Fiery

Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yugyeom's eye twitched.

 

He had been sitting in his laboratory seat for 3 hours, 2 of which his partner Doyeon would not stop shaking her leg for. He could tell she was extra restless about something, and not just her caffeine consumption taking an effect on her physiology.

 

"Doyeon can you knock it off? You're giving me anxiety," Yugyeom finally spoke up with an exasperated sigh and Doyeon only smiled sheepishly.

 

She had stayed up the whole night trying to delete every trace of her on the NIS database and trying to figure out how they had figured out Im Jaein's profile was deleted. Doyeon was sure she had done a clean job of clearing Jaein from all sources, but somehow NIS was aware of her digital presence.

 

"What the is wrong with you?" Yugyeom asked once again when he noticed that Doyeon was now sitting perfectly still in her seat, dazed.

 

"I'm gonna go home now," Doyeon announced, standing up abruptly from her seat and gathering her stuff into her tote bag. "Tell Dr. Park that I finished all my research for today, though."

 

"Okay?" Yugyeom responded, his eyebrows were raised in concern. "Are you sure you're going to be okay walking home? You're literally swaying in your spot right now."

 

"I'll be okay," Doyeon flashed him a grin and ran out of their lab. "Have a good rest of the day!"

 

Doyeon put her headphones over her ears as she began running towards the train station. Tapping her transit card at the entrance, she rushed down the stairs leading to her train. She had been debating on visiting Jooeun's villa for a bit now, and Doyeon figured that it was worth dropping by to see if there was any clue who might've taken Jooeun.

 

Boarding the train that pulled into the station, Doyeon stood by the doors, leaning on the bars that extended from the ground to the ceiling of the train car. Doyeon knew Jooeun wasn't the type to disappear on her randomly, and Doyeon had even texted Jooeun's parents in Canada to see if they had heard from her recently, to which they said that they had not. Jooeun's family weren't too concerned as to why Doyeon had asked, and she figured that it was for the best that she didn't let Jooeun's family know. If the NIS were investigating, they would probably let them know sooner or later.

 

Just 15 minutes later, Doyeon's eyes flickered up to the screen that confirmed she was at her destination. Hopping off the car, Doyeon rushed up the escalator and scrunched her eyes at the sunlight. It was 5PM, and the sun was beginning to set. That meant she had about 2 hours to look through Jooeun's apartment before she had to rush to work.

 

Shivering as the wind breezed through her hair, Doyeon cursed herself for only wearing a thin sweater in March. One thing she couldn't get used to in Korea was the extremely cold winters and extremely hot summers. She was lucky that Jooeun's villa was near the station, or else she probably would've frozen to death before she reached it.

 

Grabbing the spare key to Jooeun's unit from her wallet, Doyeon let herself in and paused.

 

Jooeun was rather picky about her space, which was why she and Doyeon did not share a place together. The former liked to keep her space tidy and organized, dusting the surfaces everyday and making her bed every morning. However, Doyeon threw everything everywhere, yet she usually knew where all her stuff was.

 

Looking at Jooeun's unit, Doyeon couldn’t help but frown. Although not a mess, Doyeon noticed that Jooeun's kitchen chairs have been shifted slightly from their original space and her rug had been rolled up slightly. Had Jooeun been home recently?

 

Moving to her room, Doyeon frowned even more. Jooeun's laptop was nowhere to be seen, which was concerning to Doyeon who wished to see the hardware in person as she couldn't find anything on the laptop when she had tried to hack into it. With a sigh, Doyeon looked through Jooeun's desk drawers to see if they held anything that could be use to her. Finding Jooeun's diary, Doyeon paused and pulled it out. With a light sigh, Doyeon sat on the edge of Jooeun's bed and flipped through the diary pages.

 

Would Jooeun mind if she had gone through this?

 

Though they were best friends, the two knew there were lines that were meant not to be crossed, and Doyeon was hesitant to peer into her friend's personal life. If Jooeun wanted to share anything with her, she would've, and Doyeon didn't want to find anything that her friend didn't want to share with her. However, figuring that it would be more important to find even the slightest hint on Jooeun's whereabouts, Doyeon flipped to the last page of Jooeun's diary.

 

A couple of words were crossed out from the page, and Doyeon could only make out a few words within the last few pages.

 

List.

 

Mansion.

 

Sokcho.

 

Not just girls.

 

Director Ji.

 

Manager?

 

Who's next…

 

Tell Jane.

 

Me?

 

Recover photos before.

 

Ask Doyeon to look into it after camp.

 

Doyeon couldn't understand a thing. What did Jooeun need to ask her about? And what camp? Was Jooeun at a camp right now?

 

Ripping the three pages that contained those words, Doyeon shoved them into her wallet and dropped it into her bag. She threw the diary on to the bed and began to search more into the drawers. Then, she stopped all her actions.

 

Doyeon's head snapped towards the door when she heard something clicking.

 

"Jooeun?" She called out, and peaked her head out her room.

 

Big mistake.

 

Doyeon her breath in when she met eyes with a built male, dressed in all black, his look completed by a black hat and a mask that covered most of his face, save for the small lettering tattoo that ran down from his eyes to his cheek. His dark eyes and his slightly ashy hair were the only thing visible about him, and Doyeon took a step back into Jooeun's room. She knew that he wasn't supposed to be here. And Doyeon knew— in his eyes, she wasn't supposed to be here either.

 

Quickly, she grabbed a box cutter out of her bag and held it close to her chest. Kicking her tote bag under Jooeun's bed, Doyeon leaned against the wall of Jooeun's room, behind the door and braced herself. She heard the shuffling of feet and hushed voices.

 

So it wasn't just one guy.

 

The only thought that went through Doyeon's mind was that she had to make it out of Jooeun's unit. After all, she did have a shift in less than two hours. Doyeon couldn't afford to lose the job. And she really didn't want to see Youngjae angry.

 

As the footsteps neared Jooeun's room, Doyeon's staggered breathing ceased, and she gulped. Call it adrenaline, but Doyeon could feel the energy— or coffee running through her veins. She pressed herself against the wall and gripped the knife tightly in her right hand. With a creak, the door pushed open lightly and Doyeon let the two men walk in slightly before she shoved past them and bolted for the door to Jooeun's unit.

 

Before she could make it, however, one of the two men grabbed her by her hair and yanked her back. With a yelp, Doyeon flailed her arm, attempting to slash at the men and kick at the same time. The one grabbing her by the collar let go, to Doyeon's surprise, and she realized that she did indeed cut him with her box cutter. She dropped to her feet and tried to run again, when she heard some unintelligible yelling.

 

"Keep her here."

 

That was the last thing she heard before she out, feeling the hardness of a lamp hit her in the head.

 

.

 

Youngjae was going to be so pissed.

 

 

Mark tapped his feet impatiently as he waited for Bambam to load the data off of Jaein's phone. Jaebum was pacing back and forth in their room, and Mark couldn't take it anymore. Pulling Sooah's vacant chair out of her desk space, Mark grabbed Jaebum by his shoulders and shoved him into the seat.

 

"The phone's not under her name," Bambam announced as he came back with his laptop. "It's under a certain Ji Wonsan, male, 51."

 

"Why would my sister have some old man's phone?"

 

"This is where it gets interesting," Sooah murmured as she stood by the team. "Ji Wonsan is one of the directors of Koreana Entertainment."

 

"Kim Jooeun's company?" Mark asked, his eyes furrowed. "I guess we got our connection. But how would Jaein have his phone?"

"It looks like the phone is just under his name, but Jaein actually did use it," Bambam answered. "Jaebum, you never mentioned your sister is an idol trainee."

 

"She's—what?!"

 

Mark gripped Jaebum by his shoulders as he stood behind him, trying to calm his brother down.

 

"What the do you mean, Bam?" Jaebum asked, grabbing his hair by bulk. "She's a business student at Ewha, I've visited her on campus so many times."

 

"I think she is enrolled as a student there, but I don't think she's been attending lectures for quite a bit," Bambam murmured, eyeing Jaebum cautiously. "Like 2 years, kinda bit."

 

The poor boy knew not to get near an anxious Jaebum.

 

"Looking through her texts, it seems that she's been a trainee at Koreana for quite a bit— 2 years, actually."

 

"You've got to be ting me," Jaebum groaned. "She's been hiding this from me all along?"

 

"What about the other two missing people? Neither of their friends nor family mentioned anything about the entertainment industry," Mark piped up, grimacing.

 

"They could have not known like me," Jaebum replied darkly. "."

 

"We gotta go check out the company," Mark spoke softly, already searching the entertainment company up on his phone GPS.

 

"Just one more thing," Bambam called before Mark and Jaebum could turn away fully. "There was one search that was overwhelmingly frequent in Jaein's phone."

 

Bambam turned his laptop to face the team, including Chief Go who had returned from his meeting with the higher-ups.

 

Mark narrowed his eyes at the single word that filled up the whole screen.

 

Pandora.

 

"She's been searching 'Pandora' up since February, at least 6 times a day for everyday of the month."

 

"I'm going to buy this girl a whole ing charm bracelet when I find her, goddammit," Jaebum muttered, gritting his teeth. "Do you have any idea what it could mean? I'm sure she's not concerned about the jewelry brand."

 

Bambam only shrugged.

 

"We'll let you guys know if we find any leads," Bambam murmured. "Her phone's clean otherwise, though. Photo library is full of selfies with people who I'm assuming are other trainees, and some from a beach or something."

 

"Her contacts seem to be full of people from the company too," Sooah added, taking a seat. "I guess the phone was for the industry. The phone you're used to seeing was probably her personal phone."

 

"Which is nowhere to be found," Jaebum said. "Thanks guys. We'll update you after we talk to the company."

 

Jaebum and Mark jogged to the elevators, and stayed silent on the way down. When they reached Mark's car, Jaebum only let out a big sigh.

 

"How could she not tell me that she was a trainee?"

 

"Maybe she was shy," Mark offered, glancing at Jaebum who kept smacking his head on the car window. "Stop that, it cost me a fortune to tint those dammed windows."

 

Jaebum pouted at Mark, then leaned his seat back. He closed his eyes and Mark turned up the classical music playing from his phone. He knew that Jaebum barely got any sleep last night. The pair had gone through all the CCTVs detailing the stairs, elevators, and the streets around Jaein's apartment, yet they couldn't find a trace of the intruder. Just small flashes of a black figure. Mark had put his eyes to rest in the office, but Jaebum had spent the whole night up, rewinding and rewinding through all the videos 20 times each.

 

Mark made sure to drive smoothly to ensure his partner slept through the whole drive, yet kept a fast pace on the road. The sooner they could find Jaein and the others, the faster Jaebum would be relaxed. In less than half an hour, Mark reached his destination and once he parked safely in front of the entertainment company, he shook Jaebum awake. The dark haired agent yawned loudly and set his seat back to normal.

 

"We here?"

 

Mark nodded as they exited the car and looked up at the grand building in front of them.

 

"Doesn't look shady," Mark murmured and Jaebum only grunted.

 

"Trashy place," he responded and Mark snorted. "Why else would she have to hide her company phone in a ing pot?"

 

The two walked up to the glass doors, which was guarded by two very intimidating men. Of course, Mark and Jaebum always dealt with trouble so they weren't very fazed. The two guards looked the two agents up and down and grunted.

 

They look like thugs, Mark thought, yet still smiled politely at them.

 

"ID?" One of the two thugs asked, recognizing that Mark and Jaebum did not belong to the company, and the two flashed their badges at each of the guards.

 

"We're from the National Intelligence Service," Mark started, allowing the two guards to take a look at his badge. "We'd like to talk to Director Ji, if possible."

 

The guards only shrugged at each other, and the one standing on the left of the big glass doors led Mark and Jaebum into the building. The other kept his post, yet stole glances at the two as they walked past him through the doors.

 

The lobby of the company looked very grand. There was a large chandelier dangling from the ceiling, and two escalators lead up to the second floor, next to an extravagant fountain. The security guard led Mark and Jaebum to the receptionist table an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter