Angel

You Are My Pet

I'm so happy that our club adviser excused me to all my subject professors just so I could come to Jong-In oppa's competition in exchange for covering the event. I saw oppa talking to his coach. As much as I want to walk to him and wish him good luck, I can't. I mean, they might be talking important— of course it's important. Just then, oppa turns and sees me. A knot suddenly form in my stomach, I could feel my pulse palpitate against my skin, and my hands feel so sticky.


Oppa waves and walks toward me.


Hanky! Whe— where's my hanky? I subtly pat my pockets looking for it. Finding it on my back pocket, I pull it right away then wipe each of my hand before Oppa decides to hold my hand unto his lips and kiss the back of it.


I shiver at the touch of his lips on my skin, and I blush when I see his eyes dilated a few centimeters. "I'm glad you came."


Before I could even speak, someone beats me to it.


"Kim Jongin-ssi," a girl calls, walking straight to him, not sparing me a glance. She's with someone who seems awestruck by Oppa. I mean, who wouldn't, right? "We came to support you." She says sweetly.


Oppa laughs a little, and thank them. Just as I thought he'll finally turns to me, the other girl suddenly speaks, asking if they can take a photo with him. And so, they forget that I'm actually here.


Looking at my surroundings, there's a lot of people which I don't actually want to interact with. Not that I have to converse with them, it's just.. I don't like this kind of atmosphere, like you don't belong here.


"No~" a student playing on her phone wails, followed by a computer generated voice saying 'game over' 


No?


Why does that sound ring a bell?


"Can you go to my performance tomorrow?"


"Performance?"


"Yep. We're gonna perform. I'm going to have a solo as an angel."


"It's not free?"


"Of course, it's not. Those who want to watch will have to buy a ticket, either on the day of the performance at school or through internet"


I nod while listening intently. It's actually nice that at their young age, helping others who are in need is one of their priorities. Maybe because Momo knows how it feels like.


"What time is it?"


"10:00 to noon. We give free snacks as well to those who will come." I give Momo a look as if she grew two heads at once, in return she raises her brows in question. Free snacks? Really? Doesn't she knows that eating in the auditorium is prohibited, it's not a banquete hall. I shrug my shoulder, then fix the papers, secure them in partition folders and put aside.


"Well? No~?"


Sadly, I have to decline. I already promised Oppa that I will be there to support him, I can't just ditch him.


Oh, "I'm sorry. But I have an important appointment tomorrow."


"Appointment?"


"Yes. There's this event that I need to cover." 


"Eh. So, it really is a no then," she mumbles with a pout. Rolling my eyes, I assure her that I will watch her performance next time.


I look at my watch, there is still a time for me to get there. I fish my phone out calling another member that I know I can rely in times like this. I ask him if he can cover for me because I need to see my pet's performance. He said it's fine since he's actually on his way here, but is skeptical with my reason. Well, that's the closest to the truth.


"Wait, Mina. Where are you going?"


"I— I need to go back to school."


"What? But the contest—"


"I'll see you tomorrow, Oppa."


I run out of the building to the bus stop, patiently waiting for the ride I book after my call with Bambam. I don't know why am I rushing to see her dance. I mean, yeah, she did piqued my interest with her talent, but I have never seen her dance ever since. Not to mention, I already said no to her.


Thankfully we arrive on time and I rush to the front desk— I guess that's the ticket booth Momo was referring to— outside the auditorium hall. I frown at the familiar faces who manned the booth.


They're awfully quiet which is unusual because these two always fight when put in the same place. So, this is really strange to see that both of them are calmly doing their task. A surprised Nayeon unnie asks for the reason of my attendance which I discreetly answer. On the other hand, Jeongyeon seems happy that I'm here with all her smile plastered on her face. Maybe, that's how it really is.


"Myoui-ssi, here's your ticket and snacks." Jeongyeon says, giving me the ticket along with it's booklet and snacks that's beautifully wrapped in white see-through cloth with a ribbon. "Enjoy watching."


I give back the snacks but Jeongyeon insists to keep it in case I'll get hungry before Nayeon unnie's attempts on snatching it away from me. Let's say it's a save. 


Upon entering the auditorium, the lights on the stage is dimmed indicating that the show is about to commence. I awkwardly walk to the aisle, bend over until I get to my assigned seat. I have never seen our dance company performed before, though we cover the successful event I'm not the one who was assigned to it. So, this will be my first time. And—


I watch Momo's movements carefully. You can definitely distinct her from the other dancers. Her moves are more fluid and precise, her facial expression the entire routine matches the music and her aura suits her role of as an angel.


Momo the angel...


It looks like she'll soothe those who are hurt and forgive those who have sinned. Tss. An angel indeed who popped out of nowhere and accept an impure person like me.


I never said this before, but I do admire Momo. A lot. She always work hard— she must have worked a lot for this one, too. She never complained about anything. She's always there where I could reach her; when I need someone to hold onto. Now, looking at Momo from afar... it's almost as if I couldn't reach nor see her.


Between the two of us, the one who is dependent is me.


I am the one depending on you...


——


The show was amazing. Everyone congratulated them, especially Momo who got a lot of attention. Saw the interaction from backstage. It's fine, though. Momo deserves it.


Since I have nothing to do, since I skip classes for today. I went grocery shopping and straight back home right after the event. I'm going to cook Momo her favorite meal. I'm pretty sure she's gonna be happy. This will be my congratulatory gift to her, since I buy a bouquet.


She's all smile when flock of students and outsiders gave her bouquet... Should I get her one too? Will she be happy? Ey, she'll think of me as one of her fans, or worst, Momo will say something stupid again. Nevermind. Let's stick to my cuisine.


I pause when I hear the doorbell, thinking it is Momo. Putting the knife down, I wipe my hands on the apron I'm wearing, turn the knob open. "Momo you'r—"


The smile on my face falters. What is he doing here?


"Mina-ssi..."


I let him in in my house. He makes a comment about how nothing change in my house ever since he left. What was I thinking again that I actually let him live here before? Not that something happened between us, he respects me. Too much, I think, that's why we broke up. But if he does, he won't do that thing he did to me, right?


I don't know why I'm still riled up, when in truth, I have already moved on. I'm not hurt because he cheated on me. But because, he broke my trust.


"I'm sorry, I came here unannounced."


"What do you want?"


"Don't worry, it won't take long. I'll go home  right away." I shrug my shoulder, sitting on the couch. I stare up at him, who awkwardly does it back. He seems nervous to sit next to me, not gonna blame him thou. Well, he can stand the whole day for all I care. "I will not attend school anymore. I just want to talk with you before I leave."


"I don't have anything to discuss with you."


"You haven't changed," he smiles to himself.


I frown, a little annoyed. "Really?" What is he smiling for? Did he just come here to insult me? To see how I cope up ever since we split. "I'm more surprised you showed up on my door after all that happened. It's very unlikely of you to do something like that. I don't need your pity."


He nods to himself. "That girl you are with at the park... She was the one who advised me to talk with you. I did not come here to have arguments. I understand that you're still mad at me, I've done terrible things to you. I know I shouldn't."


I keep quiet. Tears burning in my eyes, threatening to fall. No, no. Get back, get back. I look up to the ceiling, sighing, trying not to get flashbacks of the first encounter I had with his girl, the day we broke up, that same day he confessed that he got her pregnant, when he sent me an invitation to his wedding which I, of course, did not attend.


"But I can't protect you from myself. We both know that if we keep this relationship, it'll be toxic for the two of us. I cheated on you, it was I who wronged you, so you should not blame yourself. You've done nothing but good to me, and I return them by breaking your trust. You— you're too perfect for someone like me. You're like this expensive art in the gallery: untouchable, if so handled with so much care."


Looking back at those time, he took an effort to rekindle our relationship— at least, our friendship. He tried to be honest and brave to confront me and reach out to me, and I'm the one running away from them.


"It's okay."


"Do you forgive me?"


"Will it change everything that happened?" He shakes his head, looking down at his feet. "I can't forgive you just because you apologise to me a lot of times, I hope you understand." He nods. "I can't also forget everything." Nod. "But we're good." I smile at him.


I inquire about her wife's condition, the last time I saw her, her baby bump is already obvious. He told me that she's fine and her due will be in two months. All throughout the conversation, he is smiling, anxiousness and uncomfortable silence finally uplifted.


I'm happy for him. I'm happy for them.


"I'm so thankful for that girl, if it wasn't for her, I will not have courage to face you. Who is she? Does she lives here? I'd like to personally thank her."


"My pet." Eh— "That girl is my pet."

 


---
A/N: unedited. Apologies for the errors. Enjoy reading! Thank you. Take care everyone <3