Almost

Flames Burn Brightest in the Dark

I just wanted to give a big thank you to anyone that decided to take a peek in here and read this. JiYoo is a pair that I'm incredibly fond of, and I hope I do them justice with this story. Enjoy! ♥


 

 

The heat was palpable as Yoohyeon approached Minji, her hands sliding down to her hips to grip tightly as she pulled her close. Music throbbed within the small dance studio as Jay Park's 'Me Like Yuh' played. Her long fingers threaded through black hair as she further invaded the older girl's personal space, lips ghosting along her neck before spinning the leader around, the pair facing the mirrored wall. Her splayed fingers slowly ran down Minji's stomach, feeling the taut muscles contract as she held her leader's gaze within the mirrors facing them, her eyes darker than usual. 

Minji's gaze threatened to burn her up as the leader reached back to grasp the taller girl's neck, pulling her close once more. This part of the choreography was meant to simulate a kiss, but Minji's mouth was close, dangerously close. 

Do it.

Kiss her.  

Yoohyeon's brain taunted as she moved a tiny bit closer, her lips practically touching the other girl's as they shared a heavy breath. The music continued to play as they remained still, locked in their current position. Dare she? She could practically taste Minji's strawberry lip gloss as the older girl's breath came in quick bursts against her. They had been practicing well into the night for their special stage, just the two of them, finally, and Yoohyeon's brain was shot from all the sensual dancing with the girl she had fallen for. 

She wondered if Minji felt the same when the dance grew more and more provocative as the night went on. Lips a little closer, grinding against each other just a little longer, a little harder, than what the choreography called for, but Yoohyeon didn't care when her leader had been reciprocating and instigating it. Now they were on the verge of kissing within the company's dance studio, and the lead vocalist was ready to lose her mind and heart.

Fate had different plans in mind, though, when the door to the dance studio suddenly swung open, an exhausted staff member peering in. The short girl had started to inform the pair that it was after 1 am and she needed to take them home when she noticed the scene before her. Yoohyeon stuttered out something unintelligible as Minji tripped over the younger girl's feet in an effort to untangle herself.

The leader went down with a sharp cry of pain as her ankle bent at an unnatural angle. 

"Unnie!" Yoohyeon yelled, bending down beside her leader as the staff member rushed in. 

Pained gasps escaped the older girl as Yoohyeon inspected her ankle, the flesh already turning an inflamed red. 

"We need to get her to the hospital," the staff member stated, concern etched across her face as she began to phone her boss. 

"Come on, unnie, hold onto me," Yoohyeon insisted, her hands carefully helping Minji to stand up.

The other girl groaned as she gripped onto Yoohyeon as if she were afraid she'd suddenly disappear. 

"I'll give you a ride to the van, don't worry," she said with a soft smile, bending down in front of Minji so that she could hold onto her back. 

The young singer wasn't the strongest, but she worked out daily and felt a surge of strength at the thought of Minji being in pain. Gingerly, Minji climbed onto Yoohyeon's back, her arms looped tightly around her neck, burying her face against her shoulder.

"Good job, unnie. Hold onto me just like that. We'll be at the hospital before you know it," Yoohyeon reassured, concern clouding her vision.

Minji groaned out a quiet apology, her face shifting to nuzzle against Yoohyeon's neck, breathing in the comforting scent of the younger girl. 

Yoohyeon tapped into the last of her energy stores as she carried the injured leader out of the dance studio into the empty parking lot. Chill November wind buffeted the small group as she helped Minji into the van and buckle up. She sat beside her in the nearby seat, hand reaching out to rest against her arm. 

"We should let the other girls know we're going to the hospital," Yoohyeon said, her free hand fishing around for her phone. 

Minji winced as she pressed her forehead against the cool glass of the van's window. 

"I don't want them to worry," she mumbled out, her brows furrowed.

Yoohyeon patted her arm. "I know, but we'd never hear the end of it if we didn't say something."

Minji hummed in response, allowing Yoohyeon to be the one to inform the group.

Quickly pulling up the group chat, like she had done a million times before, she began to briefly explain they were going to the hospital for Minji. Handong replied almost instantly.

"Is Minji-unnie ok?"

"She'll be ok. I think she twisted her ankle, but we're heading to the hospital to make sure," Yoohyeon replied.

"Don't worry, Dongie, I'll be ok. Is everyone else asleep?" Minji added. 

"I think so. It's just Gahyoenie and myself at the dorm right now."

Oh, that's right. The others had left this morning to spend the weekend with their families.

 "We'll keep you updated, Dongie. Take care of things at the dorm until we get back," Yoohyeon typed back before stuffing her phone into her pocket. 

She moved her hand down to clasp Minji's, her thumb rubbing gently against her knuckles. 

"I'm sorry about your ankle, unnie. You wouldn't have injured yourself if I..." Yoohyeon began, leaving the unspoken words to hang between them.

Minji's grip tightened on Yoohyeon's for a moment as she stared down at their joined hands. 

"Yoohyeon-ah... You don't have to apologize," came the soft reply, her gaze moving up to take in the taller girl.

Yoohyeon held her gaze, finding courage in the gentle darkness that filled the van. The staff member was oblivious to the pair as she drove them to the hospital, still on the phone with the company manager. A quietness fell over the two girls as they held onto each other, taking comfort in the other's presence.

----------

It was close to 3 am by the time they made it back to the dorm with a freshly bandaged Minji. Thankfully the fall had only resulted in a sprained ankle and nothing more serious. Handong had stayed up and greeted them at the front door.

"Dongie, you didn't have to wait up for us," Minji chided, but Yoohyeon could see the appreciation on the leader's face. 

"Of course, unnie. I can't let Yoohyeon-ah be the only hero," she teased, earning a gentle swat from the other girl.

The pair helped Minji hobble her way to her now vacant bedroom. It always felt weird when some of the other members weren't home at the dorm. The void they left was noticeable. 

Minji fell back onto her bed with a sigh of relief. Long gone were their old bunk beds and in place were comfortable single beds. She didn't want to think about having to try and climb the old ladder to her bed in her current state. 

Yoohyeon stepped out to retrieve a damp washcloth as Handong got ready to turn in for the night, hugging both girls goodnight. 

"Come on, unnie, let's get you out of those sweaty clothes."

She watched as something mischievous flashed in the older girl's eyes. 

"So eager to get me out of my clothes," Minji teased, enjoying the furious blush that raced across Yoohyeon's face. 

"You've been spending too much time with Bora-unnie lately," pouted the younger girl.

A warm laugh erupted out of Minji, dissipating the remaining worry in Yoohyeon's chest. Their leader was ok, or at the very least they had given her some potent painkillers. 

"Unnie... quit laughing. Let me help you, and then we can get you bed."

Minji gave Yoohyeon's arm an affectionate squeeze before allowing the other girl to clean off her face and neck. Once done with that, she peeled off her sticky clothing and quickly wiped herself down, noticing the way Yoohyeon's gaze would divert whenever she caught her staring. 

Satisfied that Minji was ok and ready for bed, Yoohyeon excused herself to shower before going to bed herself. The hot water was a welcomed relief to her sore muscles after the long dance practice. She thought back to the group discussion earlier that week on who would pair with who for the next set of special stages. They ended up using kai bai bo to make sure no one felt left out. The planets must have aligned for Minji to end up as her partner. Bora had recommended the song, looking suspiciously innocent at the gazes shot her way.  

She could still feel Minji's hands and body all over her from the practice earlier. Yoohyeon allowed the reasoning that it was for work to calm her nerves. She wasn't the most confident in person, but on stage or during practice, her confidence could be boosted to extreme levels, and in was in that safe space for herself that she allowed some of her feelings for Minji to reach out and influence their dance routine.

Was she being delusional to think her leader liked her in return? Well... of course, Minji liked her. She knew Minji loved her, and cared for all the girls dearly, but was there something more beneath that protective leader aura? Would she allow something more? Such thoughts tumbled and twisted throughout Yoohyeon's mind, leaving her more confused and lost in thought. 

"Yoohyeon-ah! Are you almost done?" Minji called out.

Oops.

She had a bad habit of contemplating the meaning of life while in the shower, much to the dismay of her other members when all the hot water was used up. Drying off, she slipped on an oversized sweatshirt and flannel pajama bottoms. 

"Can I help you, Minji-sshi?" Yoohyeon said formally, giving a teasing bow as her damp hair fell around her shoulders. 

Minji watched her for a long moment, an unreadable expression on her face before patting the space beside her. No other words were needed as Yoohyeon crawled in beside her, being mindful of the bandaged ankle as Minji curled into her. A protective arm was slung across the older girl's waist as Yoohyeon nestled her face into Minji's shoulder. She could feel her leader's hand grip the fabric of her sweatshirt as if to be an anchor for the younger girl. Exhaustion claimed them shortly after, in the comfort of each other's arms.