if love was a song

if love was a song - a nachaeng one shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If love was a song, I’d have it on repeat all day.

 

The song starts off like this, it’s slow and mellow, nothing classy, nothing upbeat, but it makes you giddy and warm inside. Suddenly, you can’t stop listening to it, you never get tired of it, you’d repeat it over and over-- that’s how Chaeyoung feels about Nayeon.

 

Chaeyoung is stubborn. She never budges, never learns. So, the moment she met Nayeon, she knew that she would fall into that pit all over again. However, the younger girl promised herself that she’d keep a distance, but she was unable to.

 

She was unable to resist Nayeon’s charms, she was unable to resist the way the older girl’s scent whenever she passed by, she was unable to resist her eyes, her bunny smile, her laugh that echoes through the halls that is also music to her ears. Her laugh that’s like a song stuck in her head for ages.

 

It’s been months since the two of them met, and frankly Chaeyoung’s life went uphill. As cheesy as it sounds, as cliche it may be, Nayeon came and then the good things followed after-- domino effect.

 

“So, remember the girl you set me up with a few months back?” Nayeon said as she sat down in front of Chaeyoung.

 

“Hirai Momo, yeah, what’s up?”

 

Nayeon looked her in the eye and there it was. That damn smile. “I really think she’s into me, you know? But I’m incredibly frustrated right now.”

 

Chaeyoung simply arched her eyebrow in question, the older girl immediately responded. “She doesn’t express herself that much? Words are like nothing to her, but her gestures are so sweet, it doesn’t really add up.”

 

“She’s sending you mixed signals?”

 

“Yeah, she is,” Nayeon groans. “I’m an oblivious person, Chaeng, I don’t know if she’s into me unless she tells me. I need reassurance, you know?”

 

“I get you,” Chaeyoung says. “I’m guessing she’s not used to it, yet? You can be real clingy, no offense though.”

 

“None taken. I know you love my clinginess,” Nayeon smirks.

 

Chaeyoung merely rolls her eyes, pretending to be annoyed at Nayeon’s sudden arrogance. Although, it was true, she loved the older girl’s hugs, how she tries to steal a cheek kiss every morning, or how she links their arms whenever they walk. Chaeyoung loved affection especially when it came from Nayeon.

 

“What’s your plan then?” Chaeyoung asks.

 

Nayeon simply shrugs, for she didn’t really know what to do. “That’s why I’m telling you all of this, . Take a hint.”

 

For the second time in a row, she rolls her eyes and chuckles. “Alright, smartass. I think you should just go ahead and tell her how you feel.”

 

“...You know how I am with confrontation.”

 

“Yeah, I know you could do it,” Chaeyoung pushes Nayeon a bit. Sometimes, this stubborn woman needs a little push. “But of course, I would never force you, I just think that it’s the best solution especially if you’re affected by it.”

 

Nayeon sighs. She knows she has to take Chaeyoung’s advice, she knows she’s right, she always is and she will always want the best for Nayeon. Nayeon knows that and it makes her heart melt. “I love you, Chaeyoung, you know that right?”

 

Chaeyoung’s heart constricts. She knows she says this as a friend, they both exchange those three words from time to time, because they mean it. They mean it as friends.

 

“I love you, too.”

 

-

 

Needless to say, Chaeyoung was content with what she had with Nayeon. She knew that no matter what she does, all Nayeon will ever see her as is a friend.

 

Maybe it was Chaeyoung’s fault. She paid the price for denial.

 

Until now, Chaeyoung thinks that she isn’t in love with Im Nayeon. She couldn’t be, it wasn’t allowed.

 

It’s not allowed or is it because you’re scared?

 

What is there to be afraid of? Rejection? Nayeon will keep her distance?

 

Deep down, Chaeyoung knows that she isn’t like that. Nayeon doesn’t have the heart to say “no” to the people she loves, let alone stay away from Chaeyoung, her best friend.

 

She doesn’t get it. Chaeyoung doesn’t get how she’s stuck in her head like a melody. Those repetitive lyrics ringing in her head and no matter how hard she tries to forget those damn lyrics, she couldn’t.

 

She’s into the song. No matter how many times she loops the song, she will never get tired of it.

 

That’s why whenever Nayeon needs her, she’s there.

 

“What is it that you needed?” Chaeyoung says, out of breath as she arrives at her place.

 

“Why the hell were you running?”

 

“You said it was urgent,” Chaeyoung replies. “I thought it was an emergency.”

 

Nayeon chuckles. “You know how I overreact sometimes.”

 

“Yeah, no ,” she rolls her eyes. “What is it?”

 

“Help me pick out a dress,” Nayeon holds up two dresses in front of her.

 

“Wait… You’re going on a date with Hirai?” Nayeon nods, excitedly. “Holy !”

 

“Holy , indeed. Thanks to you and your brain, I actually confronted her, and we talked it out somehow.”

 

“My brain is the best and I’m glad you took my advice,” Chaeyoung does a small victory dance. “The red dress suits you a lot. It brings out your plump lips.”

 

.

 

Nayeon an eyebrow. “Have you been staring at my lips?”

 

“What the ? Of course not!” her voice almost cracks. She’s as red as a tomato right now. “I just mean that if you go with the right lipstick, you know, it would bring out your lips.”

 

Nayeon stares at a wall blankly. She does this whenever she’s thinking. “...You’re right.”

 

Chaeyoung releases the breath she’s been holding. “I always am.”

 

“Well, don’t let it get into your head, .”

 

“ you, smartass,” she playfully throws a pillow towards Nayeon and the other girl shrieks in response.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter