Guys' Night

Redecoration

 

I’m greeted by a cake in the face and howls of laughter when Sunggyu’s door opens for me. I think it was Hoya who did it but I’m not sure because all the guys are surrounding me and guffawing loudly next to my ears as I catch the cake in my hands and look up to push it into the first person I see.

 

When the cake platter is out of my hands, I grab some of the frosting and cake off my face and shoulders to smear it on another couple guys. That’s when they start running and we all end up chasing after each other until the remains of the cake is either smeared across our clothing or dropped on the floor outside of Gyu hyung’s house.

 

“Aww he’s laughing again!” Woohyun pats my back roughly as I let out another chuckle, wiping more frosting off my face. The others are hollering in celebration too at my newfound expression of humor.

 

“What did you guys do that for anyway? It’s not my birthday, or any of yours for that matter.” I pause for a second, relaying all their birthdays in my head, “Is it?” I ask to make sure.

 

“No, it’s not. But we brought cake to celebrate!” Dongwoo lifts his arms into the air happily.

 

“Did someone win the lottery?” I ask.

 

“No, but close enough.” Woohyun shrugs, throwing an arm around me, “Myungsoo and I got jobs at Lotte World, you know what that means right?”

 

“That depends. Where did you get the job?” I ask.

 

“Well I’ll be at the photo booth shop while Myungsoo works one of the ice cream booths at the food court.” Woohyun smiles proudly.

 

“I thought you signed up to work at the ice skating rink?” I question.

 

“Well this job is better. I mean, I’d much rather give people scissors or press a few buttons on the machines than run around looking for different skate sizes and smelly shoes for people.” He shrugs, “But Myung’s job is a bonus. Now we can get all the ice cream we want, right?” he laughs.

 

“Don’t even try it man.” Myungsoo shakes his head, a playful smile on his lips. “Maybe I’ll give you free sprinkles if you don’t cause a ruckus or something.” He offers.

 

“Well that’s no fun.” Dongwoo pouts, “I’ve always looked forward to free ice cream.”

 

“So that just leaves Sungjong as the only one without a job now!” Woohyun shouts triumphantly.

 

“Hey!” Sungjong protests.

 

“It’s okay, buddy. We’ll give you a break since you’re still a freshman.” Dongwoo pats his back comfortingly.

 

“Tch. Just watch, I’ll get a better job than all of you hyungs just because I’m cuter.” He holds his hands to cup his face and show off a cute expression.

 

“Hey, how dare you talk back to your hyungs?” Woohyun scolds, jumping and catching Sungjong’s neck in a headlock to ruffle his hair, leaving Sungjong to yell in protest.

 

“Ah! Ah! Hyung stop!”

 

“That’s right, take it like a man!” Woohyun taunts, still rubbing his knuckles against Sungjong’s head.

 

Minutes later, we’re all scrambling inside the house to reach the bathroom in Sunggyu hyung’s house to wash off. I managed to dodge everyone else by running to the kitchen sink first and claiming the sink showerhead to wash my face. Sungjong appears next to me and wets a paper towel to wipe off his face.

 

“Doing okay hyung?” he asks sweetly.

 

“Yeah, I am. Thank to you guys.” I chuckle. It was true; my mood did rise a little since that cake smashing.

 

“Were you off at one of those places you and noona always hung out at?” he asks, knowing that it’s perfectly fine for him to talk about her. He’s not as overly cautious about mentioning her around me as the others, and that makes me a little more comfortable. It helps me accept it a little better.

 

“How did you guess?” I laugh, taking my own paper towel and wiping off my face.

 

“Where else would you have come from looking so glum?” he smiles innocently at me.

 

“You’re right. I was there.” I admit, folding over my paper towel and turning to wipe off some of the frosting Sungjong missed on his forehead and near his ear. He takes his own paper towel to do the same for me.

 

He was the one who always knew how to comfort me the best somehow. All the others would pat me on the back and offer me a hug, or maybe some food, but Sungjong was the one who knew it would be better just to accompany me in my room, staying silent with a kind smile as I moped on my own. He held my hand comfortingly as I went through our photo albums or old charms and toys we bought and won together. Sungjong was the one who reacted without expecting me to get better, knowing that I wouldn’t get better right away and respecting that enough to just sit by my side without feeling the need to fill the air with talk. I liked his patience, especially for someone still so young.

 

“I knew it.” he smiles again. His innocent, child-like smile was one of the things that got me through the past month without having Heeya hold my hand every day. I miss her still, but Sungjong’s the one who’s making it clearer for me to understand acceptance. It’s getting better.

 

“Anyways, we didn’t actually eat yet, but Hoya hyung and Dongwoo hyung both brought some porridge and chicken from their shop. We were going to start eating when you came, but then they suddenly decided to have dessert first.” He explains.

 

“Sounds good. Should we set up?” I offer.

 

“Okay. We’re eating in the living room in front of the TV since we’re watching the game tonight. So I’ll just get the food and bowls and stuff.” Sungjong goes off pleasantly towards the bags filled with what must be the boxes of chicken and bowls of porridge Hoya and Dongwoo brought. I head off towards the drawers in search of spoons and forks for everyone. A guy’s night in does sound nice tonight.

 

~~~*~~~

 

References:

Lotte World is that huge mall-amusement park that has everything you need for entertainment or a carnival day in Seoul.