Chapter 1

The fallen angel

“Give me a break.” Yujin grumbled and snatched her bag that was resting on the top of her desk. She was getting real bored and tired from all these classes. Mathematic, her least favorite subject, was next and she was not looking forward to sit in that boring class listening to the middle aged woman chattering away for an hour.

“Where you goin’?” Yena perched up from where she was resting her head on the desk dozing off to look at Yujin with enquiring gaze.

“I don’t know, arcade probably. You coming?” Yujin shrugged one of her bag’s strap around her shoulder.

“We still have classes.” Yena added unhelpfully.

“I know.” Yujin muttered, irritated. “Who cares?”

“You’re going to get detention again.” Hyewon chimed in from behind.

“Don’t care.”

“I care.” Yena widened her eyes. “They called my parents last time and I almost got skinned alive by them.” She said shuddering.

Yujin rolled her eyes, her heels and headed towards the door. If her friend wasn’t going to skip classes and hang out with her, so be it. She almost bumped into Ms. Yong, her Mathematic teacher on her way out of the class.

.

“Where do you think you’re going Ahn Yujin?” Ms. Yong raised an eyebrow at her as she stood still at the doorway, blocking the exit. Yujin swallowed the lump in . The whole class that was previously buzzing suddenly went silent. This made her even more nervous. Redness crept onto her neck as she felt all gazes upon her.

“I-I…” Yujin cleared when it came out in an embarrassing squeak. “I’m not feeling well. I’m going to the infirmary.” Her teacher furrowed her brow at her, clearly not buying her bull.

“I’m feeling pretty bad now.” Yujin tapped her forehead while donning a deep scowl. “Very dizzy.” She stumbled to a side for added effect. She thought she could hear Yena’s scoff behind her but she kept up her act by clutching onto the desk beside her while massaging her head with her other hand. Ms. Yong stared at her for a few minutes before releasing a deep sigh.

“Go.” She said as she stepped aside. Yujin fought the smirk threatening to emerged and stumbled her way out of the classroom.

“Ah ah.” She was halted when she felt a tug as Ms. Yong grabbed the strap of Yujin’s bag. “You will leave this here.”

Damn it!

Yujin passed her bag to her teacher, albeit reluctantly.

She stomped down the hallway in rage. Now she was forced to stay at school to retrieve her bag from Ms. Yong. She considered going to the infirmary but decided against the idea as that would mean having to put up another act so that the school nurse would consider letting her rest in the infirmary.

Yujin decided to just chill in an empty classroom until mathematic class ended so she could retrieve her bag and leave. She was playing around with her phone for a while before she felt her eyelids fluttering close involuntarily.

She glanced at the time on her phone.

Almost half an hour left before Mathematic class ends.

Since she was feeling pretty drowsy, she decided to take a short nap to fill the time. She arranged desks together into a makeshift bed and laid on top of them carefully. It took her less than a minute before she drifted off to sleep.

When her eyes fluttered open, she was greeted with complete darkness. She jerked up and almost fell off the tables. She shuffled around to find her phone, glancing at the time on it when she found it on one of the desks.

Holy !

She’d literally slept for almost 4 hours and all classes had ended 2 hours ago. She cussed herself for staying up all night playing with video games.

Yena had called and texted her multiple times but as always, she kept her phone on silent. She cussed at herself for that. Yena had asked her where she’d been and had informed her that Ms. Yong had been very displeased at her disappearance and threatened to throw her bag into the bin. She grimaced at the lecture she’d receive tomorrow from the middle-aged lady.

Hastily, she exited the classroom.

When she reached the hallway, she in a deep breath and tightened her grip on her bag. The hallway was almost in complete darkness, save from the moon shining through the windows. It occurred to Yujin that school was utterly terrifying at night when there wasn’t a single soul in the building.

Gulping, she braced herself and started walking hastily down the hallway, her footsteps echoed loudly. Her heart thumped so harshly against her chest she thought she was close to having a heart attack. Her palms were clammy when grabbed the railings of the staircase. Just as she was about to take off down the stairs to the ground floor, she heard a loud crash coming from above. It was so loud that she’d immediately ducked and held her hands against her ears.

What the hell was that?!

Her breathing was haggard and if she thought her heart was beating quickly before, it was now beating at an impossibly fast pace. She gulped and lifted her head to look at the stairways leading up the topmost floor, the rooftop.

Clearly whatever that was came from the rooftop.

What exactly was that sound?

Yujin thought it sounded as if something heavy landed. She contemplated if she should ignore the mystery of the rooftop and continued her way out of school as any normal teenager would. Curiosity won her over as she found herself slowly making her way up the stairs towards the rooftop.

Curiosity killed the cat, stupid. This is how people died in horror movies!

She shoved her inner voice to the back of her head and reached out to twist the knob of the door to the rooftop. The door squeaked loudly as she pushed it open and poked her head through. She scanned the rooftop, eyes immediately spotting the only thing out of place.

It was dark, with only the moonlight illuminating the rooftop. However, she could see it. She could see it very clearly. Her breath got caught in and her eyes widened.

Laid in the middle of the floor was a figure. But that’s not what caught her attention. It was the enormous pair of feathered wings attached to the back of said figure.

Yujin dropped onto her , the door slamming shut on her face.

What. In. The. Hell. Was. That?