Chapter 1

A Walk in the Park (One-Shot)

 It was a sunny day - the first in months. It was monsoon season in Seoul, and Jonghyun had spent most of his days inside, avoiding the weather.


He picked up his bag and headed to the park. People were about - more than usual; photographers were running about, families strolling in the park, and the one that got to Jonghyun most - couples everywhere. The park was where all the couples had picnics and felt free to show their affection to the world.


Jonghyun had avoided relationships all his life. It was something he felt was impossible; nobody would want a -up like him. He'd accepted this, but at the same time, it never made him sad. He was content being alone...at least that's what he told himself after years of crying himself to sleep. He was easy to live without; nobody needed him in their life.


The busyness felt overwhelming, which was odd, since for the most part, he did enjoy people. On days like these, he felt insecure; there was no doubt someone would stop and ask for directions or something of the like.


You see, Jonghyun loved singing. The only thing was, he couldn't hear himself; Jonghyun was deaf.


He learned at a young age how to speak, but his speech level was far less superior compared to an average person's speech. There was one thing he'd done naturally as a child - sing. After an accident, the doctor confirmed he would have hearing troubles growing up; however, he never said he'd go deaf. After he turned eight, he went completely deaf. He stopped talking altogether, and now he could only remember lyrics. Although he couldn't hear himself, he continued to sing those same songs he'd heard as a child. Of course, only when he was alone. There was that fear that he'd lost his strength in his voice, or maybe he sounded horrible.


He sighed, pulling out his earbuds. He propped each bud in an ear and walked around the pond. He knew if he wore head-phones, nobody would bother stopping to talk to him or ask for directions unless they really wanted to talk to him. That never happened though.


He walked beside the outline of the pond. Jonghyun's reflection shone up at him; he was semi-satisfied with his appearance, but he'd give anything to hear his voice again, or even better - have someone to talk to. Most people gave up on trying to communicate with him.


After walking a solid hour around the park, he decided to rest. He spotted a bench and sat down, basking in the sunlight. The rays felt good, lapping against his soft skin. It was relaxing, and Jonghyun was on the brink of nodding off.


Jonghyun felt a light tap on his shoulder. He turned, a young man with heart-shaped lips and blonde hair sat next to him.


He felt his heart begin to race; this man was gorgeous, and he'd have to explain his situation somehow. He hoped his lips were easy to read, but the man made no facial movements - he just sat there.


Jonghyun smiled at the resemblance he had to a cat. His eyes were fierce, but held a soft quality to them.


The blonde's face lit up with a friendly smile. His hands lifted, signalling an elegant "hello."


Jonghyun's mind raced, not noticing his eyes had widened to the size of saucers.


The boy's smile disappeared, but he tried once more.


"My name is Key." His hands moved so smoothly, even more-so than Jonghyun's.


Jonghyun brought his hands up, "hi, how did you know I was deaf?"


"I didn't. I'm deaf as well."


Key shot a small grin at Jonghyun, waiting for a response.


Jonghyun's heart calmed itself down, though still beating at an eratic pattern. He'd only met one person who could sign, but she avoided meeting him, and soon disappeared from his life completely.


He raced to collect his thoughts, "nice to meet you, Key. I'm Jonghyun."


Both boys smiled in unison. Jonghyun had never been so elated before.


"Nice to meet you too, Jonghyun-ssi," he signed, managing a giggle.


Jonghyun was glad he came to the park today. Whether it was fate that brought them together, he wasn't sure - he knew one thing though: this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship, or so he hoped. Perhaps after all those dark years, life had given him a gift.


It was a beautiful, sunny day today. The day he met Key.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The luckiest day of my life was the day I met Key." -Jonghyun.

Please let me know what you thought of this! Comments always inspire me to write more and see your guys' thoughts on my stories. I really appreciate that you took your time to read my story, thank you. :) And yes, that's an actual quote from Jjong. Thanks for commenting, reading, and/or subscribing.