Chapter 7

A Race To My Heart
"Max! Max! Wake up," Xiah said in quite a rush. He continuously shook Max's shoulder to get him out of bed.

Max slowly opened his eyes. "What's wrong hyung?" he asked Xiah with a confused expression on his face.

"Get up. We have something to show you. It's quite serious. So hurry," U-Know suddenly said. He was also standing next to Xiah.

Max stared at Xiah and U-Know with curiosity on his face. He carefully got up and stretched his arms. He was still very sleepy. He was already planning to sleep until after lunch time since they didn't have anything to do that day. So he was totally confused on what was happening.

"Is he up yet?" Jaejoong asked as he entered the room.

"Yes, he is," Xiah replied.

"Get him into the living room. I think you guys need to see the news," Jaejoong said with a worried look on his face.

"What?" U-Know asked with a more confused look that quickly appeared on his face.

U-Know, Xiah and Max hurriedly went to the living room with their hearts racing with fear.

In the living room, Micky was already quietly watching the morning news. He looked at Max with mixed expressions on his face. "Max . . ." he uttered.

"This news really made such a big commotion last night on the internet. It seems several pictures were posted on different sites. The controversial pictures showed Max Changmin of the very famous boyband Dong Bang Shin Ki, holding hands with a girl. . . But the most revealing picture that really caused an uproar amongst fans was the picture showing the said girl kissing Max. Our sources have confirmed that the girl in the picture is race car driver Fate Nakamura. She is currently in Japan to attend a racing competition. It is also said that the two met because the said event. It seems that the DBSK boys are the ones who sung the song for the commercial of the race car competition. And the pictures that were leaked out were actually taken during the making of the commercial yesterday," the female host of the show started to say.

Max continued to stare at the TV screen with shock and fear in his eyes. He had already become very pale and he somehow had lost all his strength. He felt very weak that he just fell down on the couch near him.

The other DBSK boys looked at their friend. They were all very concerned with what was happening. They didn't want Max to face any problems.

"We have already contacted SM Entertainment and they have already made an official statement regarding this matter. It seems that the supposedly relationship between Max Changmin and Fate Nakamura is real. . . So for all the fans out there . . . this is official, Max Changmin and Fate Nakamura are a couple now. I know a lot of girls will be crying today. But let's just wish them all the luck with their new relationship. I really think that they look so good together. . . A perfect match to be exact," the female host said with a light laugh. "Anyway we will try to get Max and Fate on the show . . . so we can personally interview them . . . if their schedules permits. So just continue to wait for our other upcoming reports regarding this new cute couple. Thank you so much for watching . . . ."

Micky quickly turned off the TV. Then they all faced Max who was obviously very much confused on what to do.

"Max . . ." U-Know uttered with concern.

"Hyung . . . what should I do?" Max asked the other DBSK boys.

Micky, Xiah, Jaejoong and U-Know exchanged glances with each other. They didn't know what to do either.

"Frankly . . . we don't know what to do either," U-Know replied as he sat down beside Max.

"But what really makes me worried is . . . why did our company admit Max's relationship with Fate. I find it to be really weird," Micky said with a worried look on his face.

"I guess we're both thinking about the same thing. Do you think President Lee is planning something?" Jaejoong asked the other boys.

"Planning something? What kind of thing . . . are you thinking about?" Max asked with fear in his eyes.

"I just think that everything that is happening is really weird. How come pictures in the set yesterday were leaked out? It only means that one of the staff members were the ones who released it. There was no way that a fan could have taken those pictures," Micky said.

U-Know nodded his head in agreement. "Yes, maybe one of the staff took pictures of Max and Fate. But the question is . . . why post the pictures? What do they get from doing it?"

Max ran his fingers through his hair in total confusion. He was totally lost on what to do next.

"Sorry Max, but I have a bad feeling about all of this. I think you should prepare yourself already for the other effects that this news will bring. And I am telling you . . . it won't be good," Micky warned Max.

Max sighed heavily. "Do you think Fate already knows about this?"

"It's already passed 9 in the morning. She's supposed to be in a meeting right?" Jaejoong asked back.

Max felt like his head going to explode. He suddenly leaned on the couch and just closed his eyes. "I am so embarrassed . . . What will Fate think of me now? She might actually think that I'm just using her for publicity," he said with a trembling voice.

"Don't think like that . . . I know Fate will understand what is happening. It isn't our fault that those pictures were leaked out. She's also famous . . . So she knows all about the scandals and gossips that are spread around almost everyday on the news," Xiah tried to comfort Max.

"I . . . I . . . I want to call her but . . . what am I supposed to say?" Max said.

"Just call her and ask her how she is doing. . ." Jaejoong suggested.

"But . . ." Max said with hesitation.

"Call her . . ." Micky said with a more firm tone.

Max stared at his friends . . . then after a few minutes, just nodded his head.

In Fate's hotel room . . .

"What do you plan to do now?" Michael asked Fate as she just turned off the TV.

"Well . . . what am I supposed to do?" she asked back.

Michael sighed. "I think what you got yourself into . . . is really a very difficult situation. Do you know that there are already several reporters outside the hotel waiting for you? And aside from that, I already spotted several groups of young girls waiting outside the hotel as well. And I wouldn't be surprised, if they are waiting for you too. I think you better prepare yourself."

"I'm not regretting anything . . . if that is what you're waiting for me to say . . ." she said as she slowly put on her coat.

"And where do you think you are going?" Michael asked worriedly.

"Out," she simply replied.

"Out? Where? You can't go out now . . . Just let a day pass . . . You can go out tomorrow," Michael said firmly.

Fate smiled at her friend. "Michael, we have a meeting today right. I can't possibly miss it."

Michael sighed again. "You can just skip the meeting for today. It might be bad for you to go out. I'll just explain everything to the organizers and the other staff members."

"No, I am going to the meeting . . . and that is final," she said with firmness in her voice.

"But . . ." Michael was about to say something.

"Don't worry . . . Everything will be all right," Fate said with a light laugh. "You're worrying too much."

Michael shook his head in total disbelief with the way Fate was acting. Somehow she didn't care about what was going to happen to her.

Suddenly . . . Fate's phone rang . . . She quickly answered it and was surprised to hear who was calling her.

"Max . . ." she uttered with delight.

"How are you? Are you okay?" Max asked with a trembling voice.

Fate immediately noticed the change in Max's voice.

"What's wrong Max? What's wrong with you?" she asked with concern.

"Have you watched the news? Did you go online today?" he asked worriedly.

Fate laughed lightly. "Is that the reason why you're acting so gloomy? . . . Yes, I have watched the news and I have also read all the news on the internet . . . You don't have worry . . . I already expected this kind of thing to happen," she said with a soft voice.

Max sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" she asked.

"Sorry for causing such a commotion . . . Sorry for all the trouble," he replied.

"Max, you don't have to say sorry. I understand . . . I already knew that things like this was bound to happen once I got involved with you. I really like you . . . I've never felt such a strong attraction to a guy before. That's why I decided to be true to myself and let out my real feelings for you. So I don't care about all the news that is scattering all over the internet or on TV. . . as long as I am happy with you. I don't care about anything else," Fate said bravely.

Max felt like his heart was going dancing in the clouds. He couldn't explain the happiness he was feeling.

"Fate . . ." he uttered.

"Uhmmm?" she asked.

"Thank you . . . for understanding," he said shyly.

Fate couldn't help but smile. "I have to go on a meeting now, Max. I'll call you later okay?"

"Oh . . . sure. Take care of yourself," he said with a sweet voice.

"Take care of yourself too," she replied, as she closed her phone.

Somehow something was running in Fate's mind that she just kept staring blankly infront of her for several minutes after she finished her conversation with Max.

"Fate? Fate . . . Are you all right?" Michael asked as he gently tapped her shoulder.

Instantly Fate snapped out of what she was thinking, and smiled at Michael.

"Let's go . . . We might end up being late, if we don't hurry," she said with a fake smile.

Michael just stared closely at his friend. He knew that something was bothering Fate . . . but he just decided to leave her alone.

Michael and Fate easily got into the new sports car that he had rented so to avoid the people that were after Fate. He figured that those people may already know what both their cars look like. So to avoid being tracked, he had ordered a new car that they can use.

He carefully drove the car out of the parking area of the hotel . . . The car's windows were all tinted. So they were safe from being recognized.

As their car passed by the groups of girls waiting outside the hotel . . . Fate curiously read the messages written on the banners the girls were holding . . . Her heart immediately ached and somehow she felt that it was thrown into the deepest part of the ocean.

"Fate you're a . You just seduced him. You don't deserve Max. You should just leave him alone. Just go back where you came from. You're not wanted here. Leave !"

Fate quickly turned her face to look at Michael. He was staring at her with concern in his eyes. She tried to smile at him, then just silently lowered her head. She thought she was strong to face anything . . . but she was wrong.