A Scaredy Cat

Two People
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was 6 in afternoon, Joohyun was just finish her last caesarian surgery. What a long day she thought. Weekend supposed to be spent with your family but here she was right now. Still wearing her purple scrub and a mask after remove the gown from her body.

“Thank you for your hard work, everyone”, she said to her nurse and anesthetic who helped her.

“Good job, doctor Bae”, came their response after hearing her gratitude

“I’ll get going then”, she smiled toward everyone before bid them farewell.

She has just changed her clothes, prepared to go home. She grabbed her phone from her bag and started to dial Seulgi while walking out of hospital.

“Hello, Hyun”, a voice came to greet her.

“Seul”, she said.

“Hey”, replied Seulgi in line.

“I’ve just finished my surgery. I’m going home right now. Did you and Yerim arrive safely at home?”

“Yeah we did, I just finish dry Yerim’s hair”

“I’m sorry, I should have finish sooner so I can be home early and cooked for you”, Joohyun said. She felt bad because she wasn’t able to do more for her friend who just sacrificed her day off to accompany her daughter.

“It’s okay, we are not that hungry anyway. Yerim and I just ate Ice cream before coming home”

“Okay then. I’ll be home in 20 minutes. I’ll stop by for food. What do you want to eat?”

“Anything will do”

“Okay, see you Seul”

She hung up, and put her phone back in her bag. She started the car’s engine and drive to her home.

 

Seulgi and Yerim just sitting on the couch while watch Yerim’s favorite cartoon on TV when there was sound the door being open. It must be Joohyun, Seulgi thought. And she’s right, Joohyun showed up with her tired face but still showing her smile to Seulgi and Yerim who still being immersed in her cartoon.

“Sweetheart, Mommy is back” Joohyun announced her arrival. Yerim just turn her head to her Mommy’s direction.

“Mommy!” called her little one, Joohyun was already open her arms signaling to Yerim to give her a hug. Yerim got up from her seat and walking to her Mommy to give her a simple hug, but for Joohyun it was more than enough to recharge her energy.

“Aigoo, Mommy missed you so much, lil one” said Joohyun to her daughter.

“Did my Sweety enjoy her day out with Aunty Seulgi?” asked Joohyun after she broke the hug and kissed her daughter’s cheek.

“Yup! We played Swing and Slide Mommy, and then Aunty Seulgi just bring Yelim to a big aqualium to see fishes! Yelim happy Mommy!” explained Yerim with so much energy. After a long day playing with Seulgi, Joohyun wondered how this little pumpkin has so much energy left within her?

“Wow. Sounds really fun Sweetheart. Have Yerim thanked Aunty Seulgi for that?”

“Ooops! Not yet Mommy”, little Yerim said while showed her little pout to say she is sorry for forgetting to thank her Aunty. Joohyun just smiled and ruffled Yerim’s hair “Now, I think it’s time to say thanks to Aunty Seulgi, Sweetheart”.

Yerim just nodded her head and turned toward Seulgi before bow to her “Thank You Aunt Seulgi fol bringing Yelimie out to play”

“It’s my pleasure kiddo”, said Seulgi wholeheartedly, little smile appeared on her face. Seulgi was so amaze that Yerim grow to be so well mannered kid. She thought Joohyun taught her daughter really well and didn’t abandon her kid despite her crazy work schedule.

It must be really hard for Joohyun to rise her kid alone, and still need to make money for her and her daughter. But Joohyun did it amazingly good for Seulgi. She really know how to manage her time to balance her work and her little one. Yes, sometimes Joohyun was struggling too. Like today, she couldn’t make time to bring Yerim out to play because there’s this emergency surgery she needs to do. But she will make it up to her daughter. So that’s why she was here, ready to help her.  And saying sorry and thank you was the most important thing Joohyun always teach her daughter about.

“Hello to you too, Seulgi”, greeting from Joohyun just bringing back Seulgi from her trances.

“Oh, hey Hyun”, Seulgi replied and return the smile Joohyun just gave her.

“I hope Yerim didn’t tire you too much”, Joohyun feels sorry and thankful at the same time.

Giggling, Seulgi just waved her hand in front of her chest “No, absolutely not. I’m happy too, it’s been awhile since I go out and play with Yerim”.

“Right. Seul, I bought jjampong and japchae for you. Is that okay?”

“Perfectly fine. Thanks Hyun”, Seulgi show her gratitude smile to her bestfriend.

“Alright then. Do you want to eat first? I wanna take shower a lil bit”. Actually Seulgi was already hungry and feel sleepy. Yerim did tired her so much, keeping up with Yerim’s energy all day long actually kinda hard for her now, because her stamina was not good like before. And the fact that she stayed up late to finish her surgery add more tiredness to her already tired body.

But she is more than willing to wait for Joohyun, so they can have dinner together. “It’s okay, you can go shower first. Yerim was already ate Hyun. So don’t worry”

“She did?” Joohyun was kinda surprised that her little one has eaten.

“Yup. I made her omelet for dinner. She told me that she was already hungry, so I made her a simple dinner. It’s okay right? I mean at least it was edible” said Seulgi more weakly at the end. Feel ashamed. She know for a woman who 35 years old, she is a terrible cook.

“It’s more than okay. You did a great work. Thank you Seul, for taking care Yerim”, Joohyun patted Seulgi’s shoulder. That’s little gesture was enough to make Seulgi feel happy.

Joohyun turned her attention to her daughter who already back at watching her favorite cartoon. She just shook her head and smiled, watching her daughter who really love Princess Sophia.

“Sweetheart” Joohyun called her daughter

“Yes, Mommy?” Yerim turned her Mommy.

“Mommy will take shower for a while. Please entertain Aunty Seulgi here, Okay? Don’t make her feel lonely”. Yerim gave her an OK sign and then back to her activity, watching Princess Sophia.

Seulgi just laughed a little and shook her head hearing what Joohyun said. Of course she would not be bored. Playing with Yerim is one thing that make her happy.

After 3 minutes into cartoon, Seulgi felt that her lid feel so heavy, a tired yawn escaped from . She checked her phone for any new notification from hospital, check her media social too. But it made her more sleepy. So she decided to get rid the sleepiness again by of course talking with little pumpkin beside her.

“Yerim-ah”, Seulgi called, she sit closer to Yerim and wrap her hand around Yerim little body

“Yes?” Yerim replied but still not turn her eyes from TV.

“Why a Princess like Sophia go to jungle and not wearing her dress?” Seulgi asked. Actually Seulgi was already felt that her eyes really really heavy, and It would close in any second. So she talked to Yerim, hoping that the sleepiness would go away.

“That’s easy. Because she is scouting. Of course when scouting no one can wear a dress Aunty”

“You are right. And why Sophia didn’t bring her guard to the jungle?”

“ssssttt” Yerim brought her index finger to in front of to silent Seulgi. “Aunty, let’s watch. Don’t ask. Yelim are trying to watch”

Seulgi just huffed hearing Yerim’s reply. This little kid and her obsession of Princess Sophia was really something. So Seulgi tried again watching it too. Tried to stay awake while waiting for Joohyun to be done. After 5 minutes to cartoon and never ending yawn, her eyes betrayed her. Seulgi couldn’t fight her sleepiness no more. So she fell asleep.

 

Joohyun just done taking shower. She took time to dry her body. And then put lotion to her arms and legs. She has this motto to stay hydrated even in home. She really took care of her body, especially her skin. After done with the lotion, she just grab her grey sweatpant and simple white t-shirt to wear. Satisfied with her looks, Joohyun just walked to living room to call Seulgi to have dinner together.

“Seul, let’s …”, there she found already sleeping Seulgi and her daughter who still watch TV. “eat”, she finished her sentences.  She walked closer to her friend

“Mommy, Aunty is sleeping”, whispered Yerim. Joohyun just nodded her head. There was Seulgi, eyes closed, mouth slightly agaped, and light snores came from .  She contemplating to let Seulgi sleep or wake her up so she can eat. But Joohyun think it’s the best to eat first, so Seulgi would not waking up in the middle of night, feeling hungry.  So she patted her friend’s shoulder lightly, try to wake her up

“Seul. Seulgi. Wake up Seul”, she called her name

But here was the problem. Seulgi is a heavy sleeper. She wouldn’t budge if Joohyun still use this way. So Joohyun shake her shoulder with so much strength so Seulgi will open her eyes.

“Seul. Seul. Wake up Seulgi”

Seulgi finally opened her eyes. Her sclera was red. That’s mean Seulgi really need a good sleep. But for Joohyun, Seulgi would get the best sleep if she sleep with a full stomach, not empty.

“Huh? Hyun? Is there an emergency? Did I have a new patient?” Seulgi said groggily, still feel the drowsiness from her sleep.

Joohyun just giggling watching Seulgi’s antic. She was never changed. “No, Silly. There’s no emergency, and you have no new patient. It just you have not eat, Seul”

“Yeah” and Seulgi still yawn. She want to sleep really bad

“Five minutes more Hyun, you go first”, Seulgi closed her eyes again and ready to resume her sleep

“Seul”, Joohyun tapped at her shoulder again. “Eat first please, and then you can sleep again”

“Alright, then”, Seulgi finally woke up, strecting her body little bit. Joohyun offered her hand, tried to get Seulgi wake from her seat “C’mon Seul, wash your face first”. Seulgi just nodded and took Joohyun’s hand, then started to walk to bathroom to wash her face

While Seulgi in the bathroom, Joohyun was prepared the food for both of them. She almost already finished with preparing when Seulgi came to dinner table.

“Hyun”, Seulgi called her when Joohyun put the utensil on the table. Joohyun turn her attentio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter