CHAPTER 3 : Virtual Insanity pt.1

Ae-jeong [affection]

Author POV

Chang & Friends company, Gangnam district

Their car entered a road with really big and scary trees around them, Haewon looks again at the address that was given to her. When the car got out of the dark mostly scary forest, they see a five-story building in front of them. They arrived at the front gate, and Haewon scanned the barcode code that comes along with the address, then suddenly the gate open. When they arrived at the lobby, there is a guy in all black suit and sunglass that open the door for them.

"Miss. Haewon?" asked the woman in her all-grey uniform as soon as they entered the building.

"Yes, that's me," Haewon answered. Then the woman looked at Jaehyun and looked at the name list that she brought. A little surprised when she realized that the man that came with Haewon was Jaehyun from NCT.

"Ah, he came with me," Haewon said to the woman.

"Ah, alright, it's very unusual to see an idol coming to this kind of place, you know it’s kinda dangerous" the woman explained while she escorted us to a room that kinda look like it used for investigation.  Hearing their arrival, the man immediately turned around from the whiteboard he been looking and approached us, smiling and walking toward them.

“ah, I am very happy to see you again in a healthy state. Please be seated, I see that you brought a guest,” said Detective Chang. He looks very detective-alike today, the last time Haewon saw him it was very hard to believe that he has this kind of job, but now he dressed in an all-black outfit, the leather jacket that he wears just makes him scarier, which is good for a detective.

“ So what exactly are you?” Jaehyun said blatantly while looking at Detective Chang with a suspicious look. Haewon pinched Jaehyun’s waist which makes him squirm a little bit.

“I’m sorry I should have introduced myself. I’m Detective Chang. I’m a private, well institution That secretly investigatfed some cases of Chaebol family, CEO, especially those who owned an idol agency... I have worked with SM for as long as now my grandchildren are NCT’s fans as well” Detective Chang laughed which make the atmosphere more relaxing.

“So this is like.... illegal?” Jaehyun asked again, which detective Chang answered with a peal of light laughter and Haewon rolled her eyes in disbelief, regretting her life-choice on bringing him today.

“Jaehyun, just shut up, I am very sorry Detective Chang, he is only coming for today because I got no driver,” said Haewon and she can feel that Jaehyun is glaring at her. She still has no intention of including Jaehyun in this investigation.

“I don’t mind tho, it’s the first time idol got involved directly to Sasaeng’s fans. But it’s up to you both. Where were we? Ah, I believe that Lee soo man already told you that we have caught the suspects. By the way, I’m impressed Haewon, the fact that you remember a lot of detail of that night, it was a big help” Detective Chang gives them piles of a document with five photos of persons who face we can’t see at all.

 

10 December 2018
VVIP Rooms, Jung Hospital
Haewon is looking at the woman who is peeling fruits for her. She is Jaehyun’s grandma. She is ended up knowing the incident and went straight to the hospital as soon as she heard the news. Jaehyun’s grandma had promised that she won't tell Haewon’s grandparent, and she is kinda feeling very relieved that they are currently all over the world trying to grow Han’s business kingdom.
“Haewon, do you want to eat again?” asked Jaehyun’s grandma, which she replied with a small nod. Jaehyun’s grandma then moves closer to Haewon and start feeding her with some food that she brought earlier.
“This is so good... Your egg-roll is my favourite” Haewon said with a big smile on her face.
“Really? No wonder that you stole Jaehyun’s egg-roll all the time, get better soon and I will teach you how to make it”
“what? You can just make it for me all the time, right?” Haewon whined and Jaehyun’s grandma smiles.
“well, later you will be married, and you will have to feed your husband then your children, who know whether I will be around at that time,” Haewon look at her with an annoyed face. She does not like it when any of her grandparents (both Jaehyun’s and hers) said something like that, yet she wishes that they can live as long as possible.
“Okay, I’m full now” Haewon act like all child being sulky, but their cute interaction got interrupted by a man who entering the door with Jaehyun’s mom. Haewon keeps looking at a man who is maybe at his late 40 wearing a tux and all smiley talking with Jaehyun’s mom.
“Oh, Haewon this is detective Chang. Detective Chang, that is Haewon”
“Nice to meet you, miss. Haewon, I believe that I have to take some notes regarding the incident that happen, don’t worry I’m the one that Lee soo man always use for this kind of cases”
“ah, yes, Mr Chang, please have a seat,” Haewon said and get down from the bed
“I’m very sorry that this happens to you miss. Haewon, but for what I see, stabbed someone at their shoulder means that this person who stabbed you want to make you disabled from your work with NCT”
“well, they succeed then,” she answered with a burst of fake laughter.
“tell me, what do you remember from that person who stabbed you?” asked detective Chang, and Haewon suddenly feeling dizzy, the memory of that night had haunted her ever since and she is trying very hard not to make it obvious. But she has the feeling that detective Chang realized that she is traumatized.” well, maybe today is not the day?” He asked again.
“no, no. I can tell you now… she or he wears a black Supreme jacket, I know it because I just bought one”
“for yourself?” he asked again.
“no, for Jaehyun…” she answered again. Suddenly remember that the supreme jacket is the one that caused their fight last month, so both Jaehyun and Haewon had wanted to buy that jacket but Jaehyun fails to bought it while Haewon was succeeded to buy it first. The boy begged her to at least lend the jacket for him, but the girl refused to do so… The cute fight ended when Haewon secretly put the jacket on Jaehyun’s dorm room saying that it was too big for her but to tell you the truth, Haewon had intended to give it to Jaehyun at the first place. Haewon smiled leaving Detective Chang looking confused.
“Is there anything wrong?” he asked again.
“no, sorry… I will continue. I saw the person entering a taxi, kinda weird because I have been waiting for so long to get a taxi but they managed to get one?”
“that is one very useful information, miss. Thank you very much. Anything else?” Haewon falls in silent. She did not remember much due to her unconsciousness at that time, she closes her eyes trying to picture the night of the incident but ended up going to have another anxiety attacks. Detective Chang looks at her and suddenly get up, “actually, I think that was enough… thank you so much miss. Haewon, hope you get well soon” he said. Detective Chang is about to get out of the room when Haewon suddenly remembered something.
“detective Chang, I don’t know if this will help but, the person said something before stabbed me “there should be no girl in NCT staff” is what she/he said. But that’s not that person’s voice, it sounds like it is a recorder or something, like the voice from recorder.. maybe the person is not Korean?” Haewon explained at length. Detective Chang looks blankly at Haewon’s explanation then he tries to regain his focuses.
“okay miss. Haewon, I will take a look at that as well, good night” Detective Chang’s face hardened as he vanished from her side.

“This is captured by a CCTV near the bus stop, we manage to find the taxi you are talking about. It is something called ‘Sasaeng taxi’ which is a regular taxi but at a higher price. And we get even detailed information about the suspect. The one that stabbed you, A Chinese girl, 23 years old, one of NCT’s rich fans, recently bought 150.000 copy of your album… that kinda questionable how did she manage to have that amount of money, but we will get into it later.” Detective Chang looks at Jaehyun who is listening to him very seriously.

“wait, what do you mean the one who stabbed me? Is that mean there are two of them?” asked Haewon.

“three, we are putting a prohibition for this girl, Korean, 32 years old, she is a regular…”

“what do you mean?” Detective Chang’s explanation got cut off when Jaehyun asked.

“she’s been Super junior’s Sasaeng fans for 7 years, so I think she is just involved because Haewon is Siwon’s cousins... I think she is the informant, but it’s okay we will get her soon… but the other one, I don’t know.. we have zero information about her, she is the brain in that team, I would say. Take a look at this photo, she is standing right across you, that is after the other stabbed you and run away with the taxi. Looking at how she doesn’t even bother to run and hide, which means she is a real psycho. She was enjoying seeing you in pain” Haewon flinched in disbelief.

“she could be a man,” Jaehyun said with a serious look and his eyes fixed on the photo of a person wearing all black from head to toe plus a mask.

“well, Mr Jaehyun I’m not trying to be ist but over 25 years I worked on Sasaeng's cases there is no male involved” Detective Chang explained.

“just saying..”

“ so what you mean is, you managed to get the two but not the most dangerous one? Should I be worried now?” Haewon places her hands in her face, suddenly feeling like she wants to throw up. Next month she will be leaving for America for a quiet long period, and in April NCT will start their world tour. And it will be very dangerous to both Haewon and NCT.

“Okay, I knew that all of this must be very new to you, but I have been dealing with Sasaeng’s case since H.O.T so let me give you a brief introduction of Sasaeng. First of all, they are extremist and almost invisible, you cant differ them among your fans but they are literally everywhere, not to scare you but they mostly a ghost. Sasaeng is the terms, but it just a person with a mental disorder…it’s a psychological condition that causes hallucinations which turn your fantasies into reality, although many psychologists stated that such behaviour is described as an act of self-display, rather than a "delusional disorder”. Have a look at these file of cases, I will be back with a warm cup of chamomile tea” Haewon and Jaehyun start to look at the cases together.

After 15 minutes, they are both all speechless as Jaehyun closes the case’s file. Detective Chang comes back with two glasses of hot tea in his hands.

“done? How is it? Fun?” He asked.

“what the F—did I just read? Are all of this real?” Haewon almost swears out loud when Jaehyun glared at her. Well, Jaehyun does not like it when that girl is swearing.

“yes, they are… they are the worse case, but it is now an international crime secret so I can't show it to you” Detective Chang gives the hot chamomile tea to both of them.

“International crime? Wow, is the girl from America who tried to sell fake Sehun’s in the black market not counted as one of them? Oh my god, is that even exist? How come she manipulated every single person and said that those are Sehun’s and 10.000 peoples from around the world bought it? HOW?” Haewon asked in disbelief, almost swearing again but managed to hold it.

“That case was real, she is still under investigation as well, very sorry to the buyer had to end up having a various condition like miscarriage, cancer, etc.. okay I won't be talking any further, I saw your face is about to puke” Said Detective Chang.

“is this case true?” Jaehyun asked him. It was a case of Sasaeng fans who stalk EXO throughout their world tour and was successful on gaining access to every hotel, restaurant, even concert’s backstage and was taking some of the member’s private stuff like toothpaste, perfume, and even worse their underwear.

“yes, the case is true. She is currently in prison now, 6 years accused of stalking and illegally stealing? I don’t understand, because the case was taken to the Chinese court” Detective Chang answered at length.

“But how did they get access to be so close? And how did they manage to follow us everywhere?” Jaehyun asked

“well, that is a really good question Mr Jaehyun, there are rumours that these Sasaeng have syndicate which means they don’t work alone, they have someone as a “sponsor” that financially support them to follow you all around the globe. In some cases, they even work in ion place to get more money. Some even said that those Sasaeng are also working with a private illegal institution to gather information about the idols or these days social media are very easy to hack”

“what are they being so obsessed about? Like, idols are all human too, oh my god” Haewon looks so frustrated.

“well, that’s a question I could not answer but you can just take a look at the man beside you, I think its enough to answer it” Haewon take a glance at Jaehyun but had to look again, he was looking like that all this time? He looks so good with a pair of blackjack and a v neck black sweater with all haired up. Haewon blushed and trying to cover that fact by coughing hard. Jaehyun chuckles at her, realizing that his looks today may have some effect on her. Which very fun to see because her cheeks got very red.

“well, that’s kinda out of my power but, I will try to be less handsome then?” Jaehyun asked Detective Chang which he replied with a laugh. While Haewon is still trying very hard to cover the redness of her face.

 

Author POV

New year eve

Lotte Hotel

The television sound that aired the year-end concert echoed in the room. There was a girl in a neon green dress sitting in the middle of the room, without blinking watching the program in front of her. The woman smiled, then looked down at the pile of albums, lightsticks and photographs of the man she loved scattered on the table. Suddenly the woman screamed happily when the face of the man in the photo appeared on tv.

"Jaehyun, you are very handsome at the end of this year. I can't believe we spent a year together .." the woman hugged Jaehyun's photo with a smile on her face. Suddenly a person in black clothes entered and sat next to the woman.

"So did you kill her?" Asked the woman still with a smile on her face.

"No ... Not yet"

"Why ??? !!!! That woman must immediately disappear from Jaehyun, she can influence Jaehyun and distance our relationship"

"Relax, little miss ... I still have many options opens, let's make her surrender and eventually asked for death"

"Anything ... For my love" the woman then kissed the poster Jaehyun in her hand.

 

<< 5 months later>>

Haewon POV

I could hear the screams of the doctors and nurses blaring in this emergency room. I can smell ethanol and blood mixed, and the liquid that enters my body.

I looked to my left side, and saw that my father's face was already full of blood, a doctor seemed to be trying to restore his pulse, and what came out of the machine was only a straight line. No, not my father. Tears had flowed out of my eyes, how hard I tried to scream but I could not make my voice. Suddenly I could feel someone hold my right hand, and when I looked at my mother who was covered in blood was holding her pain and staring at me.

I want to approach him but the tools in my body are blocking me. I can only cry to see the two people I love the most in this world, maybe soon will leave. I continued to cry while saying the word "mother ... mother ..." and I could see her beautiful smile and weakened grasp.

"Letisha, we love you" and I could see her eyes slowly closing.

I woke up from my dream with a cold sweat that soaked my entire body. It's been 4 months since I dreamed of the same thing, I rubbed my sweat and my head immediately became very dizzy. I went to the doctor, to the psychologist more precisely, the doctor said that this is a side effect of fatigue and severe stress. Naturally, I had worked nonstop for 4 months preparing for an NCT promotional tour in America, trying to keep myself busy so I forgot that until now the sasaeng was still sending me chain messages and was out there undetected.

12th May 2019

NCT neo origin concert, Los Angeles

The concert had just ended, and I am thanking every staff that had shown such a great professionality for today's concert. I always love the vibes that Los Angeles people radiates, I don't know it is kinda biased because I lived in here throughout my college years, but during my college days I had an intern with event management here in The city and that was the time I fell in love with the entertainment business.

I went back to the backstage when Adam-the head of Los Angeles EO- hug me. Adam has been a really sweet guy for the past 3 days, I pick his EO for LA's concert because my first impression of him at our first meeting was incredible. He has shown me real professionality and great hospitality.

"Good work, Haewon.. was everything okay?" Adam asked.

"Everything is perfect, thank you, Adam," I said with all smile in my face. I talk with him for a bit when I remember its kinda time to head back to our Air BnB.

When I enter the waiting room, all of the NCT members are sitting and playing loudly together. I smiled, it had been a while since I directly participating in their concert, I have been missing all the fun between us and the staff as well, there is always a crazy thing that happens whenever we travelled abroad, and the fact that I am officially going to assist them through this world tour excites me

"Hey, guys, what's with the fuss?" I asked while trying to fit my self in between Johnny and Jaehyun.

"Doyoung is having a crush on Na-ri Noona," said Haechan and next thing I know is Doyoung choked him. I rolled my eyes, they just realize that now? that is a very obvious thing I know that he has a crush on Na-ri because Doyoung always acts like she is a very fragile thing whenever he saw Na-ri running around carrying things, and I caught him gawking at Na-ri when she fell asleep at dawn waiting for NCT to finish their practice. Jaehyun handed me his water, and I shake in advance. I don't feel quite well these days, and in case I got the flu, I don't want him to catch it as well.

"Its kinda hard if you guys date now, your fans will not like it tho" I grinned.

"Haewon please don't tell Na-ri, this is top secret, all of them found out because this boy doesn't have any manner and rummaging through my bag, and he found.." Doyoung tense up and fell in silence because Na-ri came to the room, carrying a box full of the mic, passing it to some staff, glancing over us with a really ‘I’m ing tired’ face and eventually disappearing from this room again. Doyoung sighs as he fell back to the sofa.

"What about you, Haewon?"Johnny asked, teasingly facing me with those annoying look. I could feel a strange coldness beside me, which was Jaehyun.

"what? Do I have a boyfriend?” I asked again and all the boys suddenly nod and become very curious about the answer. I leaned over and the boys lean over more and I laugh because all of them looks very funny. “No.. unfortunately I don’t have time for boyfriend” I answered and I can hear all of them frowning.

“eyyy, don’t lie.. you have been all over America for 2 months now, besides you live in LA throughout your college years… some of the people here might be your ex!” Yuta suddenly joined the conversation after grabbing some snacks in the pantry.

“yes, Haewon Noona is very popular in here, all the staff here were UCLA’s alumni, I even heard that Haewon was one of the prettiest girls at that time” Mark explained at a length, while I shake my head can't believe that these dorks still have that much energy to care about such a thing.

“I thought Adam has a thing on you, he has been all over you ever since our first meeting together… he seems like a nice guy” said Taeyong. I almost drop my jaw in disbelief, even Taeyong is into this ridiculous conversation now?

“no, with Adam everything is business, how do I even have time flirting with my campus alumni when I am 24/7 taking calls and going to a meeting?” I answered and all of a sudden the door widely open with Na-ri with her arms akimbo and furious looking face.

“FOR GOD SAKE CAN WE TAKE ALL THE TALKING TO OUR BNB? IT'S ALMOST 1 IN THE MORNING!!” Na-ri yelled and in instant, all of us stand up and get ready to go home. Her nagging can last for hours, plus she looks very scary when angry.

 

Jaehyun POV

14th May 2019

NCT’S Air BnB, somewhere in LA.

I lay down to one of the benches near the pool, wearing my sunglasses and enjoying LA’s morning in peace. We have been resting for 2 days before our concert in Canada because tomorrow we will be moving after about a week staying at this amazing house, everyone is enjoying their free time as well. The maknae line which is Jungwoo, Mark and Haechan got the permission to strolling around the neighbourhood, Yuta and Johnny are off flexing their money somewhere, Doyoung and Taeil are still not awake, and from here I can see Taeyong and Haewon the kitchen trying to cook us lunch. Both of them are close since they have a really big interest in cooking and food.

Haewon looks better today, it has been a hectic month for her and I know that she has sleeping trouble because all of the incidents with Sasaeng and our crazy tight schedule, a few days ago I heard a light scream from her room, and that must be her having nightmare again. I sighs and decided to go to the kitchen and helping them.

“what are you guys cooking?” I asked, and Haewon turns her body to me in surprise. I hold her hand trying to help her not to break the bowl she’s holding. I look at her, it has been like this lately, she will always be cautious when someone is behind her, that must be the side effect of the stabbing tragedy that happened to her.

“umm... Spanish omelette, Taeyong will cook the lemon butter chicken and we are thinking of having some simple salad? it is going to be enough right, Oppa?” she asked to Taeyong. I flinched hearing her calling Taeyong what? Oppa? She does not even call me that and she called him Oppa?

“I know it is very hard when you have 9 kids and a dozen staff, but it is enough. Can you pass me the olive oil?” Taeyong answered.

“here you go. Taeyong Oppa, make sure to get the butter under the chicken skin, Gordon Ramsay said it will make the skin crispy” I rolled my eyes, a little annoying hearing Haewon calling him ‘Oppa’ before I lose my mind, I go to the dining table, sitting on of the chair and looking at something in the MacBook that plays some random song on it.

“Jae, move! I have to put this on the table” Na-ri suddenly pop out of nowhere with boxes of Starbucks and cakes on both of her hands. I help her put all of the food and drinks on the table. Why are we ordering so much coffee and cakes?

“Are we trying to get drunk on coffee or something?” Haewon asked as she comes closer to us, rummaging through 10 cups of coffee and box of cakes.

“I thought you order all of this?” Na-ri asked and Haewon shakes her head in confusion. “are you sure its not endorsement?” Na-ri asked again and I can feel there must be something wrong is going to happen.

“no, I don’t get in contact with anyone from Starbucks.like why the heck we need an endorsement for coffee?” Haewon asked again in denial. Like she has her point, why would we do that?

“because we all are in lack of sleep?” Taeyong joins us, trying to jokes but failed because Na-ri and Haewon are all tenses up now.

“Okay enough joking, Haewon?”Na-ri asked again in annoyance.

“I will check my mail in a sec” Haewon runs to her room and disappearing from the room and Na-ri is following her.

“Okay, I will ask the other staff upstairs” Taeyong wash his hand and hurridly go to the second floor. I took out my phone, trying to ask the member who is not here whether they order something for us, I am so busy texting all the member, explaining the situation and in a second some of the members replied with a no answer and suddenly Johnny called me.

“Is everything okay? You can check the receipt and called them tho” Johnny asked, I can hear notes of worries on his voice, I stand up trying to reach for the box when I see Doyoung is sipping the Americano he just took from the box. And suddenly his face becomes really pale, and the next thing I see is him coughing and blood spilling from his mouth.

“DOYOUNG! NO!” I yelled and he fainted to the floor…

<< to be continue>>