The Second Wish

porcelain wishes

 “I noticed this before,” Bokuto speaks as he places his coffee cup on the table, “But you don’t like eating breakfast, do you?”

        Akaashi shrugs. “It’s not that I don’t like to; it’s that I can’t.”

        “Eat breakfast?” Kuroo says jokingly, grinning before swallowing a spoonful of his cereals.

        “Eat anything,” replies the genie.

        Bokuto tilts his head, curiosity written all over his face.

        “Huh?”

        “I may look like you but I’m not exactly like you.”

        When the three friends continue staring at him, Akaashi sighs and explains. “There are many differences between humans and genies in human form. For one, we don’t have a stomach that can hold food. If I eat, there’s nothing inside my body that can store or process what I consume. The food might either get thrown up or, I don’t know, maybe I can poop and they’ll come out looking exactly the same as when I ate them.”

        “Thanks for the mental picture.” Tsukishima says disgustedly, putting his spoon back to his bowl.

        “Or they might just be trapped and wiggle inside my body while I move.”

        “How are there so many possibilities?” Bokuto asks.

        “Because I’m not sure what will actually happen.”

        “You never tried?”

        “Well, there’s really no need for it since I don’t get hungry; and, we’ve been told there will be adverse effects.”

        “You’re not much for taking risks, are you?” Tsukishima states while putting the dishes in the sink.

        “Oh, I take risks, alright.” Akaashi says. He places his elbow on the table and props his chin on his palm.

        “Just not ones that would affect you.” Tsukishima says matter-of-factly and leans his back against the kitchen counter.

        The genie just raises his brow and smiles.

 


 

        “Latte for Akaashi.” Bokuto calls out with raised voice. The called man heads over to the coffee shop’s counter to get his order.

        The genie had asked Bokuto if he could come with to his workplace since, as he reasoned, he’d been “in that house for hundreds of years and he’s tired of its same old boring interior.” Besides, Kuroo and Tsukki were preparing things they need for the beach later, he’d just be a nuisance. Kuroo came up with the idea earlier that week, saying it’s a way to commemorate whatever it is that they’re starting. It was supposed to be for a whole day but Bokuto was asked to cover for a Sunday shift just this morning. Because of their hectic schedule, they decided to just proceed with the plan and go to the beach in the afternoon. It’s the perfect time for a swim, anyway. When the sun’s not too hot and most people would be dispersing.

        When Akaashi gets back to his table, he sets the cup down and looks at the drink Bokuto made him. The human specifically asked him to order a latte so he can at least practice his latte art. Most of their customers prefer blended beverages so Kotaro doesn’t get many chances to make latte art despite enjoying it.

        The genie furrows his brows. He can’t quite figure out what Bokuto designed his drink with. It’s just a shaded figure, a little rounded at the top and then a long, straight line from the rounded thingy down. It kinda looks like a balloon with a really thick string. Oh well, Akaashi thinks. It’s not like I have to drink it. He leans back to the cushion and continues watching the people outside the window.

 


The Second Wish

        Akaashi is lying down on the picnic blanket (which was the only thing he helped with) while the three runs back-and-forth from the car to get their other stuff. The genie has excused himself from the strenuous task by spouting some bull reason about how his body has yet to adapt considering that he had been a vase until just a few weeks ago.

        “I mean, if you really want my help, then you can just wish for it.” Akaashi says knowing that it’s out of the question.

        Once they’re done setting up, Bokuto pulls Akaashi up by the hand and runs off to the sea with him. He’s been waiting to swim since Kuroo brought the idea up!

 

 

        “It’s pretty late.” Kuroo says and looks up at the sky. It’s a little over 5pm when they arrived and the sun is bound to set in a few. The beach is mostly empty, save for the groups of teens and young adults who are probably waiting for the nightlife to begin.

        “Can’t be helped,” replies Tsukishima. Unlike Kuroo, he’s looking at the sea ahead of them. “Bokuto’s boss is a .”

        Truly, who asks someone to work on their day off by calling at the break of dawn!?

        “And that fool loves his job too much.” Kuroo smirks. He, too, is looking ahead now. They watch as their friend guides the genie further into the sea. Even from afar, they know he’s elated.

        Tsukishima fishes two bottles of beer from the ice box and hands Kuroo one after opening them. Despite being the ones who first decided to go to the beach, they’re not really too keen to swim.

        For Tsukishima, he just loves the view and the feeling that the sea brings, especially at this time of day. He likes how his mind is quiet in spite of the bustling around him, like there’s nothing to think about. Like the only thing that matters is that he is here. Furthermore, as a glasses-wearer, swimming is a pain in the .

        For Kuroo, on the other hand, he just suggested the idea because he saw Tsukishima by the pool and thought that his friend might like it.

 

 

        Tsukishima is on his third bottle and Kuroo, on his fourth, when the latter’s attention absent-mindedly drifts from the sea to the blond beside him. He watches as Kei pushes his glasses back and takes a small sip of his drink. Around them, the sunset paints the beach a magnificent shade of orange with a slight touch of what seems to be pink.

        “It’s beautiful.” Tsukishima doesn’t realize he’s smiling.

        “Yea,” whispers Kuroo. “It is.”

 


 

        “What are we, middle schoolers?” Tsukishima opposes when Bokuto suggested that they play spin the bottle.

        “Come on, it’ll be fun!” Bokuto tries to get him on board but Tsukishima just looks at him, unspeaking. The older sighs, dejectedly. “Then, should we just pack up?”

        The blond thinks for a moment. The weather is still nice and there’s nothing for him to do at home. It’s also rare for the three of them to come to such a place. Before he knows it, he ends up agreeing to the childish plan.

        “Akaashi.” Kuroo pulls the genie aside. Tsukishima discreetly follows them with his gaze. He can’t really hear what they’re saying, but looks away when Kuroo leans in to Akaashi.

        “Tch.”

 

       

        “What will you wish for?” Bokuto asks when the bottle points to Tsukishima.

        “I already did wish.”

        “The house, I know. But you have one more, right?” Bokuto confirms. “Or did you already use it?”

        “Not yet.” Tsukki turns to Akaashi. “You won’t grant it yet even if I say it out loud right?”

        “I won’t,” assures the genie.

        “Then,” Tsukishima starts. He’s actually thought of this for days now. He just figures that, since Akaashi seems to be enjoying his time in his current form, he won’t make it yet so his two friends can make their wishes anytime they want and Akaashi won’t have to worry about turning back into a vase so quickly. His second wish can wait, anyway. “I might wish for a better eyesight so I don’t have to wear glasses anymore.”

        “Weren’t you complaining about wearing glasses since forever?” Kuroo chimes in. “Why don’t you just wish for it right now?”

        Nobody notices how rapidly Akaashi turns his head to look at Kuroo, his expression stricken. Nobody except for Tsukki.

 

       

        “Tell us your most embarrassing experience.” Akaashi says. Kuroo takes a swig of his beer as a certain memory comes to mind. All the years he spent trying to push it back proves useless. Stupid game.

        “In elementary school,” he begins after gathering enough courage. “There was this kid, Watanabe Kaito, who would go around bullying other kids with his friend. They weren’t really targeting me but I just got tired of watching it happen around me so I stood up to them when they were attacking a classmate.”

        “That’s not embarrassing at all.”

        “And then,” Kuroo continues, paying no mind to the side comment. If he stops speaking, he might not be able to open up about this ever again. “Come gym class and there was a foul smell when we opened our lockers. No one knows where it was coming from, and I didn’t really care so I just ignored it and changed into my gym attire.”

        The other three look at the speaking man intently. They’re engrossed and trying to form guesses in their mind regarding how the story might end.

        “When we get to the gym, the teacher immediately excused me and told me to change. Turns out, there’s on the back of my gym shorts.”

        “As in actual ?”

        Kuroo nods.

        “Like poop ?”

        Kuroo nods again. “I was called Poo-roo for the rest of the school year.”

        “What the .” Kei is the first to react. He’s having a hard time comprehending that that kind of thing actually happened to Kuroo. That’s just too much! Even the worst of bullies in his elementary couldn’t have possible pulled off, let alone think of, something like that!

        “That’s messed up.” Bokuto taps Tetsurou gently on the back. “It must’ve been hard for you to tell us that.

        Kuroo just smiles.

        “Pfft... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Unlike the other two, Akaashi bursts out laughing when the story finally sinks in his mind. “Poo– HAHAHAHA Poo-ro–... HAHAHAHA!” He even clutches his abdomen with one hand and points at Kuroo with the other.

        The pointed man looks at the genie, dumbfounded, mouth slightly agape, while his friends’ gazes are sharp. It’s Tsukishima who hits the back of the genie’s head to stop him from laughing.

        “What?” Akaashi whines, hand flying to the spot Tsukki just hit.

        “Your lack of emotional intelligence is truly astounding.”

        Tetsurou chuckles and drinks the last of his beer. “Well, it is pretty funny.” His laughter grows louder.

        Soon enough, four distinct laughter dance with the evening seabreeze.

 


 

        It’s half-past ten when they finally come home. Bokuto has forced Akaashi to help him put their stuff away since Kuroo and Tsukki did all the preparations earlier.

        Kuroo heads to the poolside to check something, and smiles as he takes his slippers off. Unbeknownst to the man, his friend is trailing behind him.

        “I’m not that drunk, am I?” The blond asks, failing to believe the sight before him.

        Kuroo turns to look at him. “No.” He can’t take the smile off his face. Indeed, he thinks, Tsukishima looks most beautiful in the sunset.

        “But it’s evening.” Tsukishima takes his glance away from the view and meets Kuroo’s eyes. “How?”

        The black-haired man sits down on the sand and taps the space beside him, inviting Kei.

        Kuroo had known what his first wish was going to be the moment Tsukishima pushed his glasses back this afternoon.

        Tsukishima gasps a little when he sees the sand beneath their feet, and sits down after realizing something. Of course. Nothing is impossible.

 

       

        Their peace is ruined when Tetsurou’s phone rings.

        “I already told you I can’t.” Kuroo doesn’t move away when he picks up.

        His tone is guarded as he speaks. “I don’t think it’ll change... Whatever, do what you want...” He sighs. “Fine, I’ll tell you if... Okay. I’m hanging up.”

        A “tsk” comes out of the man’s mouth when he puts his phone back in his pocket.

        Tsukishima wants to ask but decides not to. It’s not in his character to cross a line... even when said line doesn’t really exist. His face must’ve given him away, though, because one look at him and Kuroo says, “It’s an old friend. She’s asking If I’d changed my mind regarding the reunion.”

        “Reunion?”

        “Elementary school.”

        Kei’s brow raises.

        “They’re trying to raise funds for some school facility.”

        “Let’s go.” Tsukki says and Kuroo looks at him questioningly.

        “You’re allowed to bring a plus-one, right? Take me with you.” Tsukishima smiles to himself, rather menacingly. Sorry, Akaashi. He can’t save his wish for last, after all.