Four

Challenge Accepted

Kibum sat cross-legged on his bed, wearing a Gucci Mickey Mouse shirt he’d purchased with his allowance and red jeans. He pinched the bridge of his nose, deep in thought about how to deal with Choi Minjung. I would hate to admit it and I cannot understand why, but I do like Choi, Kibum thought as he bit his lip. I still don’t trust that Junghee isn’t scheming something, but maybe there’s a way for me to have my cake and eat it too. Kibum’s thoughts were interrupted by 2 beeps letting him know that it was almost time to start his 9:30 AM vlog. He jumped up and sat at his computer. Kibum took a deep breath to calm himself before smiling brightly for his webcam. “Hello, viewers, welcome to this morning’s episode of BumKey Says!”

Meanwhile, sitting at Junghee’s desk, Minjung noticed an alert on her cellphone that BumKey Says was now live. Minjung sighed and clicked to view the livestream. It’s so embarrassing that I saw him this morning, she thought, her tanned face reddening, but I’ve never missed a livestream of BumKey Says, and I’m not about to start now.

“I’ll start with my Advice from BumKey segment, in which I offer my frank opinions to viewers on a take it or leave it basis,” he said with a wink. “All right, this first letter is from Flaming Princess. I believe she was one of my first subscribers when I started this vlog two months ago.” Kibum smiled wide, highlighting his dimples. “A warm thanks to Flaming Princess for supporting this vlog from day one. After the livestream, please check your messages to claim a special prize.”

Minjung’s eyes widened. Prize? What prize? He’s never mentioned prizes before. She swallowed nervously. He wouldn’t ask for my address, would he? Minjung sighed. I love prizes, but I think I’ll have to reject this one. She slapped out of her ponderings to listen to Kibum read her letter.

“Dear Bumkey-ssi, my whole life, I’ve been an athletic tomboy. I cannot even remember the last time I wore a dress. There’s this guy that I like, but I feel like he would prefer models to tomboys. I’m tall, so I could dress like a model if I wanted to do so. Sometimes I do want to dress pretty like the other girls, at least for a day to see what it’s like, but I’m also worried that everyone would laugh at me. Please tell me what to do, your loyal viewer, Flaming Princess.”

Kibum smiled warmly after reading, pausing thoughtfully before dispensing his advice. “First of all, I think there are many stereotypes of what men and women should be like, which I try not to subscribe to. There is nothing inherently wrong with a girl being a tomboy. As for this guy, perhaps models were his ideal type, but he inexplicably finds himself falling in love with a tomboy instead.” Kibum paused thoughtfully before continuing. “In any case, princess is in your username and you deserve to be treated like one. If this guy doesn’t like you for who you are, forget about him. If you want to dress pretty, as you say, do so, but do it on your own terms, so that you’re comfortable in your own skin. Your true friends, while they may be surprised at first, will always support your decisions and be happy for you.”

Minjung smiled when hearing this, his response about falling in love with a tomboy making her hopeful. I do deserve to be treated like a princess! It’s a good thing I watched the livestream today.

“Flaming Princess, I do hope my advice was helpful. As always, I’m extremely interested in the outcomes of my viewers’ dilemmas, so feel free to message with updates. I’m especially intrigued by this concern and would love to hear from you, Flaming Princess. Other viewers, please continue to send in requests for the Advice from BumKey segment.”

“In a recent questionnaire for the DIY segment, viewers indicated that they were interested in learning about candles. So without further ado, this is how novices can make our own candles.”

***

Groaning softly, Junghee approached the door to Jinki and Taemin’s home. She carried her bass guitar in a case on her back, she held a tote bag with her books and notes in her left hand and a bag of fried chicken in her right. Chicken Oppa should have at least offered to give me a ride. Junghee arrived at the front porch and sat the tote bag down on the porch to ring the doorbell. Jinki opened the door with a huge smile that caused his eyes to become narrow crescent moons. Junghee forgot how upset she had been and smiled back, butterflies in her stomach. “Chicken, chicken, chicken,” Jinki chanted, grabbing the bag of fried chicken, and doing a little happy dance. “Nice to see you too… Chicken Oppa Babo,” Junghee muttered and grabbed her tote bag before storming inside.

She frowned and walked into the kitchen, leaving her bass guitar beside her feet as she sat at the kitchen table. She emptied her tote bag full of notes, paper, and books onto the table and glared at Jinki, who merrily placed the bag of chicken on the opposite end of the table and prepared a plate and glass of water. Junghee cleared , causing Jinki to look at her as if he were seeing her for the first time. He grinned sheepishly, “Ah, Junghee-yah, I see you’re ready for your lesson.” Junghee pouted. “Where’s Taemin? Maybe I could hang out with him while you eat your chicken.”

Jinki sat down across from Junghee. He handed her two pages of typed word problems and placed a few pieces of chicken on his plate. “Taeminnie is probably still dancing around his bedroom,” Jinki said with a proud smile. Junghee smiled and jumped up out of her seat. “Yay, I can be his audience!” “No way! You can’t go into his bedroom,” Jinki cleared his throat. “Besides, you’re here to study and practice, not be Taemin’s fangirl.” Junghee scowled and muttered, “How do you think you’re going to tutor me if you’re eating chicken?” Jinki chuckled and Junghee’s heartbeat quickened. “The chicken won’t taste as good once it’s cold. I can do both! I prepared the questions in advance. Let me know if you have any questions or need explanations for anything. Oh, and make sure to show your work.”

Junghee sighed and nodded. “Oppa, do you have juice?” “Yeah, help yourself,” Jinki said as he took a big bite out of a crunchy drumstick. Junghee poured herself a glass of juice and sat back at the table. She took a sip of juice and looked down at the word problems Jinki had prepared. The first question read:

Kim Junghee buys 1 whole fried chicken for every tutoring session.  Each fried chicken costs $25. What would be the total amount spent on 10 tutoring sessions?

She frowned. “Chicken Oppa, seriously?!” Jinki swallowed quickly and asked surprised, “What’s wrong? You don’t understand the problems?” Junghee shook her head. “I understand them, but why is every other question about chicken?” Jinki smiled sheepishly, “Sorry, I got overly excited. I’ll add more variety to the questions next time. I promise.”

“Please do,” Junghee said. She read the first question again. As Junghee worked solving the word problems, she occasionally glanced up at Jinki. Once she caught a glance of him swallowing and found herself her lips. Junghee touched her fingers to her lips. She looked down at her answer paper and saw that she’d absent-mindedly scribbled “Chicken Oppa’s Adam’s Apple” all over everything. Wide-eyed, she quickly crumpled up the paper and stuffed it in her backpack. Jinki stopped eating and raised an eyebrow, “Having trouble?” Junghee coughed and nodded. “I decided to start over on a fresh page.”

Jinki stood and began putting away the leftover chicken and disposing of his trash. He placed his plate in the dishwasher and returned to the table. “Since I ate the chicken already, I really have to earn it now,” he laughed half-heartedly. Turning serious, he asked, “Junghee-yah, do you have any questions about any of the problems?” Junghee bit her lip and shook her head. “I’m almost finished,” she told him. She finished the last few problems and nervously handed Jinki her paper to be scored.

Jinki’s eyes scanned Junghee’s paper and widened when he realized that every response was correct. “Yah, Kim Junghee! These results are unexpected!” Junghee dropped her head down, “I understand if you don’t want to tutor me after this, but please don’t tell Bummie.” Jinki frowned, “I don’t understand. How come he thinks you need a tutor?” Junghee swallowed, “Because I told my family I needed one… I didn’t think he would pick you though!” “So, you lied,” Jinki said flatly. His eyes darkened, “Were you originally planning on seducing your tutor?”

Junghee scoffed and stared at him, “So what if I was?!” She clenched her hands at her sides. “You would be too much of a coward to stop me, even if I seduced every boy in town!” Jinki glared at her, but she continued. “You rejected me! You care more about Bummie than me. Heck, you even care more about chicken than me. Don’t you dare tell me what to do!”

Jinki sighed and ran his hand through his hair. “Sorry, you’re right. I have been a coward.” He swallowed and continued, speaking rapidly, “Kim Junghee, never compare yourself to chicken! I like you so much more. Still, because I rejected you, I have no right to lecture you about seducing boys. I won’t tell Bummie anything about the tutoring, and you don’t have to bring me chicken anymore either.” Junghee’s eyes widened, “But why…” Her question was interrupted by Taemin moonwalking into the room.

***

As soon as BumKey Says ended, Minjung checked her messages and sure enough, there was an instant message from BumKey to Flaming Princess. She moved over to the bed and read Kibum’s message a couple of times before replying.

BumKey: Hello, Flaming Princess. As the 50th subscriber to write in for the Advice from BumKey segment, you have been selected to receive a special prize! Please provide a delivery address for the prize to be shipped out to you promptly.

Flaming Princess: Hello, Bumkey-ssi. Thanks for the consideration, but a prize is not necessary. I’m thankful for your advice. It provided the encouragement I needed.

BumKey: I’m glad the advice was helpful. Are you certain you don’t wish to receive the prize? I haven’t revealed what the prize is.

Flaming Princess: Yes, I’m certain. I apologize if my refusal to accept the prize inconveniences you as I would never wish to do so.

BumKey: It’s fine. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure I’ll find some use for it… As I said during the livestream, feel free to message me at any time.

Flaming Princess: Thank you very much.

***

“Oh, Junghee Noona, hello,” Taemin beamed while greeting her. Junghee smiled back, thinking about how adorable Taemin is when he smiles.  “Hyung, you didn’t tell me that Noona was here,” he added while grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. Jinki walked over to Taemin and ruffled his hair. Junghee pouted and said, “I wanted to watch you dance, but Chicken Oppa forbad me from entering your bedroom!”

Taemin glanced at Jinki in surprise, “Really? But why, Hyung? I wouldn’t have minded.” Junghee smirked and took a sip of her juice, enjoying how flustered Jinki has become. Jinki quickly responded, “I didn’t think it was okay for her to go in your room because she’s a girl.” Taemin giggled, “Aww, Hyung, what did you imagine would happen? I’m an innocent boy! Right, Noona?” Junghee’s face reddened and she suddenly coughed, remembering their practice before her kissing booth. Jinki glanced over with a concerned expression while Taemin smirked. She took a few sips of juice and cleared before responding, “Yes, very innocent Taeminnie.”

Junghee finished her juice and started packing up her notes and books. “I guess we can start the song practice session whenever you’re ready, Oppa.” Jinki nodded. “We can head down now. I have an area set up in the den.” “Assa! Could I watch? Please?” Taemin looked at them both with pleading eyes. Jinki smiled at Taemin before looking at Junghee with a questioning expression. “I don’t see why not,” he said.

Junghee, forcing herself to sound firm, told him, “You can watch our practice session only if Minjung and I can watch your practices with Bummie after school.” “Deal!” Taemin said quickly. “Shouldn’t you ask Bummie about this?” Jinki protested. Junghee stuck her tongue out at Jinki before smiling at Taemin. “Why should I ask Bummie? I’m not going there to see him. As President of the Lee Taemin Fanclub, I’m going to cheer for our cutie Dance Machine Taeminnie!” Jinki shook his head while Taemin beamed.

***

Kibum sighed as he looked at the merchandise that he had planned on sending to Flaming Princess as her prize. He had prepared an autographed shirt, a hat, a pen, and a mug, all displaying his BumKey Says logo. It’s odd to reject a prize without even finding out what the prize is… Maybe she doesn’t want to share her address, but why? Ah, well, I have bigger problems than rejected prizes. I may have a solution to my Choi dilemma. We could try a 3-week secret dating probation before the dance. I would trust Choi if she were able to keep this a secret from Junghee. At the end of the three weeks, I would decide whether to go to the dance or not. Feeling uneasy about the likelihood that Minjung would agree to the conditions of his secret dating probation, Kibum decided to make a Google Slides presentation to help convince her.

Just as Kibum was finishing the presentation, his stomach growled, so he grabbed his tablet and headed to the kitchen for a snack. He stopped in the doorway when he spotted Minjung seated at the kitchen island munching away on sliced peaches. He remained unnoticed by Minjung who savored the peaches with her eyes closed, stabbing at her plate of peaches with her fork and instinctively finding each time.  He should be angry that she’s eating all the fruit, but today, seeing her cheeks puffed up like a chipmunk’s stuffed with peaches, Kibum covered his mouth to muffle his laughter. Amused, he used his tablet to record her as she merrily ate every peach slice on her plate.

Minjung swallowed her last mouthful of peaches and her lips. She let out a contented sigh and opened her eyes to find Kibum at the doorway recording her with his tablet. “Sunbaenim?! How long have you been there?” Kibum chuckled, stopped the recording, and walked over to sit across from Minjung. “Long enough to see you eat peaches like a chipmunk. Seriously, Choi, what was that? 5 peaches at once?” “I’ll buy you more peaches! Just, please delete the video,” Minjung pleaded.

Kibum smirked, “No can do, Choi. I’m going to treasure this for a long time!” Minjung’s face turned red and she rumbled, “Is that recording revenge for this morning? I did not intend to walk in on you. And despite what you and Junghee may think, I am not a ert!” Kibum raised an eyebrow, “Choi, I know you’re not a ert… Wait, why would Junghee think that you’re a ert?” Minjung glanced down, embarrassed, “I told her what happened this morning.”

Kibum grabbed a banana from the banana stand on the island and ate silently for a few minutes. He finally sighed and said, “You girls tell each other everything, don’t you?” Minjung glanced at him with a confused expression and said, “Mostly everything. Even when we do have secrets from each other, we read each other so well that even our secrets aren’t secret.” Kibum bit his lip and rubbed the back of his neck. He swallowed and quickly asked, “What would you say if I suggested a secret 3-week probationary relationship leading up to the Sadie Hawkins dance? And at the end of the 3 weeks, we can decide whether to attend the dance together and date officially.”

Minjung stared at Kibum, eyes wide in disbelief. “I would say… Why so suddenly? You rejected me when I couldn’t answer you in 30 seconds before! Also, why does it have to be a secret? Are you ashamed to be seen in public with me or something?!” “No! It’s my boy crazy sister, Junghee. This must be a secret so that she can’t date during those 3 weeks! I’m sure she’s told you our parents’ new rule that she can’t date unless I do. I told her that I wouldn’t date until after she graduated. When you suddenly asked me to the dance after that, I worried it was another one of her schemes, and what was I supposed to think when you never explained your motives?”

Minjung winced from guilt. “I couldn’t explain it then. I’ll… I’ll explain on the day of the dance. Also, Junghee isn’t as boy crazy as you think she is, Sunbaenim. I know you’re being protective out of concern and you’ll always see her as your adorable kid sister… That’s why I wish she would have explained this misunderstanding sooner.” Kibum asked, “What do you mean? What aren’t you telling me, Choi?” Minjung sighed and shook her head, “I’ve said too much already. I just hope at the end of these 3 weeks there will be more trust and less secrets.”

Kibum nodded and smiled nervously, “Ideally there would be no secrets after the probationary period. I made a presentation on Google Slides. I could show you now if you want.” Minjung nodded and Kibum started the presentation on his tablet. The slides detailed Kibum’s definition of probationary dating, the requirement that the dating is secret, especially from Junghee, the agreement to have a total of 6 dates, 2 a week for 3 weeks, and lastly the agreement that either party can cancel the probationary relationship for any reason at any time during the 3 weeks.

Minjung stared at Kibum for a minute after looking over the presentation. He’s put a lot of thought and effort into this probationary dating thing. Finally, she spoke, “It feels like these three weeks are going to be a challenge.” Kibum nodded, “You like a good challenge, don’t you, Choi?” Minjung nodded, her eyes blazing intensely, “Yes, of course. Challenge accepted!” She held out her hand to him to seal the deal. Kibum smiled softly and shook her hand, “Good. Oh, and when we’re alone, call me ‘Oppa.’”

Minjung’s eyes widened and she pulled away. “O… Oppa?! I don’t call anyone that.” Kibum smirked, “Exactly! Don’t call anyone ‘Oppa’ except for me, okay?” “How could you add another condition at the last moment?” she protested, “Calling you ‘Hyung’ would be much easier for me.” Kibum rolled his eyes, “I refuse to become your 100th Hyung. Becoming your first Oppa is much more appealing. Besides, you like challenges.” Minjung pouted. “Fine! I’ll call you ‘Oppa’ if you call me ‘Minjung.’” Kibum laughed, “You drive a hard bargain, Choi.” Minjung glared at him. He giggled and said, “I mean, Minjung-ah is so cute when flustered!”

Minjung cleared . “So, Oppa… What do you want to do on our first date?” Kibum said, “Why don’t you decide, Minjung-ah? Wow me.” Minjung, nervous about having to impress him, thought for a moment and said, “How about a game of paintball? We would need at least six players plus a referee, so we’ll have to recruit more people, but it’s fun! I play with the Hyungs often.” Kibum scoffed, “So you run around with a bunch of guys until everyone’s dirty from paint?” He rolled his eyes and said sarcastically, “That sounds like loads of fun!”

Minjung frowned. “Why should we even bother? We obviously have nothing in common. Going on 6 dates that we’d both like is impossible.” Kibum nodded thoughtfully. “So instead, let’s each alternatively pick 3 dates that we’d like individually. For the first date, we’ll play paintball in a group. For the next date, I’d like to volunteer together at a child’s café.” Minjung smiled, “I like that idea. And I think volunteering with children would be great… Oppa!” Kibum smiled, glad that she sounded interested in children.

“So, Minjung, do you have other players in mind for the paintball game?” Kibum asked. Minjung nodded, “If you can convince Jinki Hyung and Taeminnie, I’ll be able to convince Junghee to come along. I can also ask Jungsoo Hyung to be the referee, and then Kim Heemi would complete the girls’ team.” Kibum nodded thoughtfully, “Jinki would sign up if I promise him chicken, and Taeminnie likes to run, so he should be easy to convince. I don’t know if inviting Junghee is a good idea…” Minjung said softly, “I know that you’re worried about Junghee, but I think she is the perfect person to invite.  Plus, we’ve barely started, and I already feel guilty about dating behind her back.”

Kibum sighed, “I know what you mean. Okay, we’ll invite Junghee to the paintball game. After the game, while the others go eat chicken, would you like to grab a pizza, Minjung-ah?” Minjung smiled, “Sure, Oppa, I would love to.”