Safer to be Held by You

Safer to be Held by You

It is a frustrating feeling, to have your eyes fluttered so lightly closed but to feel wide awake. To be desperate to drift off to sleep but to know that you could very easily sit bolt upright in bed and then saunter over to your desk and get some work done. 

 

And for Min Yoongi, the nagging temptation to get work done instead of just lying there and waiting for sleep to come, was adding to his inability to just doze off at half one in the morning. 

 

It wasn’t even terribly late, but if he wasn’t going to fall asleep anytime soon, then he was just wasting time lying here and he’d probably end up falling asleep so late that he’d be doomed to wake up late and get less work done in the day. These thoughts prodded at his temples and made his body itch with restlessness, until he just couldn’t take it anymore and he turned to consulting the Bangtan group chat, to see who was still online. Maybe he could get Namjoon to go off on a tangent about the history of some foreign country, or the plot of whichever series he was watching, until he fell asleep out of boredom. Or maybe Taehyung could recommend him a podcast; Taehyung usually fell asleep listening to those whenever he didn’t have a big enough pillow to hug to help him sleep sufficiently quickly. 

 

The glow of his phone in the pitch black room made him squint and almost audibly hiss, but he swiftly slid the brightness down with a pout before tapping the ‘info’ button to check the status of the chat members. 

 

 

 

PD BANG - Offline. (Well, he would have hoped that their producer was smarter than Yoongi tonight and was getting a good night’s sleep to be on the ball tomorrow afternoon for their recording session.) 

 

KIM SEOKJIN - Offline. (Of course. Seokjin went to bed at reasonable times lately. So responsible. Even if it was so that he could get up early and play games before practice.)

 

KIM NAMJOON - Offline. (Well, out the window went Yoongi’s plans of being sent to sleep by a long philosophical spiel by his leader.)

 

JUNG HOSEOK - Offline. (Another responsible member. How boring for Yoongi.)

 

PARK JIMIN - Online (last active 3 mins ago). (Okay, they had just been spending the last few months begging Jimin to go to sleep early so that he’d not be so sleepy in the mornings and get ready sooner, so now that he’d just gone offline, it wouldn’t be fair for Yoongi to message him.)

 

KIM TAEHYUNG - Online. (But probably only awake to play games with ARMY… maybe Yoongi shouldn’t disturb him.)


 

The only other member with that little green icon next to his name to indicate that he was still online was Jungkook, and Yoongi was just about to tap his name when a notification popped up from the top of his screen. 


Direct Message
Jeon Jungkook - Hyung, you’re awake too?

 

With a curious smirk, Yoongi tapped the notification and typed out, “You're up too, huh?”. Cute. Jungkook must also have been checking who was online. The second Yoongi pressed send, the icon to indicate that Jungkook was typing materialised onscreen, followed almost immediately by another direct message. 

 

Jeon Jungkook - Hyung I really can’t sleep and I’m bored. Can we watch that film you were begging me to watch?

 

Oh - Yoongi had spent the last month begging for Jungkook to watch this incredible documentary about the origins of rap, to no avail. Jungkook always complained that it was too long and he wouldn’t be able to sit still for it. Sure, it was criminally long, and perhaps 1:32 am was a stupid time to commence watching a film, but… this may have been the only time that Jungkook would actually agree to watching a film that Yoongi had recommended - he’d be a fool to just say no right now. So, Yoongi typed out and sent his smug reply.  

 

Min Yoongi - Aw, bun actually wants to watch the docu with hyung? I’d be honoured - your room or mine?

 

Just as quickly as he’d typed out his other messages, Jungkook sent another: 

 

Jeon Jungkook - I think it’d really help me fall asleep. 

 

That punk - wow, he’d even ended it with the snoring face emoji. The one with all the Z’s floating to the side of the emoji’s face. 

Jeon Jungkook - my room please! I’ve got more plushies it’s comfier. 

 

Yoongi stuck his tongue into the corner of his mouth in awe at the gall of this kid. Jungkook really thought he could get away with dissing Yoongi’s film taste and his room decor… well, in all honesty, he could. Yoongi had already hauled himself out of bed and grabbed his long peach-coloured pillow, which he tucked under his arm and exited his room. Even though ‘cosy’ wasn’t the word of choice that Yoongi would use to describe the cramped closet-like room that Jungkook slept in. 

 

The room in question was just down the wide hallway, the furthest from the kitchen. After tapping the back of his hand against the polished black door, Yoongi heard an “oh?” sound followed by a considerable amount of rustling. Was Jungkook even ready to hang out? Yoongi hadn’t just wasted time carrying his pillow to Jungkook’s room for a joke, right...

 

“Hyung? Come in.” Jungkook called from inside, and Yoongi opened the door to - pillow heaven, apparently. 

 

Jungkook’s room always seemed the smallest, an illusion created by the fact that its floor space was taken up by a large desk (on which 3 computer monitors stood), a bulky gaming chair, a tripod and an exercise bike. The room wasn’t even messy; it was just bursting with everything that Jungkook needed. 

 

But now, it felt small in a cosy way, as opposed to a cramped way. At the end of Jungkook’s bed, which was relegated to standing against the wall, out of the way (really, this was more of a study or a cupboard than a bedroom), was a new flatscreen television mounted against the wall. Jungkook had kept this flashy purchase quiet. 

 

And atop his bed, were so many character plushies and cutely-shaped pillows that Jungkook was lying more on them than on his actual duvet. There were black car-shaped pillows, as well as pink cupcake-shaped ones, and of course at least 3 plushies for each BT21 character. Specifically, Jungkook was cradling a large Shooky one, his arm around it and his other hand propping his head up as he leant on his elbow. Gosh, it was like he was posing for Yoongi. No wonder there was so much rustling before he let Yoongi enter. Yoongi wondered if it was a conscious choice by Jungkook to specifically be cuddling the plush of Yoongi’s own character, as a way of making his hyung go soft for him. 

 

“So, when we told you to make your room comfier for yourself to aid sleeping, meaning we just wanted you to invest in a pillow at least… you went all out.” Yoongi nodded. It was quite an assault on the eyes, the amount of colours that were present in the room that usually only had black furniture, grey walls and silver equipment. 

 

Jungkook grinned. “Do you like my TV setup?”

 

Yoongi rolled his eyes, but the smile didn’t resist from appearing on his face. 

 

“Your attempts to get me down here to show off your new TV are gonna backfire when you find out I’m not going anywhere til we finish watching the film, like you promised.”

 

Jungkook giggled his sweet, melodic giggle, before his face dropped. “Of course we’re gonna watch the film. But hyung, aren’t you gonna come and sit down?”

 

Yoongi glanced down from Jungkook’s gaze to consider the amount of plushies littering his bed, and didn’t budge as he merely pursed his lips expectantly. Jungkook’s eyes widened in realisation, and he immediately repositioned himself, scooping up the plushies in his arms to shove them further down the bed in an avalanche, like a puppy digging a hole in a garden. Once he was no longer blocked by plushies, he pulled the duvet up and clambered under it, gesturing for Yoongi to follow him. Yoongi tutted fondly, and walked over to slip under the duvet, placing his own pillow between him and Jungkook so that the two boys could lean on it between their bodies, with their backs propped up against the wooden slab that made up the head of Jungkook’s bedframe. The underside of the duvet was warm from Jungkook’s previous body heat, and it comforted Yoongi in a palpable way. 

 

“Okay, I’ve got Netflix on this TV so…” Jungkook pressed a couple of buttons super quickly, and before Yoongi knew it, his dream was coming true and the first shot of the film faded onto the screen. 

 

Yoongi squinted - Jungkook had typed out the name of the film without even asking what it was. He actually remembered it, even though Yoongi was the only one who’d ever referred to it by name before, and Jungkook had spent the last few months referring to it as simply “hyung’s boring rap thing”. He even knew that it was on Netflix, even though Yoongi didn’t remember informing him of that. Yoongi wasn’t sure why, but he felt a little twinge in his stomach at that fact. 

 

For the first 10 minutes or so of the documentary, Jungkook was fidgety. He kept shifting his posture and weight against the pillow, and when he wasn’t doing that, he was rubbing one hand over his arm, gathering up the material of the sleeve of his hoody between his fingers. He couldn’t keep still. Even his facial expressions fluctuated between puffs of his cheeks and a biting of his lip. 

 

Yoongi sighed. “Hey, we don’t have to watch this if you’re bored.” He tried his best to soften his voice into a tone of sincerity, and not annoyance. Because he wasn’t annoyed - he wasn’t even expecting Jungkook to offer to watch this film, let alone sit through it right to the end credits. 

 

At Yoongi’s interruption, Jungkook suddenly raised his gaze from his arm and looked up at Yoongi with big, surprised eyes. Like a kid who’s just been caught sneaking food in class. 

 

“Ah- m’sorry, hyung. I… I’ll pay better attention.” Jungkook apologised through a lisped mumble, and stared back at the television with an adorable look of determined concentration fixed onto his face. 

 

“Jungkook… is something on your mind?” Yoongi decided to ask. He knew that it was normal for Jungkook to get a bit bored during films like this, but he could sense something else. A little bit of a tremor behind Jungkook’s eyes when Yoongi suddenly spoke, as well as the generally distracted manner with which he ran his fingers over his hoody sleeve. 

 

“Mmm…” Jungkook hummed non-committedly and lowered his head, nuzzling it against the pillow that sat between him and Yoongi. He stared up at Yoongi, a look of expectation on his tired face hooded behind dark eyelashes. 

 

Yoongi knew that look. That look that said, “I’m not gonna tell you what’s wrong, so hyung has to figure out how to comfort me himself.” 

 

Without an inkling of anywhere else to start, Yoongi reached out a hand, and rested it on Jungkook’s soft sleeve. As he rubbed it with his thumb, a thought occurred to him. 

 

“Is it… about your tattoos here, or something?” Yoongi asked, aware that the place his hand was now resting, where Jungkook had previously been fidgeting, was just atop his tiger lily tattoo. 

 

“No, it’s just stupid stuff-”

 

“Jungkook.” Yoongi firmly halted him. The word ‘stupid’ shouldn’t be applied to any worries in Yoong’s book, and certainly not ones that concerned Jungkook. “Tell hyung what’s wrong, it’s okay.” 

 

“I don’t really know, it’s just. A lot of little things crowded together, I guess?” Jungkook murmured in hesitation. “Like, I see ARMY wanting me to post more, or release solos, and I just worry that I’m taking too long, and I’m generally worried about uploading it too late when they’ve stopped waiting, or it not being quite right. I don’t know.”

 

Yoongi waited for Jungkook to return his gaze right back at him, to indicate that he’d definitely finished talking, before he nodded. 

 

“Jungkook-ah.” Yoongi soothed, and ran his hand up Jungkook’s arm to finally settle in Jungkook’s hair, freshly permed and a bit flyaway, although admittedly the messy curls were perfect to twirl his fingers into. Jungkook flinched at the touch, and Yoongi went to recoil his hand, believing he’d startled the boy. 

 

“No- keep your hand there.” Jungkook let out a little whine, then cleared his throat, seemingly surprised by his own cracked voice. “I- it feels… safe.”

 

Yoongi’s heart keened at the shy admission from his maknae. “As in, when I play with your hair like this?” He outstretched his fingers in a carefully slow motion, running them across the thick strands at the back of Jungkook’s head, his wrist brushing against Jungkook’s nape. 

 

“I. Yeah. Sorry.” Jungkook mumbled. “I… I think I just wanna be held by hyung right now.” His eyes fluttered closed at his enjoyment of the calming sensation of his hyung’s fingers in his hair, which juxtaposed quite hilariously with how a rush of red filled his face, until even the tips of his ears were blushing. 

 

Yoongi enjoyed how adorably cosy Jungkook looked right now, but he grumbled at the feeling that something was missing. His arm was stretched slightly too much to reach Jungkook’s nape. Jungkook felt slightly too far away from him. The darn pillow in-between them was blocking a quarter of Jungkook’s face - too much of his face, in Yoongi’s opinion. He didn’t want to move his hand away from Jungkook’s head for a moment, but he very quickly did so to shove the chunky pillow away, right before he closed the new space between them by pulling Jungkook close by his waist. 

 

Jungkook let out a short surprised grunt at Yoongi’s sudden movements, but that expression quickly morphed into one of contentment as his eyebrows slanted, his lips curved into a heart-shaped smile and he hid his face in Yoongi’s black jumper. His jumper was thin enough that he felt Jungkook’s jawline against his chest, and he keened as he rested his chin atop Jungkook’s head and returned his hand to hold a limp fistful of Jungkook’s curls. 

 

Jungkook’s body was warm against Yoongi’s, and he fit so nicely against Yoongi’s chest, like puzzle pieces made to be slotted together. His hands rested softly against Yoongi’s abdomen, not pressing too hard but with a light pressure that Yoongi thought reassured him just as much as Jungkook felt reassured. It was good to feel Jungkook’s touch, soft yet firm against him. Yoongi’s other hand traced barely-there circles against Jungkook’s waist, and although his hand was trapped under Jungkook’s body, the curve of Jungkook’s tiny waist made it easy for Yoongi’s hand to just. Sit there. He was comfy. 

 

“Jungkook…” Yoongi’s hand dropped down from Jungkook’s nape to run it down his back, and settle at his waist. Jungkook snuggled into Yoongi at the feeling, responding to Yoongi’s of his back. “You know, you’re incredibly talented. Everything you touch turns to gold, and so will your mixtape. So, don’t work yourself up into a worry, okay? If you approach it calmly, it’ll just naturally be good and, most importantly, enjoyable for you. Yeah?”

 

It was then that Jungkook’s body began to shake just a little, like a tremble, and Yoongi pulled away just enough to look into his eyes, ready to assure him that it was okay, that hyung’s got him, that - oh. 

 

Jungkook was just. Giggling silently. His eyes were in little closed crescents and his bunny teeth showed as he gave such a big smile. 

 

“Ahh, I thought you were crying or something-” Yoongi grumbled, and stubbornly pulled Jungkook back into his embrace, clenching the material of Jungkook’s hoody in fond annoyance. 

 

“Sorry hyung!” Jungkook muffled an apology against Yoongi’s chest which he was once again pushed against. “Your voice was making your chest vibrate against my head - it tickled!” 

 

Yoongi tutted against Jungkook's forehead, but let out a deep "aaaaah" sound just to hear Jungkook giggle at the vibrations again before he decided to stop letting the maknae . Now, he simply wanted to continue feeling Jungkook snuggle against him some more. 

 

Lingering moments became long minutes which probably became hours, because Yoongi's eyes suddenly became heavy as he opened them to see that the room around them had gone from dark to just dim to welcome the sunrise. 

 

Oh, they must have fallen asleep holding each other - what a beautiful end to a restless evening. He shifted his weight down so that his face was level with Jungkook's, to see that Jungkook was completely out of it. His cheek was resting against Yoongi's arm so that it was squashed, making his lips jut out into an adorable unconscious pout. He almost looked as though he was frowning, with his eyebrows narrowed and his lips pouting like that. 

 

With Yoongi’s free hand (which wasn’t the one at the end of his arm which was currently being used as a pillow for Jungkook’s sleepy, puffy face), he found himself being pulled to gently Jungkook’s cheek with the back of his hand. Jungkook just looked so… so soft and pretty and his bunny teeth were poking out from his pout and it took a lot for Yoongi to not coo out loud at the maknae, for fear of forcing him out of his comfortable and deserved rest. 

 

Yoongi’s hand turned, and he traced his fingers across Jungkook’s jawline before turning his course down his neck. He smiled fondly at how Jungkook twitched at the sensation, before he slid his hand under Jungkook’s arm to hold him at his back. He could feel Jungkook’s heavy breath close to his face, and his hands at Jungkook’s torso felt his body as he breathed. 

 

The moments that followed, where Yoongi just held Jungkook with the thought of never letting him go, were savoured by Yoongi. Nevertheless, Yoongi felt his heart bloom with fondness when he saw Jungkook’s nose twitch, his eyelashes flicker open, and his face soften into drowsy consciousness. 

 

“Hyung-” Jungkook mumbled with a tired little grunt, and nuzzled his face into the pillow below him. “What time is it…”

 

Yoongi pulled his arm free from Jungkook’s, and to his back to examine the digital bedside clock which displayed the time: “05:58” in a red glow. They’d have to head to the studio in an hour to record their new single, and they were yet to have breakfast… After the restless and anxious night they’d both had, Yoongi had an urge to busy himself and grill some toast for Jungkook. Maybe chop some bananas for a topping. Or a “collaboration”, as Jungkook would call it. 

 

With a fond chuckle, Yoongi pulled his other arm from underneath Jungkook’s heavy body and sat up in the bed, but he was halted by a weak clasping of Jungkook’s hand around his wrist. 

 

“Where’s hyung going?” Jungkook whined as he rubbed at his eyes with his free hand. 

 

Now that he didn’t have to worry about waking Jungkook up, Yoongi was free to audibly coo at his maknae, and he the curls of Jungkook’s head as he shushed him. 

 

“I’m gonna get you some breakfast, is that okay?” 

 

Jungkook’s pout at Yoongi’s generous offer would have annoyed him were he not so whipped for how adorable Jungkook was. Jungkook shook his head, and the hand that was still grabbing Yoongi’s wrist, and continued to whine. 

 

“Can’t you stay in bed? Want hyung to hold me some more.” 

 

Well, there went Yoongi’s plans to leave that room. He couldn’t possibly, not when Jungkook was being so clingy and cute. 

 

Yoongi muffled something about asking one of the other members to bring them breakfast, as he tapped away at Jungkook’s phone to send a message to the Bangtan group chat asking for food, before quickly dropping the phone and dropping to lie next to Jungkook again. 

 

Jungkook’s hands went straight to the neck of Yoongi’s shirt, and he pulled Yoongi close with a content hum. Yoongi’s eyes closed easily at the comforting feeling of Jungkook’s touch, and his face nestled into Yoongi’s neck. 

 

“Comfy.” Jungkook whispered, his voice coming out in a warm breath against Yoongi’s neck, and Yoongi chuckled as he rested his arms around Jungkook’s waist and, simultaneously with Jungkook, entangled their legs together. 

 

Lying with Jungkook had a way of clearing Yoongi’s head of most other thoughts, but one did occur to him. He brought one hand up to cradle Jungkook’s head, his fingers getting lost in Jungkook’s curls which were messy from sleep, as he spoke. 

 

“So… if you’re comfy here with me, do you wanna maybe try watching hyung’s boring rap documentary tonight?”

 

Jungkook scoffed against Yoongi’s neck, but didn’t move an inch past that in protest. 

 

Except for the way in which he moved one hand from Yoongi’s chest, to wrap around Yoongi’s neck and pull him even closer. 

 

Maybe lying awake in bed, unable to sleep, wasn’t so bad.