Our Confession

Jungri One Shot

One Two...Yerim on a thigh stand
Two Two... Yerim was on the extension
Three Two... Yerim executed perfect scorpion position 
Four Two... Yerim was being sprung upwards 
Five Two... Yerim was landed on the base 


“Great work, Yerim,” Yerim team mates high five her. 

“Alright team,” the instructor clapped his hand to call for their attention. “Great work everybody. We will take 10 before we resume the practice.”

“Hey boys~” Yerim waved her fingers when she spotted her close friends; Jaehyun and Mark over the bench.

“Take this,” Jaehyun tossed the bottle towards Yerim and she caught it with a swift move.

“Thank you Jaehyun…” Yerim mimicked a cute voice.

Yerim then sat in between Jaehyun and Mark where Jaehyun handed her a towel to wipe her sweats and Mark used a portable mini fan to cool her down. The three of them had been close since young and they always tried to make time to watch her practice as ‘brothers’ duties. 

“I’ve heard that the basketball team will be using the basketball court in here with us later for their practice since their basketball court was under maintenance,” Nayeon who joined them later, shared the information excitedly. The elite basketball team had practice at their own closed-door basketball court and no one was able  to take a glimpse on their practice. 

“Really? Today’s my lucky day.” Yerim tiredness vanished when she became excited. Just then, a group of boys entered the hall and Yerim eyes scanned among them and finally spotted him. There he is, doing his signature flipped hair when he walked over the bench. Jeon Jung Kook is the heartthrob and ace player in the basketball representing the school. Jung Kook was also the reason that she had joined cheerleading. All the girls are screaming in happiness when all the handsome looking guy are in the same hall with them. 

Being in the cheerleading team brings Yerim advantage as she will get to see him often and cheer for him during his match even from afar. Jungkook had many admirers in school and Kim Yerim was one of them. Many people claimed that Jung Kook was a reserved and cold prince but it was also the traits of him attracted the girls in school. 

Jungkook had received multiplies of love declaration from the girls in school but he accepted none of them. Knowing that Jungkook had rejected all the attractive and talented girls in school made Yerim kept her feelings inside her heart. Only her close friends know about it. 

Although Kim Yerim is a social butterfly in school and smart, she knew she will never catch Jungkook eyes on her. Yerim was friendly and almost everyones’ are her friends but she was not even friend with Jungkook. Yerim remembered back then when she tried to strike a conversation with Jungkook by saying Hello to him, the response she received was a brief nod without a smile and walked past right her. It was also why she was attracted to him. .

“Yerim, you are drooling already,” Mark teased as he cupped his hand like a bowl beneath Yerim chin.

“Yah… Stop it,” Yerim pushed his hand away and titled her head to follow Jung Kook sight. 

Just when Yerim thought that she can get to watch him practice, her instructor called them back for their routine.

“See you guys later…” Yerim linked arms with Nayeon to join the rest of the team. 

After some time, Yerim cheerleading practice had ended. Yerim re-joined Mark who had patiently waited for her to go to library for their assignment. She glanced over at the basketball team taking a short break now. 

Yerim and Mark walked past the Basketball court to exit when suddenly Yerim halted her steps when she heard someone yelling her name across. 

“Kim Yerim!” Yerim turned and saw someone from the Basketball team running towards her.

“Yerim Shi… This is for you…” Taeyong passed her a note. “Please only read it when you are alone.” Taeyong added nervously. 

“Taeyong shi…” Yerim was clueless but accepted it anyway. 

Taeyong returned to join his team when Haechan asked curiously, “Hyung, what did you pass to Yerim?” 

“I asked her to meet me tomorrow after school,” Taeyong replied.

“Wow Hyung!” Haechan punched Taeyong arm. “You are finally going to confess to Yerim?”

Taeyong nodded. “Yes. Wish me luck for tomorrow.”

In the meanwhile, Mark teased Yerim that she will be receiving another love declaration and she will be breaking another boy heart. Yerim refused to allow Mark to know what Taeyong has written but he managed to snatch the piece of note from her anyway.

“Taeyong did not say he is going to confess. He’s asking me to meet him though I am not sure why. We aren’t that close either,” Yerim shrugged.

“Isn’t it obvious. Taeyong likes you. Everybody except you knows about it. I am only amazed that he only decided to confess now after so long,” Mark emphasized.

“I feel bad if he is really going to confess. I don’t want to be a heartbreaker,” Yerim sighed if what Mark said is true. Yerim had enough breaking people hearts and she felt really guilty about it.

“What about you accept his confession? Taeyong is considered as a warming man and he’s really good looking. He does not lose to Jungkook in any comparison. Moreover, he likes you…” Mark winked. 

“But my heart belongs to someone else…” Yerim said softly.

“Tough to be Kim Yerim,” Mark yawned. 

“Alright. Let’s not talk about it. We had assignment to finish,” Yerim said as she retrieved her books and laptop out from her bag. 

Shortly after, Jaehyun joined them after running errands earlier. 

“Jeon Jung Kook…” Mark suddenly whispered the name.
Yerim heart raced and looked around after Mark mentioned his name, only to realized she got prank again by him. 

Mark laughed at Yerim reaction and yelped when Yerim playfully tapped his forehead with her pen. “You will get it harsher if you prank me again.” 

Yerim crossed opposite to sit beside Jaehyun and put her head on his shoulder. Yerim always does that when she felt sleepy and Jaehyun shoulders are really comfortable. They are already used to skin to skin contact.

“Jeon Jung Kook…” It was only few minutes passed and Mark was on it again. .

“Not again?” Yerim tiredly rolled her eyes at Mark as she continued leaning her head on Jaehyun shoulder.

“He’s right behind you…” Mark mumbled, this time he wasn’t lying. 

“You really want to get it from me right. Do you think I am that stupid to fall for it twice?” 

“Is the seat taken?” Yerim jolted up from Jaehyun shoulder when she heard a familiar voice from behind.

Yerim turned back and tucked her hair behind her ear with a shy smile and answered, “The seat is available.” Yerim began to shift her laptop and books to make space for Jungkook. 

Yerim caught Mark smirking at her and mouthed, “I told you so.”

Jungkook was already freshened up and was in his normal shirt and Bermuda’s. Yerim heart was filled with happiness when Jungkook is sitting right in front of her. This is by far the closest interaction they had.

“Jaehyun, aren’t we meeting Jaemin for our game match?” Mark eye signaled Jaehyun.

“Oh right… I nearly forgot that it was almost time to meet him,” Jaehyun got Mark message and started to pack his book into his bag. 

“You guys are ditching on me?” Yerim pouted and pulled the hem of shirt Jaehyun is wearing. “I thought we are going for dinner after this?”

“We will meet for dinner later ok?” Jaehyun promised. “I will text you when we are done.”

“Alright…” Yerim smiled. “See you guys later then.” 

Jaehyun patted her head and together with Mark, they left the library. 

“Where are we going? I felt guilty lying to Yerim,” Jaehyun asked Mark once they are outside the library.

“Don’t feel guilty. Yerim is going to thanks us for it. Let’s go to the café and wait first,” Mark laughed. 

There was an awkward silence between Yerim and Jungkook. Yerim rested her elbow on the table and admired Jungkook when he was too focused on scribbling words on his word.

“Cute…” Yerim accidentally blurted out and Jungkook looked at her.

“I was saying the photo of me and Jaehyun looked cute,” Yerim flustered and laughed nervously as she came up with silly excuse for herself. 

“You and Jaehyun seemed very close,” Jungkook commented silently and continued to do his work.

Jungkook felt unknowingly disturbed when he witnessed Yerim leaning her head on Jaehyun shoulder earlier. Jungkook knew that they are close but why did he felt bitter about it. Yerim and Jaehyun interactions had made Jungkook wondered if they are more than friends. 

“We grew up together. I am also close to Mark. We are like brothers and sister relationship. Nothing more than it,” Yerim felt the need to explain to Jungkook in case he had mistook their relationship. 

“Oh.” Jungkook replied. He was slightly embarrassed about it. 

“By the way, you are going to meet Taeyong tomorrow?” Jungkook started. 

“You knew?” Yerim was surprised and he nodded. Jungkook had overheard Taeyong and Haechan conversation just now.

What’s more surprising to Yerim was that Jungkook actually talked to her. “I am going to meet him tomorrow at the rooftop of the business building,” Yerim disclosed the location to Jungkook.

Jungkook remained poker face and replied in short. “I see.”
Yerim said nothing but gave him a quick smile. Yerim was puzzled why did Jungkook asked about it. 

Minutes later, Yerim noticed that Jungkook started packing up. “You are leaving?” 

Jungkook nodded curtly and slung his bag over. “Wait for me. Let’s go together.” Yerim packed up quickly and followed Jungkook behind.

Yerim was determined to make friends with Jungkook at least. “How was your training? When’s the next competition?” Yerim initiated the conversation when she finally caught up with him. 

“Training the same. Why don’t you ask Taeyong when you sees him tomorrow?” Jungkook said.

Yerim pursed her lip. What got it do with Taeyong? Why can’t he just tell me?

“Hey watch out!” Yerim heard Jungkook shouted and the next thing she found that her body was wrapped by Jungkook arm as if he was shielding her from something. 

“I’m sorry mate!” A boy came running towards them apologized and took the soccer ball.

“It’s alright. We are not hurt, just be careful next time,” Jungkook said and released Yerim who was still shocked at what just happened. 

“Thank you, Jungkook shi…” Yerim composed herself and thanked him. If it was not him, she would have been hit by the ball. 

“No worries,” Luckily Jungkook was observant and reacted fast enough, otherwise the ball could have really hit Yerim. 
Yerim kept smiling to herself at the images flashed in her mind on how Jungkook had protected her. 
                                          < The next day >

“Aren’t you going to meet Taeyong?” Mark asked when he saw Yerim still in her class when school had ended. 

“Oh ! I had forgotten about it!” Yerim stuffed all her things back inside her bag and quickly ran to the rooftop. Yerim was still occupied with yesterday’s incident and her mind was filled with Jungkook images only. “Thanks Mark!” Not forgetting to expressed her thanks to him when she left.

“Taeyong! I’m so sorry to keep you waiting.” Yerim finally reached the rooftop and panted, catching her breathe.

“Are you okay? Did you run to here?” Taeyong smiled and offered her the bottle of water he had.

“Yes. Sorry.. and thank you for the drink. Did you wait long?” Yerim gulped the water down . 

Taeyong chuckled at how cute Yerim was and shook his head. “It’s fine. I actually thought you will not come but I’m glad that you did.”

“What is it that you want to meet me here?” Yerim asked curiously. 

“Yerim. I – have been wanted to tell you that I – am…” Taeyong nervously started in a soft tone. His heart was thumping when he watched Yerim staring intently at him awaiting him to carry on with his sentence. 

“I – like – you. I had laid my eyes on you when you joined cheerleader. You are beautiful and smart. You made me feel like doing better at myself to meet your standard. I know that you are pursued by many boys out there. I just want you to know that I really like you so much that I cannot stop thinking of you. Today I mustered my courage to ask you. Will – you – give me – a chance to care for you and protect you. Be your shining knight?” Taeyong finally said out everything that’s been in his heart forever.

Taeyong waited patiently for her reply. Yerim bit her lip and said, “Taeyong. Thank you for your feelings for me and thought highly of me. You are also a great person that I adore but I am sorry that I cannot reciprocate your feelings. I just want to concentrate on my studies. I am really sorry,” there Yerim goes on breaking another boy heart again. 

“I actually know you will reject me. I understand that you want to put all your concentration on studies. I still can pursue you and made you changed your mind about me?” Taeyong asked hopefully. 

“Taeyong. Don’t waste your time on me. There are plenty of girls out there admire you. Why don’t you consider them? They are way better than me.” Yerim coaxed.

“You are worth the wait. You don’t know how much you meant to me.” Taeyong expressed. 

“Taeyong. Don’t… I am not worth for you to wait for me. I actually like someone else,” Yerim finally confessed. Yerim sensed that Taeyong was different from other boys who confessed their love for her. The others will back off after she told them that she would prefer to study then being in a relationship but Taeyong was more persistent. Yerim had no choice but to tell him the truth that she had someone else in her heart. 

“Who’s that lucky guy?” There was evident of sadness in Taeyong voice. 

“I cannot tell you who he is but I had liked him for a long while now,” Yerim looked down with a soft sigh.

“One sided love?” Taeyong asked when he heard her sigh.

They sat down on the used thrown chairs at the rooftop.
Yerim nodded with a sad smile.

“Have you tried confessing?” Taeyong checked.

“No. I did not. I don’t have the courage, I am also worried about being reject,” Yerim slightly laughed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it bad.” Yerim apologized after realizing that Taeyong had just confessed to her. 

“It’s alright, I hope that you will be brave and tell him how he feels. You never know how likable and approachable you are to us. It is not hard to fall in love with you. I believe that the guy you like will also like you too. He’s the lucky bastard,” Taeyong laughed.

“Thank you for your kind words, Taeyong. I hope that we can be like this. You are easy to talk to, you know?” Yerim stated.

“Well.. it’s your loss for not accepting me. I am way more than you thought of me,” Taeyong managed to joke though his heart was pained.

“Yes right! You are such a good man! I hope that you will find someone worth your love,” Yerim said sincerely. “We are still friends right. We can still talk normally like this in future right?” 

“Of course. Even if you don’t want to be friends with me. I will keep bugging on you until you agreed to be my friend,” Taeyong laughed heartily. 

“Can I hug you? A friendship hug. I actually needed it right now since I was rejected by someone not long,” Taeyong spread his arm and asked in a light tone. 

Yerim found him cute when Taeyong acted like Yerim was not the one who rejected him just now but someone else did. She leaned in and gave him a hug. 

Without knowing, someone witnessed their little hugging moments. He left the scene immediately with a broken heart. 
                                   < Few days later >
Jungkook team was in the indoor hall having their basketball practice. 

“Hyung. You looked silly smiling like an idiot on the phone. Who texted you?” Haechan asked and peered at Taeyong phone. 

“Yerim…” Haechan smirked after he saw the sender name appeared on Taeyong phone. “No wonder you are smiling like this.” 

Jungkook unintentionally heard their conversation. He did not mean to eavesdrop but Taeyong and Haechan was in front back facing Jungkook. 

So they are already together. Jungkook thought sourly.

“I thought she had rejected you?” Haechan said.

He was rejected?! Jungkook let out a small smile and somehow relieved. Jungkook thought back when he went to rooftop the day when Taeyong asked Yerim out. Jungkook had no idea why he went there but he did, perhaps he was curious on whether Yerim will accept Taeyong feelings. Although a part of Jungkook, he did not want Yerim to be in relationship with anyone just yet. 

However Taeyong was a good catch, he can’t help but to worry slightly that Yerim might consider Taeyong. Jungkook hid himself behind the door with Taeyong and Yerim under his scrutiny but unable to hear what they talked about since Jungkook was far away from them. Jungkook felt his stomach twisted and his heart was pricked when Taeyong and Yerim hugged. 

“Yes she did rejected me but we are now friends. Can’t friends chat?” Taeyong happily texting a reply to her. 

Yerim did rejected Taeyong but Jungkook felt jealous when they had each other number. Jungkook felt himself being petty when Yerim wasn’t his in the first place. 

“Hyung. You are one great man.” Haechan patted Taeyong shoulder. In Haechan view, he found impossible to remain as friend when one have feelings known to the other who doesn’t. 
                                           ***
“Yerim-shi,” Yerim turned around and saw her instructor walking over towards her. “Are you heading over to the sport hall?”

Yerim nodded. “Great! Can you do me a favor? I had an urgent meeting right now. Please help me to keep these at the storeroom in the sport hall, thank you.”

“Noted, no problem,” Yerim smiled and took the stuff from him.

After Yerim completed arranging the stuff back to its original shelves, she returned to the sport hall and found it empty. Yerim played some music and started to do warms up and then practiced on her cheerleading moves. Yerim was too engrossed in her practice that she hadn’t realized Jungkook was leaning against the wall of the changing room, watching intently at her. Even when Yerim was  practicing, Jungkook realized that her smiles had never leave her face, and that cheerful, satisfactory smile had him unknowingly smiled too. 

Jungkook had already noticed Yerim when she first joined cheerleading team. She was the flyer of the team, an attractive, cheerful and bright flyer he ever seen. Whenever there is inter-school basketball competition, Yerim will always be part of the cheer, doing opening and cheering for them. Yerim may seemed tiny but she is very flexible and dare devil to put up those risk stunt performance. 

Jungkook had been observing Yerim secretly since then. Jungkook remembered when Yerim greeted him for the first time, he was so nervous that he only nod shortly at her. When Yerim finished with her moves, she heard clapping echoing the hall. Yerim turned around and was shocked to see Jungkook standing there with his hair still damp. He must had just showered just now.

“Hey Jungkook shi,” Yerim waved at him with a shy smile. Jungkook still looked exceptionally handsome with his damp hair. 

“Hi Yerim shi,” Jungkook returned the wave back. “You did great just now.”

“Thank you.” Yerim blushed at his compliment and tried to remain calm in front of him. 

Jungkook nodded with a smile. “I hope I did not disturb you.” 
Did Jungkook just smiled at me?!

“No, you are not. I am done with my practice actually. What are you doing here? I thought training had ended an hour ago?” Yerim asked.

“I volunteered to stay back to do some cleaning up,” Jungkook answered and he was glad that he made the right decision, otherwise, he wouldn’t have met Yerim here. 

“That’s sweet of you…” Yerim can’t help but to swoon. Jungkook is really the perfect ideal guy.

Jungkook tried to hide the bashful smile when Yerim said he was sweet. Jungkook asked Yerim if she wanted to play basketball as he caught her eyes at the ball he was holding. Yerim nodded eagerly and took the ball from Jungkook. “I have always thought playing basketball was cool.”

Yerim only knew how to bounce the ball forward and around. 

“Try to aim and toss over the hook,” Jungkook sat down and watched her.

Yerim tried many attempts but still did not manage to toss into the hoop. “It’s impossible. I am too short,” Yerim complained with a pout.

“I will show you how to do it,.” Yerim breath hitched when Jungkook stood close behind her and whispered. Jungkook hand wrapped on top Yerim hand who’s holding onto the ball.

“Have your focus on the hoop. Imagine you and the ball are one. You must believe that you will toss the ball over the hoop. There we go…” Yerim listened to his angelic voice and bent their knees slightly, arched up and stretched out their hand to throw the ball towards the hoop.

“Three pointers!” Jungkook was so proud of her. 

“Omo!!” Yerim jumped immediately when the ball went through the hoop. “I did it! We did it!” Yerim exclaimed and ran over to collect the ball. 

Yerim started to follow Jungkook advice and each time she successfully tossed in, she giggled happily to herself. Jungkook smiled at her and thumbs up for Yerim whenever she did it. 

“Ah… I am so tired…” Yerim had played long enough, decided to stop and laid her body in the middle of the basketball court. 

To Yerim surprise, Jungkook also joined her as he laid beside her with his hand supported his head.

“It was so fun.” Yerim turned to face Jungkook and smiled.

“Thanks for guiding me, Jungkook shi. I can brag to them I did a three pointer throw.” 

“You are welcome. You are fast learner,” Jungkook locked his gaze into Yerim.

Both Jungkook and Yerim are staring intently at each other and felt electrified. Yerim blinked when Jungkook extended his hand over to her face and brushed her messy fringe aside. Yerim heartbeat accelerated at his simplest touch. Yerim immediately sat up to prevent Jungkook from seeing her face turned red. 

“I’m sorry if I did something inappropriate…” Jungkook apologized instantly after he watched Yerim reaction. Jungkook mentally scolded himself. 

Yerim shook her head. “I actually have something to tell you.” It’s now or never.

“Jungkook shi…I hope that we can still be friends no matter what is the outcome of what I am going to say to you now,” Yerim took a deep breathe as they faced each other.

Jungkook nodded but wondered what she wants to tell him. Jungkook waited for awhile until Yerim began to speak again. 

“Jungkook shi… I – like you. I want to be honest about my feelings for you. I am sorry if I burden you with my confession. I just hope that we will still be friends even after this whole thing,” Yerim finally mustered all her courage and let her feelings for him known. 

Yerim covered her face and mumbled to herself embarrassed. “Gosh. This is awkward now. Did I really said that.”

Jungkook was dumbfounded at her confession. “Sorry Yerim, I don’t think I can be friends with you.”

Yerim heart sank and broke when Jungkook cruelly rejected both her feelings and friendship. Yerim eyes remained covered by her hand. “I understand.” Yerim finally understood the feeling of getting rejected and she was even guiltiest when she had rejected so many. 

Yerim held her tears and stood up, walked away from this embarrassed and hurtful situation. Suddenly, Yerim felt a force from behind pulling her and it was Jungkook who is hugging her petite frame.

“You hadn’t finish hearing me.” Jungkook said.

“Are you crying?” Jungkook heard soft sob and his shirt was wet. Jungkook released Yerim and used his thumb to wipe the rolling tears from her. “I’m sorry.” Jungkook apologized for making her cry. 

“Don’t apologized. I understand if you don’t feel the same as me and neither wanting to be friend with me,” Yerim masked a smile. “I will get over it.”

“I don’t want to be you friend because I – “

“Stop. I really don’t need to know the reason,” Yerim interrupted and looked away. She was already sad and she really don’t want to hear his explanation. 

Jungkook tilted Yerim head with his hand. He gazed fondly at her. “Because I like you too.” 

Yerim eyes widened. Did she just heard it right? 

“I have been liking you since forever. I was flustered when you confessed. I should be the one who make the confession to you first. I guessed you are so much braver than me,” Jungkook confessed. “Let’s not be friends. Will you be my girlfriend?” 

Yerim smiled finally and embraced him. “I thought you wouldn’t ask.” Yerim nodded her head and continued, “I love you boyfriend.”

“I love you too girlfriend.” Jungkook lovingly pecked on Yerim forehead.