Chapter 9

Working alongside EXO

The next week passes by fast with Rosé working hard on outfits for the MAMA awards, Lisa helping her and trying to convince her to let her come. “I wanna go so bad! Plus I can be your personal assistant,” Lisa tells her the day before she leaves. Rosé finally agrees it’ll be beneficial for herself to have Lisa as extra help. Rosé decided to ignore what Wonho said to her the week before, convincing herself he didn’t mean it like she thought he did. He didn’t say it again or bring it up. 

 

This year the MAMA awards are in Japan, so Rosé and Lisa are going to be staying in a hotel there with the other idols for a few days. Rosé invited Jennie to come along as well since she won’t be able to do everything herself with some idols performing in Hong Kong and some in Japan. 

 

The next day Rosé and Lisa head to the airport for their early flight to Japan. Rosé decided to dress casual in black jeans, with a long sleeved white shirt and a long brown coat. Lisa put black ripped jeans on with a thin, white buttoned shirt. Upon arriving at the airport there’s lots of paparazzi already present, probably expecting Rosé to travel with the idols but they decided to travel separately to avoid rumours and paparazzi. As they walk through the crowd of paparazzi lots of them take their photos and call out their names.

 

When they make it through Lisa laughs while grabbing onto Rosé’s arm. “You looked like such a celebrity just walking through there without smiling or looking over at them,” she tells her. “I learned from all the idols I worked with, though if it’s fans not paparazzi then they do pay attention to them,” Rosé responds, “Should we go get something to drink before the flight?” Lisa nods and pulls Rosé towards a drinks cart, ordering them both a hot cocoa with whipped cream. After checking in their bags they go through customs and sit in the plane seating area. 

 

“This is nice,” Lisa says, “it’s not too busy since it’s so early in the morning.” “I’m glad you came with me otherwise I’d have to wait all alone,” Rosé tells her, smiling. “I agree, when are the guys coming?” “Monsta X will be here soon, but EXO is flying straight to Hong Kong since they’re performing there. I have to go to Japan first to arrange everything for Monsta X, then I’ll fly to Hong Kong tonight,” Rosé explains. 

 

A half an hour later the guys show up and sit with the girls waiting. Rosé puts her head on Shownu’s shoulder, who’s sitting next to her, and closes her eyes. Wonho looks over at Rosé and Shownu wondering why she’s been a little distant with him, it started a week ago. But she could’ve just been busy with work, he thinks it’s more than that, and decides that this week away he’ll talk to her about it. 

 

Eventually the flight is ready and they all get on the plane and fly to Japan. A few hours later the idols and stylists get settled in the hotel they share. Lisa and Rosé pick a room to share together and dump their bags on the floor, then jump onto the beds. “I could lay here all day,” Lisa says while hugging Rosé, “take your coat off Rosie!” Rosé sighs, pulling away from Lisa’s hug and sitting up on the bed. “What’s wrong?” Lisa asks. Rosé tells her what Wonho said to her the week before and how she’s been kind of avoiding it. “But now it’s all I think about, should I ask him about it?” She asks Lisa. “I think you two were drunk, and he probably forgets saying it. So if you bring it up it could make things more awkward if he doesn’t remember,” Lisa informs her. 

 

After eating a large lunch together in the hotel room, Rosé and Lisa head over to Shownu and Wonho’s hotel room down the hall. “We were wondering when you guys were going to come over,” Shownu says giving them both a hug. They head inside noticing all the guys sitting on the 2 queen beds in sweatpants and hoodies.  Rosé hangs the outfits she made in the closet and explains to them which one is for who. “Okay, now get changed quickly so I can double check everything. Jennie will be here in a second,” Rosé tells them. “You want us to change in front of you guys?” Minhyuk exclaims. “Yes, I’ve legit seen you guys in your underwear before. Now hurry up!” 

 

They get changed and Jennie arrives. Rosé introduces the guys to Jennie, and asks her to help check that the clothes fit perfectly. Jennie immediately goes to help Wonho first, which Rosé notices but decides to ignore. Jennie doesn’t know they’re dating, no one knows except Monsta X themselves and Lisa. “And of course the outfits fit perfectly, you’re just a professional by now,” I.M. tells Rosé smiling. “Thank you. So you guys can practice, as long as you don’t ruin the outfits because I’ll be leaving now. Jennie will take care of you guys tomorrow for the performances and I’ll see you guys tomorrow night probably,” Rosé explains. “I’ll walk you out,” Wonho says following Rosé to the door and then out to the hall. 

 

“I’ll miss you, it that you have to be with EXO instead of us tomorrow,” he tells her. “Well, if they performed here as well it’d be fine. I’m only going with them because Jennie hasn’t done a lot with the clothes yet, and their performance is longer with an outfit change as well,” Rosé explains to him. “I know, but it still .” Wonho doesn’t care so much that Rosé has to be with EXO tomorrow, he’s worried that Chanyeol will tell her about the conversation they had and he’d prefer if he didn’t do that. “I know, I really have to go now though. I’ll see you tomorrow,” she says giving him a tight hug. Before Wonho can even try to give her a kiss she turns around and walks away. He now knows that something is bothering her. 

 

Rosé takes a taxi to the airport and boards the plane right on time. The flight isn’t really long, only a couple hours but she tries to get some sleep, finding it hard to because all she can think of is Wonho. Once she arrives in Hong Kong she grabs her small carry on and looks around at the people with signs that have people’s names on them. Suho told her that one of them would pick her up but he didn’t say who. She walks around looking for someone who looks like an idol and spots a tall figure wearing a mask, cap, sunglasses and is dressed in all black. She walks up to the person and notices he’s holding a sign with ‘Rosie’ written on it with a smiley face next to it. 

 

“How’d you figure out it was me looking for you so fast?” the deep voice asks her. “Seriously Chanyeol, you’re wearing sunglasses in an airport in the middle of the night, it’s kind of obvious,” she responds and he laughs, taking off his sunglasses. She sighs and stares into his dark eyes, feeling a sense of comfort around him for some reason. “Let’s go?” He asks, she nods and they head to the parking lot. 

 

Upon arriving at the hotel room everyone from EXO comes to give Rosé hugs. “We missed you Rosie, it’s been a while!” Kyungsoo says. “That’s just cause you guys think I’m a sensitive, frail girl. FYI I’m not, so just treat me like normal okay?” She says. The guys are taken aback from her statement, they thought Suho fixed the issue with her weeks ago. They just stare at her in shock before she smiles and laughs at them. “Oh my god! Your faces! Did you seriously think I was still upset? I really don’t care about what happened, as long as we’re good now it’s fine,” she explains and they laugh with her. “We legit thought you were gonna rip our heads off for a second,” Suho exclaims. 

 

After they all catch up with one another and talk, Rosé decides to go to her hotel room to get some sleep so she’s ready for tomorrow. “I’ll meet you guys here tomorrow morning,” she says, and heads out. 

 

The guys immediately look to Suho and Chanyeol in anger. “You fixed things with her huh?” Xiumin says. “She’s just joking, she does seem different though doesn’t she? Somethings changed from the time we promoted last until now, I just can’t put my finger on it,” Suho says. “She just seems less shy around us and I’m pretty sure that’s a good thing,” Kyungsoo points out, “let’s just go to bed, it’s late.” 

 

The next morning Rosé wakes up sleepy, the bed in her hotel room is so comfy she feels tired already. She checks her phone and sees a text message from Wonho saying that they should talk when she returns to Japan. She sighs knowing that he probably noticed her being a little distant and wants to talk about that. She messages him back saying ‘okay’ and then quickly calls Jennie to make sure she knows what to do for their performance later tonight, she seems confident enough. 

 

She gets dressed in sweatpants with a crop top and heads over to Suho’s room. “I’m so tired,” Rosé says and jumps onto his bed hugging one of his pillows, “can I just sleep here instead?” “Go ahead, the guys are slow so they won’t get here for another half hour or so,” Suho tells her. 

 

Chanyeol wakes up and dressed in a baggy shirt with black jeans and heads over to Suho’s room to meet up with everyone. To his surprise no one is there except Suho and Rosé, who is sleeping on his bed. “I guess we should’ve discussed an actual time instead of just morning” Chanyeol tells Suho who nods in agreement. Suho decides to watch tv while Chanyeol lays down on the bed next to Rosé and plays games on his phone. 

 

An hour later Rosé wakes up to find Chanyeol next to her face. “Hey sunshine,” he says, his voice sounding deeper to her somehow, “did you not sleep last night?” She sits up and rubs her eyes. “I did, but for some reason I’m just so tired. Plus I had to go on two planes to get here, just for you guys,” she explains. “Well, we appreciate it Rosie,” Kyungsoo says. “We should probably get some breakfast now and then head down to the gym,” Suho suggests. Everyone gets up and heads downstairs to the complimentary hotel breakfast. 

 

They all sit in a room separate from the regular guests that has a buffet set up. Rosé follows Suho and grabs a plate full of pancakes and fruit with some syrup, and a cup of coffee. “Yummy!” Rosé exclaims, sitting down at the large circular table next to Suho. “So what’s the plan for today?” she asks the guys when they’re all seated. “We’re gonna go to the gym, then we’ll show you our performance, we’ll try on the outfits and go to the show tonight at 6,” Suho informs her. “And the flight was at what time tonight?” “I think it’s at like 9 tonight and we’ll get to Japan at 1 in the morning their time,” Kyungsoo says. 

 

After breakfast and going to the gym for a while, the guys and Rosé head to the practice room to rehearse their performance for tonight. Rosé sits down in front of them and pays close attention to the full performance, it really is amazing. “Wow! That’s all I can say, I mean I’ve seen it before already but it’s so good,” she tells them. “Thanks Rosie! Okay, we better get cleaned up and then head out for the show,” Suho says, “we’re leaving in an hour guys.” 

 

Rosé heads back to her room to get dressed for the show and realizes she didn’t bring any nice clothes. All she has is sweats and one pair of jeans. She starts pacing around the room completely freaking out because she’s the stylist, she can’t go in sweatpants and a hoodie. A knock on the door draws her attention back to the real world. She opens it to find Chanyeol dressed up in a black suit with a bow tie. “Well don’t you look handsome,” she says, letting him inside. “I brought you something,” he tells her, and hands her a big garment bag. “What’s this?” She asks him, looking confused. “I thought you might need something to wear tonight,” he responds, “open it.” 

 

She s the bag revealing the most beautiful dress she’s ever seen. It’s a short, golden, sequin embellished dress, paired with a long, thin, white robe. “Chanyeol, it’s beautiful!” She exclaims in amazement, “thank you!” She walks over to him, stands on her tiptoes and kisses his cheek. “Really, thank you so much!” “Go try it on, I’ll wait here,” he says while she skips over to the bathroom. 

 

A few minutes later she steps out of the bathroom with the dress on and the robe tied around her waist, with one sleeve hanging off her shoulder. Her hair simply falls straight past her shoulders and she is wearing long silver earrings. Chanyeol is shocked by her beauty, and how she looks so gorgeous. “You look beautiful,” he says, “everyone is going to be talking about you tonight.” She smiles and gives him a hug. “This really means a lot to me Chanyeol, I won’t forget it,” she tells him, he smiles and kisses the top of her head. “You’re very welcome.” 

 

An hour later everyone who made a name for themselves is walking down the red carpet in Hong Kong. The show is aired later than the one in Japan because they’re an hour behind in the time zone. Lisa and the guys from Monsta X are in the hotel back in Japan watching the red carpet ceremony, since they already performed. Once EXO shows up the fans are screaming like crazy for them, shortly after Rosé gets to walk down the red carpet along with some other stylists. Wonho takes one look at her and is in complete awe of how beautiful she looks. He completely forgets everything he wanted to talk to her about, and the distance he felt from her. Right now he just wishes he was there with her. 

 

After the red carpet finishes Rosé and the guys are sitting in the waiting room watching clips from the performances in Japan. “Let’s watch Monsta X,” Rosé suggests, “I designed their outfits as well.” They watch the performance, the highlight being Wonho taking off his shirt halfway through it. Chanyeol keeps an eye on Rosé noticing her looking very closely at the screen watching Monsta X, not so much their outfits but just one member in particular. 

 

A few hours later after all the performances are finished the guys from EXO and Rosé are sitting on their flight waiting for it to leave. “Tonight was so much fun! I’m curious to what the news is going to be playing from tonight’s show tomorrow,” Rosé tells Chanyeol who’s sitting beside her on the flight back to Japan. “Probably you wearing that dress, everyone is going to want you as their stylist,” he replies. “Well, I didn’t design it myself. You gave it to me, the real fashionista is you.” Chanyeol laughs at this. “That’s a real compliment for me so I’ll take it, I mean look at my outfit it’s not exactly stylish,” he says, pointing at his outfit which consists of black jeans, Nike sneakers, a button up vest and a long grey coat. “I think you look like an idol, but you just give off that vibe,” Rosé tells him. 

 

The flight only took 4 and a half hours, Rosé and Chanyeol watched movies the whole time until she fell asleep on his shoulder. Surprisingly they made it back to Tokyo around 12:30. After arriving at the hotel Rosé heads to her room to find Lisa wide awake waiting for her. “Yay! You’re back, you gorgeous human being!” She exclaims, “your outfit on the red carpet blew me away girl!” “That’s a long story that I’ll tell you tomorrow. Why are you still awake?” Rosé asks. “Wasn’t tired yet, do you want to go for a swim? There’s an indoor pool here,” Lisa suggests, Rosé nods and they go get changed for swimming. 

 

The girls head downstairs to the indoor pool finding it empty, which isn’t surprising considering it’s late. They decide to take photos of each other by the pool before swimming for a bit. Suddenly two other people enter the pool house. “I wonder who they are,” Lisa says, “probably idols I guess since they’re all staying in this hotel.” Rosé looks at the figures and recognizes one of them immediately. “It’s Chanyeol, and someone else,” Rosé tells her, and once the figures come out of the dark and into the light they see its Chanyeol and Kai. Lisa looks at Rosé in surprise, “how’d you know?” “The height gave him away.” 

 

“Well look at that, didn’t expect to see you two down here so late,” Chanyeol says, as he places a towel on a nearby chair and takes off his shirt. Rosé can’t help but stare at his toned upper body, and when she looks away at Lisa she notices Lisa can’t take her eyes off Kai who also removed his shirt. She shoves Lisa who glares at her. “What was that for?” “I saw you drooling over Kai,” Rosé giggles, while Lisa blushes a deep red. Chanyeol and Kai then come into the pool and swim towards the girls. 

 

“So, why are you two up so late?” Chanyeol asks. “Not tired,” Rosé responds. “I’m not surprised, you slept on my shoulder for basically the whole flight.” He laughs at her and Lisa gives Rosé a stern look which she ignores. After swimming for a bit Rosé decides to sit on one of the chair near the pool and dry off. She watches the others and notices Kai and Lisa being very close together. A few minutes later Chanyeol joins her and drys his black hair with a towel. “You tired of being a third wheel?” Rosé asks, while putting her hair up in a messy bun. He nods his head and lays down on the chair closing his eyes. 

 

Lisa and Kai get out of the pool, grab their towels and inform Rosé and Chanyeol that they’ll be leaving. “Don’t go and have too much fun!” Rosé shouts after them. “Well then, I guess it’s jus let you and me,” Chanyeol says. “I heard that it’s your birthday today,” Rosé tells him. “Yeah it is, how’d you know that?” He asks. “I have my sources,” she says giggling. “Usually the guys would do something right at midnight but they were all so tired. We are going for dinner later tonight and I expect you and Lisa to come as well,” he says and Rosé nods excited at the thought of food. “How old are you now then?” She asks him. “Twenty five, older than you,” he replies standing up. “Yeah, but not by a lot.” She gets up and wraps a towel around her body, following him out of the pool house. 

 

They head upstairs and continue talking on the long elevator ride. “Since it’s already 3 in the morning it’s good that we’re going to sleep,” Chanyeol says. “I suppose. I’m not really tired but I’ll try to sleep or I’ll be really grumpy tomorrow and I don’t want to ruin your birthday,” she replies. Once on the floor where their rooms are, they get out of the elevator and walk separately to their rooms.

 

Several hours later Rosé wakes up to the sun shining brightly through the white curtains of her hotel room. She looks over at the other bed and notices Lisa didn’t come back, she checks the time on her phone and sees it’s noon already. Going on Instagram she posts  a photo of Chanyeol and her that they took on the plane the previous day. She writes a short caption saying ‘Happy birthday jerk! Enjoy being old, love ya’ and posts it. Only a few minutes later Chanyeol comments on her post saying ‘I may be older but I’m like 10 times wiser than you ❤️’. She laughs and gets up to go take a long hot shower, her hair still smelling like chlorine from the pool. 

 

After getting changed in jeans and a hoodie she grabs a gift she got for Chanyeol and heads to his room. Suho opens the door after just one knock and drags her inside. “We were just singing happy birthday to him,” he says, leading her over to Chanyeol’s bed. He looks really tired, his hair sticking up in weird places but he’s smiling. “I brought you something, Suho told me you liked these,” she says handing him a box. He opens it and smiles brightly. “Hoppang! I love this! Thank you!” He says giving her a hug. 

 

While the others crowd around Chanyeol, Rosé makes her way over to Kai and nudges him. “Lisa never came back to our hotel room, would you happen to know where she is?” She asks him, grinning. He looks away and smiles. “She may be in my hotel room, but I swear I didn’t do anything to her,” he replies, handing Rosé his key card. “Thank you, I’ll be back.” 

 

Rosé enters Kai’s room right as her phone rings, Wonho is calling her. She completely forgot he wanted to talk. 

 

“Hello?” 

“Hey, I haven’t heard your voice in a while. I miss you.” 

“I miss you too! What’s up?”

“I was hoping we’d be able to talk tonight.” 

“Oh, when? I’m going out for dinner with EXO tonight because it’s Chanyeol’s birthday today.”

“Okay, come find me when you’re back. I’ll be in my hotel room with Shownu.” 

“Alright, I’ll see you then.” 

 

She hangs up the phone and notices Lisa sitting on the bed eating pancakes and watching tv. Rosé sits next to her and takes a bite of the pancakes. “Mmmm yummy!” She exclaims. “I know right!” They sit there for a while eating and watching tv together until the food is finished. “I’m guessing you want to know what happened last night.” “Naturally, but I’m waiting for you to tell me,” Rosé says smiling. So Lisa tells her how she spent the whole night talking to Kai, getting to know him and eventually they kissed. When they noticed it was really late she didn’t want to wake Rosé up so she went to his room, they kissed some more and fell asleep in each other’s arms. 

 

“Oh my god! That is so adorable! You and Kai! I totally ship it Lisa!” Rosé exclaims. “Thanks, now tell me what’s up with you and Wonho and Chanyeol, cause I’m confused,” Lisa insists. Rosé explains that Wonho noticed her being distant and wants to talk about it, and the fact that she is friends with Chanyeol, which makes her happy. “You don’t have feelings for him though do you?” Lisa asks. Rosé shakes her head. 

 

Later that night the girls go out with EXO for Chanyeol’s birthday dinner. Rosé pulls on black striped pants, with a black cropped tank top and a black sweater. While Lisa wears grey striped pants, with a white cropped tank top and a grey striped blazer over top. They head out in a separate car than EXO and all meet up at the restaurant in downtown Tokyo. 

 

Lisa and Kai immediately find each other and sit together so Rosé decides to sit somewhere else. Chanyeol pops down in the empty seat beside her smiling. “I ate the hoppang, it was delicious!” She smiles back at him. “That’s good, I’m glad you liked it,” she replies. Rosé and Chanyeol talk all throughout dinner and she finds that she’s enjoying having him as a friend. 

 

Later in the evening after dinner, Rosé, Chanyeol, Lisa and Kai decide to go to the pool again. Kai and Lisa head straight to the pool while the others decide to go in the hot tub. “I’m so cold so I don’t really want to swim tonight,” Rosé says and Chanyeol agrees. They get in the hot tub and turn on the bubbles. “Ahhh this is great!” Rosé exclaims. She looks over at Chanyeol who seems deep in thought. “What’s up?” He looks over at her and smiles. “I wanted to talk to you about something, but I wasn’t sure if I should bring it up since you and me are good friends now,” he explains. “Well now you have to tell me, I’m curious,” she tells him and laughs. 

 

“Well it’s about Wonho,” he starts, and Rosé’s face pales immediately. If Chanyeol suspects they’re dating what is she supposed to say to him? “Okay, what about him?” “A week or two ago he came to our dorm, it was just me at home but he wanted to talk to me. He asked me if I had feelings for you and he seemed pretty defensive about it. I was wondering if you knew anything about that.” Rosé can feel the anger building up inside of her, because Wonho might’ve ruined the secret of their relationship by asking Chanyeol questions about her. “Hey, are you okay?” Chanyeol asks, noticing she seems pretty upset. “I’m sorry, can we talk later? I need to go deal with something,” she tells him, he nods and she gets out of the hot tub grabbing a towel. 

 

She heads upstairs and bangs on Wonho and Shownu’s hotel room door. “Woah Rosie! What’s up with the banging on the door?” Shownu exclaims, letting her inside. She notices all the guys are in their room watching a movie. “Come to the hall, now,” she says pointing at Wonho. The guys look worried for their band member, as he follows Rosé outside. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Wonho asks. “You! You talked to Chanyeol about me and whether he has feelings for me! Did it not go through your head that he might put two and two together and figure out we’re dating!” She exclaims. Wonho’s face drops and he sighs. “Well, I guess I didn’t really think of the repercussions. I was just worried you had feelings for him and all when you showed me that he gave you his shirt that you keep in your drawer,” Wonho explains, “and I saw you two together last night with Lisa and Kai. You looked like a real couple, whereas I haven’t talked to you in days.” “Are you being serious right now? He gave me that shirt when I lived with them because I didn’t have enough clothes. It doesn’t mean anything, plus you know I don’t like him like that, just because I hang out with him doesn’t mean I have feelings for him,” Rosé tells him. “So you don’t have feelings for Chanyeol?” He asks. “No! I like you, why do you think I’m dating you? I wouldn’t get together with him anyways, he hurt me deeply all those months ago and I can’t just forget what he said. We’re friends, if anything we’re just people who work together that’s it.” 

 

“So that’s all you think of me?” Rosé hears a familiar deep voice ask from behind her. She sighs and turns around to see Chanyeol standing a metre or two behind her. “Good to know, I guess I better just stay out of your way,” he says and starts walking down the hall. Rosé turns back to Wonho furious. “You knew he was there! You just wanted me to paint him black to ruin our friendship and make yourself feel better! You’re such a jerk Wonho!” She shouts and shoves him away from her, then turning on her heel she chases after Chanyeol.