Can't write

Hedonism

In which Wendy can’t write anything, but wants to.

 

---

 

“GAH!”

 

Wendy slumped her head on her desk in frustration, creating a thudding noise which startled her roommate. It is currently 9 in the evening; she’s finally done with her homework, which means it’s time for her evening ritual- writing a nightly drabble to destress.

 

But, surprise, surprise. She can’t write tonight. Literally, not even a single word would come out of her pretty little head. The thought made her groan even louder, earning a weird look from Seulgi.

 

“Why in the world are you like a cat in heat? At 9 in the evening?” Seulgi asked while hitting Wendy in the head with her pillow. Wendy, however, didn’t even bother to avoid the lethal weapon. Instead, she accepted her fate, and that is to be a target practice for her annoyed roommate, as of the moment. Maybe the pillow will help in knocking some sense into her head, she thinks.

 

“Because! I can’t write anything! But I want to! Do you know how frustrating that is? Do you-”

 

At this point, Seulgi tuned out Wendy. She loves her bestfriend, really, but whenever Wendy jumpstarts her machine gun of a mouth, she’s able to go on and on for minutes, hours, even, which annoys Seulgi a bit. Seulgi remembers the incident wherein Wendy won’t shut up about her parents’ incessant nagging about her newly dyed hair. The blonde continued her venting, which can give the Titanic movie a run for its money for how long it took for her to finish her “speech”.

 

Silence.

 

Seulgi looked at the clock. A minute hasn’t even passed yet her roommate already stopped her ramblings. She looked back at Wendy, who is now deep in thought.

 

“Seul,” Wendy called for her attention with a serious tone.

 

Seulgi shuddered at how Wendy called her. Erm, for reasons she won’t say, for now.

 

“Seul, you’re my best friend, right?” Wendy made her way over to the couch where Seulgi is currently seating. They’re now face to face with each other, which made it easier for Seulgi to stare at her best friend without squinting her eyes in the dimly-lit room.

 

“Where is this going?” Seulgi asked, with worry written on her face.

 

“Don’t get creeped out, but,” Wendy started with a sigh, “I need you to kiss me. Like, on the lips.”

 

Seulgi malfunctioned.

 

“Um wha-”

 

Okay, maybe this is the perfect time to come clean about her growing crush with Wendy, her best friend for 7 years, and roommate for 4 months. 

 

It started 3 years into their friendship- she began to see Wendy as her definition of the ideal woman; intelligent, hard-working, and can bake her goodies (the third one is the most important!). At first, she didn’t pay much attention to it, for it was just a passing thought while studying for a Physics exam. But then the passing thought became a habitual one, and started to invade her mind more often in her daily life-- during lunch with Wendy, studying in the library with Wendy, even when she’s not with Wendy!

 

She tried to suppress it, but to no avail. And now, her little gay heart could only handle so much from the request of this woman who she’s falling in love with.

 

“It’s for research! For inspiration! Come on, hit me with your best shot.” Wendy said with a determined look, hands motioning for Seulgi to come closer. Seulgi’s heart started to hammer inside her own chest, palms began to sweat. She could swear that her ears were ringing, but the beating of her heart drowned out the noise.

 

And oh god, she’s about to burst. Seulgi clenched her fist. Not the word vomit please, not-

 

“Ican’t!Ihaveacrushonyousoitwouldbeunfaironyourpart!” Seulgi said without pausing for breath.

 

If Wendy can ramble for hours, then Seulgi can blurt out strings of words in just one breath. Each with their own way with words, she guesses.

 

And if Seulgi can tune out Wendy’s ranting as a coping mechanism (for her poor hearing’s sake), then Wendy can decipher whatever Seulgi has to say whenever she would use her “hidden talent”. They developed a weird way of understanding each other in the span of 7 years.

 

“You- you have a crush on me?” 

 

Seulgi can only swallow the lump in . Of course her best friend is accepting of gay people, she even knew that Seulgi is part of the community. But what Seulgi doesn’t know is how Wendy would react if she finds out about her feelings for her. She never even thought about confessing to the smaller girl. But there she was, with her chest still pounding and mind too shaken up to think of a response as results of what shouldn’t have happened.

 

“Seul, do you have a crush on me? Is that it?” 

 

Seulgi nodded. She has been caught red-handed, there’s no point in denying it.

 

She closed her eyes and mentally prayed to whatever god there is to save her from her current agony.

 

Even if it’s Satan, please just let me drop dead right here to escape from this earthly torment. May the pits of hell swallow me in order to avoid this conversation.

 

She opened her eyes a little, to check Wendy’s reaction. But upon peeking, she came face to face with Wendy, her best friend barely an inch away from her.

 

“Wha-” the only syllable that escaped her lips, since Wendy decided to cut her off.

 

“Then it’s all the more reason to kiss you, no?” Wendy said, with a sincere smile on her features.

 

“W-what do you mean?” Finally, she managed to utter a coherent sentence.

 

“Seul, I’m literally catching feelings for you. I guess you can say we’re on the same page.”

 

“Ha?”

 

Seulgi can’t comprehend what’s going on, thanks to the gay panic that’s bubbling in her chest. 

 

Wendy placed her hand on Seulgi’s face, as if knowing what the latter was thinking.

 

“Seul, don’t overthink.” Wendy stared at her, with admiration that she once thought was just a normal Wendy thing that she offers to everyone. Turns out, after what transpired tonight, it was only a look reserved for hers and hers alone.

 

“Just kiss me.” Wendy's voice dropped to a whisper.

 

Seulgi obliged. Their lips meet, chaste kisses turned into something more, something needier, deeper. She felt Wendy smile into the kiss. A few seconds later, Seulgi broke free from the exchange. She stared at Wendy, still smiling while staring at her.

 

She knew why, but she had to make sure.

 

“Why are you so smiley?” Seulgi asked with a grin forming on her face.

 

“Well,” Wendy took her hand and intertwined it with her own. “Now I have something to write about.” She teased.

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes. Wendy chuckled at her reaction.

 

“That, and I get to say that lucky I’m in love with my best friend line.” Wendy grinned.

 

Seulgi frowned, “I don’t like the sound of that.”

 

It was now Wendy’s turn to sport a frown of her own. “What? Why?”

 

“Because I want to call you my girlfriend.” Seulgi smirked. The gay panic from her chest passed, replaced by confidence that she didn’t know she had.

 

“Girlfriend?” 

 

“Yes, girlfriend. I mean you should be best friends with your partner, yes, but girlfriend sounds nice.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“My girlfriend.” Wendy beamed. “Yes, I like the sound of that.”

 

That night, Wendy ended up not writing anything; not because she’s uninspired, but because she’s too preoccupied in celebrating their first night together as girlfriends.

 

End.