Procession

Seven Queens

Procession

Yoohyeon crept through the empty throne room. It had lost some of its intimidating aura in the few months she had now lived in the palace but in the middle of the night it still seemed like something might be lurking in the deep shadows.

    Without knocking she edged open the door to Jiu’s room. They had all settled in, servants bringing them all sorts of things to make their rooms seem more homely, but Jiu’s seemed the most comfy for some reason. She had a lot of throws and cushions and just generally more space than the others. Yoohyeon was still trying to make her room her own. The flowers Gahyeon had brought up from the royal garden helped. Her home of Acerage was known for exporting flowers all over the kingdom and she had thought some traditional Faeland flowers might brighten Yoohyeon’s room. She hadn’t been wrong.

    All the other queens were very sweet and friendly. Yoohyeon hadn’t thought much about what would happen if any of them didn’t get along but luckily that hadn’t happened. So far everything they had been asked to do had been fun because they hadn’t been doing it alone.

    “Jiu?” she whispered into the dark. If her friend was fast asleep she would just leave her alone but she hoped she wasn’t.

    In the wide, dark bed at the far side of the room a shape shifted and Jiu mumbled sleepily. “Yoohyeon?”

    “It’s me.” Yoohyeon crept over to the bed and hovered, suddenly uncertain. “Did I wake you?”

    “No, it’s fine. What’s wrong?”

    “I- I can’t sleep.”

    Jiu lifted the cover. “Hop in.”

    Yoohyeon slipped into the bed next to Jiu, getting comfortable.

    “Are you nervous about tomorrow?” asked Jiu. She had to her side to face Yoohyeon and through the darkness her features were becoming clearer.

    “I guess,” said Yoohyeon. “I feel like I haven’t left the palace since I got here and there’s going to be a lot of people. What if I trip over in front of everyone or something?”

    Jiu laughed. “Then we’ll pick you up. If anyone’s going to trip though I’m betting on Gahyeon.”

    Yoohyeon laughed back. The youngest member had been given heels to wear under her dress to make her taller. So had Sua but unlike Sua Gahyeon had very little experience walking in heels and the others had had to give her lessons. She was still looking a little uncertain of doing it smoothly when the time came.

    “I hope she doesn’t,” Yoohyeon said honestly. “She would be so embarrassed.”

    “We’ll make sure she doesn’t.”

    Yoohyeon lay quietly after that for a while. She could tell Jiu was sleepy but she had still taken the time to talk to her. She would help Gahyeon and whoever else needed it tomorrow. That’s why she had been chosen as HIgh Queen. While they were all technically queens it was the High Queen who had the most power. She was the one, decided by a committee before their formal presentation to the people, who was really in charge. The rest would help and maybe have authority over their own area such as arts or education or the army. The High Queen could change of course if there was reason but right now no one seemed to be arguing with Jiu being the best choice.

    She was perfect after all. Yoohyeon wished she could be so composed, so caring, so charming. Even lying asleep beside her now Jiu looked perfect. She seemed to calm while Yoohyeon’s stomach was roiling with nerves and excitement. 

    Shifting a little closer to her friend, careful not to wake her, Yoohyeon closed her eyes and tried to sleep.


 

The procession started a little before midday meaning Yoohyeon had been nervous about it all morning. At least she was reassured by same nervous energy going through most of the others too. Gahyeon kept getting lost in her thoughts, Sua didn’t want to eat anything and Handong double, triple and quadruple checked what they were expected to do.

    The rode now in two carriages toward the temple where they would be formally crowned. It was a chance for the people in the city to see their new queens, most of them for the first time. 

    Yoohyeon, Handong and Jiu rode in the first carriage, waving and smiling to the people lining the streets. Everyone was cheering and waving little flags. It looked like they were having a good time. As Yoohyeon waved back at them she began to forget her nerves a little. It was fun having so many people cheering for her. It felt a lot like when she had left home, the first Fairy queen in generations.

    Still, her free hand didn’t stop clasping Jiu’s tightly for reassurance.

    Outside the temple they dismounted and fell into formation. The palace court – the ones who seemed to run everything – had been over and over this part of the ceremony with them. It had to look smooth. 

    Jiu would walk in front, the High Queen, and the others would fall into pairs behind. Yoohyeon was right behind Jiu, paired with Dami. Behind were Siyeon and Sua. Lastly were Handong and Gahyeon. She supposed it was based on the order they had arrived at the palace but mostly she was just happy to be near the front.

    She stood up straight, lifting her head the way Dami had taught her. She was the daughter of an illustrious general after all. She knew a lot about looking authoritative and dignified. She had been under people’s observation at formal events before even if they weren’t on this level. Handong was similar. She came from one of the highest ranking families in YinJin and without looking back, because she wasn’t supposed to, Yoohyeon knew Handong would look a lot like Dami. 

    Where Jiu got her easy, flowing composure from she didn’t know but there she was in front, leading the way like it came naturally. Yoohyeon glided along in her wake, her flowing white dress with its gold trim – the same outfit they were all wearing – flowing behind her.

    “Look at her,” said a voice from the crowd. They sounded young and excited, their tone filled with awe. “She must be the fairy. Her hair is so pretty.”

    Yoohyeon felt a little blush on her cheeks and stood a little straighter. It took a lot of effort not to turn and see who was talking.

    “I know,” said another voice, replying to the first. “I would love to have purple hair.”

    Yoohyeon almost stumbled. Through the rest of the crowd’s noise she somehow seemed to hear the two voices as if they were shouting above all the others.

    “At least you don’t have grey hair.” A sharp laugh accompanied the words.

    “Yeah, that one looks like an old lady.”

    Yoohyeon pressed her lips together tightly, embarrassed heat flushing her cheeks. They were at the temple steps now and it took more effort than it should have to walk up them smoothly. She didn’t dare glance sideways at Dami to see if she had heard the embarrassing comments. She hoped she hadn’t. Grey hair was fairly common where she came from but she guessed not in Seven City. Not unless you were old. She had always liked her hair before. It was long and soft and pretty. Then again no one had ever made her feel like it wasn’t “fairy enough” before. Or worse, unattractive.

    She found herself going through the motions of the rest of the ceremony. Smiling when she was expected to. Reciting the words they had been practising. Moving from place to place as necessary.

    Finally they knelt down in a line, Jiu in the centre and just a little bit in front of the others. A crown was placed on each of their heads. Jiu’s was gold while the others were a silvery white but they all looked mostly the same. In fact they reminded her of the circular wreathes of flowers her people wore for festivals and weddings. Lots of little strands of silver were intricately intertwined to make a sort of halo that sat atop her grey hair. It was light but felt oddly heavy.

    She glanced across at Jiu wondering if hers felt the same but when her friend lifted her head with a bright smile she knew it weighed nothing at all.

 

A/N: Thank you for the comments last time, the new subs and upvotes too.
I feel mean making poor Yoohyeon feel bad. Yoohyeon stans please forgive me.