the brightest star

the brightest star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I reach out to the left side of the bed but it is empty. I open my eyes to realise I am alone in the bedroom. 

 

Where is Hyejin, I thought.

 

I give my body a big stretch and sit up. My hair is messy, my eyes are puffy. I squint at the screen of the digital clock beside our bed. 

 

3:17:04 a.m. 

23 July 2020

 

23 July... Wait a minute. Isn’t Hyejin’s birthday today? 

 

I rub my puffy eyes, wondering where she is. We would always spend our birthdays together every year without fail. And by that, I mean we would be physically there to wish one another a happy birthday when the clock strikes midnight.

 

I move myself to the edge of the bed. 

 

Ah, right, my phone. 

 

My hand wanders around the table beside my bed but it is not on it. 

 

That’s weird. I would usually put it there before I sleep. 

 

I stand up on my feet. The blood rush comes and I wobble a little before stabilising myself. I walk to the living room, hoping to find my phone there but it is nowhere to be found. I search high and low, from the kitchen to the bathroom. 

 

, did I leave my phone in the office? 

 

I pick up the home phone to dial Hyejin’s number. No answer. I then dial my own number, afraid I may have dropped it on the way home and that one kind soul would pick it up and return it. I swear to pay the person any amount to have my phone returned to me. How much would you pay a person to return your phone? One that contains countless photos and videos, memories or practically speaking, your big data. A food for thought. But anyway, there is no answer either. I begin to panic. If Hyejin had headed out for a celebration, she would have told me, but I do not remember her telling me that she was meeting her friends or family. 

 

Did I fall asleep without waiting for her. What kind of girlfriend am I? I should have waited for her to come home before going to sleep. It’s her birthday. But where was she?

 

I pout. There were only very few occasions that Hyejin would stay out late into the night ever since we got together. And even so, we were out together. Once, we could not fall asleep, so Hyejin suggested that we stargaze at the park. It was my first time seeing so many stars in the vast velvet skies. We laid on our backs on the grass patch, her arm under my head. 

 

“Laying down here stargazing is romantic, but being with you is all that matters.” 

 

I smacked Hyejin. “Ya, why are you so greasy?”

 

Hyejin smiled. I cuddled in a little closer to her. 

 

She looked at me with soulful eyes. “Wheein.” 

 

“Yes?”

 

“If one day when we grow old and I leave Earth first, I want you to look up at the sky and find the brightest star.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I will choose to be the brightest star. So that you know I am always with you.”

 

A tear escaped the corner of my eye. Hyejin looked at me and wiped away that tear. “Why are you crying?”

 

“I don’t want you to leave me.”

“Silly,” she swept my fringe away, “We all have to. One day.”   

 

I hid my face in her chest and cried. I was not ready for that day, even if we had at least 80 years to go till that day comes. 

 

She rubbed my back until I calmed down. I looked at her, then her lips. She knew what I wanted to do and she beat me to it.

 

Our lips touched. And we kissed, our souls intertwined. 

 

Hyejin being out without me tonight, it feels strange. I am starting to get worried for her safety. I dial our closest friend’s number. 

 

C’mon, Moonbyul. Please pick up the phone.

 

It reaches her voicemail. 

 

Dang it. It is as if all odds are not in my favour. I decide to leave the house and walk to Moonbyul’s place. She is probably the best lifeline I have now, considering that I am phoneless and Hyejin-less. Her house is only a few blocks away, at most 15 minutes if I brisk walk. The cold breeze stings my body. I shiver and quicken my steps. 

 

I see two figures rushing out of the building complex. I hasten my steps to have a better look. Thank goodness I see Moonbyul and Yongsun. But something's not quite right, they are running to their car. 

 

Why are they in a rush? Did something happen?

 

The worst thought shoots through my mind. Something has happened to Hyejin. 

 

I dash towards them and enter their car before Moonbyul steps on the pedal. I settle myself in the backseat. The car speeds off and I am thrown backwards. 

 

“Can someone tell me what is going on? Where are we going?” My voice quivers when I question them. The speed at which the car is going is not at a  ‘we-are-going-on-a-date’ speed. The couple in front are in a frantic mode and that is not helping the situation at all. 

 

“Hyejin will be alright, right?” Moonbyul asks as she maneuvers the steering wheel. 

 

"Hyejin?! Is she not alright?!"

 

Yongsun turns and looks over. She then touches Moonbyul'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter