TRESPASS

Rooftop Monsters [MONSTA X x IU]

"Jieun! Jieun-ah!"

A loud knock on the door by Jieun's landlady woke her up. She grabbed her phone under her pillow and checked the time. It's 6:45 AM.

She burried herself under her sheets deeper, ignoring her landlady. It's still too early for her to socialize to other people and she usually starts socializing around noon.

"JIEUN-AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Jieun groaned, covering her ears, but she can still hear her knocking.

"LEE JIEUN-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

"Aish~~!!" Jieun kicked her blanket off her, rolling around her bed and throwing a mute tantrum. After a couple of moments of letting out her frustrations, she grabbed her blanket on the floor and wrapped it around her.

She took a deep breath, trying to hide her annoyance before opening the door.

"Yes, Ms. Baek?" Jieun croaked.

"You have to move out," Ms. Baek demanded.

Reply 1988 - AsianWiki

Jieun squinted her eyes at Ms. Baek, focusing first on her perm, and then at her face. She looked pissed and excited at the same time. She's the only person who can do this kind of face, really.

"What?" Jieun asked, her mind still pretty blurry.

"Someone new already owns this place," Ms. Baek answered.

This place.

Suddenly, reality hit Jieun.

Today's her last day in this place-- her home.

She can't live here anymore. She used to live at this rooftop apartment with her mom. But she died 6 months ago because of leukemia. Jieun's mom was a real estate agent, and she used to earn a pretty good amount of money. But now that she's gone, Jieun can't pay the rent of this decent place all by herself anymore, she has been taking part time jobs these past months just to pay for her uni, she can't afford renting a big place on her own. 

"Jieun!" Ms. Baek snapped her fingers in front of Jieun's face. "The new owners are already here."

"WHAT??" Jieun dropped her blanket on the floor. "But—"

Before she could even argue with Ms. Baek, she noticed seven tall boys standing behind her.

The first thing that came to her mind is: Am I wearing a bra?

Jieun quickly grabbed her blanket from the floor and wrapped it again around her.

It's still pretty dark and they are wearing facemasks and caps so she can't see their faces clearly even if she squint and stare back at them closely.

"Jieun-ah," suddenly, she felt Ms. Baek held her hand in a motherly way. She put her other hand on top of Jieun's, her face now has already softened. She smiled at Jieun kindly, "I know that you still don't have a place to move in to, but these beautiful boys offered to pay their first three months in cash. You know that I can't say no to that..."

Jieun nodded. Ms. Baek seems like a tough ahjumma, but her only kryptonite is the word cash. She's like a female Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Squarepants.

"You have until noon to move out your stuff," Ms. Baek went on.

"You don't have to rush, we don't have much furniture ourselves. There's really nothing much for us to move in," one of the guys said, but Jieun really can't tell which one of them did since they are all wearing masks.

Jieun ignored him and looked at Ms. Baek. "Ajhumma, I don't have any place to go. Where will I put my stuff? Where will I live?"

"Ji—"

"Can you two talk about this inside or something?" another voice came from behind Ms. Baek.

"Yeah. It's freezing here, aigoo..." this time, one of the boys took off his mask, giving Jieun a big smile even though he just said that he's freezing and he's literally covered in snow.

"Ah yeah yeah, I'm sorry," Ms. Baek clapped her hands together, pushing Jieun aside and entering the house. "Come in, come in," she told them.

Jieun stumbled behind her, whacking her brain if she has any underwear hanging around the place or something.

Ms. Baek the lights, and started wiping the floor. "You can sit here, aigoo-yah," she told them, pulling one of the boys' hand.

Now that Jieun's mom is gone, this two bedroom rooftop apartment is already too big for her. She even already sold almost half of their stuff like pieces of furniture and appliances just so she could have extra money. She made so many memories here with her Mom. She thought she still got time, but now she can't even have the chance to say goodbye to her house for the last time.

Suddenly she felt her face became hot. She was doing a great job about not crying for two months now, but she just can't control her tears. She turned her back on them while they are settling on the floor and wiped her eyes with the blanket that is still wrapped around her.

When she turned around, all of the new boys have already taken off their caps and masks.

And aigoo... she thought.

They all look so... pretty.

No the word "pretty" would be underrated.

Is there any word for sunshines, and rainbows, and spring flowers combined?

"Aigoo-yah, look at all of you. You all look so beautiful," Ms. Baek took the words out of Jieun.

The boy who took off his mask first a while ago, now showing his brown hair, is still smiling at Jieun.

While the pink haired boy beside him scratched the back of his head, blushing a bit. "Thank you Ahjumma," he bowed at her politely.

Ms. Baek looked at Jieun. "They are singers," she told her excitedly.

The boy beside the pink haired one smiled shyly and scratched his chin, "We're still trainees." He corrected her politely.

Ms. Baek looked at him with heart eyes, as she laughed primly, covering . "Oh sorry sorry," she told him, patting his leg. Then she turned her glance back at Jieun, "They are training to be singers at the entertainment company few blocks away from here. Their company called me last night and chose the rooftop as their dorm."

Wow. They're still aren't debuting as idols but they already look so goodJieun thought to herself. They're good looking AND will get my rooftop? That's so unfair. She kept on thinking, glaring at the boys and Ms. Baek in front of her. 

"Come here Jieun-ah, let's make a deal" she patted the space between her and a blue haired boy who looks at bit scary-- because unlike his friends, he's pokerfaced, looking like he's not giving any s about what's going on around him. When he noticed Jieun looking at him he avoided her gaze and looked away.

Jieun walked towards her direction and sat beside her, leaving an inch of space between her and blue boy. 

"There's a vacant room downstairs, you can use it," Ms. Baek started. "But... it's not for free. You can pay the usual rent monthly, or, you can give me your appliances and furniture in exchange for living there without ever paying the rent."

She looked around at her almost empty apartment and sighed, biting her lip.

She was left with no choice. It's either she takes Ms. Baek's offer, or keep her furniture and live in the streets.

Jieun looked at her, and tried her best puppy dog eyes before saying, "Can I at least keep my rice cooker?"

**************************************************************************************************