one

bananas (seulrene)

 

"Are you freaking serious?" Seulgi asked incredulously, refusing to believe she heard it right.

 

She and her friends were currently in her apartment living room, spending another Thursday night drinking their sanities away. Halfway through their third bottle of whatever it was and her losing streak in Jenga, she proposed that they play an improvised game of truth or dare next, which she now deeply regrets.

Seulgi was quite the prankster. She was the worst combination of luck and heartlessness that you would absolutely hate to be around during drinking games. That's why when the tip of the bottle stopped directly on her, not even an inch to the side, the room was in absolute chaos.

      
"Oh, you bet your that I am." Moonbyul grinned, satisfaction evident from seeing the misery in her best friend's face. More often than not, she was the one on the receiving end of what Seulgi considers her best ideas. Change is nice sometimes. 

"The reign of terror has finally ended!" Lisa gleefully shouts, shaking an already dizzy Joy by the collar who seemed to be five seconds away from throwing up. "Do you see this, Sooyoung? I'm actually crying." She wipes her nose with the back of her hand and smears it disgracefully all over the older girl's sleeves. "I'm getting my camera."

Lisa sprints to the bedroom, leaving the poor girl to plop down on the carpet, mumbling something incoherent as she hugs the now empty bottle of alcohol.

"Oh dear." Wendy grimaces, immediately attending to their discarded friend on the floor. She grabs Joy by her feet and drags her away from the couch before the over-enthusiastic blonde returns and does more damage.

  

It was all so comical, had it been another person awaiting embarrassment instead of her, Seulgi might've been the one running around and laughing her off seeing her friends in their current state. But it was her. And she was reminded of the situation when Moonbyul s an arm around her shoulders.

"It's simple. All you have to do is drive to the store and buy a banana and 20 condoms." She repeats the given dare, snickering as she pats Seulgi's head like a mother to her toddler. "You can even get yourself a can of pringles as a reward."
 

Seulgi groans. "What the hell are you even going to do with 20? We're all gay!"

 
Joy suddenly laughs out loud from behind the couch, startling everybody. "She said we're gay." She whisper shouts right before bursting into another fit of laughter and hitting Lisa hard on the shoulder.

 
They all look at Wendy as if waiting for an explanation. "She's just going through some stuff." She waves a hand at them dismissively and continues to drink from her glass. "Carry on."
 

Crackheads, Seulgi thought to herself. Absolute crackheads.

 
Moonbyul shakes her head and returns her attention to the matter at hand. "Doesn't really matter. We'll donate them. Give 'em to your brother or something."
 

"Gross."

 

"Whatever. We'll figure it out when you're done."

 
Seulgi groans once more in protest. She knows her friends aren't going to budge, but that doesn't mean she can't prolong her impending humiliation as much as she can.
  

"Come on, Seulgi. You've made us do things that are much much worse." Lisa reasons as she plops down next to the girl on the couch. "Remember that time when you dared me to only speak in animal sounds for a whole period? Professor Kim thought I was having a ."

A smile creeps up the brunette's face as she recalls the memory. They spent their free period drinking at the campus bar that day, forgetting that they had a graded recitation for the next class. So, when Lisa was called to answer, the four were on the edge of their seats up until the blonde shakily opened and let out a pathetic excuse for a moo. Professor Kim didn't know whether to send her to the dean's office or the clinic.

Wendy almost peed herself laughing that day.

 

Seulgi lets out a chuckle, looking at the hopeful grins on her friends' faces and finally gives in. "Fine." She breathes, brushing the dust off her lap and moves to stand. "Let's get this over with."

"Yes!" Moonbyul exclaims, sharing a celebratory high five with the blonde on the other side of the couch. "Bring your camera. We're definitely going to need it."

"Way ahead of you, boss." Lisa grins, patting her favorite accessory dangling around her neck. "This is going to be fun."
 

"I call shotgun!" Joy shouts from behind the kitchen counter this time, startling her friends once more. How she got there, they have no clue. They don't dwell on her actions that much anymore, Joy's like that sometimes.

 

--

 

"Oh my god."

 

"What?" Seulgi asks as they walk up to the convenience store after parking the car.

Wendy and Lisa were walking ahead while the three of them trailed behind.

Seulgi wasn't sure whether it was because of the fact that they abruptly stopped at the entrance or because Lisa had this mischievous glint in her eyes when the two turned to look at her, but she had a bad feeling about this.

Wendy was grinning from ear to ear when she faced her.

"Your crush is on duty." The girl announces. 

 

And with that, Seulgi's knees went weak.

 

"You've got to be kidding me." She quickly walks past the two and peeks inside.

True to Wendy's words, there she was, the most beautiful girl Seulgi had ever seen.

She had her hair tied up in a ponytail like always and the tip of her tongue sticking out in concentration as she stacks up a pile of apples by the counter. She also seemed to be the only staff around.

Great.

Seulgi had taken a liking to the girl when she first saw her in freshman year, struggling to open the double doors of the store because of the boxes she was carrying in her tiny arms. Seulgi rushed across the street to open the door and help the stranger out, but got the air knocked out of her lungs when their eyes met. Needless to say, she toppled over her own feet and hasn't been the same since.

 

She hadn't realized that she'd been staring until the girl turned to look at her direction, making her cower behind the wall, her heart beating like crazy.

"Nope. Let's go to the other store instead, I'm not making a fool out of myself in front of her." She sputters out as she moves to walk back to the car.
 

"Oh no you don't." Moonbyul quickly obstructs her path, gripping both sides of the ramp to keep her from running away. "This is your chance to finally get to talk to her."

  
Talk to her?

Just the idea of being near the girl gets her dizzy! She'd rather waste gas and drive the whole night to another city than buy what are widely known as heteroual contraceptives here in front of the girl of her dreams.

No thanks.
 

Seulgi flails her arms about like a kid having a tantrum. "She's going to think that I'm some kind of addict or something." She whines, making Joy snort.
 

"Maybe that's a good thing." Lisa wonders out loud, immediately regretting it when she saw the scowl on Seulgi's face directed at her. "I'm obviously kidding." She smiles apologetically and nudges Moonbyul forward.

The purple-haired girl glared at the blonde who only widened her eyes at her in reply. Moonbyul faces Seulgi again who looks like she's ready to sprint home at any minute now.

"Seul, baby bear," She cooes, inching closer and putting on the sweetest smile she could muster. "All you have to do is walk in there, buy the stuff, and go. Doesn't seem so bad, right?"
 

"Oh, it sure still does." Seulgi deflects. She crosses her arms against her chest and sits down Indian style on the concrete. "There's no way in hell that I'm going in there. And you can't make me." She says, her tone final. 

Moonbyul lets out an exasperated sigh. She had already anticipated this.

Her eyes travel from one friend to another and they all nodded in silent agreement to take matters into their own hands.

Lisa and Wendy were already holding the doors wide open while Joy and Moonbyul carefully advanced towards their victim. Seulgi had no time to react when two arms lifted her from the ground and charged her inside.

The two set her down with her back facing the exit, quickly fleeing the scene. By the time Seulgi had scrambled to her feet, her friends were already smiling at her outside with their hands firmly gripped on the handles, just in case she got any ideas.

She was about to stomp towards the glass doors and flip them off when a familiar voice greeted about ten feet away from her.

 

"Good evening."

 

She froze. Seulgi felt heat immediately rush up her cheeks.

It seemed that her blushing was unfortunately obvious because she caught a glimpse of a camera flash in front of her and she swears in her mind that she's going to strangle Lisa when she gets out.

She lets out a long defeated sigh and with one last scowl to the crackheads she call her friends, she turns on the heels of her shoes, bows her head, and walks toward the aisles, disappearing from view.