A Smile's Worth

A Smile's Worth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My father was an only child so when both my parents died due to an unfortunate car crash, my aunt from my mother's side took the liberty to take me in her household. She treated and loved me like her own.

I wanted to give her a genuine smile to express that I'm happy and thankful that she's there. But what happened to my parents made the world black and white. And the transition of having to leave China to live with them in Seoul, my mother's hometown, was making it more difficult.

I surely am going to miss the place where I lived in since birth. It holds so much precious memories of my family. But I needed to let go and open a new chapter of my life.

Life must go on.

---

I am now a university student and I've been the same since I was back then. Lonely.

In front of my aunt and cousins, I could fake a smile since they were the family who took me in when I lost mine. I value them as much as my late mother and father. For others outside the family, it's different. I don't need to show them any emotions. They can't even relate to what I truly feel.

That's what I thought. Not until I saw him. A classmate whom I thought had the most genuine smile, whose dimples show the extent of happiness he felt.

He was just like me. An only child and had lost both of his parents due to an accident, but unlike me who lost them when I was young, he lost them last week. I know how he felt. I had been there. I was also like that. Still am.

After music class, he would always be at that same corner of the library just staring into a book. He wasn't reading it. I know because the book wasn't opened. I would see him read the book sometimes but most of the time, he would just stare at it. I could see him clearly from where I'm sitting at in our club room.

It just so happens that his shift as the librarian assistant was the same as my vacant time and the only time, I could make new pieces for the poet club in the club room.

I am not a stalker or anything, but from that day on, I started having interest into staring at him. I would gaze at the library from our club room every time I was there which was after music class. It was like watching myself back when I was five.

But I do envy him. He has a lot of support system. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter