Chapter 4: The classmates are her inmates, but she is their hostage

Go, Anna ChoHan (고 안나 초한)

 

Chapter 4: The classmates are her inmates, but she is their hostage

 

 

             Everyday she’d be bullied. She would be called names; Ugly, fatty, fake, .

 

     She was a few tones darker than the average Korean schoolgirl and used fake skin and heavy makeup so that her classmates would like her better, but her plan backfired and more names were called. She was borderline overweight too, and spent many years as a bulimic when she first noticed her thunder thighs.

 

             ‘I’m still eating too often’ She thought. She looked up ‘how to throw up without tasting your food’ on Google.

 

                      ‘Need help? Dr. Gregory Goodman tells us how to feel better about ourselves’ popped up first.

 

              She tried not to cry. A computer cared more about her than her parents ever did. Running out of the school’s library and into the janitor’s closet, she then sobbed freely. She knew not to go to the girls’ bathroom, because of all the security there. No, not like security cameras, but like the girls who are in there all the time. They know everything about everyone and the architecture of the bathroom amplified the sounds of her pitiful sobs. Gossip will only ensue and more bullying and would make her life even more miserable.

 

            The janitor’s closet was her only place of comfort and solitude. Everyday the brooms would talk to her, telling her it’s not the end of the world.

 

 

             “Don’t give up on this world yet, Anna”, the mop in the corner said. ”Just become rich and go to a far away place. You won’t be hurt there.”

 

            “Thanks, Moppie. Thanks, all of you. You are the only people who care about me and have the patience to listen to my problems. I will never leave you. I don’t care what I have to pay. Whatever the cost, I will even bring you with me if I have to.” 

 

 

             The mops, brooms and ‘wet, caution’ signs smiled at her with the emotion of sympathy in the air. She hugged her dearest friends for several minutes. After that, she stood up, dusted herself off and tried to remove every trace of tears on her face.

 

 

            She then left the janitor’s closet to face reality once again.