Oh, Baby

Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

‘I miss you :(‘

‘Aww, I miss you too, but I’ll be home tomorrow.”

‘Maybe we should do something fun this weekend to make up for you being away from me for an entire week? ;)’

‘What you got in mind, Mrs. Park…?’

‘Pants optional’

‘Hmm, you want me that badly, huh?’

‘Really, really badly.’

‘I’m in a meeting rn and you’re making it really hard to focus.’

‘Exactly what I wanted hihi’

‘So evil.’

‘Good thing you love me then.’

‘hey, you love me too, this marriage ain’t one sided.’

‘nah, I’m good… jkjkjkjk, you know I love you, baby.’

‘…and?’

‘…and kai, kuma and joohwangie…’

‘good girl.’

‘never mentioned them in my wedding vows, still you always make me tell them I love them.’

‘they deserve to feel loved too.’

‘true, true. Imma give them lots of kisses tonight and tell them that mommy is coming back tomorrow afternoon.’

‘;D thank youuuu btw can I ask you a favor?’

‘sure baby, what is it?’

‘could you pick up some sunscreen and a t-shirt for me? I’ll send you a link.’

‘np, I’ll get it tomorrow. Gotta go to sleep now, love you <3’

‘love you more, sleep tight bb<3’

 

&

Jennie groaned as she entered her front door, kicking her heels off, throwing her purse on the couch, and collapsing into a chair at their kitchen island, resting her head on her arms on top of the marble countertop.

“Bad day, huh?”

“Bad week.”

“I missed you.” Rosie Jennie’s back and placed a soft kiss on her head.

“I missed you too, please call my boss and tell her that I’ll never be able to go away on one of those weeklong negotiations ever again.”

“Sure, babe, I’ll do that. Dinner’s almost ready, do you want some wine?”

“Yes, please.”

Jennie pouted as Rosie moved away, “what?”

“No kiss?”

“Such a baby,” Rosie rolled her eyes, but gave her wife a kiss, nonetheless.

“Your baby.”

“My baby.” Rosie smiled and gave Jennie another kiss, feeling a bit needy after not having seen her since Monday.

“You smell good.”

“It’s your perfume. I missed you, so I borrowed it.”

“Thought I recognized the smell.” Jennie s her arms around Rosie’s waist and buried her face in her neck.

“Do you have a busy week next week?” She smiled at the little sounds Jennie was letting out as she ran her fingers through her wife’s hair.

“Not more than usual, I think. I’ll try my best to be home at a reasonable time, promise.”

“Good. Now I gotta finish dinner,” Rosie tapped Jennie’s arms, silently asking her to let her go, which she reluctantly did.

“I’m gonna go grab a quick shower.”

“Ok, dinner is ready in fifteen.”

With one last kiss on Rosie’s cheek, Jennie ventured off to their bedroom, shredding her clothes as she walked. She loved her job, but she hated their long meetings that forced her to be away from her wife for days at a time. All she wanted now was a nice hot shower, dinner with some wine, and to cuddle her wife and barely leave the couch for the rest of the weekend. Was that too much to ask? She certainly didn’t think so.

“Perfect timing, dinner’s just ready. Could you put the vegetables on the table for me?” Rosie was pulling a tray out of the oven just as Jennie walked back into the room, her work suit replaced with an oversized tee and some sweats.

“Ooo, you made baby corn, my fave.”

“I know how much you love them, and figured they’d go with the Korean ribs I made us.”

“Thank you, Jesus, for giving me this amazing wife, I don’t know what I did in my former life, but I must’ve done well to deserve this.”

“Oh shush, you don’t even go to church.”

“Who needs church when I can worship you?”

“This cheesiness is making me nauseous.”

“I can’t help it, it’s what you do to me, Roseanne Park.”

“Aww, love you too babes.” Wrapping her arms around Jennie’s shoulder, she began peppering her wife’s face with kisses, making Jennie giggle.

“Staaaahp, I have a reputation to uphold.”

“Psh, not in here you don’t. Now c’mon, let’s eat.”

“You’re not having any wine?”

“Nah, I’ve been feeling a bit unwell earlier this week, so I think it’s best to lay off for this weekend. More for you tho.”

-

“Thanks for dinner baby, it was really good.” Jennie was clearing the table following their usual whoever doesn’t cook, cleans rule. “We don’t have any plans this weekend, right?”

“Don’t think so, why? Whatcha got in mind?”

“Very, very little. Ideally just you and me on the couch.”

“I think that can be arranged, wifey.”, Rosie got comfortable on the couch where she could still see Jennie in the kitchen. “Btw, I got the stuff you asked for, it’s in that bag over there.”

“Thanks,” Jennie wiped her hands on a kitchen towel before grabbing the bag, “uhh, babe, I think you might’ve gotten it wrong…”

“What?”, Rosie looked away from her phone to find Jennie holding up a baby sized t-shirt, causing her to burst into laughter. “Omg, I’m so sorry baby, I was in a rush during lunch today and someone must’ve put it down on the same table as the tee you asked me to get. The receipt is in the bag, we can go exchange it this weekend.”

“Ha, it’s ok babe, it’s cute. But I don’t think it’ll fit…”

“Not with those s of yours it won’t.”

“You love my s.”

“Very much.” Rosie smirked as she eyed Jennie up and down.

“Lol, you got me kids sunscreen too, I know I’m tiny, but I’m not that tiny, babe…”

“Damn, I’m on fire today. Babe, I left my lipstick in the inside pocket of your blazer when you wore it to dinner last week, could you get it for me?”

“Now?”

“Yes please, I don’t wanna forget it.”

“Uh, sure, find a movie you wanna watch in the meanwhile.”

Rosie couldn’t stop smiling as Jennie left the room, butterflies rushing through her entire body.

“Uhh, sorry babe, I couldn’t find your lipstick, only this envelope that says Jennie.”

“Oh, really? How weird… who’s it from?”

“Babe, I know it’s from you, I could recognize your handwriting anywhere.” Jennie teased as she joined Rosie on the couch, putting her legs over Rosie’s lap.

“Why don’t you open it and see what your beautiful, amazing wife has written for you, then?”

“Whatcha up to now, Park? Is this a parking ticket?” Jennie eyed her suspiciously.

“Ha! Sure, if you want it to be, anything is possible if you dream really.” Rosie’s hands were on Jennie’s legs, them subconsciously, watching as Jennie slowly undid the glue on the envelope and opened it.

“Hmm, a card and another envelope. Is this like a box in a box in a box in a box?”

“Damn, you figured me out already, my baby is such a smarty pants.”

“She is.” Jennie jokingly puffed up her chest. “Should I read the card first or open the envelope first?”

“Card first.”

“Is it our anniversary? Did I forget something important?”

“Nope, just wanted to surprise you with something nice.”

“Cute card,” Jennie studied the front of the card which was covered in various flowers.

“Thanks, I made it myself.”

“Really?”

“Mhm.”

“I’ll hang it on the fridge.”

“Aww, such a proud mom.”

Jennie snorted as she opened the card, “At least your art looks professional, much better than mine. Ok, what do we have here?” Jennie’s eyes scanned the inside of the card which was pretty much empty.

“Read it out loud!”

“Okay, okay! Roses are red, violets are blue, inside me, beat two hearts for you <3 – it’s cute, are you trying to tell me you had a twin that you ate in the womb and now you have two hearts?”

“And here I was worrying you wouldn’t get it. Open the envelope.”

Jennie was frowning slightly; she’d had a long week and wasn’t really up for mind games just then. She did, however, open the smaller envelope carefully, taking out two polaroids that were turned over, so she only saw the black backside.

“What?” She gasped, eyes widening as she looked at her wife after having turned the photos over. “Are you serious?”

“Mhm.” Rosie nodded, a small smile on her lips. “100%”

“Holy sh-,” she cut herself off, pulling Rosie into a tight hug. “I’m gonna be a mom?”

“The best mom ever.” Rosie could no longer keep back the tears that had been threating to come out all evening.

“We’re having a baby?” Jennie pulled back slightly and moved her hands to Rosie’s still very flat tummy, her voice softening as she spoke with awe. One photo had showed a positive pregnancy test, the other showing Rosie holding the pregnancy test, a huge smile on her face.

“We’re having a baby.” Rosie confirmed, putting her hands on top of Jennie’s as she looked at her wife lovingly.

“Wow…” Jennie felt completely speechless. Obviously, she knew that they were trying for a baby, but they’d been trying for six months now without success, so when Rosie never mentioned anything, she’d just figured they’d had another bad month. They’d even started talking about maybe adopting. “Wait…”

“What?”

“I’ve been away since Monday, are you telling me I’ve had that envelope in my jacket for five days?”

Rosie smiled gently as she cupped Jennie’s cheeks. “Well…yeah. I really wanted to surprise you and I figured I’d see if you noticed it before you came home or not. I only just found out last Friday, so I quickly put this together and then hid it in your jacket. I’m sorry for not telling you sooner, baby.”

“No, no, it’s ok. I’m kinda glad you didn’t tell me right before I had to go away, I don’t think I’d be able to focus if you’d told me sooner. I just can’t believe you’re pregnant…” She’d been looking so serious, trying to truly comprehend Rosie’s surprise, but now she broke into a massive grin, pulling Rosie in for a deep kiss. Their lips moved together with ease, only pulling back when their smiles became too big.

“I’ve actually given you several hints.”

“Really? What did I miss?”

“Well, I didn’t buy the baby clothes or the sunscreen by accident, I picked it up on purpose. The stuff you wanted is in my closet. And I made baby corn for dinner, and ribs, because it reminded me of when we went to the US and we ate baby back ribs. And lastly, look at our text convo last night.”

Jennie pulled out her phone and went straight to her messages app. “Wow, it’s actually been straight in my face since I came home, and I didn’t even notice. What am I looking for now?” Jennie’s eyes were scanning the messages but couldn’t see what Rosie was talking about.

“Look at the first letter of each text.”

“I-M-P-R-E-G-N-A-N-T-S-N.”

“Ignore the last two, you asked me a favor and I had to break the pattern.”

“Wow, you actually wrote I’m pregnant, and I didn’t even notice.” Jennie threw her phone to the side and leapt into Rosie’s arms again, nuzzling into her neck. “I can’t believe we’re having a baby. I’m so excited, omg mini Rosie. You’re gonna be the best mom.”

Rosie couldn’t stop smiling as her fingers ran through Jennie’s hair, feeling so happy that her secret was finally out. “We’re gonna be the best moms.”

“When can we start telling people?”

“Maybe we should wait a little bit longer? It’s still so fresh and I kinda like keeping it a secret just between the two of us for a while longer.”

“Our little secret.” Jennie put her hand back on Rosie’s belly, “I can’t wait for when you start showing. Cutest baby bump in the universe.”

“What if I’m an ugly pregnant lady.”

“Psh, as if. There are no ugly pregnant ladies. You’re gonna have that pregnancy glow that’s gonna make me fall even more in love with you, and our little baby is gonna grow nice and big and strong inside your tummy and it’s gonna be the best 9 months of our lives. And then he or she will come and our hearts are gonna burst and it’ll be hectic and busy and wild, but despite all the late night feeds and diaper changes I’m still gonna make time for you and I’ll still make sure to kiss you every night before bed and tell you how beautiful you are and how much I love you.”

“Jennie…”, Rosie’s voice was shaky as she fought back tears, “you can’t say things like that to me when I’m pregnant, do you know how emotional I am?”

“Even more of a reason to tell you, you’re so cute when you’re emotional.”

“Well, it’s gonna be an interesting few months, that’s for sure. Make sure to pick up some Kleenex, I think I’ll need it. What? What are you looking at?”

Jennie was just staring up at her wife, a soft smile on her lips. “You. I still can’t believe how lucky I am to have you, how amazing it is that you love me as much as I love you, the fact that we’re gonna have a baby and we’re gonna be mommies. A tiny little bean has chosen to be ours and we have to make sure to raise it to become the best possible version of itself and that’s a lot of pressure, but with you by my side I know it’ll be so worth it.”

Rosie let out a little laugh as she wiped away tears with one hand and gently hit Jennie’s shoulder with the other. “I told you you’re gonna make me ugly cry.”

“I love you, Rosie.” Jennie just smiled as she leaned in for another kiss. She didn’t even wanna watch a movie anymore, she was more than happy with just watching her wife.

 

&

 

“How do you think they’re gonna react?”

“All the tears. For sure. My mom’s gonna be weeping like a baby, ironically.”

“Do you think they know?”

“I don’t think so…we’ve always said we wanted to wait a while until we had kids, and they don’t even know we started trying, so I doubt they suspect anything.”

“Ahhhh, they’re gonna be so excited! I don’t even mind sharing my birthday attention.”

“Hold up, I should’ve recorded that.”

“Ha-ha, very funny,” Jennie rolled her eyes as she lay down on the couch next to Rosie, her head against her wife’s belly. “Hi baby, how you doing in there? Good? Good. This weekend we’re gonna tell our families about you for the very first time, and I think everyone’s gonna be really excited to meet you. Not more excited than your mommy and me though, we’re the most excited out of everyone by far. I wish I could see you now, but you have to stay in there for a bit longer and grow nice and big. Mommy loves you.” She lifted Rosie’s shirt and placed a gentle kiss on her belly as Rosie smiled down at her. Jennie had been talking to Rosie’s belly almost every week since they’d found out, telling little stories about their life, how her week had been, her current music obsessions – anything really. And she always made sure to end it with a ‘mommy loves you’ and a kiss, making Rosie’s heart burst with joy every time.

Jennie’s birthday was coming up, and her family was flying in from Korea, and Rosie’s family from Australia, making it the perfect time for them to announce their pregnancy. They didn’t get to gather everyone very often, and with Rosie being almost four months pregnant already, it was about time people knew before she started showing. Besides, they wanted to see everyone’s reactions in person, rather than over video calls.

“Does it feel any different?”

“Mm, not yet. Some days I feel slightly bloated, and morning sickness still gets me sometimes, but other than that there’s no difference yet.”

“I hope the morning sickness goes away soon, I hate seeing you so sick. And I hope you pop soon, you’re gonna be so cute with a little baby bump.”

“I thought I was always cute?”

Jennie smiled up at her wife, “you’re the cutest, most gorgeous, adorable, smart, funny girl in the whole world. Knowing you’re carrying my baby is the biggest honor in the world, I can’t even describe to you how many sizes my heart has grown since you told me.”

Leaning down to kiss her wife, Rosie whispered, “you’re so getting laid tonight.”

--

“Hey Rosie, want me to top up your wine?”

“No thanks,” Rosie smiled at her sister, “I’m trying to keep the alcohol to a minimum.”

“Why? What’s going on?” Lisa snuck up to her, curious as always.

“Let’s just say it’s been a long holiday season and Jennie’s office does not go easy on the holiday parties.” Well, she wasn’t lying. Jennie’s office parties were very much over the top, and they had attended a lot of parties for Christmas and New Year, but she’d stayed far away from all alcoholic beverages obviously. For today’s occasion, they’d bought an alcohol-free apple cider that looked like white wine, and they’d hidden the bottle in the wine fridge, so it still looked like Rosie was drinking wine.

“I hate to say it,” her mom joined their small group and smiled at her daughter, “but I think Jennie might actually make better kimchi fried rice than me.”

Laughing, Rosie casually shrugged, “you said it, not me.”

“You found a good one, sweetheart.” Clare kissed her youngest daughter’s head, clearly proud of her. “And so did you, love.” She added, giving a kiss to her oldest daughter as well.

“What about me?” Lisa pouted, her and Rosie had bonded quickly, and despite Rosie’s family living in another country, the Thai girl had still gotten to know them really well and was practically a part of the family now.

“Hmm,” Clare glanced over at Jisoo who was showing her balancing tricks to Jennie’s parents, “it’s questionable, dear.”

“Mom!” Lisa gasped, causing all three Park women to laugh.

“I’m kidding, you know that. We all love Jisoo, you two are perfect for each other.”

“Moooom, you’re gonna make me cry.”

“Come here my babies,” Clare pulled them all into a hug, and Rosie realized how much she missed her family even though she was lucky enough to see them relatively often. Being so far away from them was hard, and it was gonna be even harder with the baby coming. She’d grown up far away from her own grandparents, and now her own children weren’t gonna have their grandparents nearby either, which, to be honest, stung a bit.

“I’m just gonna borrow the wife of the birthday girl for a minute.” Jennie smiled gently as she took Rosie’s hand, leading her into the kitchen. “How do you feel, babe?”

“Good, good…”

“Hey, what’s up?” Jennie could sense that there was something going on in Rosie’s head, she just didn’t know what it was. “Talk to me, cutie.”

“I just…” Rosie looked away as she felt tears forming and threatening to fall. She didn’t wanna cry at her wife’s birthday party. Fanning herself she fought hard to keep her emotions in check, but she’d always been an emotional person, and adding on pregnancy hormones didn’t exactly help. “I really miss my parents. I haven’t really thought about it much since I met you, but now that we’re having a baby it’s hitting me that our kids are gonna grow up far away from their grandparents, just like I did, and like you did when you lived here, and that hurts more than I’d expected.”

“Aw, baby,” Jennie pulled her into a hug, her back in an effort to soothe her, “I know it’s hard, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter