Chapter 1

Disenchanted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You are not going to believe what I’m about to tell you,” Rachel moaned as she slid into the car. “I was so angry, I couldn’t even call you last night to complain.”

Eun-sang shook her head. “I’m sure it’s not that bad. Should we wait so you can share with Bo-na?”

Rachel made a face. “No, she’s going to school with Chan-young today. Serves her right for ditching us for her boyfriend.”

It had become tradition, after all, for the girls to ride to school together in the mornings. Cha Eun-sang’s mansion was the furthest, so she always picked up the other two girls on their way to school. It was habit, after so many years of them being friends, to arrive together. Now that Lee Bo-na had left them to themselves, it felt like a betrayal - no matter how much they approved of her relationship with Chan-young.

As they neared campus, the neighborhood Rachel lived in disappeared as the more crowded areas of the city flew by in the window. Living in a mansion did have its perks, but a downside was the sheer amount of time it always took to get to school in the mornings.

“Mother’s getting remarried!” Rachel burst out, unable to hold the news in any longer. Eun-sang shot her friend a look of sympathy. Her parents had divorced not too long ago, and the long, difficult process had been hard on the heiress as well.

“How is the father-to-be, then?” she asked.

The other girl only scoffed. “You’ve met him before. The CEO of Zeus Hotels.” Both couldn’t help but shiver in unison. “He’s intimidating as hell. And we’re going to have to move in with him!”

The car was silent as it sped through the city. As it passed through the gates of Jeguk High School, Eun-sang finally commented, “It will be really good for RS International, at least. Your stocks are going to skyrocket after the press conference.”

The heiress rolled her eyes. “The profit that RS International will gain is incomparable to the torture I’ll have to endure.” The vehicle rolled to a stop, and both girls smoothed their hands over their uniforms to flatten any creases before gracefully stepping out of the car. “I mean, being related to Choi Young-do! What sin did I commit to end up like this?”

Choi Young-do. Eun-sang tuned out Rachel’s rambling as she pondered over the name. It wasn’t one she recognized, but it felt as if she should know who it was. She was not one for caring about connections or faces - in their world, everyone had money and power, with the beauty to match. She only held those dear to her close to her heart. If she memorized every single student’s name and face, along with their company, annual sales, and stock prices, she’d be unable to function properly.

Making their way into the building and through the halls, both girls straightened as the whispering of the other students, as usual, started up.

Did you see RS International’s fall line? It’s so cute, Yoo Rachel was modeling it in-

Cha Eun-sang’s skin is so smooth! What products does she-

Midterms are coming up, Yoo Rachel and Cha Eun-sang will be in the top five for sure-

“Eun-sang-ah!”

Both girls turned at the sound of the name being called. The Chairwoman of Jeguk High made her way to the two, smiling as she did so.

“Rachel, you’re looking more beautiful every time I see you!” Said girl smiled at the compliment and bowed her head. “Eun-sang, thank you for setting a good example for students and coming so early to school. The housekeeper informed me you already left when I was eating breakfast!”

“Yes, Mother, Rachel’s house is in a different direction than the school and Bo Na’s is as well,” Eun-sang replied with a polite smile on her face. “I have to leave early so that both of them will be on time.”

“Well, you left so early that I didn’t have the chance to tell you at home. Won is coming back from California today; there was an emergency at the company that required his presence in Korea.” The Chairwoman’s own polite smile was strained at best. “I’m sure he’ll be done by afternoon, though. He personally told me that he wanted you to drop by the Jeguk Group building after your classes.”

“Thank you, Mother,” Eun-sang said, nodding her head. The Chairwoman flashed one more smile before walking away; the students who had been silently watching burst into whispers once more. As soon as she turned the corner, Eun-sang’s polite countenance dropped completely as she forcefully opened her locker.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter