Family time

Compensate

 

Greens, luscious green plants and shrubs, colourful flowers in full bloom. The tall trees create shade on the road keeping it cool and hidden from the harsh sunlight. We pass by vast of detached houses. Each one is bigger and more elaborate than the one before. 

 

Tzuyu turned to the right into the driveway of a two-story modern rustic house with glass all over, letting the passers-by from outside see the many frames and sculptures decorating the inside. 

 

We entered through the large brown double doors and into the foyer where a spiralling chandelier hung from the ceiling which directly leads to the living room. Wood and stones made up the walls and flooring of the house. The bright sun and the amazing view of the lake were let in through the glass doors at the other end of the room. Odd-looking art pieces could be seen on every tabletop and shelf.

 

”I’m home!”

 

My voice echoed through the quiet space letting the residents know of our presence. Saying those two words out loud while standing the middle of the house I grew up in kind of made me emotional, not gonna lie. The oh-so-familiar scent and feel in the atmosphere welcomed me back as if no time has passed since I walked out the doors with my suitcase in tow no more than three years ago. 

 

”In the kitchen darling!” 

 

I heard my mother’s delicate voice coming from our left with soft music in the background. Mina and Sana tried their best to fight off the drowsiness before we could get to where my mother is. 

 

for them they played Resident Evil 7 on Tzuyu’s PlayStation last night. Sana played for the horror while Mina played just for the sake of playing. Both were having fun until Tzuyu tried to give Sana a heart attack by scaring her at the exact moment Mia was crawling up the stairs from the basement. 

 

Let’s just say a certain Shiba inu resembling girl hasn’t been talking to the now sulking tall squirrel who’s been apologising nonstop since the night before. 

 

”Good morning girls, I hope you slept well. Please don’t be shy, help yourself with anything there. You can eat outside if you want.”

 

My mother just finished up cooking what looked like a buffet with a variety of food laid out on the table. Gamjajeon, gimbap, omurice, salmon, croissants, Dan bing, xiao long bao, steamed eggs, and many other dishes I can’t name filled the dining table.

 

”As well as I can without my dog because even he was upset with me.” 

 

Tzuyu didn’t hesitate to take every kind of bread and a handful of baos on her way through the glass doors and into the patio. Mina and I snickered at Sana’s faltering poker face as she watched Tzuyu stomp her feet like a kid being called on timeout. 

 

Sana took a plate full of whatever before following Tzuyu outside coaxing the taller girl. 

 

”Trouble in paradise for those two?”

 

I chuckled at my mother’s question, ”Something like that” as I gave Mina a plate to use. 

 

”I’ll try and wake your brother. I’ll be right back.”

 

”No wait mom, ” I called out to my mother before she could leave the room. ”I’ll do it.” A mischievous smile appeared on my face as a plan emerged from my head. 

 

What better way to wake an unsuspecting brother than with a bucket of cold water. I quietly tiptoed into his room, being very careful not to make a sound. I peeked inside and saw that he was peacefully covered in his blanket. 

 

Alright time to engage

 

I crept into his room when I was sure he wasn’t waking up, I hoisted the bucket up above my head and dumped the contents. 

 

”What the !”

 

Success

 

My stomach hurts from laughing so hard at Jeonghoon’s fuming face. ”Get up stupid. You’re sister’s here and you’re still sleeping. Don't you miss me, baby bro?”

 

I went to the foot of his bed and yanked his covers off. What I saw when I did will surely haunt me for eternity. 

 

”I don’t even wanna know”

 

I walked out of his room rubbing my eyes to try and get rid of the horrid image. I was left dazed and confused by what I saw as I got back to the kitchen. 

 

”You okay?” 

 

I sat beside Mina by the counter with a plate of only gimbap and a mug of coffee. 

 

”You’re father’s a surgeon right? Can he operate on my brain to take out a memory?”

 

Mina looked at me weirdly. I mean who wouldn’t. 

 

”Why what happened?” 

 

”Noona” ”Chaeyoungie”

 

In strolled Jeonghoon and Somi calling out to me at the same time. I ignored them and drank my coffee instead. 

 

”Oh wow” 

 

I hummed to Mina’s reaction. Wow is right. Wow is the only thing you can say when you see your younger brother in bed with your childhood friend who you used to kinda date.

 

”Eat, the two of you. You must be famished.” 

 

They both didn’t try to talk to me further. They took their food and ate in the living room.

 

”Oh I didn’t know Somi was here.” Mom walked in from the patio.

 

I settled my mug down and turned to her. ”Since when did that happen?” 

 

”What happened? Jeonghoon and Somi?” I nodded ”Not long, a few months now give or take.” 

 

”Huh”

 

I finished my food and waited for Mina to finish hers. ”Do you want to go up to my room?” 

 

Mina chocked on her last bite of the croissant,  ”What?” turning red either from the lack of oxygen or the blood rushing to her cheeks. 

 

I smiled, ”Not like that” 

 

”Oh okay,” said Mina, a hint of dismay laced the tone of her voice. 

 

We passed by the surprising couple on our way to the stairs. They tried to call out to me again but I still ignored them. It’s not that I’m mad at them. It’s just, the image man.  I can’t face them without IT popping into my head. 

 

”You have a hammock in your room.” 

 

”Yes, I have a hammock in my room.”

 

A black fringe hammock was hung by my bedroom window beside the easel I had in here. Mina laid down on it making the object swing. 

 

”Sometimes if I’m too lazy to walk a few more steps from the easel to my bed I would just sleep there for the night.” 

 

Mina’s eyes were closed as she swung on the levitating bed. 

 

”My dad built that for me because I wanted one when I saw it in my grandparents’ house.” 

 

Mina opened her eyes and carefully sat up, ”Speaking of, ” her voice trailed off suggesting something. 

 

”I’m not sure.” 

 

She got off the hammock and sat beside me on the bed. ”I’ll go with you.” 

 

I stared at her, looking into her eyes, pleading not to go, but all I saw were two chocolate irises staring back at me with the utmost admiration. It’s encouraging, urging me to do what she says.

 

”Okay”

 

We’re now in the garage deciding what to ride on the way to visit my dad. 

 

”How do you feel about motorcycles?” 

 

My 18th birthday present, a custom Ducati Scrambler sat covered at the back of the garage. I never really got to use it since I already moved to Melbourne not long after I got it. 

 

”You own a motorcycle?”

 

I uncovered my baby to unveil it’s beauty to the word. She was matte black all throughout even the leather seats. 

 

”Tada!” 

 

Mina shook her giggling ”You keep surprising me everyday Son Chaeyoung.” 

 

”So is that a yes? Cause I’ve been waiting to ride this since forever.”

 

”Pass me a helmet.” 

 

Alright! This should be fun. 

 

 

------------

 

 

This is not fun.

 

I had my arms wrapped tightly around Chaeyoung’s sylphlike waist as we raised through the neighbourhood. The shade created by the trees over us made the breeze cooler. My heart is beating as fast as we were going. 

 

After a few minutes of adrenaline rushing through my body, Chaeyoung finally slowed down as we approached the cemetery. She didn’t rev the engine up again as we passed the gate, rather she went slower and slower. She seemed to be hesitant, so I pried one of my arms from her waist and held her hand on the handlebars. 

 

I felt her stiffen from the sudden touch but relaxed after. She sped up again to take us to our destination quicker. 

 

Chaeyoung parked the motorcycle under an oak tree to keep it away from the sun. I silently followed her through the field. We stopped at a grave with a black tombstone marking it, the epitaph written in gold.

 

 Chaeyoung just stood there staring, slightly shuffling on her feet. 

 

”The Scrambler’s a beast dad, I would have for sure beaten you in a race.” She chuckled lightly while playing with her fingers.

 

”I got to participate in an exhibit that the museum will be touring around the county.” There was a pause ”That’s mainly the reason why I got to fly back.” 

 

I heard Chaeyoung sniffle, ”I apologize that it took an obligation for me to be able to visit you, ” She huffed and looked up at the sky ”and the fact that I wasn’t really planning to.” She bowed her head down again ”I’m sorry dad.” 

 

Chaeyoung hugged her arm around herself falling to her knees. I acted quick, holding her by the shoulders. 

 

mian haeyo appa, mian hae

 

She rocked on her knees, shaking from how hard she’s crying. I took her into my arms, leaning her head on my shoulders. We stayed like that for a few minutes. Chaeyoung endlessly apologizing to her father. 

 

I didn’t know what to do or say, so I kept my mouth shut. This whole thing just hits too close to home. The crying, the apologizing to the deceased parent, I’ve been there. I’m very much familiar with the pain. Seeing Chaeyoung this broken may actually be on par with that feeling. 

 

This is why I need to finish what I started. I need to get that degree. I need to do it for my mom.

 

The girl in my hold was now silent, her breathing even. ”Are you okay now?” 

 

Chaeyoung nodded, wiping the tears off from her face. ”I’m sorry you had to see that.” 

 

”Stop apologising.”

 

Chaeyoung stood up and helped me to get up as well, pulling me into a hug once I did. ”Thank you” She buried her face on the crook of my neck. Mumbling thank you’s against my skin.

 

I giggled, ”That tickles Chaengie”

 

She gave me her best smile as she pulled away. 

 

”This is Mina, by the way, appa. She’s a really nice friend I met in Melbourne.” 

 

”I’ll take care of your little girl sir, don’t worry.” 

 

Chaeyoung had a faint smile playing on her lips. I held her stare until she shook her head and looked anywhere but to me. 

 

”We should head back now. I didn’t tell mom we’d be coming here.” 

 

We rode the death machine again. Chaeyoungg revving the engine harder the before. We were back at there house in less than 10 minutes. 

 

”Where have you been? I need to get back to the city before Jihyo comes down here to chop my head off.” 

 

Tzuyu’s whining is what greeted as we entered the living room. It looks like she’s on good terms with Sana now because the hamster is all over her again. 

 

”We’ll head out now then. I’ll just talk to my mom. Where is she?” 

 

”In the kitchen”

 

Chaeyoung was on her way to the kitchen when Somi stopped her by blocking her way. 

 

”I’m not mad okay. I’m happy for the two of you, truly I am. I’m just not particularly happy with what I saw. I’m going to need a new pair of eyes. Take care of my brother, alright? We’re friends but doesn’t give you a free pass.” 

 

Somi couldn’t do anything else but to let Chaeyoung walk past her. She went back to Jeonghoon dragging him up the stairs, while I sat next to Sana.

 

”Where did you guys go?” 

 

”I came with Chaeyoung to go visit her dad.”

 

Tzuyu suddenly slow clapped. ”Someone has to give you a prize Mina. You actually convinced Chaeyoung to go back there.” 

 

”Uh Thanks?”

 

Chaeyoung came back out with her mother. 

 

”It was nice having you visit here Tzuyu and I’m glad I got to meet the two of you. Such beautiful young ladies.” 

 

Mrs Son hugged each one of us whispering thanks, praises, and reminders to always keep an eye on her little tiger. 

 

We were sat back in Tzuyu’s car waving to Mrs Son. ”Drive safe Tzuyu!”

 

Sana pulled me by the arm once we were on the road. ”I met Tzuyu’s parents” 

 

I looked at her in astonishment. ”How?”

 

”I’ll tell you the whole story when we get home.” She leaned back against the leather seats and was asleep in an instant.

 

Tzuyu dropped us off at her apartment before she drove off to Momo’s gym. Sana went straight to the bedroom to continue her nap in the car. 

 

Chaeyoung hasn’t spoken a word since we left their house. She seems to be trapped inside her head again. Burying herself with her thoughts. 

 

I knew better than to disrupt her in times like this. She comes around sooner or later, so I chose to fix our things for our early morning flight tomorrow. I wouldn't want to leave anything behind. 

 

I tried to look for Chaeyoung once I finished with our luggage but I can't seem to find her. I checked every room in the massive apartment, but to no avail, Chaeyoung was nowhere to be seen. 

 

I stayed in the living room watching or playing with Gucci whenever he came by. It soon turned dark and Chaeyoung was still nowhere to be seen. Tzuyu came in holding a tiny girl by the collar like a lioness carrying her cub. 

 

”She’s wasted, out of her mind, and talking nonsense.” 

 

Tzuyu laid Chaeyoung on the couch, the girl obviously red from the amount of alcohol she has consumed. 

 

”Where did she go?” 

 

”Hyde Park. She was laying down on the grass by the Anzac Memorial.” Tzuyu turned to go into the kitchen.

 

I fixed Chaeyoung’s chair, brushing it off of her face. ”Chaeyoungie” No response.

 

”Chaengie?” I said louder, even lightly tapping her cheeks.

 

”Chaeyoung-ah!” 

 

She sat up with a jolt, her eyes unfocused and hazy. She looked at her surroundings, relaxing once she realizes where she is. 

 

”I’m gonna grab a glass of water.” 

 

Chaeyoung attempted to stand up but was unable. Instantly losing her balance before she could even take a step. 

 

”Be careful” 

 

I held her by the arm, supporting her back down on the couch. ”I’ll go get it for you. Stay on the couch.” 

 

Chaeyoung didn’t protest, letting herself melt into the cushions

 

Tzuyu was fixing up the take away she brought in when I got into the kitchen. ”Why do you think she drank so much that she got intoxicated? I know Chaeyoung tries her best to avoid too much alcohol.” 

 

Tzuyu sighed, ”I’m not really sure about that, we both just turned 18 when she moved to Melbourne. I’m not familiar with her drinking habits, but what I do know from Dahyun’s stories is that she drinks to drown her thoughts.”

 

Chaeyoung trying to silence her brain could not mean anything good. She felt tired enough of the things going around her head that she wanted to be anywhere but there. 

 

I took a glass of water and went back to Chaeyoung.

 

”Will you tell me what’s bothering you?” 

 

Chaeyoung shook her head while downing the liquid. ”It’s nothing you should worry about.” She gave me back the glass and stood up on slightly stable legs. ”I’m fine”

 

She went up the stairs probably into the bedroom. 

 

I sighed and returned the glass back to the kitchen. 

 

”She didn’t talk?” 

 

”Nope”

 

I slumped down on the chair in the dining table. ”I’ll call Sana down, let’s just leave food for Chaeyoung when she gets hungry later.” 

 

We ate dinner that night without the little artist and when I got to the room she was already knocked out on the bed. I removed her shoes for her, something she forgot to do, and covered her with the duvet.

 

I got ready for bed before slipping myself under the covers. I faced Chaeyoung’s sleeping figure, lightly caressing her cheeks. 

 

”I’ll wait until you’re ready to talk.”