First.

Love Education.

August 18, 2020.

12:45 PM

Dear diary,

It’s my first day at work, The kids were soooo adorable, I also became a substitute for a senior teacher, There’s one kid named Jihan, He called me pretty teacher and gave me a flower he picked at the school garden, What a funny and cute kid. I also met a lot of fellow teachers the same age as i am, There’s one named Joohyun and one named Yongsun – what a unique name and btw, She’s the senior teacher i substituted for. They were so nice to me, They even shared their lunch with me. Yongsun gave me a greek yoghurt that she personally made, She said it was good for digestion.

I’m really happy, I got my first job and the first day went well. Everyone was nice to me, I was treated very well and i really like it here.

 

- Sodam.

 

“Isn’t she so pretty? She could have looked like an actress, A leading lady in a drama.”

Writing down checks and x’s on the stack of test papers, Yongsun chuckled. Her hands were getting tired, Yet her ears were actively listening to the gossip around the senior faculty office. Everytime a new one comes, Seniors become intrigued by their visual and attitude. It wasn’t so new to hear all of those, Even she got gossiped by senior teachers ahead of her when she was still new around the faculty.

“Shut up, Joohyun. You’re extremely pretty too, We’re all very jealous.”

“Oh? At least you got complimented by your personality, While all I have ever received was criticism and that my face saved me.”

Yongsun gave a brief nod. Everyone thought at first Joohyun wasn’t so friendly but the person became friends with her and a lot more of them, Which was very far from the first impression. It was such a busy day, Each one of the teachers left the faculty and Yongsun was the only one left checking the test papers.

She was supposed to be having her class today but someone had to take over as a substitute, The new teacher everyone had been talking about since this morning. Her head lifted up as she had a gentle smile on her face, It seemed like her class has finished and the substitute came to greet her, Of course she had to ask how the kids in her section were behaving under the other’s supervision.

“How was it?”


Sodam just finished her substitute class for the day, She almost skipped due to excitement for her first day and her face looked like it was going to rip because of how widely she smiled the whole day. She expected a lot more negative vibe when stepping on her first day but it wasn’t that bad as she thought it would be, The kids were very energetic. There was no denying she is tired from all the running and reprimanding, She’s teaching preschool kids after all.

She had been given this substitution by a senior teacher in the faculty who also teaches for the elementary students, Sodam had never met this senior in person. She had only received an email for the substitution, The nervousness was there. She will be meeting for the first time, The senior named Kim Yongsun. As from what she had read, The latter stands the same age as her but only had been ahead of her. If she wasn’t very indecisive about her career path before she could have been a senior in the faculty now, She took a few seconds to breathe before pushing the door open.

How was it?

Sodam gave her senior a satisfactory smile whilst approaching very respectfully as she bowed and greeted the latter a quick good afternoon and a formal self-introduction.

“It was great! The kids are very active.”

“That sounds like it could mean two things.”

The latter laughed.

She follows suit and laughed along her senior.

“No, I really enjoyed it.”

The latter gave a quick nod, Sodam returns to her table after the little chat. Lunch came late, Almost everyone in the faculty including her were having their own naps during earlier. She could have gone by herself since she’s new and the seniors could have been going with their usual lunch buddies and circle of friends around the faculty.

Far from her expectations, She was approached by two seniors as she stood up about to have lunch on her own. The one was familiar rather, The one she just met and had a chat with and the other may be another senior whom she didn’t see early on.

“I’m Joohyun, Bae Joohyun. My friend right here, Yongsun-ie told me we should hang out with you.”

Sodam smiles at the rather enthusiastic approach by another senior, She also introduced herself to the latter. The three walked their way to the school’s cafeteria and shared a table assigned to the members of the faculty, They had a pleasant time spent having lunch. They each shared food and Yongsun out of the blue pulled out a jar that seemed to contain a white cream substance, It had caught her curiosity.

“What is that?”

There were two jars.

Must be something the two seniors both share during lunch time.

“This is her specialty, I’m actually tired of having it for the past three years but it’s good for your health.” Joohyun chimed in.

The conversation was of course for sarcasm, Joohyun was actually digging on the cream.

“Shut up, You love it. Well this a greek yoghurt that I have been making with my own hands, It’s good for digestion and just like what she said good for your health, I usually just bring one jar so we could share but I personally brought another one to thank you for substituting my class today.”

Sodam received the jar with utmost appreciation. The lid was wrapped prettily with decorations on it, At the top was a small thank you note. It was nice to receive something so warm, The yoghurt and the jar meant a lot to her since that day.

“You’re welcome, If you need another substitution i will be just four desks away.”

They all laughed.

“No no no, You have your classes to attend to. I also had finished checking all the test papers, You’re very nice. Did you know were all the same age? It’s great to meet another same aged friend like you.”

The latter said which made her smile.

Not only did she know that they were all the same age, She also heard from other seniors that these two used to be in the same college and were practically best of friends. It impressed her, That’s very rare these days. Friends who are very close to each other tend to take on different paths but these two took their paths and stood on it together.

“I did know, I’ve read about it and I’m all ears around the faculty. I heard about a beautiful friendship story between both of you, It was nice but it’s nicer because I got to meet the two of you.”


I did know, I’ve read about it and I’m all ears around the faculty. I heard about a beautiful friendship story between both of you, It was nice but it’s nicer because I got to meet the two of you.

Yongsun smiled.

She used to be so distant of people and didn’t have a lot of friends, Her junior and senior days in highschool wasn’t so good at all. She got used to doing things alone, She didn’t talk a lot as well so it took her time to adjust to the very social world in college and Joohyun was one of the few people who never left her side. It was almost as if Joohyun adopted her as a friend than she did, She mostly distanced herself even from Joohyun.

Thankfully, Joohyun never gave up on her and she has now a bestfriend teaching in the same preschool as her. They share a lot of their lives together, Even the deepest secrets they keep from other people.

“I know, I’m getting tired of seeing her face almost everyday in my life.”

She joked.

“Hey! If it wasn’t for me you would have still been very alone and wouldn’t be having lunch together right now.”

Joohyun reacted.

While they were giving each other sarcastic comments like how bestfriends would typically do, The fellow junior teacher was just smiling and laughing all throughout the horseplay conversation. She really liked hanging out with the latter even for the short time they were having a small chat in the faculty earlier and in lunch at the moment.

“I….have to go. I have classes to attend to, See you tomorrow!”

Joohyun waved goodbye.

Only her and Sodam were left at the table, They both had a minute to stop in the middle of an eye contact. It was awkward, Yet she’s the senior and should be the one breaking the silence between this awkward atmosphere they were wrapped in.

“Should we go together then?”

She asked.

“Yes yes, We should.”

Sodam answered.

They both went out of the cafeteria together to the faculty room and went each to their respective classes.


When classes came to an end and everyone went home, Sodam packed her things up and went out of the faculty room. As she went on her way to take a cab, Behind her was Yongsun tailing and they once again met eye to eye with smiles on their faces.

“Be safe on your way home.”

The latter warmly said.

“Likewise sunbae-nim.”

She answered.

“Just Yongsun, Yongsun-ie if you’re comfortable enough.”

Sodam chuckled and bowed apologetically as she answered once again.

“Be safe, Yongsun-ie.”

 

August 18, 2020.

6:00 PM

Dear diary,

I have a new friend, She’s Yongsun. A very very nice senior, She told me to be safe on the way home. I hope she’s also safe and is home by now.

I can’t wait to see her tomorrow.

- Sodam.