T H R E E

Expensive Taste

It would be just after dinnertime on a Sunday, and one of the nights Taehyung wasn’t at Jeongguk’s apartment, it became his habit to call his mother right as he was getting into bed, face mask already plastered on his face for his night time skin care routine. I need to fight the aging signs.

“Guess who just got promoted into senior manager?” Kim Taehee boasted excitedly in Korean, all with her Daegu accent as soon as she picked up the phone.

“Is it Auntie Jackie?” Taehyung jokingly said over the phone. He then heard his mother scoff on the other line.

“You brat. It’s me who got promoted.” She said, even if Taehyung can’t see her, he can definitely imagine the frown on her face

“I’m just joking, mom.” Taehyung chuckled, “Congratulations on your promotion.” He continued, wide smile on his lips because that’s his mom right there being the independent woman that she is. It’s just recently when she got offered a job in the publishing company but now, they already promoted her. He’s beyond proud.

“Of course. This calls for a celebration. Don’t you think?” His mother asked, happiness can be heard from her voice and Taehyung can’t help the fond look that forms in his face. His mother worked hard day and night just to provide the both of them comfortable lives and seeing her this happy makes him happy too because she definitely deserves all the good things the world has to offer.

“How about that Chinese restaurant that you like? We could have lunch there tomorrow.” Taehyung suggested already thinking of putting a reservation because that restaurant is always full during lunch time. He can’t blame the people though. The food is cheap but the quality and taste is the best.

 “Why would you suggest a Chinese restaurant when we could go to that Korean one near your workplace? Seoul Bowl, right? And we’re Korean! Meaning Korean food for celebration” She grumbles.

“That is irrelevant. But fine, Seoul Bowl it is.”

“Don’t forget to invite Jeongguk while you’re at it. I missed that boy. I haven’t seen him in ages”

”What are you talking about “ Taehyung laughed, “You just saw him last week.”

Taehyung could hear the rustle and clanking of plates from the other end of the line. She must be cooking dinner for herself.

“Just like I said, haven’t seen him in ages.” She replied.

“Anyway, I have some exciting news too.” This time Taehyung is now fiddling with the ends of his blanket.

“You don’t sound too excited to me” She said, Taehyung sighs on the phone “I’m just kidding, what is it?”

“Gukkie invited me to come with him to Korea this winter.” He continued.

“He did?” His mother remarked, her voice lowering an octave. Excitement evident in her voice.

“Mom, don’t start getting any ideas,” Taehyung warned, knowing that tone of his mother’s so well. It means she’s getting excited and an excited mother is a chatty mother.

“What ideas? When you brought Jeongguk home last thanksgiving, everyone who saw you two lovebirds together said you were perfect for each other. Now it’s his turn to introduce you to his family. Omo, do you think he’s going to propose?” She gushed, unable to contain herself.

“Mom!” Taehyung whined on the phone, “we’ve never talked about marriage,” Taehyung said, trying to downplay it. As excited as he was about all the possibilities that hung over the trip, he wasn’t going to encourage his mom for the time being.

His mother was already far too invested in his happiness, and he didn’t want to get her hopes up too much. It’s still early for that.

Still b with anticipation, Taehyung’s mother continued, “I know men like Jeongguk, sweetheart. He can act the bohemian scholar all he wants, but I know deep down he is the marrying kind. He wants to settle down with someone, so there is no more time to waste.”

“Oh my God, mom. Just stop!” Pink dust covers his cheeks and Taehyung can’t get that one thought out of his head.

“Besides, how many nights a week do you already spend at his place? I’m shocked you two haven’t moved in together yet.” His mother raised her eyebrows at her own statement as if challenging her son.

Taehyung stopped at what his mother had said. He’s been staying over at Jeongguk’s on weekdays and sleeps at his own apartment on weekends. To his defense, it’s closer from where he works. It could save him some time and less pollution you know. Also, Jeongguk cooks better than him. Why would he live off of convenience store food when he has a boyfriend who could cook a five-star meal?

“Most Asian moms don’t encourage their children to stuffs like that.” Taehyung snorts, shaking his head at what his mother had said.

“What stuffs? And mind you, I’m the only Asian mom with an unmarried child who’s turning thirty-five. “ Taehyung rolled his eyes at that statement because his mother is now exaggerating. The Taiwanese owner of the convenience store down the block’s daughter is older than he is and she doesn’t have a husband nor a boyfriend.

His mother then continued, “Did you know what Mrs. Johnson said to me yesterday morning when I stopped by her coffee shop to buy some bagels? ‘I know you wanted your son to get his career established first, but isn’t it time that boy got married?’ that’s what she said to me. You know her son, Andrei is engaged to that co-professor of yours, right? They even invited you to their wedding in California!”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know the story. Instead of an engagement ring, he endowed a scholarship in her name at Stanford” Taehyung said in a bored tone. Not really interested what goes on with the lives of his colleagues.

“Come on, Tae. All your uncles and aunties gave up on you a long time ago, but I always knew you were waiting for the right one. Of course, you had to choose a professor just like yourself or maybe someone with an engineering profession? And what about those in the medicine field? Most Asian kids seems to prefer those kinds.”

No thanks, I would prefer Professor Jeon Jeongguk any given time. Thank you very much.

“Speaking of uncles and aunties, promise me you won’t go telling everyone right away. Please?” Taehyung got up on his bed, put his phone on speaker and heads straight to his bathroom to remove his mask and pat his face dry with a clean towel. He then studied the discarded packet beside the sink, this is nice. It felt soft too. I should get some for Jeonggukie. Before disposing the packet on the bin taking note of the brand name.

Taehyung then picked up his phone from where he left it when he heard his mother speaking, “Okay, fine. I know you are always so cautious, and you don’t want to be disappointed, but I just know in my heart what’s going to happen,” She said in a sing-song. Teasing evident in her voice.

“Well, until something happens, there’s no point making a big deal out of it,” Taehyung said, getting comfortable on his bed, pulling the cover up until his chin and turn off the lamp on his bed side table.

“So where will you be staying in Korea?”

“I have no idea”

His mother gasped, “You must find out these things!”

Taehyung sighs, “Why does it matter?” His forehead creased because to be really honest, he doesn’t really care whether they’ll be staying with his parents or in a hotel.

He heard his mother clicked her tongue before speaking, “Do you know at least what the sleeping arrangements will be?” She said, emphasizing the word at least.

“Sleeping arrangements? Mom, what?” Yep, definitely confused. Why does sleeping arrangement matters? Do Asian moms always talk about those kinds of things with their children?

“Do you know if you will be in a separate room or sharing a bed with him?” came another question.

“It never—”

“Taehyung! That’s the most important thing. You mustn’t assume that Jeongguk’s parents are going to be as liberal-minded as I am. You are going to Korea and those Koreans are uptight. I don’t want his parents to think I didn’t raise you properly.”

Taehyung groans mumbling a response along the lines of Okay, fine and then his left, noticing the time on his digital clock, 21:15 it says. He’ll be damned if he doesn’t sleep now. His lectures will start at 7:30AM and its located at the 8th floor of the Arts building. He doesn’t want to deal with running on the stairs early in the morning because the stupid elevator is not ing working.

“Anyway, I’m going to hang up now, mom. It’s late and I still have to teach tomorrow.” Just then a yawn came escaping his lips.

“Oh right. Rest well, sweetheart. I love you.” His mother said, soft voice echoing in his ears.

“I love you too, mom. Goodnight”

 

 

 

 

Few weeks later, Taehyung was slumped on the floor, hunched over the table in the living room of Jeongguk’s apartment grading papers for the midterms and checking the progress of his students for their final requirement which is a piece of their own to be put up in the university’s museum for the closing of the semester. Jeongguk is in the kitchen cooking dinner while dancing along some pop music, when the conversation with his mother wanders into his mind once again.

Koreans are those traditional type. Oh my God what if they don’t accept me because we’re both guys? I heard there’s still a percentage of people being homophobic. What if his mother will splash a cup of hot coffee on my face? No No No. Think happy thoughts, Taehyung. Happy thoughts. Jeongguk would not bring you across the globe if he’s not confident that his family will accept your relationship. Besides, Seokjin-hyung was there. Everything’s going to be fine. Perfectly fine. No ne

Taehyung flinched when there’s a sudden poke on his cheek and when he looked down, Taehyung cursed out loud realizing that he’s been checking the same paper at the same place for the last minutes. Sighing, he decided to take a rest for a while and neatly stacked the papers at the center of the table. Taehyung looked up at his boyfriend who had an amused smile playing on his lips, Taehyung huffs then pressed his back in between Jeongguk’s legs, “You scared me” He said, letting his boyfriend run his fingers through his blonde locks.

“I’m sorry, love. I’ve been calling you for the last three minutes already but you’re just staring at the poor paper.” He said followed by a soft chuckle that echoes throughout the apartment. Taehyung then pouts and crosses his arms over his chest.

“What’s gotten you all worked up, anyway?”

Jeongguk asked him, fingers now on his nape massaging the area to work on the knots that Taehyung hadn’t realized to be there, maybe because he was in the slouching position for nearly two hours, that upon massaging, Taehyung relaxed from where he is seated and sighs in contentment. A handsome caring boyfriend with an amazing hand. Yep, definitely won in life.

“Nothing” Taehyung said and directed his vision towards the window on his left side overlooking the glimmering lights of the city. Telling Jeongguk what has been on his mind lately seems stupid now that he thinks about it.

“You know,” Jeongguk stopped what he was doing and instead hugged Taehyung from behind, although the position is quite uncomfortable, he did it anyway. “When you say nothing, it means there’s definitely something going on.” He then kissed the crown of Taehyung’s head smelling his vanilla and rose scented shampoo in the process. “Come on, you can tell me.”

Taehyung turns his head upward to look at his boyfriend, hands cupping Jeongguk’s cheeks and letting his thumb graze over his bottom lip. Jeongguk smiled savoring the warmth that radiate off of Taehyung’s palm and leaned down to press a soft kiss on his lips. Both of them enjoying each other’s warmth despite the lack of comfort in their positions.

“Are you parents one of those traditional type of people? Like they don’t allow their children be in the same bedroom with their partner until marriage kind of traditional?” Taehyung suddenly asks that made Jeongguk laugh. So that’s what’s been keeping him unfocused.

“My parents don’t really pay that much attention to sleeping arrangements. So, sharing a bedroom would be fine. Why’d you asked?”

“Nothing. Just making sure they won’t be scandalized because I want to cuddle with my boyfriend every night and wake up to his beautiful face every morning. Then maybe do something more. I can’t do that when were not on the same room, can I?” Taehyung answered with a smirk playing on his lips.