Chapter 15: Hope Versus Reality

Stars, It's My Mistake

Chapter 15
Hope Versus Reality


“Hey, Jessie, good job out ther-!”

“Where’s Yuri?” Jessica questioned the minute she spotted her childhood friend running toward her.

“I can’t believe that’s the first thing you say to me,” Tiffany groaned, faking an irritated look.

“Don’t give me that face. I know you were about to ask me where Taeyeon is as well.”

Tiffany unintentionally twitched at the truth of Jessica’s claim. It was no surprise that the two close buddies could see right through each other like looking straight at a thin, transparent piece of paper.

“So, where is Yuri?” Jessica repeated her question, darting her head in every direction she could possibly perceived in search of the black pearl.

“She said she went to get something. Don’t worry, she’ll be back.”

Jessica perked a pout.

“As for Taeyeon, she’s changing in there,” the blonde answered to Tiffany’s unasked curiosity, pointing to the room that she had just stepped out from.

Tiffany’s eyebrow slowly crunched together as she glanced up at the silver plate on the door. ‘TaeYeon’, it read.

“Jessie, why were you in there?” 

Having known the ice princess for quite some years, Tiffany had grown to adapt her friend’s frigid way of interrogation in her tone of speech whenever aggravation swung by.

“We were changing together,” Jessica scoffed, deliberately playing around with Tiffany’s emotions. “Jealous?”

“Yah! I know what you’re trying to do, so stop it! And didn’t I also tell you not to hold her hands?” Tiffany screamed in a whisper, being aware not to be heard by the occupant in the room that they were standing next to. She knew she was not making any sense at the moment as she was jumping from topic to topic, but all were simply in relation to her jealousy toward her friend and her crush.

“It was part of the script. We had to be friendly with one another to pose a good image, you know?” Jessica informed indifferently, “And by the way, it wasn’t me who initiated the contact. Blame your ‘TaeTae’ if you have to.” 

Tiffany glared at Jessica, who returned the detestable look with her own. “Who granted you the privilege to call her that?”

“I did.” The ice princess smirked.

Tiffany sighed, knowing all too well that she was merely being used by Jessica as a subject to the blonde’s game of boredom. It was just a ‘fun’ distraction in riddance of Jessica’s impatience in her wait for Yuri. Tiffany, who was too focused within her jealousy, became a fool to her friend’s tease.

“I’m done talking with you. I’m going to go look for Yuri.”

Jessica removed herself from the wall and patted off the wrinkles on her one-piece dress. Running her fingers against her hair, she brushed it back neatly before turning toward her friend.

“How do I look?”

Tiffany observed Jessica carefully before flashing her eye-smile as she threw up two thumbs-up.

“Gorjess.”

“Excellent.”

☆★☆

“How many roses would you like, child?”

“Twenty. No, wait, make it twenty-one.”

“That will be $126. Thank you very much.”

“Thanks, granny.”

“Wait, young-lady, do you know about the messages behind the roses?”

“No, I don’t.”

“The color and number of roses each has got their meaning. Twenty-one stems means, ‘I am devoted to you.’ Your eyes, dear, they are telling me that you have a very precious someone you want to hold on to.”


Honestly, Yuri’s was not at all interested in hearing what the old florist had to say about the red flowers, but the gentle look in the woman’s eyes had turned her back and opened her willing ears. Yuri was certain other customers might have been confused and chose to disregard anything the old woman had rambled on about. However, to Yuri, there was a truth in the old lady’s words that had made her response with a smile instead. How the old lady had come to knew about her feelings was something mystical to ponder about. The world often says old people are among the wisest; Yuri had come to believe that fact now.

With the bouquet in one hand, she handed the VIP ticket to the staff member guarding the backstage with the other. After he had permitted her to walk in, she could vaguely hear desperate cries coming from the entrance doors that eventually drew louder.

“Look, did you not hear me!? I’m her friend you got that!? I’m Jessica’s friend!”

“Sir, please be calm. We are not certain if you are miss Jessica’s friend or not, therefore, we cannot permit your entrance.”

“This is ridiculous! LET ME IN!!! I HAVE TO SEE HER!!”

Yuri continued to watch from afar until the shouting, hooded young man was forced to retreat as the security guards threatened to throw him out. The black pearl heaved a deep sigh and let out a nervous smile.

Must be tough for her.

Yuri ignored the continuance of the commotion and began to head her way toward Jessica, gripping tightly on the 21-rose-stems-bouquet.

★☆★

“Did you forget something Jessic-”

Taeyeon was glad at that moment that she had already finished clothing herself from head to toe before a visitor had stepped in. She would have been left in a frantic mess if not.

“Oh, i-it’s you, Fany. H-hi.” 

Taeyeon greeted, barely saving herself from tumbling over random objects on her walk, or rather, her sprint toward the brunette.

“Sorry, I should have knocked.”

“N-No, it’s fine.” Taeyeon smiled bashfully, her eyes avoiding Tiffany’s gaze. 

“Are you done packing your stuff?” 

“Yeah,” Taeyeon answered, strapping on her bag of make-up kits and her handbag on each of her shoulders.

“Will you go somewhere with me?”

“Sure, but where?”

“You’ll see.”

The sly, mischievous eye-smile that curved on Tiffany’s lips was sending a feeling of unease in Taeyeon’s mind. Even so, she didn’t mind it. As of now, Tiffany’s company was all she cared about.

Tiffany exited the room with Taeyeon trailing closely behind. Unfortunately, one of the shorter girl’s belongings was suddenly caught in the doorknob as their sizes brought slight inconveniences. Without a word, Tiffany swiftly untangled the black strap and took the heavier luggage on her own shoulder. Before Taeyeon could reject Tiffany’s help, the brunette had managed to skillfully silence the shorter girl by reaching out for her with her own and grabbed it tightly.

Tiffany could pass as a better gentleman than many other males out there, or so Taeyeon believed.

Quietness intruded their walk as the surrounded noises and their inconsistent heartbeats filled in their speechless seconds. 

“Taeyeon!”

A man’s voice loudly called out to the singer as both girls turned their heads to its origin in reflex.

“Leeteuk-oppa?”

Tiffany lightly flinched upon hearing the familiar name that she had been once introduced to. The brunette hesitantly released her hold on her friend’s hand and watched the girl run up to her sunbae. Tiffany found no need to tag along and hear on their conversation, and chose instead to lean her back against the wall, waiting impatiently.

“You did great up there, Taeyeon.”

“Thanks, oppa.”

The brunette silently observed as the two workmates chatted with one another. She gritted her teeth and glanced away when she witnessed Leeteuk rubbing his hand on Taeyeon’s head familiarly as the shorter girl responded with a shy giggle. Tiffany would then continue to shuffle uncomfortably against the wall, quietly wishing to herself that their chat would end in the next minute or so. 

Having no interest in watching the two colleagues in front of her converse, and knowing that she might break herself from uncontrollable jealousy, Tiffany pulled out her phone to entertain herself for the time being. Though, what she expected to see on her screen was not what was covering her screen’s wallpaper; there was a notification of fifteen missed calls and three messages, all from one person.

Why is he...

Not even bothering to send a word back, Tiffany simply switched off the vibration function of her phone and its volume. She then proceeded to tuck the device back in her bag, leaving all questioning of her whereabouts unanswered.

“Fany?”

Tiffany looked up at her caller and backed up in reflex upon seeing how close Taeyeon had been, banging her head against the wall in progress.

“Are you okay!?” Taeyeon worriedly asked in panic, outstretching her hand to check on the back of Tiffany’s bruised head.

“I’m alright,” Tiffany assured, smiling despite her pain when Taeyeon reached out to her. 

She glanced down at a bright color dawning on the edge of her eyes and noticed a cup of jelly in Taeyeon’s hand. It wasn’t there before.

“Where did you get that?” Tiffany asked, pointing to the nearly finished snack.

“Leeteuk-oppa gave it to me just now. Isn’t it pretty?” Taeyeon brought the dessert closer to Tiffany as the latter frowned slightly in response. “Want some?”

“No, thanks,” the brunette replied, jealousy coating her words with ice. “Let’s go. I want to get there before the place closes.”

“Where are you planning taking me?” Taeyeon questioned for the second time, being dragged along, yet again, as she attempted to feed herself with one free hand.

“I can’t tell you. Just follow and you’ll see.”

“Fany, wait!”

Tiffany halted from her steps and glanced back at the shorter girl. She then realized in that instant that her actions had been rather impulsive all along. Her selfish disregard of Taeyeon’s feelings forced her to slowly let go of the grip on her friend’s hand, filling her mind with remorse.

“Sorry, I-”

Surprisingly, though, Taeyeon had not loosened her lock on Tiffany’s fingers and had further tightened her fingers against the back of the younger girl’s hand.

“Can you scoop the rest of the jelly and just feed me? I can’t do it by myself with only one hand.”

Tiffany widened her eyes at the odd request but easily complied as she picked up the small plastic spoon dangling inside the tiny cup. She brought the jelly-filled spoon and placed it in Taeyeon’s eager mouth as the latter gulped down the snack in haste.

“Hmm it’s so good! Thanks!” Taeyeon exclaimed, squealing like a little girl as the jelly melted on her tongue.

Tiffany frowned again and threw the empty cup into a nearby recycle bin. She was starting to wonder if her surprise could have that much of an impact on Taeyeon just as Leeteuk’s jelly did. However, when her face was away from Taeyeon for a moment, Tiffany freely let out a smile on her lips at the adorable side her friend had expressed.

“Oh and…”

Tiffany felt a soft collision brushed by her arm and turned her head back upon the contact and was taken aback to see the older girl now being so close to her. It had seemed that Taeyeon had taken a couple of steps forward and was now shoulder to shoulder with the brunette beside her.

“Okay, we’re good now.”

“…?”

“I feel like a puppy following its owner so I rather walk next to you.”

Even simple words like those were already bad enough for her heart. Tiffany knew that with each passing second spent with Taeyeon and each word that had been said by the latter, she had not only fell deeper into the maze she had curiously peeked upon but she also had been permanently trapped in it.

Why is it that everything you do just seem to make me fall for you even more?

☆★☆

“Sica!”

The blonde instinctively turned her head to the direction where her name had been familiar called out from and beamed happily. She speeded on her heels to skip as fast as she could and managed to approach the latter in no time. The first thing on her mind at that second was to just throw her arms over the other girl’s neck in an embrace and worry about everything else later.

“Sica-I-I can’t breathe,” the strangled victim groaned, having a hard time bending her head lower thanks to their unfortunate height difference.

Playing ignorant about the other girl’s reactions and rather choosing to ignore them, Jessica simply moved her arms lower and eventually came to hug the latter’s waist to rid of their uncomfortable positions without a word.

“You’re late.”

“Sorry.”

It wasn’t long until she felt warmth shrouding her back and arms wrapping loosely around her. Jessica grinned sheepishly, digging her face into the crook of younger girl’s neck, tickling the latter who flinched in response.

A few seconds passed until one of the two broke through their comfort zone.

“You did great out there.”

“You think so?”

“Uhuh.”

Jessica finally let go of the poor girl in front of her.

“About time,” Yuri joked, tilting her neck from side to side to fake her pain.

“Sorry, I just wanted to-…nevermind.” Jesisca left her sentence incomplete, having no courage to even say such simple words of her reasoning.

“I’m just kidding. Here, I have something for you.” Yuri finally revealed the bouquet of roses she had been keeping a safe distance from her attacker in front of the girl, presenting it in means of a present.

It was all too unexpected.

“You-…I-…I don’t know what to say. Thanks. Thank you,” Jessica accepted the roses, stuttering on her words of gratitude as she glanced at the beautifully bloomed flowers. She brought them closer to her, taking a sniff of their natural aroma that was pleasing to her senses.

“You’re just like a boyfriend,” Jessica added, “my boyfriend.”

Yuri blushed, scratching the back of her head while casting her eyes to the sides shyly. 

“I’m a girl, you know,” the tan girl muttered.

“Then you can be my girlfriend,” Jessica blurted out, accompanying her statement with a playful smile. She hadn’t intended on saying it, but she had meant her words. 

Still, as dense as Yuri could be, the girl didn’t take it to heart, changing the topic almost right after.

“Do you have any plans after this?” 

Jessica pulled out her phone by its charm and switched on the screen. Huffing out a sigh of disappointment, she nodded to Yuri. 

“Tight schedule today. I have an interview right after this and then I would have to go home. Don’t know how long that would be though…”

Jessica was hoping that Yuri would have said, “I’ll wait for you,” but instead, the younger girl just nodded slowly in acknowledgement and let the setback slide by without any say.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yes!” Jessica answered, not even leaving a millisecond to bypass. Her enthusiasm had gotten ahead of her and just the thought of going back to the old times had excited her even further. She truly missed them.

“Give me your phone.”

Jessica bore a questioning look but did not think twice before handing the device to her friend. She watched as Yuri punched in some numbers on the screen pad before giving it back to its owner.

“Text me your address. I’ll be there at 5:00PM sharp. If not then…something happened to me.”

Jessica mercilessly slapped Yuri hard for the girl’s last statement. “Yah! Don’t say that!”

“Ow…your hits are still as painful as ever.” Yuri rubbed on the red imprint on her arm, wincing at the hurt.

“You’re still as kkab as ever.” Jessica stuck her tongue out and let out a giggle shortly after.

Soon, Yuri followed suit and laughed her fit as well.

“We haven’t changed, haven’t we?” 

“We’re just-…no…we haven’t changed,” Jessica stuttered, holding back her initial thought.

“Jessica!! Jung Sooyeon, where are you!?” A man’s voice cried out loudly down the hallway as Yuri searched for its source while Jessica just stood still in expectance.

“Your manager?”

“Yeah. I guess I have to go.”

Jessica hesitantly took a step back, eyes still on Yuri’s.

“Bye, Sica. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you. Thank you for the roses.”

“No problem.”

As soon as Jessica heard her manager calling out impatiently yet, again, she took quicker steps backward and waved a hand to her friend. 

What a coward I am,’ Jessica sighed, her pace quickening. ‘You said we haven’t changed, but we’re distant now Yuri. Do you still feel the same way? Has that changed?

★☆★

“F-For me? R-Really?” Taeyeon asked in disbelief, eyes remained gawking at the dessert handed to her hand. 

“Yes,” Tiffany replied with a nod, satisfied with the reaction that she was getting. After another few seconds of watching Taeyeon doing nothing but stare at the treat, Tiffany lightly pushed the girl’s hand holding the cone up to her lips. “Eat it before it melts.”

Taeyeon finally let loose of her excitement, throwing Tiffany a quick, yet tight, hug with one hand while the other carefully holding onto her little gift on the other.

“Thank you so much!!”

Taeyeon expressed her gratitude before diving into her food. She the freezing tip of the ice cream and shivered when the cold sensation hit her taste buds. She squealed, shut her eyes, and savored the vanilla flavor in , sipping another mouthful after she had swallowed the first. This was got to be the best of gifts she had received in those past months even if it was small.

Ice cream ― it was a simple, frozen dessert that could knock Taeyeon into an immediate daydream as she would drift on cloud nine, with agape jaw and fluttering eyes glued on her face, and would fantasize about gulping down her favorite desert. However, because of strict health maintenance placed on her by her manager, she was restrained from eating anything too cold as it would compress and would strike a negative effect on her vocals. It was practically impossible for Taeyeon to sneak in an ice cream bar or two in her refrigerator as her manager would often inspect on her food storage and would dispose of anything he considered ‘unhealthy’. She was only allowed to eat the snack once a month, a restriction that was unbearable for the ice-cream lover. In addition, it would be also rather difficult to make furtive plans of escaping into the busy streets of Seoul during operating hours, as she would be easily caught by one of the by-passers for her known identity. And even worse, her schedule often did not give enough of a fair treatment for her to even afford some sleep, and even if she was granted hours of freedom, it would be during the time of the night where all doors were closed.

And now with ice cream right in front of her, she couldn’t help but be overexcited. 

“By the way, you did great on your performance,” Tiffany commented genuinely.

“You think so? Thanks.”

“It was a really meaningful song, but then again, it’s sad. Why do you always write such sad songs?”

“I just write whatever fits best with my feelings.”

“Feelings…of what?”

“N-Nothing. It’s nothing.” Taeyeon dodged the question. 

Not wanting to pry further, Tiffany left it just at that. Besides, the way Taeyeon had occasionally focused on her during the older girl’s performance had already confirmed enough.

Before Tiffany could finish even one fourth of her own ice cream, the girl beside her had eaten to the last bit of crumbs from the waffle cone and was now staring at the closing shop in front of them with a disappointed face. 

Taeyeon was ready to get off the bench to race for another serving, though, unfortunately for her, it was already past the store hours when they had arrived. It took Tiffany quite some bargaining skills and surprisingly not that much effort to persuade the man to give in to her ways. If Taeyeon had known where Tiffany was planning on taking her, she would allow selfishness to take over for once and make sure that her conversation with her sunbae ended quick and clean. However, she did not had a heads-up for this surprise in any form.

“You want it?” Tiffany moved her own ice cream toward Taeyeon when she caught the older girl staring at it in envy.

“N-No, it’s yours. I shouldn’t ta-”

“It’s fine,” Tiffany assured, tempting Taeyeon further.

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon reaffirmed, hand already reaching out for the iced dessert. 

After earning a nod from her friend as a response, Taeyeon thankfully received the ice cream in her hand and began feeding on it as if it was her first serving.

Tiffany watched with the utmost interest at Taeyeon’s expressive nature, while a joyful smile was drawn on her face. She giggled to herself as she observed how Taeyeon shone in delightfulness at the surprise the brunette had set for her, feeling a sense of relief swift by at the same time.

“You’re so adorable, TaeTae.”

The look on Taeyeon’s face had triggered yet another unwitting flattery escaping Tiffany’s lips. Perhaps she had said them within her conscious and wanted to have it heard by Taeyeon, but nevertheless, Tiffany was too weary to run from the truth any longer. She was going all out now.

However, Taeyeon had purposely pretended to be distracted by her ice cream to have any reaction toward the comment. She was unsure of how to react to such, and the addition of Tiffany staring at her with much intensity in the younger girl’s eyes increased her levels of nervousness.

“How did you know I love ice cream?” Taeyeon popped the question after only hearing the sounds of their breathing filling in their awkwardness when she had decided to ignore the previous opinion.

“Your profile online and your radios broadcasts.”

Taeyeon roughly coughed as the first response, pounding her chest with her fist as she tried to ease her freezing chest from carelessly gulping down the ice cream too sudden.

“You alright?” Tiffany concerned as the older girl replied with a wave of her hand and an ‘O.K’ signal with her fingers.

“S-so you- you watched them?”

“Of course. I’m your biggest fan,” Tiffany reasoned, giving herself an excuse as to not sound too much like a stalker with her actions. “Jelly or ice cream, which one did you liked better?”

“Ice cream!!”

Taeyeon’s straight answer, approving thumbs up, and dorky expression had brought upon a smile brighter than jewel on Tiffany’s lips and crescent eyes.

“I’m glad,” was all she could pull into words as her emotions were too sugary sweet to be put into sentences.

“Thank you so much for doing this for me. I really appreciate it, Miyoung.”

Tiffany’s smile slowly dropped as her eyebrows curved up into a frown simultaneously upon hearing her much disliked Korean name sounded from the singer next to her.

“What did you just called me?” Tiffany tilted her head, hoping that her ears were playing tricks on her. 

“Miyoung. Hwang Miyoung. That’s your name isn’t it?” Taeyeon bluntly called out, oblivious to the change of mood on Tiffany’s face.

There is no possibility that Taeyeon could have known this by herself. Her only resource would be-’ Tiffany paused. There could only be one person, who was close enough to have leaked her name to anyone, especially Taeyeon. ‘…Jessie…Jung Jessica. That girl…I swear she’s going to get it from me the next time I see her. I’m going to burn the ice out of the girl and she is going to be worse than just melted.

Tiffany clenched her fists, not at the very please at the teasing joke her childhood friend had decided to pull on her. After imagining different scenarios of how she could get back at Jessica with her own forms of torture, she turned back to Taeyeon, having plans of telling the girl about her dislike toward her old-fashioned birth name.

Soundtrack 02: Kiss The Rain

“Taeyeon, truthfully, I don’t really my na-”

“It’s beautiful.”

Tiffany’s mouth remained unclosed. She was uncertain as to what she had heard when she was suddenly cut-off from completing her statement. However, Taeyeon repeated it the second time, throwing out her doubts.

“It’s really beautiful. Hwang Miyoung, don’t you think it has a nice flow to it?”

It would have sounded hilarious and ridiculous to most, but at that moment, Tiffany felt a strong liking toward her Korean name. 

This was the first.

“It’s okay for me to call you that right? But if you don’t like it, then I guess you probably wouldn’t want to hear it.”

Tiffany stayed quiet but then smiled sweetly as she faced Taeyeon.

“No, you can. Just when you and I are alone, though.”

“Okay, then,” Taeyeon beamed in relief, “Miyoung-ah?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

Tiffany’s face lit up. She didn’t remember ever being so happy when she had heard that name being called out to her before. Again, this was the first. 

“And one more thing… I’m really sorry for being so greedy. I really shouldn’t have eaten your ice cream as well,” Taeyeon apologized sincerely from guilt.

“When you really love something, it’s okay to be greedy. It’s only natural,” Tiffany implied, “and…loving someone is just the same.”

Boldy, and without warning, Tiffany reached out her hand and placed it on Taeyeon's. The younger girl smiled, her eyes telling more to what she had said...more to what she had meant.

There was a short pause as both girls stare into each other’s eyes, unmoving and unwavering. 

They knew it was more than just a simple exchange ― more than just a simple pause of silence. They knew that there was something that they both wanted to say, but yet, they also understood that they were both holding their tongues on that one thought.

The one greedy thought of wanting the other for herself… entirely.

Tiffany outstretched her hand and placed it softly on Taeyeon’s left cheek, her thumb caressing the girl’s smooth skin. Taeyeon flinched, but remained still, one hand squeezing tightly on the edge of her shirt as the other held onto the melting ice cream. Tiffany saw that as an initiative of submission and inched forward, leaning closer and closer to latter. 

Taeyeon did not budge or backed away, but instinctively closed her eyes slowly. She stiffened when she felt Tiffany’s breathing tickling her. The scent of Tiffany’s perfume was driving her crazy again, sending her heart racing down the fast lanes. She didn’t know what to think anymore. 

Or better yet, maybe she shouldn’t think at all at this point.

Their distance of inches soon turned into centimeters and eventually decreased into millimeters as Tiffany moved forward even further. Their gap was shortening, their breathing became uneven, and their minds grew thoughtless. Eventually, their lips brushed gently against one another, then-

“Tiffany, don’t do anything stupid before you break it off with Jaejoong.”

“There’s cream on your face.”

“O-Oh…”

Embarrassed, Taeyeon glanced away and fought back her expectations. She looked back at her frozen dessert uninterestedly and tried to finish it without a gist of her appetite left.

Tiffany had chosen what she believed to be the wiser option and backed off, much to Taeyeon’s unvoiced disappointment. 

They’re not ready, yet. Not yet.

However, in reality, it was just her who was not ready. Tiffany had too much things she had to deal with first before she would decide to speak of her feelings.

Their love for one another was obvious, like a white piece of paper laying flat on a black platform. Yet, they refused to speak of it.

The words just didn’t come out like they wanted to.

A sound of a familiar message alert destroyed their peace, but had rescued both from the awkwardness. Tiffany heaved an all-knowing sigh and excused herself with her phone in hand. She walked a couple of feet away from her fellow friend and made certain that the older girl would not be able to hear into her short conversation. 

After securing her privacy, Tiffany pressed onto the call button, and immediately was invited into the sounds of her boyfriend’s questioning impatience. 
All she said was one sentence; it answered nothing, yet concluded everything upon her decision:

“I need to talk to you.”

[End of Soundtrack]

☆★☆

Having rushed too early, Jessica had not noticed that her manager had called for her fifteen minutes earlier than he had promised to let her be. That was fifteen minutes that she could have spent with Yuri to make up for their lack of social connection in the one-year frame.

Trampling down the hall in distress, she prepared a lecture in her head before reaching to where he had ran off to. Though, the moment she understood the reason for her ruin of peace, she wanted to backtrack her steps and just dash off as fast as she could. However, she was pulled back to the scene before even successfully attempting to make her great escape.

“Jessica, could you do something about this man? He kept claiming to know you and we don’t want to take this to extreme measures of hurting him,” the manager whispered in her ear in explanation of the situation.

She already knew what was going on before he had told her, judging from the identity of the young man despite how his cap had been lowered enough to cover his face.

“I’ll talk with him. Please tell everyone to give us space,” Jessica noted, earning a skeptical look from the man next to her. “Don’t worry. He won’t hurt me.”

“If you say so…”

The manager soon gathered all the security guards and staff members out of the way just as Jessica had wished. The young woman and the capped man were soon left alone in the hallway.

Jessica groaned a heavy sigh of much disappointment.

“I told you not to do that again, Donghae-oppa.” Jessica crossed her arms, her eyes piercing cold.

“Sorry, Sica. I just really want to see you,” the young man protested, taking off his cap to reveal a fairly charismatic figure.

“We talked about this already, oppa. I still want to keep our friendship intact but if you keep doing things like this, I’ll do more than just change my phone number.”

“Why is it that you can’t give me a chance, Sica? I thought you liked me! We’re compatible, a seemingly perfect match ever since high school. Everyone says so! Even you thought so! Why is it now that you changed mind!?” Donghae’s voice was almost screaming levels, yet Jessica remained unrelenting.

The young man tried a different approach and grabbed Jessica’s arm, although she shook it off harshly the moment they shared contact.

“That was a year ago. I might have liked you then, but it doesn’t mean that I liked you now.”

“Sica I-”

“Oppa, I don’t want to talk about this anymore. If you still want us two to be friends, then please, don’t come after me.”

With her final words, Jessica walked away, leaving Donghae hanging behind. He didn’t follow her nor did he call out to her, because Jessica’s personalities would just put up a strong front and chasing would be pointless. 
What was more important was the unavoidable thought that had dawned upon Jessica after her encounter with her former sunbae. 

“I might have liked you then, but it doesn’t mean that I liked you now.”

Yuri was popular, talented, and over-the-standards. It had been one year and anything was possible, especially the change in feelings. Love is fragile, and if broken, it would be the hardest to mend back. Jessica understood that concept, yet, tried so hard to be ignorant about it for the past year.

And now, her own words had came back to haunt her.

Jessica squeezed the bouquet in her hand and shook off the agonizing possibility, stomping off and leaving behind all pessimism.

★☆★

Yuri the volumes of her car’s booming audio, blocking off the bustling noises of gathering crowds in the streets of Seoul. Her head was filled with endless, yet, empty contemplations. Stopping at the red lights on her drive, she took the moment of pause to get her mind on track. Too many things were going on as of now, and what she needed was just a nice rest where she didn’t have to think about the day of tomorrow, or any day for that matter.

Jessica and she weren’t as close as they used to be, and that was a lie beneath what she had claimed about the unaltered. Though, the truth had hurt her more. The ‘truth’, in which she strongly believed in, was Jessica’s unchanged feelings for her. “We haven’t changed,” was simply a phrase to remind herself that Jessica’s love was never more than on a mere friendship level. It had never reached to where she had hoped it would, and her pessimism had kept her from thinking that there would ever be a time for such.

Stretching her arm toward the channel mixer, her instincts forced Yuri to transfer to the news broadcast. But then again, she wasn’t really thinking much to care for what she was listening to. The sound was just there to block off any unnecessary thoughts that might have hopped into her brain.

“This is Seoul’s 9:00 o’clock news, bringing you some alert. “

Yuri’s attention slightly sparked, but her eyes remained lifeless.

“The police department has recently sent an urgent awareness report regarding a circulating gang on the streets.”

The tan girl’s eyebrow arched.

“We are uncertain of their motives and have no leads on their movements. Stated from the reports, the gang members are seeking after young ladies. Several victims had been harassed, but fortunately, there are no serious cases as of yet. The police are currently on a watch out.”

The disturbing feeling of anxiety was starting to make Yuri felt sick.

“The victims said to have been targeted after work hours while they are walking home. Please be on full alert and report immediately at any signs of suspicions. Thank you.”

Victoria…she should already be home by now…

Despite her assumption, Yuri’s anxiety had already managed to pull a leash on her. Without a second thought of concern, Yuri gripped on the wheel and drifted a U-turn with uneasiness plunging into her guts. 

☆★☆

The sun had set way before Victoria had finished compiling all of the assignments she had been diligently working on. She strapped on her bag, turned off the office lights, and wearily walked toward the elevator. Glancing at her wristwatch, she was alarmed as to how late it was.

The concert must have already ended.

Victoria stepped out of the lift and continued to walk toward the exit. Suddenly remembering that she had no ride home, Victoria reached for her phone and dialed her chauffeur’s number. A series of beeps followed and a voice message answered, but no sign of a human’s voice. Victoria ruffled her hair backward and attempted the second time. Still no luck.

I’ll just call a taxi.

She had exited the building and was welcomed by the chilly winter breeze, sending shivers down her bare skin. Victoria searched for the local streets and soon followed an empty road toward a visible streetlight. An eerie feeling was creeping down her spine but she refused to regard it as of any importance.

Though, that was a mistake.

In the corner of such a clamorous city, even the loudest of screams were left unheard.

★☆★

“I’m home.”

“Welcome home, sis! Splendid job today, by the way!”

Krystal got off her sofa and threw her older sister a warm hug. 

“Thanks, Krys. Where’s Joo Hyun?”

“She said she had to attend to ‘sick deer’ and left early this morning.”

Jessica twitched. She was certain that whoever was receiving Seohyun’s kindness was definitely not a wild animal but, instead, a ‘someone.’ Not that she worried too much, though. Seohyun was old enough to take care of herself and she was more responsible than what Jessica could ever be despite their .

As of now, that was none of her concern. Her later interviews scheduled at the current hour had been previously cancelled without her consent of notice. Therefore, that had consequently led to her foul mood as she could have spent the remaining time of the night with the person she would wished to make it up for. Now, calling Yuri up would be a bother to the latter, who needed much rest after what she was sure to be a stressful day of work.

“Wow! This is beautiful! Who gave it to you?” Krystal cried out, taking the bouquet Jessica was holding into her own hands.

“A friend,” Jessica noted, “Do we have a pretty vase at home, Krys? I want to display this.”

“Wait! Don’t move!” 

Jessica abruptly halted her motions upon her younger sister’s shout. A questionable look was glued on her face as she stared at her sister strangely.

“Sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen…” the younger girl began to count the stems, “twenty, twenty-one… twenty-one roses.”

Krystal’s eyes widened. She glared at her sister suspiciously with a smirk plastered on her face.

“Unnie, are you hiding something from me?”

“What are you talking about?” Jessica puzzled, not having any leads to what was going on.

“Twenty-one roses mean ‘I am devoted to you.’ The number of roses given bears different messages. Whoever this friend of yours is, he must be trying to confess something.” A creeper smile lit on Krystal’s face as she spun around and stared right into her sister’s eyes with much interest. “So tell me, who is this ‘friend’ of yours?”

Jessica, on the other hand, was on a knock out as it took her some time to process just exactly what Krystal had told her. She had heard of the stories behind the bouquets before but never had she paid any attention toward it. However, now this had suddenly become a different story.

“It’s probably nothing,” Jessica whispered as she wearily trailed into her room.

Persistency partnered with curiosity, allowing Krystal to chase her sister around in wonders of the giver’s identity.

“Come on, tell me. Who is it?” Krystal nudged Jessica on the side. “I’m getting more suspicious if you don’t tell m-”

“It’s Yuri. The only Kw-one Yuri. Happy now?” Jessica answered in Korean, then to English, throwing her dry humor on her friend’s name to emphasize her point.

Krystal stepped back, confusion storming into her mind. She looked at Jessica, then back at the flowers, then back at her sister. Krystal slightly tilted her head, scratching her scalp as her eye twitched.

“You’re right. Maybe it’s nothing.” 

Still bearing a questionable look, Krystal handed back the bouquet to her sister and left Jessica alone as she walked off to her room.

The older girl, on the other hand, went searching for a carrier suitable for the beautiful flowers.

Jessica roamed around various places in their small home, opening all the cabinets and going for any storage places she could reach to. 

“Twenty-one roses means ‘I am devoted to you.’ The number of roses given bears different messages. Whoever this friend of yours is, he must be trying to confess something.” 

However, it was difficult for her to fully concentrate on what she was doing. After all, what Krystal had said had meant something to her even if she had decided to brush it aside.

And because of that, a shrieking sound of glass soon came knocking Jessica out of her pensive train of thoughts. 

“Unnie!? What’s going on!?”

Krystal got up on her seat and abandoned all else to check on Jessica’s safety, sprinting toward where the crash had exploded from.

“Are you alright!?”

“I’m fine, but…”

Jessica bit her lower lip, facing back to the scattered fragments of the vase she had just found and knocked over soon after.

“We can always buy a new one,” Krystal comforted, patting her older sister’s shoulder to ease the girl’s disappointment. “I’ll go get a broom to clean this up.”

Jessica’s eyes had not ceased from looking mournfully at the fallen object. She extended a hand and reached for a chip of the shattered material. The moment she had made slight contact with its sharp tip, Jessica was forced to pull back her hand in reflex. 

Despite her aloof nature, it didn’t take her long to realize that blood had traced her wound.

☆★☆

“W-What do you want from me?” 

“Be quiet young lady or I’ll have to scar your pretty face.”

“Jiyeong, we should really get going.”

“Tch…okay. Take her.”

“Let me go!!” 

“Hey, throw me a drag and a blindfold.”

“Let mmph-!!”

Against five men, Victoria had no chance against their strength. Her flexibility was of no help when she had attempted to struggle her best out of the gang leader’s grip. Her screams had been silenced by the cloth stuffed in and her sight had been shadowed. Powerless, she continued to be dragged toward the van parked in the dark.

Someone help m-

“She said she want you to let her go.” 

A familiar voice disgustingly called out nearby. She knew who it was, and regretted it when she had called out for help, even if it was just mentally in her mind. Now, she would be in danger as well.

---

The scenario of Yuri’s anxiety had become an actuality. Yuri hopped of her motorbike and examined the situation from afar carefully before performing any heroic acts that could possibly get her killed and be at absolutely no help to the victim. After securing her presence behind a wall, she furtively pulled out her phone and rapidly tapped in some numbers. 

The signal was shortly picked up.

“112. What is your emergency?”

“Lurking gang members spotted. They are currently holding a victim captive. Location is at Kwon Enterprise,” Yuri briefly notified.

“Alright, we’ll send our team their immediately. Please wait aside and be cautious not to be noticed.”

Yuri ignored the last piece of advice, leaving that at the edge of concerns. She then put the call on hold (in order for a quicker tracking pace from the police department) and stealthily tucked her phone into her leather jacket.

Yuri had no weapon or any form of self protection. She had never been trained in martial arts and dancing definitely won’t be of use no matter how much evasiveness was applied. Even worse, heels were definitely not running materials. 

Despite the circumstances, Yuri stepped calmly into the scene, hands quivering and heart thumping.

---

“She said she want you to let her go.” 

Yuri’s voice rang loudly along the field, turning the heads of the knife-bearing criminals and vulnerable victim. 

“Now who might you be?” Jiyeong, the leader, bore a detestable smirk on his face. 

He didn’t look dangerous, although concerning how he had managed his whole gang to capture and injure several women was not something to be overlooked. 

Yuri kept her guard on high but was aware as not to show any sign of nervousness in her shaky voice.

“Did you not hear me? Let her go.” 

“Tch…Do you think I would listen to someone like you?” Jiyeong belittled, “Why don’t you come join us instead, and just make life easier, huh?” 

Yuri took a couple of steps forward. Her legs were already shivering from fear but she would not ever selfishly run away. Not when she knew Victoria would be in grave danger if she were to dash off with her tail between her legs. Everything was still under her control and all she got to do was stall some time.

“Let her go, you scumbag.”

The gang leader scoffed, tightening his arm around Victoria’s neck and left the older girl grunting in pain. 

“Get that girl.” 

“But, Jiyeong we-”

“I said get that girl! Now!”

He waved his pocket knife in the air and signaled to his followers, who followed obediently, but with much reluctance. Every single one of them had a similar weapon in hand full of threats, although they were not wielding it with confidence like their leader. 

Why?

Yuri gulped. She knew they were capable of hurting her. However, the oddity of the rest of Jiyeong’s followers had soon caught on to her.

“Several victims had been harassed, but fortunately, there are no serious cases as of yet.”

“What are you doing, fools!? Get her!” Jiyeong fiercely ordered again, his anger on his gang had loosened his hold on Victoria.

Victoria instantly took the chance and elbowed the young man right on his chin, leaving him weak on his knees as she scurried backward. Yuri watched in awe as Jiyeong groaned in pain with his bleeding gum and his panicked members, who had dropped their blades and came running to aid their boss.

Victoria threw aside the drag in and removed the blindfold as quick as she could. The minute she witnessed Jiyeong running and aiming his sharp weapon right for her, Victoria kicked off her heels and ran in any direction she could reach to.

“You b**h!” 

Without thinking anything through, Yuri tackled the young man to the ground and used all the strength she could to keep him down. She struggled for his weapon as arms painfully interlock, violently flailing left and right. 

His gang members scurried in panic, unsure of what would they could do to be of help in this situation. Panicking even further, one among the four picked up his dropped knife.

And eventually…injuries became inevitable.

===========================
Here's a heads up, from this chapters on, this will get more suspenseful AND more tangled AND more dramatic than ever, so be prepared. 
On the side note, I know some of you might have wanted to kill me for the tease about TaeNy's kiss...LOLOLOL Kiss scenes are so hard to write OTL
I would be answering questions tomorrow if anyone is confused by anything along the storyline so just go ahead and ask~
There were a lot going on in this chapter even though it's quite short (to my perspective).
I hope you enjoyed nevertheless~
See you all again!!
-June