Fluttering

more than a crush

The next few weeks pass with Chorong failing to avoid Eunji. It’s not merely coincidental; Eunji has taken interest in irritating Chorong as much as she can. She’ll purposely until she’s hotheaded and steaming with frustration, snap pictures of her when she’s not looking to use it as “blackmail”, and follow her around until she’s physically shoved away. But some of their constant time together is due to pure luck. After Eunji somehow manages to be hired at the cafe Chorong works at, Chorong has been in charge of teaching her the ropes and, of course, it hasn’t been easy.

“You forgot the milk,” Chorong comments from the side, shoving the drink back into Eunji’s hands.

“No I didn’t!” Eunji argues while knowing very well that she did. “I was just testing you.”

Chorong doesn’t even break a smile. She points back to the coffee machine and says, “Again.”

“Fine,” Eunji groans, “You’re such a drag sometimes.”

“I’ve taught you this same drink five times now and all five times, you’ve forgotten the milk!”

“This is why I need a better teacher.”

“Or maybe you can be a better student!”

“How about this then,” Eunji perks up, lifting up her finger like a bulb has gone off above her head, “Since you’ve taught me about your job, how about I’ll teach you a little something about mine?”

“What?” Chorong doesn’t even have a chance to think about what that means because suddenly, Eunji is inches from her face, breath hot against her eyelids that flutter shut. She can feel her shoulders tense when Eunji grips them, but instead of their lips, Eunji leans forward until their foreheads are touching, shaking softly with laughter.

“You thought I was going to kiss you, didn’t you?” Eunji sings teasingly only to be shoved harshly back into the counter. Chorong’s head swings around the empty cafe, making sure that no one has seen Eunji’s silly antics. “You know, you’re kind of cute when you’re all nervous like that.”

“Shut up!” Chorong hisses, feeling heat rush through her cheeks as she all but pushes Eunji back to the coffee machine again, “Just make your stupid coffee again.”

“Anything you say, princess,” Eunji winks and turns back, smiling to herself without even looking at Chorong’s fuming expression. She can do with simply imagining the way her brows furrowed and her lips purse in annoyance.

The night drags on with just the two of them in the cafe, waiting on customers that don’t seem to come and growing sleepier by the minute. Eventually, Eunji has her elbows propped up on the counter, her body against the cabinets and eyes drooping close. She’s resisting the urge to sit down because Chorong already is, crouched up in the corner with her hand against her cheek.

“How much longer is our shift again?” Eunji asks quietly. 

Chorong mumbles something under her breath about never taking the night shift again before telling her, “An hour left.”

“An hour,” Eunji repeats softly and then feels herself grow silent again. Ten minutes don’t even pass when Eunji pipes up again. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“What is it?” Chorong answers drowsily.

“Why are you still friends with me?” Maybe it’s because she’s not even in her conscious mind at the moment, but Eunji can’t help but ask. In fact, she had been surprised that Chorong had not been more forceful about avoiding her the second she knew about Eunji’s job. But strangely, even while constantly being in a state of vexation around Eunji, Chorong stuck through it.

“We’re not friends.” Chorong haughtily denies, turning her nose up as she looks away.

Eunji blanches, “Fine. Acquaintances then.” She waits for Chorong to meet her gaze again, “Why are you still my acquaintance?”

Chorong has an unreadable expression on her face, but she finally lets out a small sigh, getting to her feet and joining Eunji by the counter. “I don’t know to be honest,” she looks down at her nails, the pastel paint glinting in her eyes, “It just didn’t really affect me.”

“Yeah, I could totally tell from the way you practically ran away screaming when I told you,” Eunji jokes, but Chorong just rolls her eyes.

“I just have bad reactions,” she admits, “But I don’t know if my thoughts about you really changed. Though I guess they weren’t very good from the beginning.”

“Right,” Eunji chortles, “Because you thought I was a swindler.”

“You might as well be.”

“I feel like I should be offended.”

Chorong shakes her head mid-laughter, but goes back to shifting her weight on each foot, examining Eunji’s expression. “Either way, I’m sure you have your own reasons for living however you do.”

“I’ve actually stopped these days,” Eunji blurts out in the moment. It’s not a lie. Ever since she’s met Chorong, she’s felt strange about meeting Naeun and the others. She recalls wondering if it was because she liked her. At first, it was too scary of an idea, but now, all Eunji can wonder is if it’s true.

“Why is that?”

“I’m not sure yet,” Eunji whispers under her breath, but smiles when she sees Chorong’s curious face, “But I’ll let you know if I find out.”

Chorong lets out a little huff of breath but goes back to resting her head against the counter. Eunji finds herself staring, a warm fuzzy feeling in her chest calling out to her. Had it been Chorong’s words that touched her? Or was it the soft twinkling in her eyes, the genuity of their moment, the strange tension in their air? Eunji had probably known subconsciously from the second she began enjoying bugging Chorong, watching her every expression, chuckling to herself at the pictures of Chorong on her phone––she liked her. It comes down all at once and when Eunji finally identifies it, she’s overwhelmed.

She likes her.

 

“So where is Hayoung right now?” Namjoo asks as she takes another chicken wing from the to-go box.

“Some soccer game,” Chorong says in exasperation, “I just don’t understand. She’s suddenly got this whole new dream of becoming a soccer player.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“A lot!” Chorong shouts out, “She’s studying computers for god’s sake, not some sport she’s been oddly obsessed over.”

“Look, she’s in college now, Chorong. You’ve got to let her go.”

Chorong glares at Namjoo threateningly, but knows she’s right. She’s always had a knack for being concerned about Hayoung’s choices even though, in the end, Hayoung seemed to make them well on her own. But her eased thoughts are instantly proved incorrect when she hears her phone ringing. It’s Eunji.

“What do you want?” Chorong snaps immediately.

“Hello to you too.”

“What do you want?” Chorong repeats.

“Well, since you’re asking so politely,” There’s some rummaging on the other end, “I’m outside your apartment right now.”

“Why?”

“I’m kind of carrying your injured little sister and for the sake of my back, it’d be wonderful if you’d let me in.”

“What?” Chorong is already out the door, phone still pressed against her ear, “Why didn’t you lead with that!”

“Because then you’d start yelling like you are right now!”

“I’m going down!” Chorong huffs and goes to fetch Eunji. 

When Chorong spots Eunji with Hayoung strewn on her back she feels a little like fainting. Hayoung has a cut lip and her ankle looks swollen to an irregular size, one that makes Chorong wince at the thought of its pain. Hayoung, however, looks perfectly pleased with her state and waves happily at the sight of her older sister. “Hi, unnie! We won the game!”

“Yes they did!” Eunji whoops and it looks like she would have given Hayoung a high five if Chorong wasn’t staring her down at that very second. “Hey, can we just talk in your apartment. This big baby is definitely too heavy for even me.”

Chorong scoffs, but punches in the gate code to go inside, nagging Hayoung the entire way there. She’s midway saying “Mom and dad didn’t send you to college so you can crack your skull on a soccer post and bleed to death!” when she props open the door for Eunji and Hayoung to come inside. Hayoung doesn’t even seem to be listening, because the second she’s plopped onto the couch, she greets Namjoo with the same, “Hi Namjoo unnie! We won the game!”

“Nice–” Namjoo stops herself, stuffing some radish into to muffle her own words. Chorong nods approvingly.

“Do you have any antibiotics?” Eunji asks as she remembers Hayoung’s lip. She had somehow already dug through Chorong’s fridge for some ice and was in the middle of making her a makeshift ice pack for the ankle.

“I’ll get it for her,” Chorong sighs and finally detaches from Hayoung to go through her cabinets. It’s then that Eunji joins Namjoo and Hayoung on the couch, gently pressing the ice against Hayoung’s swollen ankle.

“So how did Eunji end up carrying you here?,” Namjoo asks curiously. 

Hayoung beams proudly, “She came to support me at the game.”

“She fell while trying to dodge around an opponent and tripping on her shoelaces,” Eunji confirmed and mocks Chorong’s sigh sounding from back at the kitchen.

“I was still pretty good, wasn’t I?” Hayoung asks eagerly. 

“You were the best,” Eunji tells her and ruffles her hair, scooting over to let Chorong apply the ointment to Hayoung’s lip.

“You know I hate to say this Hayoung, but I really don’t feel good about you putting your all into this sport.” Chorong finally manages to admit after all the nagging. Hayoung seems to deflate at the looming words, even while knowing that they would eventually come.

“Hey, hey it’s a kid’s dream,” Eunji cuts in suddenly.

“Yeah, but it’s just dangerous,” Chorong protests, “She came here to study what she loves, not change her mind in her first year and pursue soccer out of the blue.”

“But I love soccer too.” Hayoung says softly, looking up at Chorong with hopeful eyes. Chorong feels herself melt from that childlike expression, and while she’s still thinking of what to say, Eunji beats her to it.

“It’s a really nice dream you have, Hayoung,” Eunji turns to face Hayoung directly, a gentle smile on her face, “But I think what your sister is trying to say is that you don’t have to do and love only one thing. You love your nerdy computer science, right?”

“I guess so,” Hayoung says solemnly, wincing when she feels her lip sting at the movement.

“And you love soccer too. That’s completely fine. But it’s your first year and from what I’ve seen, I think you’d make a darn great addition to another nerdy tech company or something.” Eunji feels better with how the talk is going when she notices Hayoung smile, “What I’m saying is that you’ve got time and you can always be playing soccer while you spend it. And if you finish this year still thinking you’d be happier becoming a soccer player, then I’ll be the first one to have your back.” Eunji points ‘discreetly’ at Chorong, “Even if your uptight sister tries to stop me.”

Chorong rolls her eyes but she can’t help but feel better. Sure, she’s still worried sick about Hayoung coming back with a broken skull, but she won’t be making impulsive decisions anymore. She realizes she’s been staring at Eunji for too long when Namjoo gives her the wiggly eyebrows again, pointing at Eunji and hugging herself to pretend as if she’s making out.

“Well, I should get going now,” Eunji says, chafing her hands as she gets up from the couch. She gives Hayoung another reassuring beam, waves at Namjoo accordingly, and bows mockingly at Chorong before heading to the door. Chorong follows her out, despite Eunji saying there is no need.

“Thank you back there,” Chorong says shyly, “I don’t know what I would’ve said to her. She probably wouldn’t have listened anyway.”

“She would have,” Eunji objects, “She’s a good kid.”

Chorong smiles. “Have a nice night, Eunji.”

“You too.”

With that, Eunji walks off, Chorong staring at her back until the dark night consumes her silhouette.

“You’re in love,” Namjoo sings from behind her and Chorong has to swat at her to get her to shut up. At first, it’s because she’s embarrassed, but then she wonders if it’s really true.

Has she fallen for Jung Eunji?