Second to none even at your worst (The rise)

Sugarplum Elegy

 

1 year and 10 months.

 

"Hey guys," Chaeyoung waves at the girls enthusiastically. "Over here!"

 

"This bar is pretty neat!" Jisoo looks around. "I like the vibe."

 

"Right?" Lisa grins. "It looks like a place cool people would hang out in."

 

"Totally." Jennie nods in approval. "So where is she, Chae?"

 

"Hold on," Chaeyoung replies. "They're about to play."

 

The lights dim and the spotlight focuses on a short-haired girl.

 

"That's her!" Chaeyoung points excitedly. "That's Wendy!"

 

Wendy starts to sing and they are instantly mesmerized by her smooth but powerful vocals. After their set, Chaeyoung beckons her to come and meet her friends.

 

"Nice to finally meet you! Son Seungwan," Wendy shakes all of their hands. "But you can call me Wendy. Rosie has told me so much about you guys."

 

"Good things, I hope?" Lisa smiles weirdly.

 

"Don't mind her, babe." Chaeyoung laughs. "She gets very shy at first then once you get to know her, she's a total pyscho."

 

"I hope you don't mind," Wendy says apologetically. "But I invited my friend to come see me play. I really wanted to hang out with you guys, but I've got to keep her company."

 

"It's no problem!" Jisoo says. "Although, if you want, you can just invite her over."

 

"Yeah," Lisa nods. "We don't mind."

 

"If it's okay with you and her, of course." Jennie adds.

 

"Yay!" Wendy smiles brightly. "We'd love that. Hold on, I think she's at the bar."

 

Wendy excuses herself and goes to her friend.

 

"She's great!" Jisoo exclaims.

 

"Yeah, you're so well-matched." Lisa agrees. "Although she's so short, I wonder how you kiss."

 

"Lisa!" Jennie slaps her friend's arm.

 

"I crouch down or I pick her up." Chaeyoung shrugs.

 

Lisa nods in understanding and bumps Chaeyoung's fist behind Jisoo's back.

 

"Shhh, everyone shut up!" Jisoo hisses. "They're coming over."

 

Wendy drags another short girl with her and Jennie chokes on her drink.

 

"Everyone," Wendy smiles. "This is---"

 

"Bae Irene!" They all said in unison.

 

Irene shyly smiles and Wendy cannot contain her surprise.

 

"You guys know each other?" She looks between her friend and the group.

 

"Well," Irene says. "I only know Jennie."

 

"She's Jennie's brilliant debate partner." Jisoo says proudly.

 

"Jennie's told us so much about you!" Chaeyoung shakes her hand jovially.

 

"Come sit down next to Jennie." Lisa offers.

 

Irene obliges and Jennie could only look pointedly at her friends for being so obvious.

 

They spend the evening talking and laughing as if they're all old friends

 

---

 

"Should I ask her out?" Jisoo tugs at Lisa's arm. They're all hanging out at Jisoo and Jennie's place this time, waiting for the latter to come home so they can watch their favorite show together. Chaeyoung is lounging on the floor, strumming her guitar absent-mindedly as Jisoo and Lisa scroll through their phone.

 

"I don't see any reason why not." Lisa shrugs.

 

"But.." Jisoo bites her finger. "I don't think we're there yet."

 

"Let me see." Chaeyoung puts her hand up without bothering to turn around and Jisoo hands her the phone.

 

"Well," Chaeyoung says slowly. "She definitely flirts back. But she's a hot girl and hot girls always flirt back." She wiggles her eyebrows. "I should know."

 

"You're just so full of yourself, aren't you." Jisoo snorts.

 

"Go ask her out." Lisa urges. "Chaeyoung's right; she is a hot girl. She's probably got lots of people pining after her."

 

"All right."

 

---

 

"How are things with Heejin?" Jisoo asks.

 

"Yeah, you've been dating for a while now and we still havent met her!" Chaeyoung adds.

 

Jennie is just quietly listening.

 

"We.." Lisa hesitates. "We broke up actually."

 

"Why?" Jennie says in spite of herself.

 

"I don't want to talk about it." Lisa simply replies.

 

"Are you okay, though?" Jisoo walks over to rub her friend's back.

 

"I will be," Lisa smiles mischievously. "If you throw a party here next week!"

 

----

 

"Chaeyoung, seriously." Jennie looks around. "How many people did you invite?"

 

"It wasn't me!" Chaeyoung gestures to Jisoo, who was talking to a group nearby. "Ask Miss Korea back there. Most of these are her friends."

 

"I got you some beer." Wendy walks up to them with cups on both hands. "Thanks again for letting me invite Irene, by the way."

 

"Irene is here?" Jennie's eyes widen.

 

"Oh, yeah!" Chaeyoung smirks. "You should go talk to her, Jen. Let's go, Wannie. I want to dance."

 

 

 

 

Jennie is hanging out at the balcony, choosing to just observe rather than partake in the shenanigans. Her eyes constantly dart towards Lisa, who has been playing beer pong with some people for the better part of the hour. Jennie sighs as she contemplates her feelings for her friend.

 

"Something on your mind?"

 

Jennie looks up as Irene shyly smiles at her. Jennie's heart skips a beat as Irene steps out to the balcony to join her.

 

"Just hanging out here." Jennie chuckles nervously. "I'm not really a people person when it comes to parties."

 

"I feel the same." Irene sighs. "I don't even know what I'm doing here since my friend's busy with her girlfriend anyway."

 

"Welcome to the club." Jennie and Irene toast their drinks as they laugh.

 

 

 

"Oh my God, Lis!" Jisoo suddenly grabs Lisa as she thew the orange ping pong ball across the table, causing her to miss badly.

 

"Yo!" Lisa rounds on Jisoo, annoyed. "What the heck?"

 

"She's here!" Jisoo motions sideways with her head. Lisa follows where Jisoo is pointing and her eyes land on Seulgi, who has just entered their apartment.

 

"Oh, yeah." Lisa laughs. "I forgot to tell you, I invited Seulgi."

 

"I should've dressed nicer then!" Jisoo complains.

 

Lisa regards her friend. "Don't worry, you look smoking! Now go offer her a drink."

 

"You do it!" Jisoo whispers, all panicky. "You were the one who invited her."

 

"I'm quite busy." Lisa turns back to her game. "Now be a good host and entertain my guest, please."

 

 

 

"Want to dance, beautiful?"

 

Irene looks at the guy disdainfully. "I'm sorry, but I'm actually talking to my friend right now.

 

The guy turns to look at Jennie. "She can come with."

 

Jennie rolls her eyes. "No, thanks."

 

The guy shrugs and walks away, muttering something offensive.

 

"Sometimes," Irene says. "I wonder where men get the audacity."

 

Jennie laughs. "I know, right? I can't believe I'm also attracted to them, it's disgusting."

 

"What do you mean, also?" Irene quips.

 

Jennie blushes. "I'm.. uh.. I'm also into girls? Kind of? I don't know."

 

Irene just smiles encouragingly. "It's okay if you still don't know."

 

"I'm quite sure I like one particular girl, though." Jennie doesn't know why she's sharing this much to a person she's not that close with, but Irene just has that aura that makes Jennie want to spill all her deep, dark secrets.

 

"Is it your friend, Lisa?" Irene guesses.

 

Jennie's eyes widen. "What? How did you know?"

 

Irene shrugs. "I saw the way you looked at her when we were at Seungwan's gig. And I saw how you were staring at her earlier. She's a lovely person, Jennie. Why don't you try asking her out?"

 

"Because.." Jennie bites her lip. "She's one of my best friends. I don't want to risk it. Besides, she's always dating someone, anyway."

 

"And how does that make you feel?"

 

Jennie stares at her empty cup. "I don't know. Sometimes I feel jealous, but most of the time, I just wish that whoever she's dating is treating her right."

 

Irene sighs. "You remind me of how I was when I met my first love."

 

"What, hopelessly falling for her friend but doing nothing about it?" Jennie snorts.

 

Irene does the same. "Exactly! We met when we were young to even know what's right and wrong, but I just knew that one day, I was going to marry her."

 

"Her?" Jennie tilts her head towards Irene.

 

She just simply nods. "But before I could get a chance to tell her how I feel, they moved away and I never saw her again."

 

"Don't make the same mistake I did, Jennie." Then Irene stands up and takes Jennie's hand. "Now, come on. It's getting depressing here. Let's go out there and dance!"

 

 

"So," Lisa slides a shot glass full of vodka across the table. "You've been dating Chaeyoung for how many months now?"

 

"About three months?" Wendy looks up as she calculates in her head.

 

"And how's it going?" Lisa raises her shotglass, silently inviting Wendy to do a shot.

 

"It's going pretty great, actually." Wendy smiles as they drink.

 

Lisa pours another glass. "Things are getting serious?"

 

"I guess?" Wendy accepts another shot from the tall girl.

 

"You guess?" Lisa raises an eyebrow innocently. "Why, you're having fights?"

 

"No, nothing like that." They do another shot. "Well, I'm pretty serious about her. I don't know about Chaeyoung though.."

 

"Doesn't she seem serious about you?" Lisa tilts her head to the side as she pours another shot.

 

"I don't know, actually." Wendy confesses as Lisa slides the glass one more time. "We've never talked about it."

 

"Lisa, what the hell?" Jisoo smacks the back of her friend's head. "What are you doing?"

 

"Ow!" Lisa massages her head. "I'm just hanging out with Wendy, what's wrong about that?"

 

"Is she trying to get you drunk?" Jisoo asks Wendy.

 

"I don't know," Wendy turns to Lisa. "Are you?"

 

"No!" Lisa laughs.

 

"She always does this." Jisoo explains. "Whenever Chaeyoung starts falling for a girl, Lisa gets them drunk and tries to get them to open up."

 

"Wow, I want to feel offended but.. Do you really think she's falling for me?" Wendy asks earnestly.

 

Lisa and Jisoo just laugh.

 

"Bigtime." Lisa reassures her. "Just don't tell her I said that, okay?"

 

"It'll be our secret." Wendy smiles.

 

"What's going on?" Chaeyoung suddenly appears. "Why are you guys laughing?"

 

"Nothing," Lisa pours another glass. "Your girlfriend's funny as heck. So, Jisoo, how's it going with Seulgi?"

 

Jisoo pouts. "I didn't get a chance to talk to her."

 

Lisa hands Jisoo a glass. "What? Why? I told you to entertain her!"

 

"I tried!" Jisoo hurriedly drinks the alcohol. "But some of her friends spotted her and now she hasn't stopped talking to people."

 

"I told you she's got lots of people pining after her." Chaeyoung shakes her head slowly as she takes a shot from Lisa. "Tell you what, I'll invite everyone to play games later."

 

"Hey," Lisa looks around suddenly. "Anybody seen Jennie?"

 

"She's with Irene." Wendy replies. "I saw them talking earlier."

 

"See?" Chaeyoung nudges Jisoo. "Even our sweet fruity Jennie's got more game than you!"

 

"Ugh," Jisoo groans. "Hand me the bottle."

 

 

 

"Oh my God." Jennie suddenly grips Irene's wrist. The girls are currently in the kitchen, looking for more ice.

 

"What?" Irene says, wide-eyed.

 

"Heejin is here."

 

"Who?" Irene's eyes narrow.

 

"Lisa's ex." Jennie cranes her neck around. "Who invited her here?"

 

"Let's go find the others."

 

 

"So you're still not going to tell me why you and Heejin broke up?"

 

Lisa spins the empty bottle on the table, avoiding Chaeyoung's stare. They are currently alone on the couch as Wendy took off to find Irene while Jisoo looked for Seulgi.

 

"She told me she wasn't sure about us anymore." Lisa keeps spinning the bottle. "Because she thinks she might be straight after all."

 

Chaeyoung lets out a soft sigh. This always happens to Lisa and she knows how heartbroken Lisa gets whenever she feels used like this. "I'm sorry, Lis."

 

"I seriously don't know why this keeps happening to me." Lisa laughs humorlessly. "And just when I'm falling for her too."

 

Chaeyoung pats her friend's back. "That . Don't worry, though. I'm gonna find you someone that's so gay, she's going to be shooting rainbows out her ."

 

Lisa chortles. "All right. Just remember, if we're still single by the time we're 40.."

 

"Yes, yes." Chaeyoung waves impatiently. "I'll marry you."

 

Lisa stands up. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta get my drink on."

 

"I'll catch up," Chaeyoung settles on the couch. "I'm gonna wait for Wendy."

 

Lisa is halfway though her drink when she hears Jennie calling her.

 

"Lisa!" Jennie sounds breathless, Irene several steps behind her.

 

"Hey!" Lisa smiles widely. "I've been looking for you! How's it going with Irene? You asked her out yet?"

 

"No." Jennie turns red. "Shut up for a second. I need to tell you something. Heejin is--"

 

"What about Heejin?" Lisa says coldly as she finishes her drink. "I don't want to hear that name, it's ruining my night."

 

"Ouch. And here I thought we broke things off amicably."

 

Lisa turns around to see Heejin smiling sheepishly at her. "Hi."

 

 

 

"So they went outside?" Chaeyoung asks.

 

Jennie nods.

 

"To make out?" She prompts.

 

Jennie shrugs.

 

"Why is she even here? Did you invite her?" Chaeyoung grabs Jennie's arm.

 

"Of course I didn't! I don't even know her!" Jennie says defensively.

 

"Should we go outside?" Chaeyoung questions.

 

"Chaeyoung." Wendy warns.

 

"All right, all right." Chaeyoung looks around. "Looks like this party's dead anyway. Let's go clean up."

 

"Where's Jisoo?" Jennie asks.

 

"Hopefully, making out with her crush." Chaeyoung leans in closer to whisper in Jennie's ear. "Which is what you should've been doing, Jennie. You've been with Irene all night, haven't you asked her out yet?"

 

"I don't think I can." Jennie bit her lip.

 

 

 

"You're really sure you can go home?" Chaeyoung asks Wendy again.

 

"Yes," Wendy nods. "I don't want to leave Irene alone."

 

"I told you, Wan." Irene smiles. "I can go home by myself."

 

"You can sleep over too, if you want." Chaeyoung says to Irene.

 

"No, no, I'm fine." Irene puts her hands up. "I already called an Uber, anyway."

 

"I guess I'll see you in class, Jennie?" Irene adds.

 

"Wendy," Chaeyoung suddenly grabs her girlfriend's hands. "Help me with these bottles."

 

Jennie swallows the dry lump in as Irene fidgets with the hem of her clothes.

 

"So," Irene looks at the floor. "You were planning to ask me out?"

 

Jennie goes red. "You heard that?"

 

Irene nods.

 

"I.. uh.."

 

Irene smiles. "Don't worry. You don't have to."

 

Jennie almost says that she really wants to.

 

"Besides," Irene adds. "You like Lisa. I don't want to be your fallback plan."

 

"You're not." Jennie manages to say. "But I understand."

 

"We could be friends?" Irene offers. "I really need more introverts in my life if I want to survive another college party."

 

They both laugh.

 

 

 

1 year and 11 months.

 

 

"For the last time," Lisa rolls her eyes. "We're just friends!"

 

"Friends don't let friends sleep with their exes they call their friends." Chaeyoung replies.

 

"What?" Jisoo looks quizzically at Chaeyoung.

 

"Man, I don't know." She sighs. "I'm so sleep-deprived, I don't even know what the hell I'm saying."

 

Jennie is silently dozing off in the corner.

 

"I don't know why you keep doing this to yourself, Lisa." Jisoo shakes the table and Jennie suddenly sits straight.

 

"What happened?" She asks groggily.

 

"Earthquake." The three reply.

 

"We're not sleeping together, we're just hanging out." Lisa says defensively.

 

"You swear on Chaeyoung's grave?" Jisoo asks.

 

"I swear."

 

"You swear on your mother's grave?" Chaeyoung raises an eyebrow.

 

Lisa looks at her for a moment. "All right, we're sleeping together."

 

Jennie is asleep on the table once more.

 

"But it's nothing. We're not together anymore." Lisa adds.

 

"Why are you even sleeping together?" Jisoo scoffs. "I thought Heejin was straight and that's why you broke up?"

 

"She is!" Lisa reassures. "She just.. misses me sometimes, you know?"

 

"Oh come on, Lis!" Chaeyoung fires up. "Stop playing around. She's not good for you."

 

"No one ever is!" Lisa retaliates. "Now, can we please drop this?"

 

"Not unless you promise you won't see sleep with her again." Jisoo says.

 

"Okay. I promise." Lisa scoffs. "Now, can we please study? I have rehearsals after this."

 

Lisa shakes the table and again, Jennie jolts awake.

 

"What happened?" Jennie asks, confused.

 

"Aftershock." The three answer in unison.

 

---

 

"Lisa's 18th birthday is coming up." Chaeyoung whispers.

 

"Why are you whispering?" Jisoo looks around. "Lisa's not here."

 

"I know," Chaeyoung giggles. "But isn't whispering more fun? It's like we're having a covert mission."

 

"I don't get why turning 18 is such a big deal, though." Jennie says. "I mean, she's already drinking."

 

"Because, Jennifer," Chaeyoung cups her friend's chin. "If Lisa does something stupid whilst drinking, she can get arrested. Isn't that fun?"

 

"Chaeyoung, we need to reevaluate how you perceive fun." Jisoo shakes her head.

 

"So, do we have plans?" Jennie asks.

 

"Yes." Chaeyoung pulls out a notepad. "Lisa told me years ago that when she turns 18, she wants to have a kids' party."

 

The two older girls groan in unison.

 

"Can't we just hit some bars or something?" Jisoo suggests.

 

"No. Because we always drink alcohol, Jisoo!" Chaeyoung whisper-hisses.

 

"So are you saying we're not gonna drink alcohol? Jennie raises her eyebrows.

 

Chaeyoung is silent for a beat.

 

"All right, I already reserved Wendy's bar for the whole night." Chaeyoung sighs in resignation.

 

"Is it called Wendy's Bar?" Jennie chuckles.

 

"No. It's called La Rouge." Chaeyoung backtracks. "I just like to call it Wendy's bar. Should I call it Chaeyoung's bar instead?"

 

"Focus." Jisoo raps her friends arm. "How did you even get the money?"

 

"I sell drugs." Chaeyoung says nonchalantly.

 

The two look at her.

 

"All right!" Chaeyoung surrenders. "I borrowed our Hawaii funds."

 

"CHAEYOUNG!"

 

"We'll" Chaeyoung points to the three of them continously. "Replace them, all right? Hawaii's like a million years away anyway."

 

---

 

"Should I invite Irene?" Jennie twists her pen in her hand again and again.

 

"Are you finally going out?" Jisoo's eyes widen.

 

"No. We're just friends." Jennie smiles.

 

"You like her?" Jisoo prompts.

 

"I guess?" Jennie shrugs. "I don't know."

 

"Jen.." Jisoo looks at her friend cautiously.

 

"What?"

 

"I think we need to talk."

 

"About?" Jennie flips her notebook.

 

"How long will you keep this from me?" Jisoo coaxes.

 

"Keep what?" Jennie twirls her pen again.

 

Jisoo stares at her. "Are you really gonna make me say it?"

 

Jennie heaves a sigh. "Please don't. It will make it all real."

 

"Jendeuk, it's already real." Jisoo says sympathetically. "You've just been in denial for so long."

 

Jennie drops the pen and she leans her head on her notebook. "I don't know what to do."

 

"The first step is admitting it." Jisoo looks around the library. "Go on. It's just me."

 

Jennie groans. "Fine."

 

She takes a deep breath and slowly exhales. "I have feelings for Lisa."

 

"That wasn't so bad, now was it?" Jisoo smiles.

 

"It's bad. I have it bad." Jennie sinks into her notebook once more.

 

---

 

"Wendy," Chaeyoung asks as she the smaller girl's hair. "Can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure, babe." Wendy replies.

 

"What do you do," Chaeyoung says slowly. "If your friends like each other but are too stubborn to admit it?"

 

"Hmm." Wendy says. "Do we know these friends?"

 

"Maybe."

 

"I'd say," Wendy pauses. "They're being idiots."

 

"Right?" Chaeyoung is glad that she finally caught on.

 

"It's obvious that one friend likes the other." Wendy rambles on. "But I think the other one's more hesitant."

 

"Wait, which friend's the hesistant one?" Chaeyoung asks.

 

"The.." Wendy grasps for something. "The one who looks like a dumpling?"

 

Chaeyoung laughs. "Yes, she's so unsure, bless her gay little heart."

 

"I even thought it was one sided at first." Wendy says. "I thought the dumpling didn't have feelings for the friend. But since you've confirmed it.."

 

"She hasn't told me yet, though." Chaeyoung trails off. "I guess I'll just coax it out of her at the party. Maybe they'll make out there."

 

"Oh, the friend's invited?" Wendy lights up. "Good! I was actually planning to ask you."

 

"Of course she's invited, silly." Chaeyoung laughs. "It's her party after all."

 

Wendy's brows furrow. "Who are you talking about?"

 

"Who are you talking about?" Chaeyoung returns the puzzled look.

 

"Lisa." "Irene."

 

Chaeyoung stops her girlfriend's hair.

 

"Oh no."

 

---

 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LISA!"

 

Lisa beams as her three closest friends surround her dressed as characters in Frozen.

 

"Aw, am I Olaf?" Lisa laughs as they hand her a paper bag with the snow man's orange nose poking out.

 

"Yes. Now go put it on!" Jisoo says.

 

Lisa squeals as she runs to her room.

 

"I truly hope you're happy, Jisoo." Jennie grumbles.

 

"I am happy, Kristoff." Jisoo teases.

 

"Elsa!" Chaeyoung calls out in a sing song voice. "Take my picture."

 

"Coming, Anna." Jisoo gives Jennie one last annoyingly sweet smile before prancing towards Chaeyoung.

 

"I should've been Elsa." Jennie huffs again as she joins the two.

 

 

 

"Make a wish, Olaf!"

 

Lisa shuts her eyes tight as she makes a wish. Then she blows out her candles enthusiastically.

 

They all laugh as they eat cake and dance around.

 

 

 

"You really thought we'd let the day go by without getting our drink on?" Chaeyoung laughs mockingly. "Seriously, Lis. What do you think of me?"

 

Lisa's eyes widen as they open the door to La Rouge and all of their friends scream happy birthday.

 

"Thank you so much!" Lisa hugs her friends as she gets passed around.

 

An hour later, the party is roaring and the Jennie finds herself dancing with Chaeyoung.

 

"Jen!" Chaeyoung shouts over the blare of the speakers. "You having fun?"

 

"Yes!" Jennie jumps up and down as Chaeyoung grooves to the beat.

 

Several minutes later, they both rest on the couch, sipping cocktails and observing their friends.

 

"So," Chaeyoung starts. "What's---"

 

"I have feelings for Lisa." Jennie blurts out.

 

"WOAH." Chaeyoung exaggerates her reaction. "That's new inf--"

 

"How long have you known?" Jennie grins at her.

 

Chaeyoung sighs. "Ever since I got back from Australia."

 

"Huh?" Jennie gives her a quizzical look. "But I only felt it three months ago."

 

Chaeyoung laughs. "If you say so."

 

"What do I do, Rosie?" Jennie sighs.

 

"What do you want?" Chaeyoung asks.

 

"I want her."

 

"There you go." Chaeyoung smiles.

 

"But what if she doesn't feel the same way? Or--or what if we break up and we stop being friends?" Jennie is close to tears.

 

"Jen," Chaeyoung laughs. "You're not even starting and yet your minds are all the way there."

 

"Did you say 'minds'?" Jennie gasps. "Does she like me too?"

 

"Well, why don't you go ask her?"

 

Jennie drinks a tall glass of water before she goes to find Lisa. If she's going to confess tonight, she wants to do it sober.

 

"Hey!" Someone suddenly grabs her hand and her heart does a little leap.

 

"Irene!" Jennie gushes.

 

"I've been looking for you." Irene's face is flushed.

 

"You okay there?" Jennie grabs her by the hand and they go into a quiet corner.

 

"I think.." Irene blinks. "I'm drunk."

 

"You wanna go home?" Jennie says softly.

 

Irene shakes her head. "Sorry, Jennie. Did I bother you?"

 

"No, not at all!" Jennie smiles. "I was just looking for Lisa."

 

"Do you.." Irene's voice drops. "Do you still like her?"

 

"I think so." Jennie giggles. "I'm actually about to tell her right now."

 

"Oh," Irene smiles. "Go on then, don't let me keep you."

 

"But, I don't want to leave yo--"

 

"Irene!" Wendy suddenly appeared. "There you are."

 

"Wendy's here." Irene squeezes Jennie's hand. "Now, go. Good luck out there."

 

Jennie hugs Irene and she goes.

 

"Thank you." Irene looks close to tears as she clings on to Wendy's arm.

 

"Come on, let's sit over there." Wendy rubs her back.

 

 

"Lisa." Jennie mutters. "Where are you?"

 

She spots Jisoo on the dance floor, pressed up against other bodies, swaying to the beat.

 

"Jisoo!" She calls.

 

"Hmm?" Jisoo just smiles.

 

"You seen Lisa anywhere?" Jennie asks.

 

"No." Jisoo looks around. "Maybe she's outside?"

 

"Okay. I'll go--hi!" Jennie suddenly can't hold back her wide smile as she spots Seulgi with her hands on Jisoo's waist.

 

"Hello." Seulgi disentangles herself from Jisoo to shake Jennie's hand. "I'm Kang Seulgi."

 

"I know!" Jennie grins once again as Seulgi looks puzzled. "I gotta go!"

 

 

"Rosie," Wendy calls lovingly at her phone. "Where are you?"

 

"By the bar." Chaeyoung's voice is slightly muffled from the music. "What's up?"

 

"I gotta get Rene home." Wendy pats her friend's head. "Girlie's drunk."

 

"Hold on, I'll be right there."

 

"I'm not drunk." Irene scoffs.

 

"Yeah?" Wendy smirks. "You like Jennie?"

 

"I'm not telling you."

 

"You won't?" Wendy pressed on. "Not even if I begged?"

 

"Well, you're not begging." Irene pouts.

 

"Pretty please?" Wendy smiles cheekily.

 

"Okay. I like Jennie." Irene nods matter-of-factly. "But she doesn't like me."

 

"She tell you that?" Wendy frowns.

 

"Basically." Irene sighs. "She's going to confess to the person she likes."

 

"Oh." Wendy threw an arm on her friend's shoulder. "Come on then. Let's get you home."

 

 

 

"You seen Lisa?" Jennie asks one of Lisa's Performing Arts classmate.

 

"I think she's over there by the bridge."

 

Jennie hurriedly runs across the street and cranes her head around.

 

Her eyes finally land on Lisa's back and she walks slowly towards her friend.

 

Then Jennie stops in her tracks as Lisa turns with Heejin in her arms.

 

The two laugh as they kiss and Jennie runs back to the bar without a second glance.

 

2 years.

 

"Jisoo, when are you going to stop fooling around with Seulgi and just DTR already?" Jennie groans as she hears another giggle from the older girl.

 

"We're fine with where we are right now." Jisoo answers without looking up from her phone. “Besides, you really shouldn’t be the one telling me all this when you haven’t even admitted that you and Irene are dating.”

 

“We’re not dating.” Jennie says simply. “We’re just hanging out.”

 

“By the way,” Jisoo looks at her friend sternly. “You shouldn’t be using her to get over.. you know.”

 

“I’m not!” Jennie retaliates. “I’m really not. I realized that I was just momentarily confused about.. her. And I’m not using Irene because we’re just friends.”

 

“Riiiiiight.”

 

---

 

“Lisa.” Chaeyoung sits down and faces her best friend. “We need to talk.”

 

“Okay.” Lisa’s shoulders tense up. “I ate your kimchi. I’m sorry but I was just so hu—”

 

“No.” Chaeyoung shakes her head. “It’s not that.”

 

“Then what is it?” Lisa visibly relaxes.

 

“Please don’t take this the wrong way..” Chaeyoung hesitates. “But I don’t like you with Heejin.”

 

Lisa scoffs.

 

“I don’t think she’s good for you.”

 

“And what makes you think you know what’s best for me?” Lisa says in a glaring tone.

 

“I’ve known you for about half my life.” Chaeyoung responds. “Just listen, okay? I think—"

 

“It doesn’t matter what you think.” Lisa cuts her off. “This is my relationship. My life.”

 

“But you’re unhappy!” Chaeyoung says, irritated. “I can see it in your eyes. And you always fight! You’re—”

 

“You know what? Just because you’re happy with Wendy, doesn’t mean you get to look down on other people’s relationships.” Lisa says scathingly.

 

Chaeyoung just shakes her head. “Lisa..”

 

“Whoever I’m with is none of your business.” Lisa gets up. “You don’t own me, Rosé.”

 

She says the last word menacingly.

 

­

2 years and 1 month.

 

“Come over.” Lisa whines over the phone. “I miss you.”

 

“I can’t.” Jisoo looks around. “I’m having dinner with my parents.”

 

“Why? Something special come up?”

 

Jisoo nods, biting her lip. “Yeah, something like that. Why don’t you ask Jennie to come hang out?”

 

“She’s not answering.” Jisoo could hear Lisa’s pout.

 

“And.. and Chaeyoung?”

 

Silence.

 

“She’s out with Wendy.”

 

“What about your girlfriend?” Jisoo says warily.

 

“We got in another stupid fight.” Lisa exhales loudly. “She’s thinks I’m cheating. This time, it’s with my dance partner.”

 

“Well, I’m sure you’ll make up.” Jisoo replies. “You have that fight about once a week anyway.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I gotta go, okay?” Jisoo says hurriedly. “My parents are here.”

 

Seulgi sits down on the chair across from Jisoo as the latter drops the call.

 

“So, I’m your 'parents' now?” She chuckles.

 

“Sorry.” Jisoo smiles apologetically. “I’m just not ready to tell them about us.”

 

Seulgi shrugs. “It’s fine by me. We're not a couple, anyway”

 

2 years and 2 months.

 

“Irene and I kissed.”

 

Chaeyoung slaps the table. “Well it’s about damn time!”

 

Wendy laughs. “So who initiated it?”

 

“I did?” Jennie looks unsure. “I don’t know.”

 

“How was it?” Jisoo says as she scrapes the bottom of her bowl for the last bit of shrimp.

 

“Great.” Jennie grins. “My first kiss with a girl was great!”

 

“Please tell me you’re finally going out.” Chaeyoung groans. “You’ve had a crush on her for, like, half a year now. We don’t need another Li—”

 

The dining table gets awkwardly silent as Chaeyoung abruptly stops but soon Jennie starts laughing.

 

“It’s fine. You’re right. We don’t need another Lisa situation.” Jennie says. “Yes, we’re dating.”

 

“So it looks like Jisoo’s the only single one left.” Wendy teases.

 

“Because she’s too slow to ask Seulgi out.” Jennie chuckles. “Now she’s boo’d up.”

 

“Seulgi’s not single anymore?” Chaeyoung gasps. “Since when?”

 

“A mutual friend saw her on a date with a girl one time.” Jennie pats Jisoo’s arm. “I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine.” Jisoo feigns disappointment.

 

Jisoo lets out a sigh that turns to a startled shriek as Lisa suddenly bursts out of her room.

 

“No, that’s not what I said!” Lisa says angrily to her phone. “You’re twisting my words.”

 

“Here we go.” Chaeyoung says in a low voice as she stands up to put the dishes in the sink. Wendy joins her just to have something to do.

 

“I’m not lying to you!” Lisa continues. “You’re being ridiculous.”

 

“So, I better go..” Jennie steps off her chair.

 

“Get your back here, Jennie and come help us clean up.” Jisoo warns.

 

“I got dance practice. Let’s just talk about this later, Heejin.” Lisa pleads and she waves goodbye to the group hurriedly.

 

“Good luck!” Jisoo calls.

 

“Good luck with that.” Chaeyoung gestures to Lisa’s retreating back as she continues to bicker with her girlfriend.

 

2 years and 3 months.

 

“I can’t take it anymore!” Lisa pulls at her hair.

 

Chaeyoung looks at her friend’s notebook. “It’s all right, Lisa. You got the answer right.”

 

“No, I didn’t mean this.” Lisa closes her notebook. “Chaeyoung..”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You were right.” Lisa slumps on the table.

 

“About?” Chaeyoung tilts her head.

 

“I’m so unhappy with my relationship.” Lisa groans, her voice muffled because she’s facedown on the table. “I want to break up with Heejin.”

 

Chaeyoung purses her lips.

 

“Please don’t say ‘I told you so’.” Lisa turns to the side to face Chaeyoung.

 

“I won’t.” Chaeyoung busies herself with writing on her notebook. “Here.”

 

Chaeyoung tears a page and slides it across the table to Lisa.

 

Lisa opens the note and stares at Chaeyoung’s handwriting.

 

I TOLD YOU SO :P

 

---

 

“Lisa,” Jisoo taps her friend’s shoulder. “What time are we supposed to go to your thing?

 

“What thing?” Chaeyoung interjects.

 

“Your photography class project or something?” Jisoo scratches her cheek.

 

“You mean our exhibit?” Lisa says.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“How did you know we had an exhibit?” Lisa’s eyes narrow.

 

“Didn’t you mention it a couple of weeks ago?” Jisoo laughs nervously, afraid to get caught in a lie. “Did you forget?”

 

“Oh.” Lisa scratches her head. “Did I? Must have forgotten. Well, it’s at 5pm. You don’t have to go, but there’s free fo--”

 

“We wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Chaeyoung says.

 

“I’ll try to come, Lisa.” Jennie says as she flips through a thick book. “I have exams all day and a final debate until 5. Sorry.”

 

“Don’t sweat it, Jen.” Lisa smiles. “It’s not a big deal anyway.”

 

 

 

“Lisa,” Chaeyoung and Jisoo gapes. “These are amazing!”

 

“You shot these?” Jisoo looks up at the portraits.

 

“Yeah..” Lisa says shyly.

 

“Pretty great, right?” Seulgi smiles widely as she approaches the three.

 

“Hey, Seulgi!” Chaeyoung waves. “I saw your photos earlier. Yours are pretty good too!”

 

“Thank you.” Seulgi blushes slightly.

 

“Oh, I haven’t seen it yet.” Jisoo says in a slightly higher voice.

 

Seulgi looks at her. “Do you want me to show you?”

 

“Sure.” Chaeyoung notices that their fingers are touching as they walk away.

 

“Man, Seulgi’s such a player.” Chaeyoung groans. “Look at her flirting with Jisoo when she’s got another girl.”

 

 

 

“Lisa.” Her professor taps her shoulder. “Congratulations. This is really marvelous work.”

 

“Thank you, Miss Young.” Lisa beams.

 

“I’m proud of you.” Chaeyoung hugs her friend tightly. “By the way, when did you take this photo?”

 

She points to the area on the right several feet above their heads. It’s a portrait of a woman on her side watching the sunset.

 

“A long time ago.” Lisa chuckles.

 

“It looks oddly familiar.” Chaeyoung squints.

 

“Yeah, that’s actually Jennie.” Lisa shrugs.

 

“Woah!” Chaeyoung turns to Lisa. “Did you tell her she’s on your exhibit?”

 

Lisa shakes her head. “It’s not a big deal.”

 

 

2 years and 4 months.

 

"Chaeyoung." Lisa drops everything when she sees her best friend crying in front of their living room. "What's wrong?"

 

"Wendy.. Wendy broke up with me." She says and her voice cracks.

 

"WHAT?" Lisa asks bewildered. "Why?"

 

"She's moving to Canada." Chaeyoung sobs uncontrollably.

 

"Oh no." Lisa frowns and she tenderly engulfs Chaeyoung in a hug. "I'm so sorry, Chaeng."

 

"I don't understand how she could just go and decide to break up with me without us talking about it." Chaeyoung whispers. "I wanted to fight for us."

 

"I know you do." Lisa her hair.

 

"I love her, Lisa." Chaeyoung cries harder. "I love her."

 

"I know." Lisa plants a soft kiss on top of Chaeyoung's head.

 

"And now she's gone."

 

---

 

"Why the long face?" Jisoo tuts. "It's summer break, Jen! Go out and enjoy the sun!"

 

"I don't feel like doing anythng." Jennie rolls on her bed. "I just wanna lay down and sleep until tomorrow."

 

"Don't you have a hot date tonight?" Jisoo winks.

 

"Don't remind me!" Jennie covers her face with a pillow.

 

"Why? Are you scared?" Jisoo laughs.

 

"Of course, I'm scared!" Jennie speaks into the pillow. "I mean, we agreed to take it slow, but.. hotel room."

 

"You can always go home after the reception." Jisoo offers. "But that would be impractical since the venue's so far away."

 

"Why did I agree to go to this wedding?" Jennie flaps her feet like a seal. "I'm so nervous, Chu."

 

"You want me to teach you how?" Jisoo smirks.

 

Jennie picks up her pillow and throws it to Jisoo.

 

2 years and 5 months.

 

"Jennie, how's it going with Irene?" Lisa asks as they stop to rest.

 

Jennie continues to jog in place. "It's going great. Why do you ask?"

 

"Because," Lisa reaches down to tie her running shoes. "You've never brought her over to hang with us."

 

"Oh." Jennie stops jogging. "Well, I don't want to upset Rosie. She just got over her 'crying everyday' phase. Irene might remind her of Wendy."

 

"That's true." Lisa nods.

 

"But I'll try to talk to Chaeyoung." Jennie says. "Maybe it won't be so bad."

 

Lisa laughs. "I can't believe the three of us are single and you're now the one who's in a relationship."

 

"That's 'cause I got game, loser." Jennie giggles. "Now, get your up! I'll race you back home!"

 

 

---

 

"Are you sure Jennie won't be home until much later?" Seulgi asks as they cuddle under the sheets.

 

"Yes. She's with her girlfriend." Jisoo says. "Why? Do you want to go?"

 

"Not really."

 

Jisoo bites her lip. "Seulgi.."

 

"Yes?" Seulgi turns to her.

 

"Are we.." Jisoo hesitates.

 

"We're whatever you want us to be."

 

 

2 years and 6 months.

 

"Chaeyoung," Lisa says. "It's time to go."

 

"One more drink." Chaeyoung says dismissively.

 

"Okay."

 

 

 

"I hate you. I hate you so ing much, Wendy!" Chaeyoung screams into the void.

 

"Yeah, shout a little louder so she can hear you all the way from Canada." Jennie laughs as she turns the steering wheel. "By the way, Lis. You owe me one. You can choose whether you'll pay for my gas or my lunch for the whole week."

 

"Fine. Hey, Irene. I'm really sorry about this." Lisa slurs as she turns to Irene. "She doesn't really hate your friend."

 

"It's fine." Irene assures her. "I kinda hated her a little bit at first because she left me hanging too."

 

"You don't get to ghost me, Wendy!" Chaeyoung shouts again. "I'm way too hot to be ghosted!"

 

"Tell 'em, Chaeng!" Lisa shouts on the other side of the window. "You hear that, universe? Chaeyoung is too hot to be ghosted!"

 

Irene and Jennie laugh as the two best friends shout to their hearts' desire.

 

"I hate you, Wendy! I hate how much I miss you!" Chaeyoung cries out. "I hate how I still love you!"

 

"I hate you too, Heejin!" Lisa shouts at the same time. "You accused me of cheating on you then you went around and slept with my dance partner!"

 

"I love my friends!" Jennie also shouts and their voices clash as they all holler out the window. "But I hate you, Wendy and Heejin! Because just when I'm finally in a relationship, you guys go and break their hearts!"

 

"I think I'm falling for you, Jennie!" Irene also bellows. "And I hate it because I don't think you feel the same!"

 

2 years and 7 months.

 

Jisoo blinks several times as she dials Seulgi's number.

 

"Heeeeeey."

 

"Hey yourself." Seulgi chuckles. "Are you drunk?"

 

"It's a secret." Jisoo makes a shushing noise. "You can't tell anyone."

 

"All right." Seulgi says.

 

"Seulgi. Do you like me?" Jisoo says.

 

"Of course."

 

"Then why don't you show it?" Jisoo pouts.

 

Seulgi laughs. "You want me to come over right now and show you just how much?"

 

"I don't mean it that way, idiot." Jisoo giggles despite herself. "I mean.. why don't you tell others about us?"

 

"What's there to tell?" Seulgi says quietly. "Besides, you said you weren't ready."

 

"But it's been four months." Jisoo says in a small voice. "I think I'm finally ready."

 

"But we're not a couple, Jisoo." Seulgi simply says. "You said this wasn't exclusive."

 

Jisoo sighs. "I know what I said. Fine. I'll talk to you tomorrow, I guess."

 

She opens the door to the bathroom to find Lisa slumped against the side.

 

"What took you so long?" Lisa grins knowingly. "Did you puke, Jichu?"

 

"No. Are you going in there to puke?"

 

Lisa fires finger guns to her friend. "You bet I am."

 

 

 

"It's been a week since she said she loved me." Jennie wails. "But I haven't responded yet."

 

"Do you love her?" Chaeyoung looks at her with glassy eyes.

 

"I don't know!" Jennie places her hands on her cheeks. "I don't even know what to feel about what she said."

 

"Then you don't love her." Jisoo shrugs as she settles back down on the couch. "It's as simple as that."

 

"Even if you did love her,” Chaeyoung says tearfully. “It doesn’t matter. Because she’s just gonna leave you. Because that’s all they do. They all leave without giving you a chance to fight for your love. They all just go to Canada without so much as—”

 

“All right, Chaeng.” Jisoo stands up and takes Chaeyoung into her arms. “That’s your cue. Time for bed.”

 

“Nighty night.” Jennie grins lopsidedly as they both sway while walking hand in hand towards Chaeyoung’s bedroom.

 

Lisa stumbles back to the living room. “Where are the others?”

 

“Jisoo went to put Rosie to bed.” Jennie giggles. “Although I think they’ll both pass out before they even reach the door.”

 

“Man, my world is spinning.” Lisa clutches her head. “It’s a good thing classes don’t start for another week.”

 

“Lisa.” Jennie moves closer and Lisa automatically puts her arm around her. “Did you love Heejin?”

 

“No.” Lisa scoffs. “I mean I liked her a lot and so I thought I did.. but something just felt off, you know?”

 

“Like there’s something missing?”

 

“Exactly.” Lisa sighs as she leans her head against Jennie’s. “Like there’s something wrong but I don’t know what. And the more I tried to ignore it, the more it felt off. And.. well, you know how it ended.”

 

“Oh no,” Jennie sniffs. “That’s how I feel about Irene. Like there’s something incomplete. But I can’t pinpoint what it is.”

 

“Maybe you’re just overanalyzing it.” Lisa closes her eyes. “But I don’t know.”

 

"I don’t want Irene and I to be like what you and Heejin became.” Jennie murmurs.

 

“Maybe you won’t.”

 

“But it just doesn’t feel right.” Jennie says.

 

“Well,” Lisa shuffles closer as she gets on the brink of falling asleep. “What does feel right?”

 

Jennie turns to look at Lisa and their faces are so close together that Lisa’s lips could touch hers if she moves forward even just an inch.

 

Jennie heaves a sigh as Lisa drifts off to sleep.


 

“This.”