When Strawberry and Dark Chocolate Meet

Strawberry or Dark Chocolate

iKe73hcQoUuS-dJJAEZ9OWf7M9AmDKx0pwhYvK1neFrIlubo3ByHcXHWI8TbeR6ptG247m-BNuOE3Ef7gaFbOmY0iTfTpHLVHkCDgFSpymlXN9fp5eMEw-u63XOnXE_MTLogqylDaLp9nx8_nUmh7Tk

“I waited years for her and she just...gave her heart to someone else.” -Jeon Jungkook


 

Chapter 6: When Strawberry and Dark Chocolate Meet

 

It wasn’t the usual bright sunlight that hit his eyes or the sound of birds chirping right outside his window that woke him up.

It was the smell.

The smell of bugeo guk (pollock soup). 

 

Seokjin’s eyebrows furrowed as he sat up and immediately he felt a damp towel drop to his lap. He slowly opened his eyes and grabbed it, looking around to find a bowl of water on the side table of his bed. It was a sign that he had been nursed all night. 

 

He slowly got up, putting the towel by the bowl, and was pleasantly surprised to find his shivers gone and body much lighter than the night before. And then the memories hit him.

The memories of all the things that had happened the night before.

 

“Frick, don’t tell me she’s still here…” Seokjin quickly went out into the living room and sure enough, he found Hyun by the kitchen humming as she scooped up some soup into a bowl. Seokjin couldn’t believe his eyes. 

 

“Professor? You’re awake!” Hyun chirped as soon as she saw him. She raised her brows as she asked, “How are you feeling?”

“Uh...yeah, I feel better,” Seokjin nodded slowly, unsure as to why she was still at his place. He did remember her coming with porridge and medicine last night, but he had not expected her to have nursed him all night and cook him breakfast the next day. And how did she know where he lived in the first place?

“What are you still doing here?” he cleared his throat as he reached for a glass of water. He was about to ask how she knew his address too when Hyun opened first.

“Well, I guess you don’t remember how you pleaded that I stayed with you last night huh?” Hyun smirked and Seokjin nearly choked.

Clearly that memory hadn’t hit him with the rest.

“I...what?” his eyes widened, all his other questions instantly flying away. He wanted to believe Hyun was joking. But instead she laughed, shaking her head.

“It’s okay Professor. I didn’t want to leave until you felt better anyway. Ready for breakfast?”

“Yeah,” Seokjin managed to nod, feeling extremely flushed at Hyun’s words. He honestly couldn’t remember himself asking or doing such a thing. Was having a fever worse than alcohol?

“Have a seat then,” Hyun gestured to the table that had already been set with rice, side dishes, and utensils. Seokjin walked over to a chair and sat down, obeying her.

“Did you...make all this?” Seokjin looked up at her as she placed a bowl of soup next to his rice. Hyun smiled brightly.

“I did, but I can’t guarantee the taste. I just wanted to make sure you had a full stomach after your fever went down so you recover completely,” she shrugged.

“Thank you,” Seokjin managed to say.

He felt a strange warmth spread over his body.

He liked it. 

 

“Well, hope you have a good breakfast! I did wash the majority of the dishes so you just have to take care of your own bowls. And you should heat up the soup again so it doesn’t go bad,” Hyun began to walk towards the living room couch where she had her belongings. 

“Where are you going?” Seokjin asked, his eyes big. He was a little disappointed thinking about Hyun leaving.

Without him realizing it.

“I have class in a little bit,” Hyun kept her smile on. She bowed, “Eat up Professor! Hope you feel better. I left medicine on that counter so take it if you need to.”

“Wait, what about you? Aren’t you eating?” Seokjin’s eyes never left her. She shook her head. 

“It’s fine. I’m running a little late so I’m leaving now! Goodbye,” Hyun bowed one last time before running out. 

 

Thud.

 

Seokjin blinked a couple of times before turning back around and facing his food. His eyes took in the steam rising in front of him, indicating the food’s warmth. The warmth that matched the person who made it. The warmth he liked. He smiled before picking up his spoon and taking a bite. 

And his smile grew.

Because the food’s taste that hadn’t been guaranteed should have been, tasting how good it was.

How delectable it was.

Seokjin couldn’t recall the last time he had eaten a home cooked meal like this made by someone else, and he hadn’t realized how much he had missed it. And how much he had missed having someone look after him.

But a rush of fear went over his body. Half of him told him he shouldn’t get used to this. He knew he was going to be alone again soon.

The other half, however, told him otherwise

That if he opened up and worked towards it, perhaps he can make it so that he experiences such a warmth as he had now regularly. He could change his “all-alone” state that only he didn’t know was quite miserable.

 

And that meant going after Hyun. 

 

Seokjin decided to give this more thought. After all, he was the rational, logical, reasonable, genius professor that wouldn’t make rash decisions. 

 

 

Unless a wild, irrational bunny changed all that. 

 

***

 

 

“Yah! Jeon Jungkook! What the hell are you doing?!” 

The coach’s voice roared across the arena as all the players’ eyes turned to the guy that got called out. The guy that was supposed to be the team’s most “highly acclaimed player” and yet was making mistakes every time the puck was in his reach.

“Sorry,” Jungkook muttered under his helmet, skating towards the exit. 

“Coach! Give us five minutes!” Taehyung pleaded across the rink, skating behind Jungkook. 

“Hey man, what’s going on? Is everything okay?” he put a hand on his shoulder once they were out of the rink.

“Leave me alone,” Jungkook growled. Taehyung lifted his hand and took off his helmet as the two had found bleachers to sit down on. Practice continued without them.

 

“Hey, did something happen with Hyunnie noona? Is this why you’ve been so off during practice?” Taehyung handed Jungkook a water bottle. 

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Jungkook sighed and took his own helmet off before taking the bottle.

“Dude. If she turned you down, what’s the big deal? Just keep going at it until she accepts you,” Taehyung said, his face in a smile. His smile faded as he added, “Unless she said it’s an absolute ‘no’ or that she likes someone else.”

Jungkook groaned out loud at that and took a long drink.

“Oh..?” Taehyung raised his brows. He looked down and nodded, his voice deeper. “I see that’s what happened.”

“How could she?” Jungkook’s voice began to waver. He breathed in deeply. “I waited years for her and she just...gave her heart to someone else.”

“Hey. You can’t expect her to like you after all those years. Not everyone is as...dedicated and loyal as you,” Taehyung shot facts, even though his adjectives were selectively on the generous side. If anything, Taehyung thought Jungkook was obsessed and clingy more than…”dedicated and loyal.”

“I know…” Jungkook sighed, knowing Taehyung was right. Hyun didn’t owe him anything. He had just been too sure that if he managed to get into the same school as her and find her, things would, without a doubt, work out between them. Because for years, Jungkook had been dreaming—craving—for her. And if he was honest, it was probably the disappointment coming from the fact that she didn’t reciprocate such feelings that hurt him the most.

 

Did their past memories and promises mean nothing now? Or did they even mean anything in the first place? Jungkook’s head was about to burst.

 

“So what are you planning to do?” Taehyung asked cautiously, looking at the disheartened bunny.

“I don’t think I can stop liking her,” Jungkook sighed, slumping back. He rested his head on the wall behind them, “I want to respect her and her feelings but...I don’t know if I can do that if I see her again.”

“Then are you going to avoid her?” Taehyung asked. 

“That’s impossible,” Jungkook shook his head, knowing very well he had classes with her. That and his body was almost wired to go find her. It was like a natural instinct that his body developed over the years.

“But I guess I’ll try. Or at least try to...ignore her,” Jungkook sat up straighter. His voice seemed determined but Taehyung could see the sorrow in his big, doe eyes. Jungkook cleared his throat and stood up.

 

 

“At least for now.”

 

 

And Taehyung could only nod at that. 

 

At least for now.

 

What else was the bunny going to do at this point?

 

It’s not like he knew Hyun was trying to get over her feelings towards Kim Seokjin.

 

 

At least for now.

 

 

***

 

 

“Shoot.”

 

 

Ji Eun could have sworn she woke up on time and yet she found herself late to class. Unfortunately again. She had now scrambled across campus and was running down the hall towards her class when she turned a sharp corner and rammed into someone. Her belongings spilled across the floor, and so did the papers of the person she bumped into.

 

“I am so sorry,” Ji Eun said as she reached to grab her things.

 

 

“Well that’s a face I didn’t expect to see again,” the voice of the other person reached her ears. She looked up.

 

 

“Oh..?” she narrowed her big eyes to focus on the pale face that had spoken to her. The pale face she recognized almost immediately. It was the macaron man.

“Mr. Macaron?” Ji Eun’s narrowed eyes grew wide.

“Hi,” the man grinned, showing his gums. Ji Eun thought it was rather cute. 

“Are you a student here too?” she asked, continuing to pick up her things.

“I’m deeply flattered that’s the first thing you assume,” he handed her a pencil that had rolled closer to him. He continued, “But no. I’m a professor here in the writing department.”

“Oh what?” Ji Eun couldn’t hide her shock. She would have never thought Mr. Macaron with his cute gummy smile would be a professor. Without a doubt, he looked much younger than all the professors she had had.

But then she recalled the conversation she heard him have with his girlfriend.

He had said he was now thirty and getting his doctoral degree.

Made sense.

 

“Come on, I don’t look that young,” the man or rather, professor, began to organize his papers. “So you’re a student huh? What major?”

“Communications and music sir,” Ji Eun said.

“What are you doing in this building then? Core class?”

“Yes sir,” Ji Eun nodded, all of a sudden feeling a barrier between the two. If he was a professor at her school, she ought to make sure she didn’t cross any lines and address him properly. No more “Mr. Macaron.” But come to think of it, she didn’t even know his name. The real proper way to address him.

“Well, I hope you have a good class session. I didn’t make you too late, did I?” Yoongi picked up his last paper and stood up. He held out his hand for Ji Eun to take. She hesitated before placing her small pale hand into his, which was equally pale. But it was a lot warmer than hers.

“I was late anyway. And besides, it’s my fault for running in the halls,” Ji Eun smiled, now standing up as well. “Should have learned in high school, right?”

“Nah, I sometimes run to my own classes I have to teach,” the professor joked, making Ji Eun laugh.

“If you need more English credits for core, consider taking mine. I teach plenty and plus, I’ll be sure to remember you,” he returned the smile before tilting his head. “Except I should probably ask what your name is. That’s going to be needed for me to actually remember you.”

 

“Ji Eun. Lee Ji Eun,” Ji Eun answered. The man repeated her name under his breath.

 

“I’m Professor Min Yoongi. It’s nice seeing you again Miss Ji Eun. Thanks again for the treat last time. Hope you forgot what you heard that day though,” he gave her a slight bow.

“Of course and no problem sir,” Ji Eun bowed too. 

“See you!” Professor Min Yoongi gave one last smile before walking away, papers in hand and shoes clicking as he walked. Ji Eun felt herself staring at him, unsure of what to think of all of these coincidences. 

 

But one thing was for sure.

She was late many mornings but she couldn’t help feeling a little glad she was late that particular morning.

 

 

***

 

 

“Wow, a full class. What a perfect welcome back.”

 

 

Seokjin’s voice spread through the lecture hall, making students sit up as they watched their now-recovered professor walk to the podium. There were noises of applause and cheer from students near the front, making Seokjin chuckle. Hyun took note of his oversized ivory knit sweater slightly tucked into his gray slacks. His glasses rested on his nose and his eyes stared back through his hair, which was styled to cover his forehead. His whole demeanor reassured Hyun that he had recovered quite well (thanks to her), and she felt a wave of relief rush over her.

 

But her relief didn’t last long.

 

Hyun had been waiting for Jungkook, who had been ignoring her calls and texts all weekend. She tried to go find him at the rink, the library, the dining halls, and even waited outside his dorm. But the bunny who always knew how to find her was impossible to find herself. Hyun realized the only way to see him would be at class, and decided she’d catch him there.

Or so she had hoped.

 

Hyun sighed as she shifted her eyes from her professor to Jeon Jungkook, sitting two rows ahead of her, next to some chick who couldn’t seem to stop talking to him. Hyun’s mouth formed a small pout as she fixed her gaze on the back of Jungkook’s head. It was true she hoped for his independence, but only on the condition that they were on good terms with each other. And at the moment, their terms were far from good. Hyun knew it was her fault.

 

“In case you haven’t noticed, I’m all better now, thanks for asking,” Seokjin fixed his glasses as he set his notes down on the podium. 

“We missed you,” a student blurted out, making the whole class laugh. Seokjin shook his head in amusement.

“Glad to have been missed because I’m back with two lectures to give. I hope you all did your reading,” he said before he heard a few groans throughout the hall.  

His eyes darted up and immediately caught Hyun’s eyes set on a male student he now recognized quite well: Jeon Jungkook.

Seokjin felt a pang in his chest.

He ignored it. 

 

“I’d like to begin by discussing the first reading…” Seokjin continued his lecture, trying to rid the slight discomfort that grew in his heart. And as if his mouth and brain were disconnected, his professional self allowed him to give his planned lectures all the while his eyes and mind never left Hyun. 

 

And that didn’t go unnoticed by Jeon Jungkook himself, who began to raise a brow as he saw Seokjin’s eyes repeatedly set on someone behind him. He knew all too well where his Hyunnie noona sat despite sitting in front of her, and although he didn’t want to believe it, he was quite certain his professor was looking in her direction. But he shook off the thought; there were other students sitting back there too.

 

“Jungkook-ah,” the girl next to him whispered, sliding closer to him and breaking his thoughts. Jungkook slid away from her. 

“The professor talks way too fast; can I see your notes?” she whispered a second time, and Jungkook almost gagged at the whiff of her sweet perfume.

“Please?” she tried again, her finger poking his arm. Jungkook pulled back, finally turning to look at her. His eyes were cold as they stared right at her, making her flinch.

 

“Don’t touch me ever again,” he said, but it wasn’t a whisper. That was made clear as the whole class stared at the two of them, including Seokjin. The girl shrank in her seat in embarrassment. 

 

“Is there a problem sir?” Seokjin placed his hands on the side of the podium, elbows straight and face turned towards Jungkook.

“No, sir. Sorry sir,” Jungkook replied, shaking his head. Hyun gulped.

“Well since you have all of our attention,” Seokjin’s lips turned into a small smile. “Could you please tell us your own thoughts on the past readings?”

“Are you referring to the readings on ethos sir?” Jungkook reached for his book, not at all taken aback by the professor’s rather sudden question.

“Yes,” Seokjin nodded.

“What exactly would you like me to say about it?” Jungkook looked up.

“I’m just wondering if you had any insights you’d like to share,” Seokjin shrugged.

“I’m sure whatever I have to share isn’t all that insightful, but I do think the author had valid points. I’d say ethos is needed prior to the other 2 appeals because the speaker using rhetoric should be someone the audience actually respects and wants to listen to. Depending on who the speaker is, one might not be interested in listening to them in the first place. And so there wouldn’t be a chance for the speaker to even attempt using rhetoric,” Jungkook said. There were a few nods around the hall, as if to second his thoughts. Hyun was just shocked he did his reading as she watched everything silently. 

“Okay, but what if the audience has no idea who the speaker is in the first place?” Seokjin asked.

“I guess it’ll depend on the situation, but even if the audience doesn’t know who the speaker is, there’s something about one’s posture, tone, demeanor, and attitude that determines their first impression. And first impressions go a long way, as the audience is likelier to listen to someone who appears confident and professional. Or at least someone who seems to know what they’re talking about,” Jungkook answered calmly. 

“Valid point. Thank you for your thoughts sir,” Seokjin smiled at his response. Not too bad for a hockey star. Seokjin decided not to press him further and soon looked over at the girl who had scooched her seat closer to Jungkook again.

“Miss, if you’re going to distract students who actually want to learn, I’m going to ask you to leave. And I will not ask twice,” Seokjin’s tone was biting, making the air cold. The girl nodded with a red face and slowly moved over to the empty seat away from Jungkook. Hyun couldn’t help but feel bad for her; she was humiliated by the school’s most famous athlete and professor. Oof.

 

“Alright, let’s move onto the second reading…” Seokjin continued his lecture, this time with no interruptions. He decided to focus solely on class, and not look over at Hyun nor the hockey player again. After all, he wanted to maintain his own ethos and keep things professional. 

 

He did not want to appear as a professor who gave in to personal emotions. 

 

He did not want to have negative feelings towards students who did their readings and answered his questions well. 

 

Because why would he? What reason could be big enough to dislike such a student who did everything the professor asked him to?

 

 

Seokjin unconsciously glanced over at Hyun once more, who had her big eyes once again fixed on the star hockey player who just proved he had done the readings. 

 

Seokjin felt the discomfort in his heart he had pushed down bubbling up again. 

 

 

 

It turned out seeing Hyun’s eyes on the back of Jungkook’s head instead of his own face was big enough of a reason to dislike a student who did everything the professor asked him to.

 

 

***

 

 

“Jeon Jungkook!”

 

Hyun scurried after the bunny once class was over. She could tell he was trying to run away. 

 

“Hey!” She was a few centimeters from grabbing his hoodie when he suddenly stopped, making her bump into his hard back. 

 

“Ouch…” Hyun muttered as she rubbed her squashed nose. She looked around the bunny to see what had made him abruptly stop and her eyes grew big as she saw who it was that stood before Jungkook.

 

 

“Are you done with class?” a pretty smile glowed on a pretty face. It was Ye Jin, the school’s top ballerina. Even Hyun knew about her, given that her name was such a buzz.

 

“...” Jungkook didn’t reply and just stared at her, his thoughts entirely on another girl who had just face-bumped his back. He knew it was Hyun and was fighting back every ounce of desire to turn around to make sure she was okay.

It felt like hell. 

 

 

“Hello?” the girl waved her brightly manicured hand over Jungkook’s face, trying to snap him out of his trance. This was Ye Jin’s second time approaching the bunny, and she was determined to win him over this time. It was almost as if she had forgotten how mortified Jungkook made her feel the first time she had asked him out.

Or maybe her confidence and perseverance were as top class as her ballet skills.

Or perhaps it was both.

 

“What do you want?” Jungkook raised a brow, clearly annoyed. It was obvious he didn’t even remember her. But Ye Jin expected it and enlarged her beautifully painted eyes as her long eyelashes fluttered.

 

“Do you want to go with me to school’s fall festival?” she asked, flashing her pretty smile once more. She slightly grabbed Jungkook’s sleeve when he didn’t respond, swaying it a little. It was her method of getting her way with guys, and it had an impressive success rate. She could confidently say ten out of ten guys would nod yes to her requests at that.

She hoped she wasn’t wrong. 

 

“What makes you think I’d say…” Jungkook started to say before remembering who was behind him.

The very person he needed to ignore and avoid. He clenched a fist around his bag strap and opened his mouth.

 

 

“Okay. I’ll go with you,” he said, looking straight and pulling his other hand away from Ye Jin’s grasp.

 

Ye Jin grinned happily. She was right. Her success rate held true. And she had won over the cold bunny. 

 

 

Or so she thought.

 

 

“Great! Let’s meet near the athletic dorms and head over together! See you Jungkook-ah,” she chirped, patting him on the arm. Murmurs of what just happened could be heard throughout the building hall, a mixture of surprise and envy. Jungkook continued walking, gritting his teeth in pain for having said something he would most likely regret.

That and it pained him even more that he was currently walking away from the love of his life.

Intentionally.

 

 

Hyun blinked a couple of times, registering what had just happened. She had thought Jungkook would have a hard time moving on from her. After all, Hyun was getting over someone herself, and she knew how daunting it could be. But seeing how he had so easily accepted a date request from the school’s queen ballerina only proved that Hyun was wrong.

 

 

Or so she thought.

 

 

Words couldn’t quite describe what she felt at the moment, watching her childhood clinger walking farther and farther away from her without even acknowledging her presence. It felt…weird, like a piece of her was crumbling. And she couldn’t seem to pinpoint why.

She should feel glad he was moving on, right?

She should be relieved he was no longer the obsessive dongsaeng she knew him to be, right?

She should be grateful he found someone suitable for him, right?

She knew she should be happy for the two of them: a star hockey player and queen ballerina went well together. Not an English major who was struggling to forget her crush and a clingy baby who paid no attention to anyone besides his noona.

 

 

Right?

 

 

But for some reason, Hyun couldn’t seem to say yes to those questions.

 

 

***

 

 

“Did you hear how we are going to have to supervise the English department’s bookmark booth at the school’s fall festival?” Yoongi asked the moment Seokjin stepped into their shared office. Seokjin blinked twice.

“Says who?” He put down his books on his desk.

“Says the head of the department. He stressed it ought to be the two “youngest professors” on the team,” Yoongi put up air quotes as he shook his head. “The only perk of being young now is having just enough energy to do everyone’s unwanted, strenuous work.”

“I was really hoping we didn’t have to show up to that festival,” Seokjin groaned, realizing a precious Saturday of his would be wasted. The school’s annual fall festival was exciting for students, but for faculty members it was a draining extra work day, with lots to plan and clean up. The English department usually had a few booths, with the most popular one being the bookmark booth. It was the one where students came to make hard pressed floral bookmarks, deemed perfect for gifts. Students would help lead it with two supervising professors, which happened to be Yoongi and Seokjin this year.

 

“Did you hear who the students running it with us would be?” Yoongi asked, his hands now folded with elbows on his desk. He smiled.

 

“Who?” Seokjin asked, not really curious.

 

 

“Sae-ha, Zion, and…Hyunnie.”

 

 

“Hyunnie..?” Seokjin repeated, slowly registering who Yoongi was referring to. Surely there were multiple Hyunnies, right?

But perhaps not in the English department.

 

“Yes. Do Hyun,” Yoongi confirmed Seokjin’s thoughts. He tilted his head. “But I mean, you’re okay with that right?” 

 

“Yes of course,” Seokjin finally sat down in his chair, turning his computer on. His mind flashed a picture of Hyun running out of his class after Jeon Jungkook the moment his lecture ended, a sight Seokjin didn’t know could be so annoying. He had quickly brushed off his feelings and came straight to his office, but it didn’t help to know he would be in the same booth during the fall festival as Hyun. He hoped things wouldn’t be too awkward. 

 

“Okay good. Things aren’t too awkward with her are they?” Yoongi asked, almost reading his thoughts. “Didn’t she nurse you during your cold?” 

 

 

Seokjin froze.

 

He looked straight at Yoongi, his eyes narrowing. 

 

 

“How did you—were you the one who told her my address?” Seokjin asked, the puzzle pieces now coming together. He had wondered how Hyun had even known where he lived in the first place. It turned out Min Yoongi was the culprit. 

 

“Sorry,” the culprit smiled sheepishly. He shrugged, “She seemed super worried about you and plus, I knew you’d need someone to nurse you, you loner.”

 

Seokjin kept his mouth shut at that for mainly two reasons. One, as much as he hated to admit it, Yoongi was right. He was a loner in his dark house. And two, something about Hyun being “super worried” about him melted away his bitterness from class.

He bit his lip to keep it from smiling.

 

“Seems like I did the okay thing, if not the right thing,” Yoongi showed his gums, smiling as he glanced at Seokjin. “You look much better thanks to her.”

“She was…quite the cook,” Seokjin agreed, nodding. He thought it was a rather odd situation that both he and his colleague didn’t think it was weird for Hyun to come to the rescue. A student nursing her professor—cooking for him and making sure he was okay definitely wasn’t normal. But it was a fact that both professors were relieved there was someone to look after Kim Seokjin the loner (lol). 

 

“You should thank her properly,” Yoongi broke Seokjin’s thoughts, replacing them with a new series of thoughts. It was true he had gotten much better thanks to Hyun, and her warmth had healed not just his ill body but also a bit of his cold heart. Seokjin was without a doubt grateful. He silently hoped it was just that and not…anything else.

Or anything more.

 

“Right,” he ended up responding. Seokjin knew he should repay Hyun’s kindness, but he wasn’t sure with what.

 

Should he offer more academic advising?

Lame.

Should he give her a better grade in his class?

Illegal.

Should he get her some snacks?

Meh. 

 

 

“Like seriously. Buy her a meal or something,” Yoongi said, getting up from his seat. He grabbed some books and his coat. 

“A meal?” Seokjin repeated, eyebrows raised. Yoongi nodded.

“Yes. I’d say that’s a decent token of appreciation,” Yoongi shrugged before reaching for the door. “I’m headed off to class now, but just think about it.”

 

 

And with that, Professor Min was gone, leaving a very befuddled Seokjin burying his head in his hands. He ran his long fingers through his hair, sighing deeply. Buying a meal wouldn’t be so bad, would it? Seokjin lifted his head and reached for his drawer, pulling it open to grab a piece of dark chocolate. He popped the piece into his mouth, still lost in thought.

 

If Seokjin was truly honest, he wasn’t worried about actually buying Hyun the meal. In fact, he’d probably be glad he could pay her back and spend some time with her. 

 

What Seokjin was really worried about was whether he could buy her a meal.

 

Because she could very well say no to his offer.

 

And that scared Seokjin. Something that was incredibly rare.

 

Seokjin knitted his eyebrows in discomfort, the chocolate in his mouth tasting more bitter than usual. 

 

 

***

 

 

“Hyun-ah, what time are you headed for the fall festival?” Ji Eun asked, drying her freshly washed hair with her towel. It was already Saturday, and the girls were in their dorm apartment doing three different things.

 

“I have to be there early because I’m helping out at a booth,” Hyun responded, eyes glued to her computer screen. Her hands were busy typing out an assignment. Just like some professors, there were some students dreading having their precious catch-up Saturday replaced by the fall festival. And all Hyun could do was silently hope it would at least be fun.

But helping out in a booth made it even more difficult to “be fun.”

 

 

“What? So we can’t go around together?” Ji Eun pouted, running her fingers through her damp hair. She called Sooyoung, who was doing her makeup in her room. “Sooyoung-ah, Hyunnie’s working at a booth tonight!” 

“Aw are you kidding? That ,” Sooyoung called from inside, her voice whiny. “Can’t you ask someone else to do it for you?”

“Can’t. I already said I’d do it,” Hyun responded, finally submitting her work. She closed her laptop shut and smiled wearily. “You girls have fun for me though.”

“We’re going to go find you anyway, but at least eat with us later?” Ji Eun asked, eyes big and hopeful. Hyun laughed at that before nodding.

“Yes, let’s aim for that,” she replied as Sooyoung’s voice from her room was heard again. “You better eat with us!”

“I’ll try,” Hyun laughed once more before getting up from the dining table. She gathered her belongings before heading into her own room, where she’d have to get ready in half an hour. She sighed deeply, feeling a wave of tiredness. After a few seconds of mentally preparing herself, she began to get to work: putting on light makeup before brushing out her short hair and putting on a fluffy knit sweater over her jeans. She then grabbed her bag and threw in her essentials before heading out, not realizing her phone was still on her bed. 

 

 

 It was definitely autumn. Hyun looked at the brightly colored leaves falling to the ground, the air chilly and the sun already starting to set. Hyun hugged her arms as she heard the crunch of leaves with each step she took. She quickly made her way to the main part of campus, where the fall festival booths were set up. 

 

“Over here sunbaenim!” 

 

 

Hyun heard one of the underclassmen, Sae-ha, also helping out call her over. She waved at her and came running to the booth. 

 

“Wow, you guys did such a great job already. Am I late?” Hyun eyed all the materials laid perfectly out on the tables and immediately felt bad for not helping out with the set up. She could have sworn she wasn’t late, and she looked in her bag for her phone to check the time…only to realize her phone was not there. 

 

Shoot. she thought, realizing she must have left it in her room and putting her bag down on a chair behind the tables. She quickly looked around in search for anything else to help out with.

 

“No you’re not late. We actually came a few minutes ago ourselves and found everything already set up,” Sae-ha shrugged. She smiled, “I mean, we’re not complaining.”

 

“You better not be,” a voice was heard from behind them, and they turned around to see Yoongi ducking under the booth tent with extra materials in a box. He grinned his signature gummy smile. “Since the professors did all the setting up, you guys run the activities, ‘kay?”

“Yes sir,” the students nodded vigorously. 

“Did you do all this by yourself Professor Min?” Hyun asked, reaching for the box in Yoongi’s hands. He shook his head as he let her take it.

“No, of course not. If I’m honest, I’d say I did maybe 40 percent of the work. The other 60 percent was done by…” Yoongi paused, looking over his shoulder before continuing.

 

“Him.”

 

 

Hyun’s eyes followed Yoongi’s gaze and she froze when she saw who “him” was. Walking towards the booth with another large box in his hands was Kim Seokjin, dressed in a brown crew neck sweater and joggers. His hair was neat but clearly not styled, and she could see his weary eyes behind his black framed glasses. He looked so casual yet put together and Hyun had to force herself to stop staring. She quickly turned to Yoongi and asked where she should put the box. It wasn’t new that Professor Kim was quite the looker despite his evident exhaustion.

But it was unexpected that he’d be working at the same booth as her. 

 

“Thank you for your work in setting everything up Professor,” another student bowed as he took the box from Seokjin’s hands and placed it on the ground. He began unpacking the box and laying more materials out on the tables, wanting to let Seokjin rest. The rest of the students soon thanked Seokjin as well, and gestured to a chair for him to sit. 

 

“Do I look that tired? I’m fine guys,” Seokjin chuckled at their actions before giving in and sitting down. The students began to scurry to adjust signs and get more chairs for their booth once they saw he was settled. Seokjin smiled a little at their hectic sight and began to look around until his eyes landed on Hyun, who was having a conversation with Yoongi. He found his lips smiling at her sight, eyes fixed.

It wasn’t long before he got up from his settled seat.

 

 

“Hi Hyun-ah,” he said with a sugary voice, coming up next to her once she had finished talking and Yoongi had stepped away. She turned to look at him in surprise, and when she saw no one was paying attention to them, she smiled before politely bowing. 

 

“Hello Professor. Hope your cold is completely gone,” she greeted. She scanned him and added, “You definitely look better.”

 

“All thanks to you,” Seokjin nodded. It wasn’t necessarily awkward between the two, and if anything Hyun was just genuinely glad she could be of help to him. She was slowly transitioning to making sure her care and attention for Kim Seokjin was entirely platonic, even if he was a walking eye candy that often tempted her. 

 

 

But for Seokjin, it was a tad different.

 

He was coming up with all sorts of ways to ask her if he could buy her a meal like Yoongi had suggested.

And for some reason, he felt a little nervous around her now. He found himself cautious, his brain reviewing each sentence he was about to say to her a dozen times before giving his mouth the ‘ok’ to proceed.

All that made him not even able to notice his heart beating a little faster too. 

 

“Don’t mention it, sir. It’s great that you’ve recovered,” Hyun smiled bigger, her eyes bright. Seokjin couldn’t take his own eyes off her. He never realized how…pretty her smile could be.

How pretty her eyes could be.

How pretty she could be.

He thought he was going mad.

 

“No, you have to let me repay you somehow,” Seokjin shook his head, trying to snap out of it. He then gave Hyun a toothless smile as he bent over to meet her at eye level. Hyun gasped a little, her face flushing a light pink. She quickly covered her face with her hands and began to back away. She looked down in embarrassment.

This was definitely not helping her get over him.

 

Why was he leaning in so close? 

 

“Can I buy you a meal sometime?” Seokjin asked, his voice low and quiet. He leaned even closer, wanting to catch her eyes.

 

The big, bright eyes he grew more and more fond of. 

 

“No, you really don’t have to worry about it,” Hyun began to shake her head when Seokjin wrapped his large hands around her wrists, gently pulling her hands away from her heated face. 

 

“Please, Hyun-ah?” he said, looking at her with pleading eyes. It was a look Hyun had never seen her professor make before. After all, when was the “perfect” and “professional” Kim Seokjin ever (this) desperate?

 

Never.

 

“May I please?” he repeated, raising his brows higher. Hyun’s eyebrows mirrored his as she couldn’t seem to open to answer. What in the world was happening? 

 

 

 

“What the hell?” 

 

 

 

Another voice was heard from behind, asking the question Hyun was wondering…only in a much more aggressive tone.

The voice was cold but familiar.

Too familiar.

Hyun turned her head to confirm her guess and sure enough was met with a Jeon Jungkook standing by the booth—his eyes fiery and fists clenched. And before she or Seokjin could move, he stomped over and yanked Hyun’s wrists free from Seokjin’s grasp. He interlaced his own fingers with Hyun’s and pulled her behind him. 

 

“Back off sir,” he said with clenched teeth. He glared at Seokjin, his chin high and shoulders broad. 

 

“Kook-ah, what are you—” Hyun began to say, shocked that Jeon Jungkook was even involved in all this, after ignoring her all week. And where did he suddenly appear from?

“I’m sorry but we were in the middle of a conversation,” Seokjin’s face grew solemn as he straightened up and faced Jungkook. 

“What conversation could you have been having that needed you to touch her?” Jungkook kept his stance, his eyes narrowing as he gripped Hyun’s hand tighter. 

“That’s none of your business,” Seokjin snapped back, not able to keep his cool. He adjusted his glasses and folded his arms. He recognized the bunny before him annoyingly well now. He knew it was the same student who was known for his superior hockey skills and being the very person that stole Hyun’s attention during Seokjin’s class. Seokjin rolled his tongue along the inside of his cheek in annoyment. It wasn’t professional of him to behave this way, but he couldn’t help it.

There was a suffocating silence for a brief moment, until Seokjin decided to think of Hyun and break the ice.

 

“Let me know when you’re free, ‘kay?” he bent slightly to the side to catch a glimpse of Hyun, who was standing frozen behind Jungkook.  

 

“What are you—” 

 

“Yes sir,” Hyun nodded rapidly, cutting Jungkook off and just desperately wanting the whole situation to die down. She looked over at the booth and was relieved people were so busy they weren’t paying attention to them. Seokjin smiled at her response and turned around when his name was called, summoning him. Jungkook wanted to protest at what had just happened but stopped when he turned to look at Hyun’s face.

His eyes took in her pink, flushed face.

And he felt his heart drop when he saw the way her eyes nearly sparkled at Seokjin, now helping set down chairs even with two students telling him to rest. 

 

What was happening? Why did his Hyunnie noona have that face on?

 

He’d seen her smile and laugh many times, but the face she had on at the current moment was one he’d never seen before. It was the kind of face Jungkook would have if she were to ask him out to a meal. 

 

Everything suddenly began to match up in Jungkook’s mind as he let go of Hyun’s hand, making her move her attention from the professor she was trying so hard to get over to the bunny she had been wanting to catch for the past week. 

 

 

“Kook-ah..?” 

 

 

His big doe eyes were filled with sadness. 

 

His mind replayed Hyun’s voice from that day she turned him down.

 

 

“I like someone else…”

 

 

His shoulders slumped and his hands went back into fists. 

 

Jungkook hated to admit it, but he knew he had to accept the bitter fact so clearly laid before him. It was too obvious to deny. 

 

 

 

The person who had Hyun’s heart was Kim Seokjin. 

 

 

 

And it was pure agony for Jungkook to even think about it. He never imagined the person Hyun liked was someone he knew and someone who had nothing in common with him. That meant her ideal type was everything Jungkook wasn’t: calm, collected, sharp, rational, and…mature.

A sophisticated taste, like bitter dark chocolate as opposed to a childish, sugary strawberry. 

 

Jungkook’s heart dropped even lower, not even noticing Hyun who was eyeing him worriedly, unsure what was going on.

 

 

But in all honesty, it was quite humorous that Jungkook was this devastated about Hyun having a year-and-a-half old crush on her professor. 

 

 As if that was going to stop the competitive, clingy bunny from doing everything he could to win back his 12-year old crush he deemed his soul mate. After all, he didn’t even know Hyun was trying to get over her crush.

 

Yet.

 

 

Humorous indeed, no? 

 

 

Let the games begin.

 

 

***


Author's Notes:

1rpq22NCjtT_0byehmx2oX1qv2KpWA8HLj3QnjoD4dbOfN76nrN8m1fkQVjWPZNI4MX7516_UgatqCNIj-oVF7AxXS_hWAm4gA0YHyn0fmdEaV35dlSfyWlgDa1FojkYSjqlZQFbFdYioq0ln3ABI0k

HELLO THEREEEEEEE (crawls out of coffin).....heh....

 

Well it's been a literal decade like LITERALLY YEARS since I've posted so I'm pretty sure nobody's still reading this....but I wanted to at least finish this tale since I've started it... shame on me for forgetting about this for so long....

That and I miss the boys so much after they all decided to enlist UHUHUHU

 

I actually forgot how to write so I'm not confident this story is even going to end well...and I apologize for the major degrade in quality... and mistakes...haha....

 

I hope anyone reading this has a wonderful day and great start to the new year~! I'm going to try to write when I can but I promise I will finish this story...even if it takes forever and if it's my last!:)

(I don't blame anyone for giving up on this story BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST TO NOT GIVE UP MYSELF.!)

 

XOXO,

@blonde_cup_of_joe