two

godspeed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yena hated Wednesdays.

 

Mondays has always been a struggle, and so are Tuesdays. But there’s something quite off with Wednesdays that she had always despised; whether it was because it signified the middle of a never-ending week or whether it was due to the fact that she had to endure a physical education class at the first half of the day, Yena hadn’t quite figured out just yet why. 

 

All she knew was she avoided the changing room mirrors, for either reasons had made her look more or less dead. She didn’t need a reminder of how she felt about Wednesdays.

 

“Are you going to try for cheer squad this year? I heard the captain’s been impeached so the standards are pretty low seeing as the new cheer captain can’t exactly raise the bar.” As always, Seulgi knew how to fill the void for the most mundane times. Her giggle was contagious enough to curl Yena’s lips. “She can’t exactly raise the standards, or else she’ll be disqualified too.” 

 

While judging people was never really in Yena’s books, admittedly she found it entertaining. She would be lying if she said otherwise. “I don’t know.” Yena shrugged, pulling down her hoodie over her head. “I’d be pretty damn useless. I know that for sure.” 

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes. If there was one thing Yena knew how to do well, it was how to water herself down. “I heard there’s a circus opening up in town and they’re looking for clowns.” Whilst Yena had flaws, Seulgi had made it a point that if there is anyone out there that could embody the definition of an ideal person, it would be Yena. Though, there is no denying that being one of her friends meant she was biased. 

 

Sure enough breaking up with one of the popular guys just before starting university could diminish any self confidence, but Yena had a handful of admirers. Seulgi wasn't quite sure who, or even begin to name one, but she was certain she had caught a few guys staring at her best friend today and during the induction day. Who could blame them? Yena's the perfect proportion: she wasn't skinny nor curvaceous, but she had volume at the right parts and to add to that, she had a weird standoffish charm that separated her from the others. She's the cool girl next door. She's what Seulgi aspires to be. 

 

For a short while, silence took over from their normal chit chat. Seulgi knew that it had only been a few days since Yena decided to cut things off with Chanyeol and empathised with her. It’s too early for her to suggest moving on and quite frankly, this is Seulgi’s first encounter with a heartbroken friend. No matter how nearest and dearest Yena is considered, Seulgi simply had no clue. “Here.” She tossed her makeup bag on Yena’s lap. “I know you’re worried Chan’s going to see you on the field and seeing as you can’t escape P.E., you might as well look good.” 

 

She had a good point. Yena knew that.

 

The weight of Seulgi’s makeup bag felt absent in Yena’s hands. Her senses had been void throughout this week. By far, being disassociated, as though her limbs were never hers nor her mind, has been the most vexing thing. She could barely recognise which makeup tool is which. 

 

Assuming she was hesitant, Seulgi huffed. She gently pried the bag off Yena and sat on the bench opposing her. “Here.” Pulling out her cosmetics, Seulgi began to apply it on Yena considerately. “So when the sun hits your face, you’ll be glowing to the gods.” 

 

“Won’t I sweat this off?” Yena frowned a little.

 

Seulgi clucked her tongue. “My makeup is too expensive for it to be removed just like that.” She was an expert, or at least compared to Yena, she is. So there was no questioning what Seulgi and her products could and couldn’t do. “Besides, I’d rather the world know Nam Yena’s glowing because she’s pretty rather than the truth.” 

 

Yena’s lips thinned. “What truth?”

 

“That you’ve been a massive crybaby.” That was let out unintentionally. Seulgi clamped shut. Her thoughts happened to materialise as a passing answer by accident, completely uncalled for. She held her breath in fear that Yena would be too sensitive, choosing to pack her makeup in a rush instead of speaking more. God knows what else would come out of her unfiltered mouth. But Yena just snorted.

 

“Yeah, I guess I have been.” Seulgi’s discomfort was obvious. Yena wasn’t going to exacerbate the situation when she wasn’t exactly wrong. “I guess that happens when your prince charming happens to like butlers instead of princesses.”

 

Seulgi's eyes softened. Joking about situations was one of Yena's defense mechanisms. It always has been. She supposes that was a lot easier than being stuck in a savage rut that endlessly reminded her how Chanyeol would never reciprocate her feelings again. That is, of course, if he ever did to begin with. Seulgi can't be the judge of that. After all, Chanyeol was just as much as a friend to her as Yena is and throughout their time together, not once has the gentle giant mistreated Yena until recently. 

 

“I guess you really do have to kiss a couple of frogs before you get to kiss the one.” This time Yena rolled her eyes. Seulgi breathily laughed. “Let’s hope not.”

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter