Right Place, Right Time

In Stars Unseen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Okay, so there is nothing except for the farewell dance announcements that are supposed to be on today.” Kibum was explaining to Minho, who was sitting in front of a laptop that was hooked up to stuff he didn’t know about. “So you gotta be quick. Most teachers step out during lunch and I had Jinki and Jonghyun switch off the speaker inside the staff room before classes but there’s a speaker right outside the staff room, so it’s only a matter of an open door or a teacher stepping out–”

 

“I got it, Kibum.” Minho interrupted his frantic rambling. 

 

Yuri who had been keeping watch at the door stepped in, “Kibum’s taking the fall for us if anything goes wrong so you better not get caught. He volunteered to take Yoona’s place to play the recorded announcements during the breaks since no one from the club is coming in for special classes. It’s his name on the roster.”

 

“Make sure to keep all and any specific info out of it, you’ll put three clubs and the whole soccer team on the radar if you mess up. And don’t forget to change up your voice a little and especially to switch the ing thing off when you’re done.” Kibum pointed to the keyboard, “It’s just this one key, that’s all you have to do.”

 

Minho was nervous to the bone himself and it was getting worse with how frantically his friends were treating him, as if he was wired to screw up. He felt like he definitely would with all the nerves suffocating the room.

 

When they had finally left him, Minho took out a folded sheet of paper, he had been up late into the night trying to write it out. His anonymous confession which would only be anonymous to everyone except Taemin, with how he had chosen to write it. His heart was beating so heavily in a mixture of excitement and panic as he finally let the recorded announcement play first, to establish the atmosphere that everything was mundane on-air.

 

It was so cheesy in his head, following Yuri’s suggestion to mask the whole thing behind the Valentine’s day special program but he had added it, nevertheless. The announcement was ending and he looked at the laptop screen. He had never used this software and he realized his nervousness had made him muddle up the instructions he had received, which had resulted in a loud screech. Closing one eye in the shrillness, he finally grabbed the headphones, taking a deep breath as he pressed the correct key and got on-air.

 

“Sorry about that, it’s my first time hijacking a broadcast,” He chuckled nervously, remembering to change his voice a bit, “Good afternoon and just consider this a rogue continuation of the Stranger in Love segment from Valentine’s Day and me… just a stranger. A stranger reading his own confession letter.” 

 

Minho cringed at how he had laid down the introduction– he regretted not getting that run through from either Kibum or Yuri. But he knew he was running on borrowed time so he moved forward, pulling the confession letter he had written closer so he could look at it in between.

 

“This was not how it was supposed to happen, I had such different plans.” Minho sighed softly, smiling to himself, feeling less jittery at his voice filling the air, at how there was no way but forward, “But things don’t happen always according to your plans… but they still find a way to happen. One way or the other. We have all heard about how people are sometimes in the wrong places at the wrong times, but today I have realized that we are always in the right place and at the right time, it just doesn’t make sense to us until later. Almost three years ago, I thought I was in the wrong place and the wrong time when I unintentionally overheard a conversation. Someone had asked… What if someone confessed with a song? What song would it be?”

 

He paused, feeling his question linger in the silence around him, his heart picking up pace as he continued, pushing away every inhibition, his lips curving up again as he finally let it out.

 

“The one I love said… The person’s favorite song or the first song you ever listen to or dance to together.” He had said it, it was out and he breathed, hearing his own unsteady breath over the speakers, “When I sat down preparing for this yesterday, thinking back to what his favorite song could be… there were too many, he’s precious like that– he seems to be enjoying a different one every other day and he looks so lively, so beautiful as if all of those were his favorite songs and maybe they are and I love each of them too–” Minho realized he had rambled, not following his written letter at all and he paused, catching his breath, “...so I settled for the first song we listened to together. See? I was in the right place and the right time... only for today to happen.”

 

He pressed another key and a song started to play, the tune that had led him to Taemin that day… led him to where he was now. He bit his lip, almost missing his timing as he started singing.

 

Sometimes I wonder
How I'd ever make it through,
Through this world without having you
I just wouldn't have a clue

'Cause sometimes it seems
Like this world's closing in on me,
And there's no way of breaking free
And then I see you reach for me

 

The panic in his heart softened as he continued, his heart was racing, thinking about Taemin listening to him. Thinking about Taemin understanding, realizing that… that he felt the same way.

 

When I see you smile, I can face the world
Oh, oh, You know I can do anything
When I see you smile, I see a ray of light
Oh, oh I see it shining right through the rain
When I see you smile
Baby when I see you smile– 

 

He stopped abruptly to the sound of the door opening, to the steps approaching him and he turned, shifting his headphones to his shoulder, finding Taemin stop just a few steps away, breathless, flushed. Minho got up right away, stepping towards him. Taemin’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter