-1-

Casual Conversation

How long did you wait for me?”, SungGyu asked her, placing his phone on the table.

I didn’t notice the time”, Mia assured him, placing her hand into his.

It was a cloudy day, and spring was almost over. Mia and SungGyu agreed to meet up at the coffee shop near her apartment. It was small and cozy with a splendid view of the cherry blossom trees that bloom in spring. Mia arrived first, as always, and ordered her usual cappuccino and strawberry shortcake. After hesitating for a moment, she also added an order of iced Americano and blueberry cheesecake for SungGyu. As the barista gave her the beeper, she went to the secluded corner of the shop, with the window providing her a scenic view of the trees.

Thirty minutes have passed and SungGyu still didn’t show up. Their order had arrived, and still no sign of SungGyu. She didn’t mind waiting for him. She was just excited to see him again, after weeks of not seeing each other. He had been busy with practice with s, but he calls her from time to time to chat. SungGyu arrived within an hour, and as he was panting after running from the studio, he was greeted by a bright smile coming from Mia.

I ordered you some coffee and cake. I know you shouldn’t be eating this kind of stuff for now but what’s just one day. Sit down first and rest”, Mia remarked with a sweet smile, pushing the cake in front SungGyu. He was a bit reluctant at first, reminded by the instruction of their manager to either lose or maintain their weight. However, seeing her smiling sweetly to him, he took a bite – size portion of the cheesecake.

 

So, how are you these days?”, Mia asked in an earnest tone, reaching out to his hand. SungGyu took her hand and held it tightly.

Good”, he faked a smile, however, she noticed it right away. She gave him a “doesn’t-seem-like-it” look, making him fidget for a while. Bowing his head in defeat, he told her the truth.

It’s been very hard these days. The members are not in high spirits and everyone is under intense pressure about the upcoming concert”, he opened up to her, burying his head in his hands.

Hey, look at me”, Mia grabbed both of his hands. “Look at me”, she repeated softly.

SungGyu lifted his head, gazing at Mia. He was already exhausted, however he could not possibly show it to her. He had been acting guilty these days, not paying her much attention at all. It has been ages since their last date, and right now doesn’t even feel like one.

I’m sorry. I have been forgetful these days… I just don’t know what to do”, SungGyu told her in an almost – whisper tone.

It’s okay”, Mia squeezed both of his hands, kissing it at the process, much to his surprise.

Well, have you talked to them about it?”, she asked, still holding his hands.

I did… and… well…”, he trailed off, staring outside the window and looking at the cherry blossoms.

Mia sensed the hesitation in SungGyu’s voice. She worries about him a lot. Being the leader of a globally known group was no easy feat. With constant pressure and a reputation to keep, she knew it was sort of taking a toll on him emotionally. She must remain calm, she thought. Her priority right now is giving constant reassurance and love to him, now that he needed it most.

You don’t need to tell me if you’re uncomfortable with it”, Mia spoke, causing SungGyu to look at her.

Besides work, there was another thing bothering him, though he was hesitant on saying it out loud. Not seeing each other for weeks took a toll on him, making him wonder if she was angry at him. She always texted him but it takes time for him to respond. It was unsettling for him though he couldn’t help it. Sometimes, his manager takes away his phone for him to concentrate during rehearsals. He loved her but sometimes, he wonders if he’s doing enough for her to know that he really does.

 

I missed our anniversary”, SungGyu remarked glumly, averting his eyes from her.

We can always celebrate it whenever we’re both free”, Mia said in a cool tone, smiling sweetly at him.

I also missed your recital”, he recalled, still looking away from her.

I could always give you a special performance”, she chuckled, pinching his nose playfully.

I missed our-”, he continued when she decided to cut him off.

It’s okay”, she spoke, holding his gaze. “Finish your cake first”, she said, looking at him pleadingly. He just sighed in response, and ate the cake bite per bite.

 

Can I ask you something?”, SungGyu now set his gaze straight at Mia, inching closer towards her.

Mm”, Mia replied, taking a bite of the strawberry shortcake.

Why do you keep up with me? Some people would get mad if their partners brushed them off or don’t pay them much attention. We rarely see each other, and yet…”, he faltered, playing with his fingers.

You still… give me your biggest smile, as if we’re meeting for the first time. I see you sad, sometimes, but never angry. I thought that you might shout at me, or even hit me because I kept cancelling our plans recently. I couldn't help it though”, he finally said, holding her hand this time.

I have you”, Mia answered him, playing with his hand. “It doesn’t matter where or when. I knew what I was getting into when I wanted to be with you. Don’t push yourself too much. I’m not leaving”, Mia assured him. They had this conversation for countless times, and Mia remained firm to her answer. Whenever SungGyu always feels guilty about not giving her much time, much attention that any girlfriend would need, she provided him with reassurance that it was okay.

The reason I said yes to you was because I know for myself that you’re important to me, other than my family, of course. Right now, to me, you are the most important person”, she emphasized, looking at him earnestly.

As long as I have you, I’m content. Time may not always be on our side but I’m patient. I love you, you know that, so please don’t doubt yourself or my feelings”, she looked at him earnestly, holding his gaze, just how she wanted to.

I. Love. You. Kim. Sung. Gyu”, she told him, pausing after each word for emphasis, to which he finally smiled.

 

SungGyu felt overwhelmed on how many times she said that she loved him, and those words sounded like the sweetest melody he ever heard. Why did he ever doubt her in the first place? Despite their ups and downs, she never left him. Her compassion and patience always comforted him in the warmest way possible.

 

I’ll make it up to you, I promise”, SungGyu said, his voice becoming brighter and more full of hope.

I know you will”, Mia answered with a wink, eating the last bite of her strawberry shortcake.

Why don’t we do something couple-y?”, SungGyu suggested, leaning closer to her.

Like what?”, Mia’s eyes sparked with curiosity. Holding her cup of cappuccino, she finished it down to the last drop.

Wait here”, SungGyu stood up excitedly, making his way to the barista.

Mia shook her head, chuckling while looking at SungGyu. She then continued to look at the trees outside. As she observed the swaying of the branches, she suddenly remembered the poem she wrote for him on their first anniversary.

 

Like how the petals fell slowly to the ground

Light was my heart when I fell for you

How I only see color when you’re around

How I know that you love me too

 

Ta – da!”, her thoughts were suddenly interrupted with SungGyu’s voice. Placing the milkshake on the table, SungGyu sat down and held Mia's hand.

This is… way out of your character”, Mia remarked with a laugh. She didn’t let go of his hand, and instead leaned closer, putting her lips on the straw. SungGyu did the same, and the distance between them grew smaller.

I always see this in movies. I wanted to try it out”, SungGyu exclaimed, holding her cheek in the process. Mia’s face flushed in bright red, causing her to pull back but SungGyu held her in her place.

Just stay still. I want to look at your face”, SungGyu smiled.

Ya, why are you saying those things…”, Mia touched her cheek, still warm from SungGyu’s choice of words.

SungGyu laughed, much to Mia’s relief. It has been a while since he smiled like that. She missed the sound of his laugh, how his eyes turn into a straight line by smiling so widely, how he touches her cheek every time she blushes.

 

Time passed by quickly that they didn't realize that they had to leave; Mia to the music room around five blocks away, and SungGyu back to the dance studio for rehearsal. Leaving the shop hand – in – hand, the two made their way to the door, bidding the barista farewell.

I wish there’s some way I could make it up to you right now, though. I think the milkshake thing was not enough”, SungGyu remarked as they exited the coffee shop, walking hand in hand.

Actually, there is”, Mia answered him playfully, turning to him. SungGyu looked at her with utmost attention.

How?”, he looked at her quizzically.

Mia took a step closer to him, and suddenly kissed him on his lips, leaving him stunned.

That would have to do for now”, she took a step back and smiled at him. As she was about to walk, SungGyu pulled her back, holding her by the waist, the once open space between them now gone.

Not enough”, SungGyu remarked and pulled her into a deep kiss.

 

The petals from the cherry blossoms continued to fall as they were swept away by the cool spring breeze. In that moment, all of his worries faded away. No one could explain the happiness he was feeling at that instant, holding close the one person whom he most wanted to be with, the one person he can confide al his frustrations and his worries, the one person he can truly be himself with.

Mia, he thought.

I will never let you go.