Chapter I

Filling the Void

Jungkook came face to face with the sleek glass doors. 

 

Hanyang University

 

Two months ago his life was so different. Coming to his motherland from the States was a big decision, not that it was his anyways.

 

Jungkook sluggishly opened the doors to the main building of the university. Around him were students, chatting with their friends they hadn’t seen in three months, acting like they would die from being apart.

 

“Did you see Hojin? He looks like an absolute hunk now!”

 

“No girl, Kibum is where it’s at now!”

 

The girls snickered as he passed them. It felt like he was back in high school.

 

Oh how he didn’t miss this at all. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

“Bora come on we’re going to be late!” Hyejin busted open the door to Bora’s room.

 

“Should I wear the blue or red top today?” Bora asked frantically, alternatingly putting the tops to her torso.

 

“Red. Now let’s go! We can't be late on our first day back.” Hyejin snatched the blue top away from Bora and haphazardly placed it in her closet.

 

“But I liked the blue one…” Bora grumbled as she put on the red off-the-shoulder top. 

 

“I made us all lunch!” Dasom popped her head into the room.

 

“That’s so sweet Da- did you put pickles in mine?” Hyejin wearily looked at the lunchbox.

 

“No you picky bum, and I added extra cheese.” Dasom shook her head.

 

“Thang Daom” Bora incoherently replied as smothered lipgloss all over her lips. 

 

“Bora out the door now!” Dasom urged.

 

“Okay okay!”

 

The three girls hurriedly packed their bags as they got ready to leave. Before closing the door to their apartment, a smile lurked on Hyejin’s face.

Sophomore year is going to be amazing.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

The three girls walked into the auditorium hall, laughing about the time Bora called out the wrong name during .

 

“The names are so similar! How was I supposed to know?”

 

The girls filed into their seats, but before Hyejin could enter the row of seats, someone cut in front of her, separating her from her friends. Sitting down, the boy looked straight ahead. 

 

“Excuse me is it okay if I sit there? I usually si-”

 

“Just sit next to me, what's the big deal?” The boy side-glared at Hyejin.

 

The three girls exchanged weary looks before Hyejin complied defeatingly and sat down, not wanting to cause a scene.

 

“Alright class! Settle down!” The professor entered the room as the students lazily greeted him.

 

As the lecture started, Hyejin got out her books and pencil. She was always prepared no matter what.

 

Glancing to her right, she noticed the boy didn’t have any materials out. A few minutes of the lecture continuing, she noticed his desk was still empty. Hyejin was hesitant on asking due to his lack of socially inept behavior, but she asked nonetheless,

 

“Do you want to look at my book?” Hyejin softly pushed her book a little closer to the boy.

 

He looked at Hyejin for a moment, maybe longer than a moment. Hyejin thought her efforts had gone to waste before the boy quietly nodded. She slid the book between them with a small smile on her face. She pointed to the problem they were on before looking at her friends, who were snickering at the sight of Hyejin and the boy. She was going to kill them later.

 

“Alright class, sorry it was a lot for the first day,” The professor tiredly sighed, “Have questions four through ten done by next class!”

 

The auditorium started getting rowdy as students got up from their seats and started packing their belongings. 

 

“And then he didn’t even compliment me, like how dare he!” Bora exclaimed.

 

“Uh huh.” Dasom replied, completely ignoring her, packing her things.

While packing her bag, Hyejin kept glancing at the boy next to her, studying his every move.

 

I’ve never seen him around before. Maybe I should say bye at least.

 

Before Hyejin could think any further, the boy gathered his things and started to walk away. 

 

Hyejin impulsively jogged up to the boy and stood in front of him. He looked at her with a confused yet unfazed face. 

Hyejin shot her hand out, “Hi I’m Hyejin.” She smiled. Little did he know her heart was beating faster than she would've liked it to.

 

The boy looked at her hand, the same expression on his face from before. 

 

Slowly, the boy took his hand out of his pocket, responding, “Jungkook.”

 

“Nice to meet you Jungkook.” Relieved, Hyejin shook his hand. 

 

Hyejin’s smile faded when Jungkook didn’t smile and just kept staring. It felt like he was looking past her outer shell. Too much time had gone by and the two awkwardly let go of each other's hands.

 

“I have to get to my next class.” Jungkook curtly responded.

 

“Oh, sorry for holding you up. See you around!” Hyejin responded as Jungkook started to walk off. He was out of her sight but she still kept looking in his direction.

 

“Who was that?” Bora asked as her and Dasom walked up to Hyejin.

 

Jungkook.” 

 

Little did she know that name was the exact reason her sophomore year wasn’t going to be amazing.

 

***

Let me know what yall think! <3