift a little and when she does, her chin is positioned directly in front of her shoulder and her face way too close to hers. Eunbi’s face almost leans forward again, but Sakura’s right hand uncontrollably supports Eunbi’s left cheek and pulls it back. She keeps it there for a while until Eunbi’s head is secure on her shoulder again. She’s so intent on doing so that she doesn’t even notice Yujin smirking at the other side.

 

It almost feels like all of the pain in Sakura’s heart reset as her game did just a few minutes ago. Seeing Eunbi’s peaceful sleeping face set her guards down and she wanted to keep staring at her. She wanted to take advantage of the situation where the older girl wasn’t cold to her and absorb every detail as if she had every right to do so. She tucked Eunbi’s hair behind her ear and her gaze remained. For now, Eunbi is the addicting game she can’t take her eyes off of.

 

Eunbi’s eye twitches and her eyelids flutter open. Yet contrary to both of their expectations, Sakura doesn’t stop staring. She’s captivated even more by the brown orbs that occasionally reflect the sunlight. The bus drives through an unshaded area and Sakura lifts her hand to protect Eunbi’s eyes from the sun.


“Quite romantic, aren’t we…” Yujin mutters under her breath. Sakura doesn’t let her comment sway her, but clearly, the older girl is the most confused at the moment. Eunbi blushes but she doesn’t budge. She doesn’t know where Sakura got all this courage, but she doesn’t mind it. She doesn’t want to question it. Sakura finally looks away and drops her hand when the bus drives through a path with trees to shade them.

 

“Thank you,” Eunbi says just above a whisper.

 

Sakura doesn’t reply and keeps her gaze fixated on the outdoor view. 

 

(She calls Eunbi a fool in her head, but she knows she’s more of a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter