Chapter 1

Shock to the System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Waiting in a ridiculously long line at the mall is just about the last way Chorong wants to spend her Saturday. She’d much rather be at home or the park or at least walking the mall. There’s just about a million other things Chorong would rather be doing, but she isn’t here for herself. She glances down at Hayoung, already so tall for her six years, as she bounces on her toes and tries to catch a glimpse of the reason they’re here.

 

About two weeks ago, Hayoung had shoved a flyer in Chorong’s face and said with all the seriousness a child could muster, “We have to go.” The flyer announced a fansign event being held at their local mall for a famous soccer player. It’d taken Chorong only a split second to recognize her. Jeong Eunji smiled up at her from the flyer, and Chorong had fought the urge to sigh. 

 

Ever since she was old enough to understand what soccer even is, Hayoung has been obsessed. Chorong has no idea where her daughter got this from, considering Chorong still doesn’t really understand it, but she tries to support Hayoung however she can. That means cuddling on their couch for hours while they watch games together, buying Hayoung her own soccer ball and soccer merchandise, and signing her up for the local kids’ team. Hayoung is always so passionate about it, absorbing whatever she can, and Chorong would never want to discourage her from something she truly enjoys.

 

There’s just one thing, one person, Chorong wishes she could convince Hayoung to drop. About two years ago, a new player had joined the national’s women’s team, and suddenly she's all Hayoung could talk about. Suddenly, it isn't just soccer that Hayoung talks all day about. It's soccer and Jeong Eunji. 

 

Normally, Chorong would love that Hayoung found another strong woman to look up to. She’ll be the first to admit that it gets stressful being Hayoung’s only role model, but that doesn’t mean she wanted this. When Hayoung first mentioned Jeong Eunji, Chorong had been quick to do her research on the player. The young woman is an amazing player. There is no way to deny that, but it's everything else Chorong found that's the problem.

 

Jeong Eunji is an unapologetic playgirl. 

 

Article after article popped up about this and that person that the soccer player was seen with. She never hid who she was with or what they were doing. It was like a neverending revolving door of people that seemed to come in and out of Eunji’s life. While Chorong couldn’t exactly begrudge someone for living their life the way they wanted, this wasn’t the kind of thing she wanted her daughter seeing. Thankfully, Hayoung is still young and only really cares about soccer. For all the gossip on Jeong Eunji, Hayoung’s eyes always zoom right past that and onto the news about her latest game.

 

That’s probably the only reason why Chorong has let this idolization of Jeong Eunji go on for as long as it has. Hayoung only knows and cares about how Eunji plays soccer. The rest means nothing to her, and as long as it stays that way, Chorong won’t voice her own thoughts.

 

However, now that they’re less than ten people away from meeting, Chorong feels her doubts creeping up again. Who is Jeong Eunji? From the interviews she’s watched with Hayoung, she’s a borderline cocky woman who’s just as charming as she is blunt. Does she know how to handle a young fan? What if Eunji says something that breaks Hayoung’s heart? Chorong wonders if it’s possible to sue someone for something like that.

 

“Look, mom!” Hayoung whispers to her excitedly, tugging on her hand so that Chorong follows where she’s not-so-subtly pointing. “There she is!”

 

Less than a hundred feet from where they’re standing is Jeong Eunji in all her glory. She’s wearing her jersey with a pair of jeans, long hair falling over her shoulders prettily. Talented, gorgeous, and famous. It’s no wonder she has women and men alike falling all over her, Chorong thinks.

 

“Yes, I see,” Chorong replies dutifully. “Do you know what you’re going to say to her?”

 

“Yeah, I’m gonna tell her I totally saw how she botched one of her passes last week,” Hayoung says.

 

Chorong does a double-take at her daughter. She tugs her closer to her and hisses, “Hayoung, you are not going to say that to her. That’s rude.”

 

“Fine,” Hayoung wrinkles her nose. “Then I’ll tell her how I’m gonna beat her and be the best winger ever.”

 

It’s still not entirely polite, but knowing Hayoung, that’s about as good as Chorong is going to get. She closes her eyes for a moment before looking at Hayoung and saying, “Just remember your manners, alright? Or no ice cream after this.”

 

“Okay,” Hayoung says. She’s pouting, but it only lasts for a minute before they’re moving up in line and the excitement comes back. She squeezes Chorong’s hand tightly and asks so softly that Chorong has to lean in to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter