Chapter 7 - Damsel In Distress

Faded // Bang Chan

"Right guys, so the list of names for the different studies will be placed on the bulletin board outside room 4. Please check it soon as study will begin on Monday." The homeroom teacher  announced before closing her book and shuffling out of the classroom seconds before the bell rang. Na Ri slung her bag onto her back and tried to hide her smile as she noticed Chan watching her. What she didn't realise was that he was not watching her but in fact the girl beside her, Bo Ra. 

Chan couldn't help the slight pang in his heart as he admired her smiling face.  He'd always thought she was easily the most attractive girl he'd ever seen and yet he'd barely ever held a conversation with her. Just looking at her made him totally oblivious to the stares and whispers surrounding him and his bruised face. 

"I see the rumours are true." Bo Ra whispered to Na Ri as they left to head for their first class on Friday's timetable. "I hope Jungsoo's face looks worse." Na Ri aired unexpectedly. She hadn't meant to share her inner thought but it was a bad habit of hers. Bo Ra's face contorted into a look of horror at Na Ri's remark about the popular boy. 

"Na Ri, are you blind? He's one of the best looking guys at this school! Why would you want his amazing face all battered and cut?" She scoffed, feeling deeply offended about the comment that wasn't even about her. "Sorry, I guess he just seems a bit..." Na Ri began but quickly stopped as the subject of their conversation walked past, sending a small smile in the girl's direction. They both took in his cut eyebrow and bruised cheek that stood out against his pale complexion but somehow it made him look more attractive. Bo Ra's mouth hung open a little as he walked by and over to his friends, causing Na Ri to laugh. "Close your mouth, you'll attract flies." She teased while linking arms with her, dragging her down the hallway to their first class.

Chan felt the blood in his body boil as he overheard Na Ri and Bo Ra's conversation about Jungsoo. Chan hated Jungsoo more than anything else on the planet. Jungsoo and Chan had never gotten on well. The pair had a rivalry dating back from three years ago when Chan won the captaincy spot on the soccer team. Chan hated that Jungsoo would mess with girl's feelings and he hated even more that In Ho became a different person around Jungsoo. 

Chan sat in his seat alone at the back of Geography class while Bo Ra and Na Ri sat in the front beside the window, chatting happily amongst themselves before the teacher arrives. He laid his head down on the table and closed his eyes replaying yesterday's conversation with his dad.

flashback

"Why did you have to do it Chan? Why did you really kill your best friend?"  

Chan froze on the spot as memories of that night played over, images of In Ho's lifeless body laying sprawled on the ground flashed through his mind. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he fought the tears threatening to spill. Chan had never told anybody the full story of that night and he hoped he'd never have to. Only three people know the truth about that night and yet one of them is dead. 

"I didn't know he'd die. I just-I thought I was helping." Chan uttered as he lowered his head. Chan's dad nodded, urging his son to continue. He'd always wondered what really happened that night to paint his son as a murderer but there was never enough evidence to point it to Chan officially. Chan fumbled with his fingers as he waiting for the words to leave his mouth. 

"I thought In Ho was going to cause trouble." Chan continued with a gulp. He wanted nothing more than to erase the look on In Ho's face as he fell to his death, desperately reaching out for a platform to grasp onto that didn't exist. Chan had never received a criminal punishment but the never ending image of In Ho's terrified expression seemed much worse than any punishment the law could ever give him. 

"Trouble?" His dad pushed, still not understanding the meaning behind Chan's explanation.  "One day dad, you'll fully understand." Chan finished before getting up from the chair and leaving the room, letting his father sit alone to process his last words. 

end of flashback

Chan wanted to be able to just admit the truth to his parents but he couldn't. No matter how hard he tried the words wouldn't leave his mouth. Sometimes Chan had difficulty even comprehending the situation himself. He didn't want to believe that he was capable of ending someone else's life and yet that's exactly what he did. Not even the year of counselling could help Chan find who he once was. He felt hopeless and lost as though he didn't know what was real anymore. 

"Bang Chan?" Mr. Kim called. Chan snapped his head up in bewilderment as the teacher ticked his name off on the attendance list. Na Ri smiled at his expression, finding his demeanour adorable only to stop as Bo Ra dug her sharp elbow into her side. "Stop making googly eyes at him. People will think you're in love with him or something!" She snapped. 

Na Ri was beginning to understand why Bo Ra was so harsh when it came to Bang Chan, especially if the rumours really were true but there was something about him that she found so captivating. Maybe it was his cold exterior or his seemingly careless behaviour or perhaps it was those short moments where she would catch Chan fighting a smile, whatever it was, she felt there was more to him. He was more than just some misfit at school to her, he seemed to have a story and she was determined to hear it out.

"What's so wrong with people thinking that?" Na Ri replied innocently. She knew exactly what was wrong with people thinking that but she didn't really care. Na Ri had no interest in anybody else at school apart from him. No, she wasn't in love with him and she hoped to keep it that way. Na Ri simply wanted to befriend him so he wouldn't be alone so much. It worried her seeing students like him. It brought back memories of a past she'd rather forget. 

"Are you serious right now? Were you listening at lunch yesterday?" Bo Ra hissed, growing increasingly frustrated at her new friend. "I guess you're right." She agreed, sensing her friend's anger. 

"If you two are going to continue to talk in my class, there's the door!" Mr. Kim raised his voice at the chatty pair. Bo Ra turned bright red, this being her first time to ever be scolded by a teacher. She shot a deathly glare at Na Ri, suddenly regretting befriending her in the first place. 

Chan smirked at the sight. He enjoyed that someone other than himself was having a hard time because of Na Ri. Chan had nothing against the girl, other than the fact that she was downright nosy and stubborn but for once someone else showed hostility towards her. 

The two girls apologised and the class continued on but it was a blur to Chan once he laid his head back down on the table and dozed off.

The bell for lunch couldn't come soon enough. Na Ri raced out of the class, not surprised that Bo Ra didn't call after her. Bo Ra seemed like the type to get annoyed easily and Na Ri figured giving her space was probably best. Na Ri wasn't in the best mood either after Bo Ra and Mr. Kim scolded her.

She marched her way to room 4 to check the list of names for study. She wasn't surprised to see her name down but Chan's name stood out to her. He didn't strike her as the type to care about grades, especially with his attendance record. A hand tracing its way down the sheet from behind her caused her to turn around, preparing herself to move out of the person's way.

"Hey!" Jungsoo greeted warmly. "Hi." She returned before attempting to leave only to be stopped by his hand grabbing her arm. She looked back at the smiling boy with a somewhat sour expression. "You really don't like me, do you?" He laughed. She remained silent as she faced the ground. "Can you please let go of me?" She asked in a low voice, feeling slightly nervous in his presence. "Or what, eh?" He teased while tightening his grip. "That hurts." She barked while trying to roughly pull her arm away from his grasp.

His eyes widened as he realised he was in fact harming her. He quickly retracted his arm and bowed apologetically. "Sorry, I-I didn't realise."

She nodded and walked down the hallway, away from the scene only to have Jungsoo by her side again in seconds. "You again!" She remarked, struggling to contain her temper. Na Ri really didn't like Jungsoo, something about him seemed off. "If you got to know me you'd probably really like me though!" He interjected. "Not convinced." She added with a fake smile. 

"You can get to know me at study. We signed up for the same one!" Jungsoo continued, causing Na Ri's impatience to peak. "Would you ever  just leave me alone!" She yelled gaining the attention of the other students in the hallway who all stopped and stared. Jungsoo felt deflated. He didn't like that the new girl had not only basically rejected him and his attention but now she was being very public about it. 

Jungsoo took two long strides towards her all the while she backed up until her back hit the hall. She felt her clenched palms become sweaty as she broke into a nervous panic. Jungsoo placed both of his arms at either side of her head, pinning her between him and the wall. He opened his mouth to say something but the words that came out weren't his.

"Are you deaf? She said to leave her alone!" Chan hissed from behind Jungsoo. He didn't know why but watching the scene unfolding in front of him led him to feeling uneasy, he didn't like seeing the frightened look on Na Ri's pale face. A crowd began forming around the escalating situation. Jungsoo froze for a mere second before his lips turned up in a sadistic grin. He pulled away from Na Ri before spinning round to face Chan. "Don't you learn anything?" Jungsoo mocked while pointing at the cuts on Chan's face. 

Chan's eyes turned dark and he laughed menacingly. For the first time ever Na Ri felt genuinely scared of him. "What do I have to learn from you? You're no better than me!" Chan shot back. Jungsoo clenched his fist, getting ready to throw the first punch but Na Ri refused to be a damsel in distress and brushed past Jungsoo as she grabbed Chan's hand and pulled him away from the crowd, shocking many of the students. Whispers began to circle the pair as she tugged him behind her, ignoring his protests to let him go. 

"We need to talk!" She stated, her serious tone made him slightly frightened for what's to come but he chose to shut his mouth and follow her. This was Na Ri's chance. She was finally going to question Chan on the rumours and could only hope for the truth to be revealed.