Chapter 1

Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

3 years after…

 

Kang Seulgi buried herself in paperworks. When she was given the opportunity to be head curator in one of the top art museums in Seoul, she knew that it was a lot of work. But she didn’t expect it to be physically and emotionally draining.

 

It had been 3 years since she started working in this museum and at first, she just wanted to meet as many people in the art world. She always wanted to have her own exhibit and she had been painting her whole life, but after internship, she became an assistant curator. In 2 years, she became the head curator. And now, there had been rumors that she was going to be the next museum director since the current one was going to migrate in the USA in 2 months.

 

Seulgi’s career moved way too fast but she had always proved to everyone that she was capable and efficient in everything that she did. Every promotion was something she worked hard for. She had dedicated 3 years of her life to the museum and no one could ever question her work ethic.

 

Yet she could feel the pressure. She hadn’t slept a wink last night as she was glued to her laptop and phone, contacting artists, shipment companies, advertisers, etc. Most of the art that were going to be exhibited were from American and European artists and time zone difference had been messing up Seulgi’s body clock.

 

“Miss Kang, are you okay?” Kim Yeri, the intern asked as she placed a cup of coffee on Seulgi’s desk. It was Seulgi’s 5th cup of the day and it was only 3pm.

 

“I couldn’t track the paintings from the Swedish artist. He said that he had it shipped 2 days ago and now we couldn’t find it.” Seulgi explained in panic, making Yeri worry. This wasn’t the Kang Seulgi she knew. Kang Seulgi was the definition of grace under pressure. She was calm and efficient. But the Kang Seulgi in front of her had dark circles under her eye and had barely brushed her hair.

 

“You look miserable.” Kim Yeri said tactlessly. She immediately covered with her hand, apologized repeatedly before running out of Seulgi’s office. Her words echoed in Seulgi’s mind and she couldn’t help but recall what happened 3 years ago.

 

“When you’re alone and miserable, I hope you’ll remember this moment when chose your dream over your happiness.”

 

Seulgi closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She closed her laptop and gathered all papers, placing them inside an envelope. She took her phone and called the person she needed the most.

 

“Hey Wendy! I think I need a vacation.” Seulgi said.

 

“Sis! Finally! You’ve been working non-stop for 3 years. You deserve a long vacation.” Wendy, her step-sister said.

 

“I’m just going to speak to my boss and I’m heading there in the café. Let’s plan a trip together, okay? It’s been a while since we went out together.” Seulgi said as she grabbed her bag and walked out of her office.

 

“Seul, there’s something I didn’t get to tell you. Promise me you won’t be mad.” Wendy begged.

 

“My God, Wendy! Did you get back together with Mark? Why would you do that? He’s a commitment-phobe who will just waste your time.” Seulgi guessed.

 

“No! I haven’t talked to him in a month since I broke up with him.” Wendy clarified. “I’m not in the café. In fact, I haven’t been in the café for 2 weeks. Remember when you told me that you went on a trip 3 years ago and it was such a magical moment for you? Guess what? I’m in Jeju!” Wendy added.

 

“That’s good to hear, sis. I’m thrilled you’re finally doing some boyfriend-detoxification. It’s been 10 years for you and Mark, Wends. I’m glad you’re living a life without a man. Why did you think I’ll be mad?” Seulgi asked.

 

“I love you, my Ddeulgi. But I’m getting married!”

 

 

“Seulgi! I’m here!” Joy Park, Seulgi and Wendy’s bestfriend, as she pulled her bag across the airport. As soon as Seulgi heard that her step-sister was getting married, she called Joy and booked their flights to Jeju.

 

“She’s still not answering?” Joy asked when she noticed Seulgi repeatedly dialing Wendy’s number.

 

“I swear to God! Wendy Son! I’m going to kill you when I see you!” Seulgi said to her phone as if it was Wendy.

 

“Seul, calm down. She’s probably letting you cool down your hot head before she could answer your questions.” Joy tried to pacify.

 

“Calm down? My sister who just gotten out of a 10-year relationship, is now getting married to a man she just met 2 weeks ago. How can I calm down?” Seulgi asked Joy. She was started to develop a headache.

 

“Seul, listen to me, okay? Ever since your mom and Wend

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter