Ch.7 - Unnie

Strings Entangled

   The sun rays shone on her face as she woke up from a good night's sleep. This was how Yonghee usually woke her up, opening the curtains to let the bright sunshine into her room. Usually Yongsun was an early riser, but the two cans of beer she had last night made her feel a bit dizzy. After 2-3 yawns, 4-5 tosses and turns in the bed, Yongsun got up to wash her face. 

   As she splashed cold water on her face, she finally felt like being awake. Making herself a cup of coffee, Yongsun walked to her balcony. With each sip of the warm beverage, thoughts from last night invaded her mind. Thoughts about how Wheein sounded on the call, about how she asked if Yongsun had nothing more to say, how Yongsun tried to dodge the question and how she would have to face Wheein if she attended the exhibition. As she finished her coffee she glanced at the clock, 9am it said. 

"One hour to get ready..."

   Yongsun took a warm bath and dressed up for office. She heated up the leftover Kimchi Fried rice from last night and had a light breakfast. As she completed all of her chores, she took her car keys and left for her office.

                                                                                                ____________________________________


   
"But Unnie, why do you keep assigning me these projects!"

"Yongsun, work is work. Do not let your personal life get in the way."

"But Unnie, we have many more designers...then why does it have to be be?"

"Because they asked for you, Yong! I don't want to get you hurt, but this is important Yong. Both for you and the company. Hyejin is a top star and the event is a very high profile event. This is a great opportunity for you as well as our company!"

"I know Unnie but..."

 

    Yonghee and Yongsun were arguing about the recent design offer they received from Hyejin's agency. They wanted Yongsun to design outfits for Hyejin's appearance at the 25 year anniversary event for Starship Entertainment. As they were in the middle of the heated argument, a pretty 30-some lady entered their cabin. 

"Oops...looks like this is not the best time for me ....."

"Oh no, come on in, anyways I'm done talking to her. Yongsun, it's final! You are taking up this project. You are having a meeting with Hyejin at 5pm at her agency. Complete the shoot and then make sure you attend the meeting, I'm not listening to any of your excuses."

    As Yonghee left the cabin, the two women were left alone. Yongsun looked up to the other woman and gave a weak smile. She took Yongsun's hand and guided her to the couch.

"Yongsun-ah, I know you've been hurt and sad all these years because of what happened then. I understand Hyejin was at fault. But you very well know her intention wasn't wrong. I've met her quite a few times and believe me she hasn't changed at all."

"Of course I know she wasn't wrong. I mean she did it for Byul, but the thing is the situation only worsened. Also, you know how Byul would react if she knew I met her."

"Well the situation maybe worse, but you can see how Byul is now doing something good for herself. She now has some goals for herself. She now atleast thinks about herself."

"Yea...I know that but..."

"And Yongsun, I know you. I know you want to be the best. I know you want the best for this company. If not for yourself, for the dream Yonghee Unnie believes in. And I know you share the dream too!"

"Well, I cannot deny that. This company is all I've thought about all these years", Yongsun sighed, "Well then, I'd have to do it !"

"Yess...that's my Yongsun! Ahh I missed you so much, Yongsun-ah!"

"I missed you so much more, Joohyun-ah! Spending time with you feels like I've become a kid again", Yongsun could remember all of her childood memories whenever she was with Joohyun.

    Bae Joohyun, Yongsun's childhood friend and also her first girlfriend. They've been together ever since they were kids. They went to the same schools and have been friends all their lives. After years of perseverence, Joohyun was now among the most famous models in South Korea. Yonghee loved her vibe and would often collaborate with her for her designer collection releases. Today Joohyun was here to shoot for the latest collection which included designs from Yongsun and few upcoming designers.

"But Yongsun-ah, I must say...your designs, they attract me a lot and it's so great I can work with you."

"Ahh, the Bae Joohyun is working with me...it's absolutely my pleasure", Yongsun chuckled as she .

"But there's one thing I'm really mad about", said Joohyun as she turned away and pouted.

"Oh my god, what is it? I didn't realise, we've been talking just about me!"

"That's right, you've become too selfish."

    Yongsun looked at her with a puzzled expression.

"It's been so many years since we met and you still haven't given me a hug, you dumbhead!"

"Ahh...uri Joohyunie...mianhe" said Yongsun as she sat beside Joohyun and hugged her from behind. Joohyun turned around and hugged her. "I missed you, you fool!"

"I know", as Yongsun freed herself from Joohyun's embrace, she asked curiously, "Okay so now about you, how's it going between you and Seulgi?"

"Well, after you two left, Seulgi was quite lonely and so I, Chorong and she started hanging out together. You know how she's dorky and I loved her for that. After an year she finally gained some courage and confessed her feelings to me. Back then I wasn't sure about my feelings but we started dating. Then within a few months I realised that I loved her too. I mean the way she cared for me, she made me feel special. I couldn't help but adore her and love her more. Since then we have been in a relationship and since 10 months ago, we've been living together. So, right now we're very happy and focusing on building our careers. Let's see what the future holds for us!"

    Yongsun was so happy to hear this. Atleast one of her important people was happy. She could see her eyes lit up with joy as she talked about Seulgi.

"Congratulations, Joohyun-ah! I'm so happy for you. May you always keep smiling like this", smiled Yongsun as she placed her hand on Joohyun's.

"Aww...sweetie. Thank you so much!", Joohyun glanced at the clock and realised it was time for the shoot. "Now let's go, or Yonghee Unnie's gonna get real mad" reminded Joohyun and they both left for the shoot location.


     After the shoot was over, Yongsun noticed it was time to leave for the meeting at Hyejin's agency. With tons of thoughts on her mind, she got into the driver's seat in her car and sighed as she glanced at the project file that lied on the passenger's seat. This was gonna be a long day...

                                                                                                   

                                                                                        __________________________________________

 

    Yongsun finally reached the building and went up to the meeting room. She took a deep breath and entered the room.

    As she looked at Hyejin, all those memories came flooding back. The trips they shared, how the four of them hanged out together. Roaming around in college campus, exploring fastfood corners, having the time of their lives in the karaoke. She tried hard to drag her feet and sat on the chair in front of her. Hyejin kept looking at her with an expression mixed with sadness and affection. She tried to break the ice first.

"Hi...Yongsun Unnie"

Yongsun tried to maintain professionalism to prevent her tears from falling, "Hwasa-shi, Thank you so much for choosing us. It's a great pleasure to work for you."

"Ah..", Hyejin was a bit disappointed, "so I guess I can't call you Unnie"

"I think it'd be great for us to maintain our work relationship"

    Hyejin couldn't fight her. They talked about whatevar details they had in mind and it was time for Yongsun to leave.

"Ms.Kim, can you please follow me to somewhere" Yongsun tried to protest. But Hyejin insisted, in a formal way. Yongsun followed her as she guided her to the terrace. It was evening and a cool breeze blew past them.

    Hyejin turned around.

"Unnie, are you never gonna forgive me? Can't we just..." Yongsun tried to leave but Hyejin blocked her. She stood in her way. As Yongsun looked up to face Hyejin, she found tears running through the younger girl's cheeks. Yongsun tried to control. She didn't want to be seen broken.

"Unnie, Yongsun Unnie, I'm sorry. Please. I know whatevar I did hurt all of us. But Unnie, how could I let her destroy herself because of me! I couldn't Unnie. It was hard for me too. I missed her, I missed all of you. You very well know how Byulyi Unnie was leaving every opportunity for me. It felt hard, I couldn't take it anymore Unnie", Hyejin was sobbing and trying to stop her tears which kept flowing. She expected Yongsun to say something but she was quiet. She heard a soft muffle and looked at Yongsun.

"Unnie?...what did you call me? Unnie? I understand that Byul was wrong. She was naive, she was being ignorant. I understand all of that. It was hard for you, I understand that too. But if even once you've thought of me as an Unnie, can't you just talk to me once. Byul is my best friend, she's always been important to me. But I thought of you as a real younger sister", Yongsun couldn't hold her tears anymore. "How could I watch my sister having a hard time. But how can you not talk to me atleast once. We could've found a way together. We could've tried to make Byul understand all of this. You know what, that day it hurt more because I realized you never thought of me as an sister! You didn't trust me. I was never your Unnie, Hyejin-ah..."

    Both of them let out all of their tears now. They didn't try to hold back anymore. It was like they were finally being honest. 

"No Unnie, I'm sorry. But you've always been my Unnie. I missed you so much all these years. I'm so sorry Unnie, please forgive me. I miss my Yongsun Unnie. Please forgive your younger sister", Hyejin cried as she hugged Yongsun. She missed her. She missed her friend and Unnie from years ago. Yongsun hugged her back. Both of them held each other for few minutes until their tears stopped.

    Yongsun finally let her heart out, "I missed you, Hyejin-ah. It hurt like crazy to see Byul like that but I missed both of you so much. All the times when we smiled, cried together, I missed each and every moment from those days."

"I know, Unnie. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay now, Hyejin-ah. But you shouldn't have left Byul like that. You have no idea how Byul survived after you left. We could've done something together Hyejin-ah. She didn't love herself, I agree. But you were the only person who could make her love herself."

"Maybe, you're right. But I was young then. That was the only way I knew. But Unnie, you know something" Yongsun turned to look at Hyejin while she spoke, "Wheein, this incident hurt her too. I don't know much but I can say that you two definitely had unfinished issues."

"Did she tell you something?"

"No Unnie, you know how she is. She'd rather keep hurting by herself than make me worry. There have been a few times when we talked about both of you. She knew I always cried whenever I thought of Byulyi Unnie. Everytime we talked about you, she'd feel something. Her eyes would get teary. There was loneliness in the way she looked. She missed us too. But she could never say that to anyone. All these years, she's only worked hard and harder. Though we met often, her life still missed something."

    Yongsun listened to everything Hyejin said. She remembered Wheein's face when she found her unconscious in the gallery. She looked exhausted. That adorable and petite dimple girl, she couldn't find her anymore.

"Unnie, can you do me a favour?"

"What is it?"

"If you meet Wheein, can you please talk to her? Can you be by her side?"

    Yongsun thought about the old times. When she spent time with Wheein, the feelings Wheein made her feel. How happy she was whenever she saw the younger girl smile at her.

 

 

"Well, I guess I won't be able to runaway this time....."