Ch. 2

10,000 Hours

I couldn't believe it. I had four weeks left with my dearest, closest and only friend. I'm going to be alone. But, we decided to cherish every moment we had together. From doing our homework to going to the aquarium, feeding the sheep, dancing around the room to Seventeen, sleepovers even on school nights. It was our last bus ride together, but she wasn't going to school she was turning her keys in to the landlord. "We'll video chat, text, call as often as we can." "Of course." I was holding back tears.


She got off the bus and Jungkook came on. I put my bag purposely on the empty seat by the window. But it doesn't work. "Can I have a seat, please?" I move my bag and move by the window so he can sit. I take my earbuds and put them in my ears. I play Lonely by Sistar. "Don't you want to listen to something happier?" I hear Jungkook ask me. "Unlike me you didn't just lose your best friend." "Where is she moving to?" "Hong Kong." I don't know why I was so honest towards him. I shouldn't be talking to him. I mean what if Lisa caught us? Not that she rides the same bus. "That must be hard, but I'd rather be in Hong Kong than six feet under."

 

I was about to ask him what he meant by that, but we were already at school. He gets up, smiles at me and gestures for me to go first. I go ahead and make my way to school. Alone. But of course not until I heard Lisa. "Jungkook!" I would be lying if what Jungkook said on the bus didn't stick through my mind. It did. But me being alone with no one to sit next to was harder.

 

The school day went by too slow, but when it did I was eager to go to work. I was on the bus listening to Nicki Minaj. Super Bass was Sun-Hee's favorite song by her. Jungkook came on the bus, but I didn't pay him no mind. He tried to get my attention, but he was failing. 

 

I got off before he did and walked to work. I fed the sheep and cleaned up their messes and after washing my hands I helped with putting the cakes and breads into the display case. I took orders and sent them out to their tables. I heard the bell chime signaling the door was opened and I gasped. Not just because Hoseok was here on time, but because who came in behind him. 


Jungkook looked amazing even though he was in his school uniform and he was talking to two of his guy friends Park Jimin and Kim Taehyung. "Ji-eun?" I jumped at the sound of my name and see Hoseok smiling at me. "Are you proud of me? I showed up on time just for you." I smile. "That's great, Hoseok, but you also need to do it for yourself and your family. Thank you for coming in on time. Excuse me I have a table to attend to." A table I very much want to avoid. Even though I had given Hoseok attention it was undivided. I was also staring out the corner of my eye and saw that Jungkook and his friends were looking at me. I only spoken to those two boys twice and that was because both of them each asked to borrow a pencil. 

 

Hoseok could tell I looked uncomfortable and he asked if he could do the table. "No, it's okay." "I don't want my girl feeling uncomfortable." "It's fine." "No, I want you to feel comfortable in your own cafe help your idiot brother in the back I'll deal with them." "Are you sure?" He smiles and nods. I thank him and head towards the back where my brother was waiting and ready to rip Hoseok's head off. "Don't start, Min-Ho he saved me from a lifetime of embarrassment." "Why would it be a lifetime of embarrassment?" 

 


I shake my head and push past him to go into the kitchen. I wish I could tell my brother, but he wouldn't accept the fact that yes, I, too can fall in love. He thinks that since he got his heart broken that I'll get my heart broken. I was twisting the cheese stuffed pretzels and putting them in the oven when my father called out to me. "My daughter, there's a boy here asking for you." Min-Ho was pissed. "Who's asking for her because they will not get her!" I close my eyes and groan. "Dad, tell him I don't want to talk to him." "I already said that you'll be out. He's a handsome boy, too. I can tell he's the one you're destined to be with." 

 

I roll my eyes. "Ji-hoon, quit it." My mother says coming into the back. Her hair was covered in a bandana and she had sheep food in her hand. "You always say she's destined to be with someone. You said that about her and Hoseok just the other day!" I know that it's wrong what I'm about to do. It'll make me look bad in the end and I'll hurt him in the end. But I have to do it. 

 

I push past them with my parents asking what I'm doing. I ignore the doors open behind me as they led into the dining area. Hoseok had just finished making someone coffee and gave it to them. "He still wants to talk to you. I told him and his friends that you weren't interested, but he kept saying that he needed to talk to you." 

 

I feel horrible, but I don't want any trouble at school. Being called the witch with a 'b' is bad enough. I gently take Hoseok by the hands and I could sense Jungkook and his friends were looking. "I'll give you a chance." I tell him. Hoseok wasn't the smartest so it didn't surprise me when he gave a look of confusion. "I'll go out on a date with you." Hoseok squeals like a birthing pig and picks me up and twirls me around. I could tell Jungkook was hurt, but I had to act like I don't care. I smile at Hoseok and he puts me down. "I promise I won't break your heart and I'll work harder to be smarter and more responsible." I smile. "I believe you."

 

"Please for the love of all the holes in Swiss cheese tell me that that's not true?" I was on FaceTime with Sun-Hee and I told her what happened. "It's true. I'm terrified, Sun-Hee. I mean I've done so well through my school years to be pretty much invisible and now I bump into him and now I had his girlfriend call me the b-word. I know I'll hurt Hoseok in the end and I'm being completely self-centered, but I need to stay in my bubble." "No," Sun-Hee says shaking her head. "No, you're not going to stay in your bubble. You're going to make new friends and you're going to get the guy of your dreams. You're not going to keep hiding. Got it?" "But I already told him I would go out with him." "Then do so, but don't do a one-on-one thing, make it a double date. And when they say yes. Look unbelievably hot!" "Why would I do that?" "Because it's to make him want you." "I turned him down. Why would I make him want me?" "Well, you are using Hoseok to play hard to get, aren't you?" I shake my head. "I'm using him so I can get it through Jungkook's brain that we can't be seen talking to each other." "Well, you're making him jealous." "How do you know that?" "I hacked into his text messages." "Sun-Hee!"

 

One thing I can say she is good at hacking. She at school, but she's good at doing something illegal. "What, do you want to read them?" I shake my head. "No, it's not my business. I'm going to do this my way." "Okay, there here if you want them." "I've got homework." "Love you." "Love you, too." 

 

I grab my pillow and I scream into it. Why does my life that I had found to be so easy is now becoming more difficult? I logged into the school blog which is something I hardly ever do and I messaged Jungkook. I know he checks it and he was on it now.


Want to go on a double date with me and Hoseok this weekend?

 

I didn't think with the way I treated him this way he would respond. But he did.


Let me ask Lisa.

 

I typed okay. Hopefully she'll say no. But she's the type of person that likes to claim territory and will most likely say yes. And when I got the message back it was one I was hoping I wouldn't get.