愛せない愛したい (Can’t Love, Wanna Love)

愛せない愛したい (Can’t Love, Wanna Love)

 

 

"I'm so stupid. I'm such an idiot." He was mumbling to himself as he was pacing in his living room. He still wasn't sure how it happened. But it did. He fell in love with his best friend's boyfriend.

His phone was beeping. Probably a message from his best friend asking to meet for coffee later in the day. Coffee! It all had started because of a meeting for coffee. That was when he had gotten to meet him for the first time. That was when his best friend had introduced her new boyfriend to him.

He was already sitting at a table waiting for his best friend and her new man. It wasn't the first time that he got to know her boyfriends. He was one of the factors whether the relationship would work out or not. Because if the man didn't accept him it was over with the relationship since they were a deal package.

He was swirling his straw in his iced americano as he waited. Being too nervous to finally meet the guy he was half an hour too early at the cafe. He heard the bell ring as the door opened again and there she was, his best friend Minah and right behind her was her new boyfriend. He was tall and handsome, with a small face and sharp eyes. Once both got closer to his table, he stood up and when they reached him he embraced his best friend warmly while he whispered in her ear. “So that's him?”

And as quietly as he had asked that question she answered him. “Yeah, that is him.”

After they parted he turned to the taller male that stood next to them and was watching them closely. “Hi, I'm Jaejoong and you must be Yunho. Nice to finally meet you. Minah told me so much about you that I feel like I already know you for as long as she has known you.” He laughed as he held out his hand for a handshake.

I feel the same. Nice to meet you, too.” Yunho replied with a smile on his lips as he shook the smaller one's hand. They sat down and made some small talk while waiting for their drinks.

Yunho was holding onto his coffee just to have something to hold when it had arrived as he looked at Jaejoong with a serious gaze. "I'm not sure if I should be jealous or awed at the relationship you both have. But I think I'm more awed at how close you both are and how important the other one is in your decisions. Do I get the if you hurt her I'm going to hurt you - speech now?" He asked the last part sheepishly while one hand rubbed his neck as the other one lay on the table.

"Totally. So if you dare make Minah cry, I'm going to hunt you down." Jaejoong said forcefully as he grabbed Yunho's hand off the table and held it tightly. As he noticed what he was doing, he let go off it instantly.

"I'm so sorry for grabbing your hand like that." Jaejoong apologized while his cheeks colored red from embarrassment.

"It's kinda Jaejoong's habit to grab someone's hand when he gets excited while talking. He got chewed out a lot about it from many people because they don't like to be touched so suddenly." Minah tried to explain while changing the mood that occurred after the small incident.

"Oh, I don't mind." Yunho reassured them.

"Really!" Both friends couldn't believe it.

"Yeah, I mean you have nice hands Jaejoong-ssi. They are not callous, but soft and warm." Yunho complimented the other man.

"Well, thank you." Jaejoong replied shyly.

From then on they had started to meet regularly. So weekly coffee meetings were obligatory and for him to miss the last one without further notice was out of the ordinary. They went to the movies together, had picnics in parks, or went to the amusement park. As he thought about their latest trip to the amusement park his cheeks got red again. He buried his flaming face in his arms as they rested on the counter of his kitchen. He was just getting something to drink while his mind was still in the memory lane.

The weather was nice so they decided to go to an amusement park. And he was totally in for it. They all had their fun trying out the different rides. Well, except for the big roller coasters. He knew that Minah didn’t like them, so he wasn't going to force her on one and it seemed that Yunho did the same. But as they passed by one which had double loops and a ninety-degree fall, he couldn't take his eyes off of it. It was as if that thing called out to him. His best friend noticed his awestruck look on his face as he watched people riding this monstrosity.

“But, what about you? You hate these things.” Jaejoong stared at Minah flabbergasted.

“That's why I'm not riding it with you. I'm going to sit down over there and watch you screaming out your lungs.” Minah explained and pointed to a bench that was only a few feet from them.

“But I, … I can't do this alone!” And here it was. The truth about Jaejoong's love-hate relationship with roller coasters. He loved the adrenalin kick but he was ing scared of heights.

“I will ride with you.” Yunho volunteered. He leaned down to kiss his girlfriend's cheek before he turned around and went to the waiting line. “Are you coming, Jaejoong?”

As they stood in line they were chatting about this and that, but mostly it was Yunho trying to calm down an over-excited Jaejoong. This meant that the smaller one was reaching out for the taller man's hand while jumping up and down or clinging and hiding behind his arms when the fear attacked again. It was a roller coaster of emotions already.

As it was finally their turn, they got into the card and were secured before the ride was going to start. Yunho held his hand out towards Jaejoong. “Come on, grab it. I know you want to.” Yunho .

“I don't need it.” The smaller man declined while pouting.

“Are you sure? I don't mind if my hand gets a rest from all your squashing it into pieces.” Yunho taunted Jaejoong more while flexing his hand and wiggling his fingers in front of the other's face.

“Fine, I will take your hand. Seems like you are afraid to ride this roller coaster without someone holding your hand.” Jaejoong countered and took hold of the other’s hand.

“What can I say? I just love the feeling of your soft hand in mine.” Yunho returned with a dazzling smile on his face. Just as Jaejoong wanted to say something, the ride started and the only thing he could do was a small “meep” when it went down. And from there on he was silent because he couldn't get enough air to scream at all throughout the whole ride.

“Are you still alive?” Yunho asked concerned after the ride had stopped and they could leave the card. “Jaejoong?” He called the other's name as he held out his hand to help the smaller out of the card. With a shaking hand, he took hold of Yunho's hand and let the other one pull him up. He never let go of the hand as they walked back to Minah his best friend, and Yunho's girlfriend.

His phone beeped again. Another message. Slowly he got up from his crouching position over the counter and went to his living room to get his mobile phone. He grabbed it from the coffee table and just took a small look at his display. “Oh, no!” He exclaimed as he saw that he had half a dozen messages from his friends. He hadn't even noticed that he had gotten more. Scrolling threw them he saw that most of them were from Minah and the last one was from Yunho.

His best friend's messages were mostly about asking him where he was, if everything was alright, that he should ing answer her messages and that she needed to talk to him badly. “Oh god, that doesn't sound good at all.” He mumbled to himself. With the last bit of his courage, he read the message from Yunho.

From: Yunho

To: Jaejoong

Can we meet? We need to talk!

Talk? About what? Hopefully not about last Friday. With a groan he let himself fall onto the sofa and buried his face in a pillow. Last Friday was that fateful day where it had happened. Ever since they had known each other, they had had coffee meetings on Tuesdays and on Fridays they had had movie nights. Today was Thursday. His friends were worried because he hadn’t been there at their coffee meeting and he hadn’t been talking to anyone since his sudden walkout from the last movie night. He didn't want to think about it again, but the truth was that it never really left his mind. Because he really couldn't forget what had happened there. Why was he in this predicament?

It was a normal Friday night like every week. They met at Minah's place and cooked together, or more like let him cook while Yunho and Minah joked about what a great housewife he would be. It was mostly Yunho who would say such things.

Later, after they had finished their dinner, they started to watch a movie. Since it was Minah's turn to choose, it ended in a cheesy love flick. He looked at Yunho and they both rolled with their eyes, knowing that it was going to be a boring night for them and one full of tears for the only woman in the room. Both males got comfortable on the sofa while Minah went for the armchair. “I want to watch the movie quietly and not get disturbed by your child play.” She knew them too well. She knew that he and Yunho would get bored in the first twenty minutes and would start some stupid pillow fight or other things if they sat apart from each other.

It wasn't long until they started to fight with their feet under the blanket. Whoever could keep the feet of the other under his own was to be the winner. Jaejoong was slightly giggling as Yunho's toes were tickling the underside of his feet.

Could you be quiet!” Minah reprimanded Jaejoong as she threw a package of gummy bears at him. He tried to open them quietly and started picking out the ones he liked the most, but as he looked up, he saw the glare his best friend was giving him. “Use a bowl.”

After Jaejoong got chewed out again he did like he was told and poured the gummy bears in a bowl that he had grabbed from the coffee table in front of him. He looked up again and at Yunho who gave him a reassuring smile and rolled his eyes as his head made a small move towards his girlfriend's direction as if trying to say 'You know how she is and it is that time of the month.'

Now with the bowl in his hands, he finished the job of fishing out all the good gummy bears. His foot got nudged and he looked up at Yunho who was pointing at the bowl. “Could I get some, too?” He whispered. Jaejoong mouthed “Sure” and handed over the bowl. When Yunho was concentrating at looking through the gummy bears in search of the ones he wanted, Jaejoong tried to hold back the little evil smirk and giggle he was holding in.

Searching for this?” Jaejoong asked in a whisper as he held one lonely red gummy bear between his thumb and his pointer. “It is the last one. I ate the others already.” He confessed while giggling.

You.” Yunho growled lightly as he put the bowl away before he lunged forwards and tried to grab the last red one out of Jaejoong's hand. But the smaller male was faster and put his hand out of reach, leaving his middle unprotected. And Yunho used this opportunity right away and started to tickle the man lying under him. Through his laugh Jaejoong tried to talk. “Stop, please! … Okay, you win you can have it.”

Slowly Jaejoong brought his hand where the gummy bear was hidden between them. Before Yunho could reach for it, Jaejoong put the last red jelly into his mouth. “Yummy. Want some of it?” Jaejoong asked as he opened his lips and showed Yunho the desired jelly that he was holding between his teeth. Yunho was leaning forward slowly with a small smirk on his lips.

Could you shut up? They are going to kiss!” Minah exclaimed frustrated as she threw a pillow at the males.

But the movie kiss wasn't the only one that happened at this moment. The thrown pillow had hit Yunho so perfectly at the head that he had lost his balance and landed on Jaejoong with their lips meeting. With widened eyes they stared at one another for a moment before Yunho’s slowly slid shut whilst pressing his lips further against Jaejoong’s.

“Gotcha!” Yunho said while showing the red jelly that was now between his teeth. Immediately Jaejoong shoved Yunho away from him as his face was burning up. He scrambled up from the sofa, looking everywhere but Yunho as he took his bag. “I … I need to go.” He stammered as he rushed out of the apartment.

 

“I'm such an idiot!” Jaejoong was mumbling to himself as he touched his lips. He wasn't sure how he should face Yunho again. Or how he should tell his best friend that he didn't want to meet with her anymore when her boyfriend would be tagging along. Because he was sure that Minah wouldn't rest until she knew why he would suddenly want that when he hadn't had any problems with Yunho for the last six month. Why did his life had to turn so complicated? He could take the small smiles, the tickle sessions, the hand holding but not the kiss, which hadn’t been an actual kiss but a stupid accident of Yunho falling onto him. This was too much. His heart just couldn't take any more! He knew that he was slowly falling for the other man but was trying to keep quiet about his feelings. He was really trying to not fall in love with his best friend's boyfriend more and more. He just didn't want to hurt her. She was like a sister to him. She was his family. A small sob left his lips and he didn't even notice that he had started to cry while wallowing in self-pity.

The sudden ringing of his doorbell brought him back to the here and now. Slowly he got up from the sofa and went to his apartment door. Without checking who it was he opened the door only to have the one person in front of him that he didn't want to meet at the moment.

“You've been crying.” Yunho noticed as he saw Jaejoong's red eyes and lonely tears that were caught in the other's long eyelashes. He reached out to catch one that was slowly rolling down the other's rosy cheeks, but his hand got slapped away.

“What are you doing here?” Jaejoong asked irritated.

“I wrote to you that I would come by since you never answered our messages or calls.” Yunho explained softly. “Can I come in?”

Jaejoong grumbled an agreement and turned around, slowly walking back to his living room while he checked his mobile phone. And there it really was: another message from Yunho and a few calls from both of them. He had been so out of it earlier that he never noticed any calls.

“Where have you been on Tuesday?” Yunho asked concerned as he followed the other one into the living room.

“Not at the meeting obviously.” Jaejoong replied curtly. He just wanted the other man to leave again. He couldn't deal with him now, nor could he deal with his feelings when the realization was still fresh.

“Jaejoong, you know that you can talk with us. What is wrong with you?” Yunho couldn't understand the other's strange behavior. He had never seen the other man like this. He had always been in a good mood and happy and friendly.

“Nothing,” was the only answer Yunho got from Jaejoong who had still his back to him. He took a hold of the smaller man's shoulder and tried to turn him around. At the same time Jaejoong tried to fight against the movement and took a step away, his foot getting caught in the corner of a blanket which caused him to lose his balance. Yunho tried to catch him but only got pulled down together with him. And there they were stuck again in the same position as last Friday. Jaejoong under Yunho, who was slowly leaning down and getting closer and closer to Jaejoong's face. “Don't!” Jaejoong called out and pressed his hand against Yunho's lips, slightly shoving him away. “You are with Minah.”

“We broke up.”

“What?” Jaejoong couldn't believe his ears. Did that guy really just say that? Why was he here then? Shouldn't he be miles away and scared to get chased down by him?

“I came here so that you can chew me out.” Yunho replied while smiling down at Jaejoong. He was totally making fun of him while showing him that he wasn't afraid of the smaller one.

“Why would you break up? You love each other.” Was his best friend alright? Did she need his shoulder to cry on? Was she angry while he wasn't there for her? Oh god, he was such a bad best friend. And what was he doing just now? He was comfortably laying under his best friend's ex-boyfriend! That wasn't good at all.

“Well, that is right, we love each other. But we aren't in love with each other anymore. I'm fallen in love with someone else.” Yunho tried to explain the slightly complicated situation.

“What? Who?” Jaejoong asked angrily. What was wrong with that guy? Minah was such a sweet girl! Why would he do something like this behind her back? “How can you do that to her? Why would you start something with someone else when you are still with Minah?” Jaejoong couldn't believe that Yunho was a guy who did such disrespectful things.

“I haven't cheated on her.” Yunho was defending himself.

“But you said that you love someone else.”

“Well, yeah, but I haven't done anything behind Minah's back. As I realized what was going on I asked if we could have a talk. So we both sat down and talked like adults and decided to end our relationship as lovers. I told her that I have feelings for somebody else.” Yunho specified what happened between him and Minah.

“Who?” Jaejoong was still bewildered at what he was hearing, not noticing the hand that was caressing his cheek softly. And as softly as the caressing Yunho just said “You” before he slowly leaned down.

A small “Oh” escaped Jaejoong's lips before they were taken by Yunho's.

They had been kissing for a while before their lips parted at last.

“Anything to say?” Yunho asked softly and slightly out of breath.

“No, why?” Jaejoong returned a bit confused. What should he say? That he liked the feeling of Yunho's lips on his own or that Yunho was a great kisser?

“Jaejoong, I told you that I'm in love with you.” The taller one said a bit frustrated at the cluelessness of the other.

It wasn't really audible and Jaejoong was looking anywhere but into Yunho's eyes as he mumbled, “Love you, too.”

“Well, better than nothing.” Yunho replied smiling before he started to kiss Jaejoong again. But it wasn't for long and they got interrupted once again. This time it was Yunho's phone that was beeping. He fished the device out of his pocket and looked at the display. As if he was caught by doing something wrong, he jumped up. “, we are late!” He exclaimed as he grabbed Jaejoong by the hand and pulled him up before he dragged him towards the front door.

“Late? For what?”

“Coffee meeting with Minah. I need to get my if you hurt him, I'm going to hurt you – speech from her now.” Yunho explained with a smile on his lips as he helped Jaejoong in a jacket before they left the apartment while holding each other's hand.

 

 

(not quite) end.